Photo

Incorrect Tyres? (D'Ambrosio's penalty)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 1,813 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 22:04

Do we have any updates on this? If laps behind the SC do count as racing laps, why wasn't he supposed to change tyres? He did start on wets eventually...

Advertisement

#2 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 22:06

If the race starts behind the safety car because the track is wet you have to stay on wets until it comes in.

Noob error from Virgin.

#3 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Do we have any updates on this? If laps behind the SC do count as racing laps, why wasn't he supposed to change tyres? He did start on wets eventually...

Rembember Fuji 2007?
You have to stay on full wets when the SC is on the track because of the weather conditions.

Very, very elementary Virgin blunder.

#4 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

you can't change tyres in a wet start until the race ceases being under caution

#5 plastik2k9

plastik2k9

• 509 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 22:09

At first I thought, "wow, this could really work out well", then I noticed nobody else did the same and I remembered the rule. The rule is obviously there to prevent that; lots more cars would just dive in and change tyres. And there's the safety aspect.

#6 Jackman

Jackman

• 16,188 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 22:10

Technically, by the time d'Ambrosio entered the pits Vettel had already crossed the start line and the race had restarted. He was almost last anyway - it was worth a punt.

#7 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 23:05

Hard to believe the team cocked this up. But they did.

#8 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 23:07

If it shows two things, a bit of incompetence and eagerness from the Virgin team and that the SC was out far too long. A rookie in a handful of a car shouldn't be making what turns out to be the right decision to make a pitstop for intermediates when the track is apparently "too wet" for racing.

#9 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 23:11

Which brings the point of SC being out there for far too long - if this pattern continues they might as well save themselves the trouble of carrying the full wets around.

#10 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:53

This is the problem with Drive through peanalties, theres no appeal.

If I was Virgin I would have appealed, the rules say if the race is (re)started under the SC due to heavy rain then all car must use wets until the SC returns to the pits. I would argue that the SC wasn't out due to heavy rain, its wasn't actually raining ! If the rain was heavy Custard wouldn't have passed 10 cars before his penalty !