Brumm Blitzen Benzes

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 21:29

Brumm sell two versions of the Bitzen Benz -

R73 which they describe as 1911 Record 227 kM/hr, ie the Bob Burman record at Daytona. The model is silver, has a chrome radiator surround and stub exhausts.

R81 which they describe as 1911 Versione Indianapolis, whatever that may mean. This model is white with a brass radiator and a large German Eagle and "Blitzen Benz" signwritten on it and the name "Barney Oldfield" on the tail. It has a conventional low level exhaust with the four branches feeding into a single pipe.

There is also a special edition with "blue" low level exhaust produced, I think, for an Australian GP.

Now, photos show that the car that Bob Burnham drove to set the record was probably white with a dark or brass radiator and had a small German Eagle and "Blitzen Benz" in larger letters than the Brumm R81.

I recently bought a R73 and am now wondering what version of the car the Brumm model depicts? My experience is that Brumm model something but not necessarily what they say it is. Does anyone know?

I have also raised the question on the main Nostalgia Forum on the thread Blitzen Benz without saying that it relates to the model I bought.

Edited by D-Type, 13 June 2011 - 21:37.