Trulli applauds FIA's calls in Canada

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 R2D2

R2D2

• 780 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 15:19

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/92345

"I think that, never as much as today, the FIA must be applauded. It did not make a wrong decision and got everything right"

Advertisement

#2 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 15:22

"I think that, never as much as today, the FIA must be applauded. It did not make a wrong decision and got everything right"

Posted Image

#3 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 33,020 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 16:05

Let's hope Lotus will make a right decision at the end of this season too.

#4 HAM

HAM

• 531 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 16:12

Hopefully Trulli makes finally the right decision at the end of the season too. LOL

#5 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 16:15

Translation: "The next time we have a wet track, I would like to trundle round behind the safety car until conditions are good enough for intermediates".

Jarno has every right to state his opinion and without question it is formed from experiences that nobody posting on this board has. Nonetheless, I sincerely hope his view is not shared by the majority of the field.

#6 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,258 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 16:22

Trulli has never been a good wet-weather driver. One of the ones whose performance goes down when it's wet. That has shown at least since his Prost days IMO.

#7 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 16:25

No surprise there Trulli and Rubens are the ultimate in the anti-racing pro-health and safety segment

#8 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 16:26

I think they deserve huge credit. When they get it wrong, everyone kills them but today they did everything perfectly, virtually within a lap. They didn't mess around, they got on with it, did a very very good job for all of us. They had a very good understanding or feeling of the car so bloody good job from the guys up there to help us out today and yet still have a good car race, so they did a good job.

Same message. Maybe they weren't so far off.

#9 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,310 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 16:29

come on, if we listen to Trulli or Rubens........

the safety cars were way too long. If they say different it's because they would have sucked in the wet.

#10 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 17:01

Trulli and Mark Webber are both 100% right. They know what it was like and they know why it was redflagged. Great decisions all weekend.

#11 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,455 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 17:08

Hopefully Trulli makes finally the right decision at the end of the season too. LOL

:up:

#12 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 17:19

They might as well tell Pirelli to not bother shipping wet tires if they are so scared of the wet. Doesn't matter what tires they are on when it actually rains since the race will be behind a safety car.

#13 R2D2

R2D2

• 780 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 17:22

Good point. I loved the irony of them complaining that they hadn't had much experience with the Pirelli wet tyres, so that's why they didn't want to run on them. I was sat there wondering how they might get experience...

#14 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 19:46

Trulli's quote sounds like it could have come from the Iraqi Information Minister.

#15 jals99

jals99

• 1,063 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 20:12

Let's hope Lotus will make a right decision at the end of this season too.

Yeah, lets hope they'll extend Jarno's contract to the end of 2014 :)
Only with Jarno's help Team Lotus is ahead HRT in Constructors Cup, Liuzzi is ahead of Heikki in Drivers Championship now :)

Edited by jals99, 14 June 2011 - 20:13.

#16 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 20:19

so who is complaining? :p

#17 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 20:21

Only with Jarno's help Team Lotus is ahead HRT in Constructors Cup, Liuzzi is ahead of Heikki in Drivers Championship now :)

Beating your team mate when he has had a more unreliable car is hardly "ahead". Heikki has solidly outqualified Jarno, and let's not forget Trulli is strong over a lap, making that statistic rather worse.

He's old, and was lucky that Tony needed someone experienced to start up.

#18 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 20:27

They might as well tell Pirelli to not bother shipping wet tires if they are so scared of the wet. Doesn't matter what tires they are on when it actually rains since the race will be behind a safety car.

Totally agree.

#19 jals99

jals99

• 1,063 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 20:29

Beating your team mate when he has had a more unreliable car is hardly "ahead". Heikki has solidly outqualified Jarno, and let's not forget Trulli is strong over a lap, making that statistic rather worse.

This year qualy means a lot less, and Jarno is struggling a lot with power steering only in qual, in race when the car is heavy, it is OK, and his pace it a bit faster than Heikkis, he was comfortably ahead of Heikki in Turkey, Spain and Monaco races.
He also gives good feedback about car behavior according to Mike and Tony, in this area Heikki is not so good.

Advertisement

#20 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 20:44

In the first part of the race there was a couple of drivers who pitted for inters after the track started to dry and were putting in great lap times. I think Sutil and Schumacher were some of them.
Then after a few laps the rain started to come down again heavier and eventually the race was red flagged. But before that, those drivers had pitted yet again for full wets.

I was thinking at the time that they could keep the inters on because surely the safety car will come out (as it did).

#21 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 20:54

I think Trulli should stop stealing a living as an F1 driver and give a younger, more hungry guy a chance. IMO of course.

#22 Tufty

Tufty

• 10,568 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 21:05

I think Trulli should stop stealing a living as an F1 driver and give a younger, more hungry guy a chance. IMO of course.

FWIW I agree.

#23 soarer

soarer

• 38 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 21:13

Trulli and Webber are absolutely right.
I prefer to see racing, instead of synchronous swimming :wave:

#24 soarer

soarer

• 38 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 21:15

Exactly! :up:

#25 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,443 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 21:20

Off to the retirement home for you, Jarno old boy! :p

#26 Vereint

Vereint

• 91 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 21:29

Just retire Jarno. The most boring pointless driver on the grid.

#27 soarer

soarer

• 38 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 21:34

This year qualy means a lot less, and Jarno is struggling a lot with power steering only in qual, in race when the car is heavy, it is OK, and his pace it a bit faster than Heikkis, he was comfortably ahead of Heikki in Turkey, Spain and Monaco races.
He also gives good feedback about car behavior according to Mike and Tony, in this area Heikki is not so good.

agree
And still, Jarno has spent race in very dangerous conditions.
Here about it So, he risked for the team enough.
Enough to understand his words wisely

#28 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,310 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 21:38

Trulli and Webber are absolutely right.
I prefer to see racing, instead of synchronous swimming :wave:

yes, safety car racing is the best

I mean you never see the pack so close running for so many laps without anybody being able to pull away. the excitement is fantastic

#29 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 21:46

Well in the 60s and 70s when Jackie Stewart talked about safety they made fun of him too. I wouldn't call Webber a pussy and I think this time the drivers know what they are talking about and why.

#30 soarer

soarer

• 38 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 21:46

yes, safety car racing is the best

No :) But we saw 63 laps without safety car.
NASCAR at all doesn't drive in the rain and there is no problem

Edited by soarer, 14 June 2011 - 21:50.

#31 Gene and Tonic

Gene and Tonic

• 555 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 23:11

Because oval racing in the rain really IS dangerous

#32 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,310 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 23:20

I don't care about NASCAR. as relevant as talking about wrestling in a boxing match.

F1 drivers used to be able to drive in the rain. Spain 1996, spa 1998, fuji 2007 were all fantastic races.
On sunday we saw 22 worlds best racers behind a safety car crusing to dry the tarmac. Pathetic

#33 soarer

soarer

• 38 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 23:40

Off to the retirement home for you, Jarno old boy! :p

Just retire Jarno. The most boring pointless driver on the grid.

http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=5110927
:rotfl: :clap:

#34 Peat

Peat

• 8,871 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:57

They made the correct call on the flag, no question.

But regarding the restart, when you have Felipe Massa saying conditions are 'OK', you know you should have started the race a dozen laps previous..... :/

#35 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:06

Trulli, Webber and Rubens are the biggest cuplits with the sanitisation of the sport in recent years. They complain about everything. Worst thing to happen is the GPDA, and giving them so much power. You give people a voice and power and they abuse it, that is the common story of life in general, and now its gotten hold of F1 and poisioning it.

#36 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:35

Trulli, Webber and Rubens are the biggest cuplits with the sanitisation of the sport in recent years. They complain about everything. Worst thing to happen is the GPDA, and giving them so much power. You give people a voice and power and they abuse it, that is the common story of life in general, and now its gotten hold of F1 and poisioning it.

Come on that is too far, the drivers organised themselves as only they really know where some of the danger comes from, and most of what has been complained about has made the sport better and more safer. The three you mentioned do complain more, often on issues that many of us don't agree with, so there is a middle ground. Given what was said from other drivers during the extended safety car period, many of them do not agree with Trulli.

#37 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:46

Come on that is too far, the drivers organised themselves as only they really know where some of the danger comes from, and most of what has been complained about has made the sport better and more safer.

Better? How? Certainly safer, but I could make it even safer by making them all drive around in go karts. Making the sport safer does not mean making it better, in fact it's the opposite. Motorsport and F1 is not meant to be a safe sport, and many drivers seem to have forgotten. A driver gets a concussion and they all act like it's the end of the world, yet football players get concussions and broken bones very often, and they don't get paid millions.

#38 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:48

Alan McNish's accident just shows that's indeed the public that's in danger not the drivers these days.

#39 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,455 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:57

... yet football players get concussions and broken bones very often, and they don't get paid millions.

Wut.

Advertisement

#40 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:58

Wut.

I was referring to rugby players. F1 drivers have turned into spoilt little primadonna's. They should not be listening to kids like Vettel who clearly don't even like getting wet anymore.

#41 faaaz

faaaz

• 1,870 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:09

The fact there hasn't been a death in F1 since 1994 ( lets hope it stays that way) gives people a false impression and they call drivers "pussy" as soon as they complain about something. You have to remember F1 is a dangerous sport, and no one on the grid wants to die. Whilst personally I think the safety car was a bit overboard, I don't think you can criticise drivers for wanting more safety.

#42 SmercH

SmercH

• 93 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:46

For those who backs Trulli, Webber, Barrichello and this FIA decision - please answer this question. Whats the purpose of full wet tyres then?

SC led the pack until everyone was ready to switch to inters. Even worse - they forced the drivers to stay out on full wets when conditions already favoured inters (d'Ambrozio)...

#43 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:59

Better? How? Certainly safer, but I could make it even safer by making them all drive around in go karts. Making the sport safer does not mean making it better, in fact it's the opposite. Motorsport and F1 is not meant to be a safe sport, and many drivers seem to have forgotten. A driver gets a concussion and they all act like it's the end of the world, yet football players get concussions and broken bones very often, and they don't get paid millions.

Motorsport is only meant to be dangerous because of the high speeds, anything that can be done, within keeping F1 as the fastest open-cockpit sport, makes the sport better. You're now making the assumption that just because a driver happened to support the safety car staying out to long, to the detriment of the sport, that all driver efforts to improve safety are bad for the sport. That's competely wrong, things like safer barriers and extremely strong survival cells are nothing but good changes, not affecting the sport in the slightest.

#44 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,443 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:45

The fact there hasn't been a death in F1 since 1994 ( lets hope it stays that way) gives people a false impression and they call drivers "pussy" as soon as they complain about something. You have to remember F1 is a dangerous sport, and no one on the grid wants to die. Whilst personally I think the safety car was a bit overboard, I don't think you can criticise drivers for wanting more safety.

You can make the sport 100% safe tomorrow if you like. Just limit all the cars to 20mph. Would rather take away the point of the thing, though :p

There's obviously an acceptable degree of risk involved. We just seem to have a slight dispute between Jarno and some other drivers (and Charlie) and some fans about what it is. For me, I had no problems wih the red flag but the safety car start and the number of laps it was out after the restart were just too far.

#45 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 13:09

We cannot have seen 63 laps without the safety car, because there was only 70 laps in total. I think that at a guess there were 25 laps held behind a safety car in total. Maybe somebody can help us get a more accurate figure.

Trulli is wrong. The fia did make some mistakes on Sunday. The red flag was not one of them, but some of the safety car laps were the mistake. There is no argument about this. If people were pitting for inters before the safety car came in, this does suggest a mistake to me.

#46 faaaz

faaaz

• 1,870 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 14:45

You can't really judge whether the safety car that came out second time was right or not. I don't think they should've started under the safety car though. And drivers did come back for the Wets as soon as it started raining again, and I think most the drivers agreed on the second safety car, and I would rather go on a driver's judgement  ;) But safety car start was definitely a bit lame, considering there was no standing water and it was just a wet track.

#47 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 14:52

We cannot have seen 63 laps without the safety car, because there was only 70 laps in total. I think that at a guess there were 25 laps held behind a safety car in total. Maybe somebody can help us get a more accurate figure.

Laps behind the Safety Car during the 2011 Canadian Grand Prix:

1-4 (4 total)
8-12 (9 total)
20-24 (14 total)
*Red Flag*
25-34 (24 total)
37-40 (28 total)
57-60 (32 total)

32 laps out of 70 = 46%

It's possible I made a mistake, please correct me if I did. :)

Edited by Nonesuch, 15 June 2011 - 14:53.

#48 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 17:03

Thank you nonesuch. 46% of a race is far to much time to run under a safety car, for three incidents that needed cleaning up swiftly and a bit of rain. (ok, a lot but still.)

They really need to get some better systems into place because frankly they are quite lucky that there were not more safety cars called out.

#49 jonnoj

jonnoj

• 1,114 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 18:34

F1 is not dangerous. It might be fast, there are accidents, but the drivers seldom, if ever, get hurt. There are dangerous sports, here's a list

The Most Dangerous Sports In The World

F1 doesn't feature, but oddly, Cheerleading does. So, when I hear Truilli complaining, I know it's time he packed his bags and pissed off back to his vineyard.

#50 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 19:13

F1 is not dangerous. It might be fast, there are accidents, but the drivers seldom, if ever, get hurt. There are dangerous sports, here's a list

The Most Dangerous Sports In The World

F1 doesn't feature, but oddly, Cheerleading does. So, when I hear Truilli complaining, I know it's time he packed his bags and pissed off back to his vineyard.

Really? :rolleyes:

That list is simply comprised of adding up the number of fatalities and injuries, and when you only have a pool of 24 F1 is going to seem remarkably safe compared to sports (and cheerleading?) with participants in the thousands. There were two drivers with minor injuries two weeks back, 09 had Glock with leg injuries and Massa being very lucky not to have been killed, not to mention mishaps in the pitlane hurting the engineers. It makes a tiny number, but F1 is still very much dangerous.