F1 Belgian GP Advice

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 FiveYards

FiveYards

• 52 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 17:11

Hello :wave:

I'm travelling with some friends to the Belgium Grand Prix in 2011, getting the plane in from the UK into Brussels Airport, and staying near LiĆØge train station.

Does anybody have any advice on travelling from Brussels to LiĆØge, we don't plan on hiring a car, so would train be the best option? Are taxis expensive?

Travelling to the circuit, is this easy by public transport too? We'll be staying about a 5 minute walk away from LiƩge train station, is it best to book tickets in advanced? Any advice on routes to take would be fantastic! :)

We have general admission tickets for the weekend and plan to get in early each day. On Friday and Saturday can you sit where you like, or is it only the bronze areas?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciate. As this is my first time going to watch F1 live!

Advertisement

#2 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,753 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 19:42

You'll love it. Take good walking shoes.

I went with general admission and wasn't allowed in any grandstand on Friday and Saturday.

Sit in the trees near the bus stop at some point :up:

#3 FiveYards

FiveYards

• 52 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 19:59

Shame about the grandstands on Friday and Saturday, I think you can at Silverstone. Just checked out your photos though, if they're all general admission the spots look pretty decent. Thanks for the tips :up:

Did you go on Thursday for the pit/track walk? Something I'm planning to do

#4 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,753 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 23:35

Shame about the grandstands on Friday and Saturday, I think you can at Silverstone. Just checked out your photos though, if they're all general admission the spots look pretty decent. Thanks for the tips :up:

Did you go on Thursday for the pit/track walk? Something I'm planning to do

Yes, Silverstone has grandstand roaming :up:

No I wasn't there for the Thursday. I did that once at Hockenheim and it was a great experience.

There are so many good vantage points at Spa. I feel sorry for someone who sticks to their allocated seat the entire weekend, although I was naively guilty of that at the first GP I went to.

Make sure you try the frites et mayonnaise :clap:

Edited by chdphd, 17 June 2011 - 12:21.

#5 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,304 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:09

Hello :wave:

I'm travelling with some friends to the Belgium Grand Prix in 2011, getting the plane in from the UK into Brussels Airport, and staying near LiĆØge train station.

Does anybody have any advice on travelling from Brussels to LiĆØge, we don't plan on hiring a car, so would train be the best option? Are taxis expensive?

Travelling to the circuit, is this easy by public transport too? We'll be staying about a 5 minute walk away from LiƩge train station, is it best to book tickets in advanced? Any advice on routes to take would be fantastic! :)

We have general admission tickets for the weekend and plan to get in early each day. On Friday and Saturday can you sit where you like, or is it only the bronze areas?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciate. As this is my first time going to watch F1 live!

If you are arriving at the main Brussels Zaventum airport, there are frequent direct trains that stop at the 3 main Brussels Nord, Central & Midi stations. There will be, again, fairly frequent trains to Liege from any of those stations. (Take care - sometimes you need the front or rear 5 carriages - check with the guard, they usually speak English) Some trains going Liege stop at the airport anyway. Fares are reasonable. A weekend return is less than Ā£20 but you may pay more if arriving before Saturday. You can book at the airport ticket office or online at www.b-rail.be.
Not sure about travel to the circuit but there are trains from Liege to Verviers & I'm sure there will be bus services from both those places. Best ask at your hotel. You shouldn't need a taxi anywhere.
Enjoy!

#6 FiveYards

FiveYards

• 52 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 16:50

Thanks for all your help! :up:

Do you know what times the Thursday opening is this year?

#7 oli80

oli80

• 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 18:29

It's been 10 years since I've been to Spa so this year a handful of friends and I have decided to go back. We've got weekend passes and are camping at the track. I was hoping that we'd be able to sit up on the hillside between Rivage and Pouhon but it looks like they have now put a fence up to prevent people from sitting there.

So, any suggestions where to sit for the race? Bus stop looks interesting but looks like it will be very busy on race day. We'll have a walk around on the Saturday for a look ourselves but extra input would be very welcome.

Thanks

#8 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:45

Im also going there! :D

But im one of those "naive" ticket holders, thats mainly to see the start though.... Will be sitting at Gold 7 :)

I guess i will be spending lots of time in the Puhon section. You have to se F1 cars there live! 250-something kph at the entry of two almost 90 degree corners!!!!!
Bus Stop is also great but it has lost some of the possibilitys to come really close to the cars since the 2007 rebuild...

As for walking the track it may be possible after the race if you sneek past the marshalls in a good way, i did that in 2009.

Have a nice trip =)

#9 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 13:47

from memory
fri - stavelot and bus stop
sat - les combes then pouhon for qual
sun - exit of eau rouge for the race

this was in 2001 tho but had a cracking weekend - towards the end of the race ladders started appearing for folk to jump the fence and walk on the track - dunno if they still do that tho

watched the start of the porsches from the merchandise area at la source and you dont realise how steep eau rouge is

Edited by fifi, 06 July 2011 - 13:49.

#10 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:14

I'll have general admission this year.

Where should I stand? Never been in the Blanchimont section.

#11 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:02

I'll have general admission this year.

Where should I stand? Never been in the Blanchimont section.

anyone?

#12 Dodi_napalm

Dodi_napalm

• 13 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:13

Go to exit straith of Pouhon - great position you can see all of Pouhon corner and entry of Fagnes, across the track is big screen so it's a good place to stand.
Don't drink local beer - taste like piss, take umbrella or something for the rain :)

#13 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 482 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:14

anyone?

To be honest I don't know, when I went I was in a seat and also missed the Friday, not making that mistake this year.

Here's a link to a helpful site, you should get some answers...

http://www.f1fanatic...champs-belgium/

#14 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 17:20

thank you for this. I will go by train. Should I stop at Verviers or drive through to Spa station?

Edited by Antonov, 17 July 2011 - 17:34.

#15 siberianlady

siberianlady

• 119 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 18:51

Antonov
do not whatever you do get transport to Spa or you'll have a really long walk.....the track is in Francorchamps but its a common mistake! There is a regular bus from Verviers to the track and if you want lots of info then look at the thread on F1fanatic's site as recommended.
We go every year (whole bunch of us meet there each year) and have a great time. It is usually pretty cold and wet though so take proper clothing and stay dry.
Disagree with the verdict on local beers......some are excellent and pretty cheap compared to UK stuff.
We also go bronze and like Kemmel for race day.....you can see loads of the track from there as as its the DRS zone this year we hope for some action.
They open the track up after the race so you can walk around.
And if you want a look at the Eau Rouge and other grandstands then wait till F1 practice is over Fridays as they do open them all up then.....so you may at least see a bit of the support practices etc.....
Pitlane walk is 4pm Thursday but is a bit of a mad crush....especially for the top teams.
Enjoy....can't wait personally as its my highlight every year!

#16 goodduck

goodduck

• 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 21:10

if youre interested, this is my really quick and dirty write up of my experience at the belgian GP last year. full of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. http://www.theautoun...hp?topic=7240.0

otherwise basic advice: prepare for the cold. i couldnt believe how cold it was. probably got down to 40 F at night. also we had no sleeping pads in our tent which made it really difficult to sleep. dont take pictures of drunk campers starting fires. they might get in your face.

i sat at pouhon and ran to eau rouge for the last 5 laps or so. it was possible because there was a safety car. otherwise we would have missed a bit. it was worth it to see the cars at eau rouge. its not a great view from general admission but its worth a look for at least some of the race.

here is a sloppy video i made from the trip

#17 Shellz

Shellz

• 82 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:28

I've not been to Spa for a few years now but used to go regularly. It's the one track where I prefer GA to a grandstand ticket. Bus stop, Pouhon and Eau Rouge are favourite spots of mine. For the race I would watch the start at Eau Rouge, generally just standing in the food area rather than trying to fight my way to the fence, and then slowly walk around the circuit to watch a bit at each corner as the whole circuit is fab.

#18 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 16:21

Hello folks!

I will been given a bunch of GP2/GP3 PIT AND PADDOCK PASSES from one of my personal sponsors (im a racecar driver).

I don't know how many because as i said i havn't got them yet, BUT if there is any over after my friends have got theirs i will post it here later if anyone of you would be interested :)

(i will also get Red Bull-pit acces, but those are personal ;) )

#19 siberianlady

siberianlady

• 119 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 20:21

Hello folks!

I will been given a bunch of GP2/GP3 PIT AND PADDOCK PASSES from one of my personal sponsors (im a racecar driver).

I don't know how many because as i said i havn't got them yet, BUT if there is any over after my friends have got theirs i will post it here later if anyone of you would be interested :)

Brilliant- would love one if you have anything left over..........otherwise good luck!

Advertisement

#20 FiveYards

FiveYards

• 52 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 16:14

Hello folks!

I'd be definitely interested if you get any spare! :)

#21 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 482 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 20:19

Hello folks!

Oh go on then, add me to the list!

Cheers mate, Murdoch

#22 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:30

thanks for all the help guys. I was away for a few weeks.

Spa is close now :smoking:

what is the best place for photos from a bronze stand? and any autograph sessions?

Edited by Antonov, 14 August 2011 - 09:48.

#23 siberianlady

siberianlady

• 119 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:32

thanks for all the help guys. I was away for a few weeks.

Spa is close now :smoking:

what is the best place for photos from a bronze stand? and any autograph sessions?

Hi Antonov
autograph sessions are during the pitlane walk so if you'll be there listen for the announcements as to whcih driver is on at which time (they have allocated time spots so involves a bit of running around unless you are heading for anyone in particular).

#24 Reutemann

Reutemann

• 7 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:27

PM sent!!!

Hello folks!

#25 FiveYards

FiveYards

• 52 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:21

Great event would definitely go again, however would try to stay closer to the circuit as LiƩge is quite far away.

I wasn't looking forward to the bus journeys as you hear horror stories about them never turning up after the GP, however I have to give full credit to Infotec for an excellent service on Saturday and Sunday, it was a few hours wait on Thursday and Friday, which did put me off using them on the weekend. But they had senior members of staff at the track and at Verviers which organised special buses if required.

Edited by FiveYards, 29 August 2011 - 10:21.