Photo

Motorsport in Bulgaria

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 858 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:58

We have a holiday property in Bulgaria and I was wondering if there is any current motorsport in the country. I think there used to be some races in the Peace & Friendship Cup in the past and last year there was a WRC round there - thus presumably there are enough experienced organisers and marshals to run such an event.
We are near the Black Sea and there are some great roads for rallying and losts of empty land for developing a race circuit. There was some mention of a GP there in the future. However I've not seen any likely competition cars or any sign of motorsport on my travels there.
Are there any current circuits operating or any national rallies?

Advertisement

#2 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:28

We have a holiday property in Bulgaria and I was wondering if there is any current motorsport in the country. I think there used to be some races in the Peace & Friendship Cup in the past and last year there was a WRC round there - thus presumably there are enough experienced organisers and marshals to run such an event.
We are near the Black Sea and there are some great roads for rallying and losts of empty land for developing a race circuit. There was some mention of a GP there in the future. However I've not seen any likely competition cars or any sign of motorsport on my travels there.
Are there any current circuits operating or any national rallies?

Rally Bulgaria - 7th-10th July (FIA European Rally Championship)
Rally Trayanovi Vrata - 14th-15th May (FIA European Rally Cup East)
Rally Sliven - 26th-28th August (FIA European Rally Cup East)

#3 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:42

Bulgaria has a touring car championship (BGTCC) that races on several crude circuits on city streets and motorways, in places like Burgas, Ruse, Sofia and Velika Tarnovo. YouTube has many videos of these races, search for BGTCC and you'll find them.

There is also a permanent circuit just south of Kaloyanovo, which has a website here.

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:42

You can also find some interesting pictures - including races on a now disused dirt oval in Sofia - on the Lost Bulgaria website:

http://translate.goo...ostbulgaria.com

Click on sport in the bar at the top and you'll then get options for Automobile and Motorcycling, much of it featuring Dimitar Sokolov - a Bulgarian version of Petre Cristea!

#5 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:51

The Bulgarian Motorsport Federation has a website here. The calender for the 2011 BGTCC season seems to be as follows:

01/05 Veliko Tarnovo
29/05 Drakon (Kaloyanovo)
12/06 Ruse
11/09 Haskovo
02/10 Drakon (Kaloyanovo)
16/10 Burgas
05/11 Serres (Greece)

There is also a Bulgarian hillclimb championship.

Edited by Rob Semmeling, 20 June 2011 - 12:57.

#6 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:53

This is also an incredibly useful website for eastern European motorsport by the way: http://www.puru.de.