Freddie Dixon

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jatwarks

jatwarks

• 202 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:53

Hi all,

I'm trying to trace copies of articles that I believe Freddie Dixon contributed to Autocar magazine in the 1940s.

The articles were on engine / chassis tuning and may have been a limited series or regular column.

I can find no trace of them, and little information about them.

Any available information about which volumes, dates, etc, of the magazines contained the articles would be most appreciated.

I will happily purchase copies of the articles, or the complete magazines, if they are available (and of limited number).

Any other articles of a similar nature by Dixon would also be of interest.

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,849 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:59

I know of two series, each of five articles, both published in 1945. The first series was called "My Plunge into Car Racing", published in successive issues starting from February 2nd, and the second "Track Tribulations", which started on September 21st. "My Plunge into Car Racing" covers preparation for the 1932 Tourist Trophy and "Track Tribulations" tells the story of the building of Red Mongrel.

#3 jatwarks

jatwarks

• 202 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:05

Thanks very much; I'll follow those up.

#4 Perruqueporte

Perruqueporte

• 125 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 16:42

Nothing by Freddie Dixon, but if you collect anything and everything to do with him, then you may be interested in a photograph of his home made British Motorcycle Racing Club (Bemsee) car badge, which I have (go to http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream). All of Freddie Dixon's car badges were on display in the Cross Keys pub in Lawrence Street, Chelsea in London until about 30 years ago. When the then landlord left the pub (which I lived next door to for a while) he kindly gave me the Bemsee badge because of my interest in motorcycle racing. The base of the badge is a very early RAC car badge which has been cut down to accommodate the Bemsee placque. No idea what happened to all of Freddy Dixon's car-related badges which formed part of the display in the Cross Keys.

Christopher Wigdor

#5 jatwarks

jatwarks

• 202 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:48

Nothing by Freddie Dixon, but if you collect anything and everything to do with him, then you may be interested in a photograph of his home made British Motorcycle Racing Club (Bemsee) car badge, which I have

Thanks for this information Chris, but I'm not a Freddie Dixon collector, I'm just interseted in the articles mentioned.

#6 Steve L

Steve L

• 547 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 16:46

I seem to remember that Freddie Dixon had his own way of sizing a radiator based on engine capacity, to make sure that his cars had the lowest possible frontal area.

Does anyone have details of his method please :) ?