Photo

Alexis Mk9 F3 / F2 - History help please?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 giffo

giffo

• 281 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:33

Hello All,

Alexis Mk9 F2 – history help please?

We have here in Perth West Aust an Alexis Mk9 which I need to track a little history on.
If I may ask, could a couple of TNF’ers apply some of their sleuth techniques to this?

This is what I know
Alexis Mk9
Originally built as a F3 works car by the Alexis Factory and driven by Peter Watts and Allan Taylor but was unsuccessful.
In 1967 it was then fitted with new chassis plate by the Alexis factory which states March 1967, Formula 2, Chassis No. TR2.
The car was sent to the USA but as a number of Alexis cars drove in the Formula B events in the states these records do not include the chassis number or model.

Autosport 20 December 1969 (pp24) “Only one development car was made in 1966 – the Mk9 F3 – so one can see how far the concern has come on in recent times. The new F3 chassis was “new throughout” with a stronger chassis and modified body. Unfortunately Allan Taylor’s efforts during 1966 were rather spoilt by an unusually troublesome Cosworth MAE engine, but subsequently a Mk9 has been enjoying quite a bit of success in SCCA Formula B races.”

Raced in 1995 at Prescott U.K. by Jeremy Thurston
http://www.resultsma...mp;CompID=25713
1998 Car sold to G Buckland of Battle in U.K.
1999 Chris Alford of Buckland U.K. sells the car on behalf of Mr Buckland to Tony Archer and the car is exported to Australia.
2010 the car is sold by Tony to Neil McCrudden

Tony Archer mostly restored the car before selling to Neil which has since been completed. Unfortunately Tony, who is now in his mid 80’s, cannot any longer locate find the complete history file of the car with all important fill for the gaps that we now have.

Cheers & Regards,

Giffo

Posted Image
The Alexis today
Colin McKee sitting in the Alexis. For those of you who know speedway & solo bikes in particular should recognize this kiwi's name from the 60's/70's

Posted Image
Chassis Plate

Advertisement

#2 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,389 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:56

I recall an F3 race at Silverstone, run in rather damp conditions, which was won by Keith Vickery in a works Alexis, followed by Paul Rendle in his Cooper BMC (An older FJ car bought from Roy Lane, the hillclimber), so presumably the F3 history of the marque started before the late '60s.

#3 RAP

RAP

• 702 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:34

I presume you have consulted Duncan Rabagliati ?

#4 giffo

giffo

• 281 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:28

I presume you have consulted Duncan Rabagliati ?

Yep. He has been contacted, Thanks

#5 andyrp26

andyrp26

• 33 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 23:37

Hi, Any clues as to the origonal colours it might have been painted? Is it fitted with a BRM Ford Twin Cam?
Cheers Andy :confused:

#6 giffo

giffo

• 281 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:18

Hi, Any clues as to the origonal colours it might have been painted? Is it fitted with a BRM Ford Twin Cam?
Cheers Andy :confused:

It did come with a BRM T/C but alas the owner does not know the actual original colour.
The two images below show some details

Cheers So Far.....

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:10

I will ask Peter Watts about the colour when I see him later today.

#8 andyrp26

andyrp26

• 33 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 22:03

Well this is interesting i was suprised to see my old car in OZ.Here is a digital pic of the origonal,now faded and bent photo of me at Silverstone in 1973.The car had been a nightmare all year as i had tried to be to clever using Tecalmet fuel injection.The metering unit was controlled by an excentric cam and nobody i found could come up with a sensible setting, ergo it just used to wash neat fuel in vast quantaties down the bores! For its last race with me i borrowed some 45 DCOE's,engine went like hell but showed the handling left a lot to be desired.I put it up for sale and a man from the North East came down paid his money and that was the last time i saw it till now. I did recieve a phone call in the mid 90's from someone that had bought it from Liverpool and was trying to find out its history, i let him have a the copy of the the photo i had,and subsequently you acquired and posted.Posted Image

Edited by andyrp26, 24 June 2011 - 22:30.

#9 giffo

giffo

• 281 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 23:12

Hi Andy

Wonders do never seem to cease, Do they? Bet you never thought an old car you owned would show up on the net so soon.
Sharing what you know will be great asset to this project.
Anyhow have send to a PM

Cheers

#10 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:12

The original colour was a Jaguar dark metallic blue with silver nose band.

#11 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:04

The original colour was a Jaguar dark metallic blue with silver nose band.

There are many of us in Western Australia who have for the first time have seen the car race, many would like to know the history of this rather elegant car, can we hear some more about it from the POMS and The Yanks!!!

Or should that be our Allies!!

Edited by BMH Comic, 29 June 2011 - 12:09.

#12 giffo

giffo

• 281 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:21

Many thanks to those who have contributed to this, esp. TNF’s Andyrp26.

The vehicles time Line to date

Originally built by the Alexis Factory as a Mk9 F3 car in 1966
Appears the car was rebadged as a F2 in 1967, the new owners took it as a Mk10

1968,1969, TBC

1969/1970 - Purchased by Rob Turnbull

Posted Image
Rob Turnbull – note the original roll bar & note from Andy below in 1974 section.

On Alan's Old Racing Cars website there is a reference to a Mk 10 Alexis (TR3?) driven by Rob Turnbull with a FVA on 28 May 1973 at Bassingbourne
http://www.oldracing...php?RaceID=S73C
(Likely to be the same car)
Posted Image
1973 Painted Orange #59 now with BDA and revised roll bar

Sold by Rob to Andy Turnock
Posted Image
The super good looking Andy Turnock from 1974

Note from Andy confirming correct chassis
Rob is quite tall and the original roll bar was stupidly small. He had it replaced with the one still on the car, this was this feature that caught my eye in the first posting. Also the other truly unique feature of this chassis is the lower front wishbone which was meant to be antidive, not convinced on that one.”
(refer to images above)

1975- Andy sold the car to ???? in the Newcastle/ Middlesborough
area the builder guy bought the car from Liverpool.

1975- 1995 TBC

Raced in 1995 at Prescott U.K. by Jeremy Thurston
http://www.resultsma...mp;CompID=25713

1998 Car sold to G Buckland of Battle in U.K.

Listed as a Mk10 but with correct chassis plate at Coys auction - 1999
http://www.motorbase...y-id/532948685/

1999 Chris Alford of Buckland U.K. sells the car on behalf of Mr Buckland to Tony Archer and the car is exported to Australia.

2010 the car is sold by Tony to Neil McCrudden
Posted Image
The Alexis as is today.

#13 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:57

Just a plug to a great site:
http://www.alexisregistry.com/

#14 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,538 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 19:19

giffo, are you still following this thread?  I found some info on an Alexis-twin cam in 1970 that could be the car that Turnbull bought.  Have you made any progress on that period of the car's life?

#15 giffo

giffo

• 281 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:12

Hi Allen

Not really following TNF as much now but I do occasionally have a sticky beak. Its a shame Facebook has stuffed a lot of these forums up. 

Please send on what ever you have learned if you don't mind as I'm sure the cars owner will be very thankful

Regards,

Giffo

#16 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,538 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:42

I agree about Facebook - anything that gets posted there can't be found two days later.  It's very frustrating.

The earliest date I have for Rob Turnbull in his Alexis is Curborough 7 May 1972. Given how often he appears in reports in 1972, I would expect him to appear at least once or twice in 1970 and 1971 if he was racing that car but, so far, nothing.  So did he really buy the car as early as previously thought?

However, I did find another Alexis-twin cam that might fill the gap.  Paul Brindley from Wolverhampton entered a yellow Alexis with 1600 Ford engine in a libre race at Silverstone in August 1970 and then advertised the car a month later, identifying it as an "Atlantic twin cam Alexis, built 1969, Paul Ivy engine".  He also said it was in "superb condition", the same phrase used in an advert for a "twin cam Alexis" from an Edgbaston, Birmingham, number in November 1970.  Turnbull was from Warmley, Birmingham. 

#17 T65MCB

T65MCB

• 10 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 15:13

I wonder if I any of you might have some knowledge of my Alexis Mk17 F3 car. One of three Mk17 chassis, two were raced in 1969 and third, my car raced in 1970 driven by Ken Bailey, it than was sold into the trade and was bought by Stephen Choulartron for the new for 1971 Atlantic season. At the end of 1971 it was part exchanged for a Lotus 69. The history from then to the mid 70's is missing.

Any information would be most appreciated.

#18 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,538 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 13:43

Giffo, I am told Brindley's Alexis twin cam was a Mk 12, but this could of course have been an earlier car updated to Mk 12 specification.  So maybe Michael Hope's Mk12-twin cam from late 1969?  That would tie in with the comment that it was built in 1969.  

I am trying to get a picture of it so we can see how much it looks like Turnbull's car.

#19 Davidbailey

Davidbailey

• 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 15:41

I wonder if I any of you might have some knowledge of my Alexis Mk17 F3 car. One of three Mk17 chassis, two were raced in 1969 and third, my car raced in 1970 driven by Ken Bailey, it than was sold into the trade and was bought by Stephen Choulartron for the new for 1971 Atlantic season. At the end of 1971 it was part exchanged for a Lotus 69. The history from then to the mid 70's is missing.

Any information would be most appreciated.

I have some photos of the MK17 in its F3 form. When Ken had the car it was in the same colour scheme as the MK14 ff1600 hose previously owned : mainly pale yellow with a blue band around its nose. Ken had a huge accident in the car during private testing at Oulton Park. The remains of the car were traded back into Alan Taylor at the factory for a brand new FF1600 (which I think was a MK18). After that, I'm afraid, I don't know what happened to the car.

Advertisement

#20 46700

• 45 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 17:25

I recall an F3 race at Silverstone, run in rather damp conditions, which was won by Keith Vickery in a works Alexis, followed by Paul Rendle in his Cooper BMC (An older FJ car bought from Roy Lane, the hillclimber), so presumably the F3 history of the marque started before the late '60s.

F 3 versions were first produced in 1960/61 Philip Robinson  came from 500F3 to be a works driver. As far as I remember the alloy bodied ones came unpainted, as I remember spending a goodly time polishing the car Philip had, as he moved in 63ish to F1 with a Lotus 18/21 i have no knowledge of the later cars.

#21 T65MCB

T65MCB

• 10 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 16:49

Hi David, Sorry for the delay in replying to your post, and many thanks for the information on Ken's MK17 F3. Would it be possible for you to scan your photos of the car and email to me? I am trying to put together a history for all three chassis and very bit of information helps. The yellow must have been very pale as I only have a few black and white photos of the car and it obviously looks white. Ken Crook told me that his car was Red and there was also an Apple Green car. My car is now fitted with a twin cam as it was raced in Atlantic in 1971 and I run it in the Historic hillclimb class. mike.broome@hotmail.co.uk