Photo

John Goodwin at Bo'ness 1952

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RWB

RWB

• 116 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:10

I have a 'photo of John W Goodwin at Bo'ness 28th June 1952 driving what the programme calls a Fiat. It looks like an early Cooper sports car but it seems that's not what it is. Copyright means I can't show you the picture but can anyone give any more information about the car please?

Advertisement

#2 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:23

I'd guess it was the BMW FIAT later run by Gillie Tyrer. We have had a bit about it on the forum but the onset of lunchtime forgetfulness precludes me from telling you where. Search BB

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:51

The Tyrer car gets a mention in this thread about another Fiat/BMW special.

#4 WillHenderson

WillHenderson

• 29 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 14:06

My father, Bill Henderson, shot several films at this event. I've had a very quick look but cant see a photo of the car. It went up the hill in 48.17secs for the first run. Not sure about the second run.

#5 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 14:24

In my old schoolboy scrapbook I have a picture cut from the Motor Sport of a 'Mille Miglia' Fiat being offered for sale, it would have been very early '50's. It looks quite like the early Cooper Sports Car with cycle type wings and a sloping radiator grill and the reg number ARO 762.

Could this be the car?

bauble.

#6 RWB

RWB

• 116 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 22:12

In my old schoolboy scrapbook I have a picture cut from the Motor Sport of a 'Mille Miglia' Fiat being offered for sale, it would have been very early '50's. It looks quite like the early Cooper Sports Car with cycle type wings and a sloping radiator grill and the reg number ARO 762.

Could this be the car?

bauble.

Thank you - that's spot on! This is the car so I can search Motor Sport for some more information. Anyone provide any more background?

#7 Jagjon

Jagjon

• 147 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 23:51

Could this be the car?

bauble.

ARO762 was a M.M. Fiat Balilla owned by Sqn. Ldr A.H.Piper, later to race with various Alfa Romeos. He owned the car from 1939 certainly into 1948. I have more details but don't wish to bore everyone not Fiat minded.
Seems like it was modified later after 1948 as the photos I have show it to be pretty much the usual coachwork of a swept wing Mille Miglia model, although headlights are large & low down in front of the usual grill. The exhaust exits at the bonnet side & continues along the side & up and over the rear mudguard, (std one is beneath car). The engine had been modified.
I have a note that the body was later seen to be on a Morris chassis? This was at Stamford Bridge in London.
Also that "the body now resembled a 4CLT Maserati" and "with a Riley engine", but I have no note if this was the Fiat chassis, I presumed so, or just a witness to the registration being on such a car.
Perhaps if a sports the model would meant to resemble a 2 seat A6G Maserati, rather than 4CLT which was a single seater

Gillie Tyrer had en ex Mille Miglia BMW 328 but a streamlined car I always thought?

Edited by Jagjon, 27 June 2011 - 00:08.

#8 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 706 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 14:57

Yes, Tyrer's BMW 328 was one of the 1940 streamlined cars.

#9 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 16:31

One of them (LTC9) was

He also had a normal-bodied 328 (GS7431) and a cycle-guard car (NKA9) to which he fitted the Fiat 1100 engine

#10 RWB

RWB

• 116 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 17:25

ARO762 was a M.M. Fiat Balilla owned by Sqn. Ldr A.H.Piper, later to race with various Alfa Romeos. He owned the car from 1939 certainly into 1948. I have more details but don't wish to bore everyone not Fiat minded.
Seems like it was modified later after 1948 as the photos I have show it to be pretty much the usual coachwork of a swept wing Mille Miglia model, although headlights are large & low down in front of the usual grill. The exhaust exits at the bonnet side & continues along the side & up and over the rear mudguard, (std one is beneath car). The engine had been modified.
I have a note that the body was later seen to be on a Morris chassis? This was at Stamford Bridge in London.
Also that "the body now resembled a 4CLT Maserati" and "with a Riley engine", but I have no note if this was the Fiat chassis, I presumed so, or just a witness to the registration being on such a car.
Perhaps if a sports the model would meant to resemble a 2 seat A6G Maserati, rather than 4CLT which was a single seater

Gillie Tyrer had en ex Mille Miglia BMW 328 but a streamlined car I always thought?

That answers all my questions. Many thanks.