Goodwood Festival of Speed 2011

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PaulSc

PaulSc

• 29 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:23

hi everybody,

heading off as a fathers day gift to the Festival of Speed at Goodwood on Sunday the 3rd this year.

After any tips, suggestions, recommendations as to where to stand, parking, clothing etc etc so myself, wife and teenage son can get the best out of the day...

Cheers..

PauiSc

Advertisement

#2 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 14:21

Get there very early. It's well signposted and you'll be directed to one of the field car parks - make a note of your column/row letter and numbers...then remember which car park you're in ( hint....big white banner saying.."you are now leaving car park B" There are other lettered car parks ;) Chance to get a good look at the cars in the paddock, stands etc.
Best view to watch the runs up the hill is probably in front of the house ( but on the opposite side in the free viewing stand), as there's a large screen there and that's where some stunts are performed. Also good photo opportunity as you have the Goodwood sculpture in the background.
There's too much to do and see in one day - so don't expect to do it all :)

#3 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 14:27

Without Grandstand tickets - stand wherever you can that has a view - would suggest up the hill away. Anywhere is okay tbh. maybe try at the inside of the first corner down near the start.

What to wear - depends on the weather but a good pair of walking shoes/boots as the hill is steep and long if you want to see it all.

The rally course at the top is worth the trek.

As the above post said - get there early before the crowds - take a walk throught the F1 paddock and the super car paddock before the runs start and when the crowds are less.

Basically you will see all the cars on the hill up to lunch - the afternoon is a re-run so you can take a look at anything you missed.

A great day out - very much with a garden party atmosphere.

#4 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 00:49

Near the start of the hillclimb is usually packed, but its an awesome place to be if you can get a view.

Clothing will be weather-dependent of course. Bring suntan lotion definitely as there's not a lot of shade. And being in the paddock when a group run ends is a good place to be as you'll have the cars driven right by you as they return to their 'ports'.

I'll be there on Sunday as well! Cant wait. :D

#5 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:12

Having looked at the thread title it would appear a time machine is a prerequisite.

#6 PaulSc

PaulSc

• 29 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:17

Having looked at the thread title it would appear a time machine is a prerequisite.

OOps... :confused: - 2011 of course!!...

#7 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:42

OOps... :confused: - 2011 of course!!...

We all do it. :D

Never been to the festival myself so can't offer any advice, but hope you have a great time.

#8 nugat

nugat

• 114 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:40

Can anyone recommend a hotel in the area? It doesn't have to be particuarly close, I expect everything within a few miles will be booked up by now anyway.

Basically I just want to stay somewhere closer than Cambridge on Saturday night, so I don't have to make the full 3 hour journey on Sunday morning.

#9 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:11

Can anyone recommend a hotel in the area? It doesn't have to be particuarly close, I expect everything within a few miles will be booked up by now anyway.

Basically I just want to stay somewhere closer than Cambridge on Saturday night, so I don't have to make the full 3 hour journey on Sunday morning.

There are plenty of Holiday inns etc down this way. I'm sure you could find a room at one. Maybe not on the doorstep, but I would have thought easily within 30 minutes.

#10 PaulSc

PaulSc

• 29 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 19:43

Re hotels...we spent ages trying to find one locally but it looks like its pretty chocca it was funny people telling us "didn't we know there was a motor race on"!!! - that was as far apart as Brighton and Portsmouth!

As Clatter mentions Holiday inn seems to have a few rooms - Guildford was the closest we found but just an hr away...

#11 nugat

nugat

• 114 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:39

Thanks for the replies, the Holiday Grim in Guildford was full when I checked but I managed to find a room at the Travelbodge. As you say it's an hour away from Goodwood, but at least it's en route :)

Edited by nugat, 01 July 2011 - 07:40.

#12 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 23:24

Watched the pretty dour coverage on Sky Sports. Spent more time interviewing Tony Jardine, who I can't stand BTW!

Anyway, hope you had a good day. I've always wanted to go, but it seems to far away for me to be bothered to drive. And with it being close to the British G.P weekend, it tends to be a no go as that takes up my limited funds in!

#13 nugat

nugat

• 114 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:14

Watched the pretty dour coverage on Sky Sports. Spent more time interviewing Tony Jardine, who I can't stand BTW!

Anyway, hope you had a good day. I've always wanted to go, but it seems to far away for me to be bothered to drive. And with it being close to the British G.P weekend, it tends to be a no go as that takes up my limited funds in!

It was good and I'm glad I went. You get to see some sights you wouldn't see anywhere else, like Damon Hill driving his old WIlliams. There's a lot to look at and you can get up close to the cars and teams.

I don't think it will be a yearly event for me though mostly because of the travel, three and a half hours to get back to Cambridge and I wasn't hanging around. Although I did find myself in a convoy of sports cars on the way up the M25 and we had some fun. Real life Gran Turismo! :)

There were a LOT of people there, if you wanted to a decent view of the cars going up the hill you had to pick a spot and stay there. Otherwise it was just five people deep and you couldn't see a thing. If I did go again a grandstand seat would be a must.