Photo

Brands Hatch Superprix 2011

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 13:40

The Brands Superprix generally merits a thread of its own, outside the general historic race meeting thread, so here is the entry list
http://www.hscc.org......uper Prix.pdf
I see that Desire Wilson is entered in the E Type Challenge

Advertisement

#2 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 14:06

She's not the only headline act. I'll be there as well.

#3 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 521 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 19:52

I will be there aswell, with my son Joe and daughter Lucy :up: . There are a few drivers in most of the categories who will be supporting the Pink Snail awareness initiative for Spinal Muscular Atrophy :love: . The Superprix weekend is so good in terms of value and the entertainment factor is excellent :up: . The 7 visiting cars from down under have bolstered the grid for the F5000 race which is something to behold sound-wise :smoking: !
The close proximity of Brands to mainland Europe also attracts quite a few of the racers form over the water who normally stick to the European dates on the calendar :rolleyes: . Add to this the race card and the great viewing form almost anywhere and the fact that the pits are open at all times then it`s deffo worth a visit. So guys...if you are anywhere near Brands - call in you wont be disappointed.
Oh!...did I mention the GpC race :love: ...Silk Cut Jags, Sauber Mercs, Porsches, Spice to name a few...the race card for the Gp C grows at every event (Zakspeed are prepping 2 cars for 2012!! :clap: !). The FOS at Goodwood may be another thing going on but if you were to pick one or the other wow...that`s hard :well: ! Hope to see some of the other posting people on here at BH at the weekend ;) ...I will be wearing my Pink Snail badge so don`t be scared to say hello if you see me!! :up: :wave:

#4 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:45

The FOS at Goodwood may be another thing going on but if you were to pick one or the other wow...that`s hard :well: ! Hope to see some of the other posting people on here at BH at the weekend ;)

Woo I'm doing both - FoS on Friday, Brands F1 on Sunday :love:

#5 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 369 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:34

I should be at Brands on Saturday, what chance a meet up at lunch time?

Glyn

#6 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:52

Unfortunately I've had to withdraw my entry in the Historic FF2000 race, but I'll be there in my administrative capacity.

Should be a great weekend anyway.

#7 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 521 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 19:24

I should be at Brands on Saturday, what chance a meet up at lunch time?

Glyn

No problems meeting up with any fellow TNFrs will need a cuppa by dinner break :rolleyes: ! I will be around the paddock and pits flitting between the F5000 and HFO garages, look forward to bumping into you guys!! :up:

#8 DN5

DN5

• 464 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 20:13

I will be there on Sunday in a UOP shadow t shirt (weather permitting)

Geoff

#9 Canon14

Canon14

• 31 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 17:54

I will be there on Sunday too. I will be the one standing next to the chap in a UOP shadow t shirt.

Steven

#10 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 19:13

FoS Friday, Brands Hatch Saturday, remind wife of my existence Sunday...

#11 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 19:22

I will be there on Saturday only :wave:

#12 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 369 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:28

I will be there on Saturday, it should be a good day. :wave:

Glyn

#13 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:11

Brands Hatch was gloriously sunny and warm on Friday and I can't think of a much better way to spend a day other than wandering around the pits and paddock watching preparations for this weekends race meeting.

Posted Image
John Slack's Lola T200 returns to the paddock after the first practice session.

Posted Image
Ralt preparation.

Posted Image
Michael Hibberd's Brabham BT38 - he happily chatted about BT38 drivers in period while he got ready to board the car.

Posted Image
Some of the New Zealand F5000 chaps.

Posted Image
Three iconic British cars in assembly.

Posted Image
The Mercedes C11 is one of a sadly very disappointing Group C entry.

Posted Image
A friendly corner of the Formula Ford paddock, we were offered a cup of tea while I took my photographs.

Posted Image
There is a large contigent of French entries in the Formula 3 race. Fabrice Porte exits Stirlings Bend in his Martini Mk39

Posted Image
Peter Wuensch uses all the road at South Bank in the Wolf WR1.

I am going back on Sunday but family duties have prevented me getting there today.

David

#14 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:38

Geat photos, as usual, David. Nice to see that Stan Redmond's T332 tub has been restored after his Oulton accident.

#15 southcoast

southcoast

• 36 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 20:28

I was rather impressed by the Group C cars myself !

#16 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 21:17

Geat photos, as usual, David. Nice to see that Stan Redmond's T332 tub has been restored after his Oulton accident.

Posted Image

Nothing that a hammer and a bit of old fashioned Plastic padding couldn't fix :)

Edited by alansart, 02 July 2011 - 21:18.

#17 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:01

Results here: http://www.mstworld....e...ds Hatch GP

PS From the 16 entries, I see only 9 cars have practiced for the FIA Historic F1 race. What happned there?

#18 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 17:01

Yes lots of no shows in the F1 field, but that did not distract from a fantastic days racing on Saturday. Great racing with just one red flag and
no safety cars. Drive of the day to Trotty, who went from 37th on the grid to 5th in the F3 race!
My facebook pics:

http://www.facebook....mp;l=ad8645da5d

#19 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 19:53

Drive of the day to Trotty, who went from 37th on the grid to 5th in the F3 race!

I see that he netted fastest lap on his drive through the field.

Advertisement

#20 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 21:09

Yes sadly both the Group C and F1 races had small fields this weekend I assume it is a difficult time to run such expensive machinery but all other categories had healthy grids.

It was an excellent meeting with some close battles in front of a very good sized crowd, here are just a few of my pictures from todays Derek Bell Trophy race.

Posted Image
Stan Redmond - Lola T332

Posted Image
Warwick Mortimer - Surtees TS5

Posted Image
Graham Hill Bend or Bottom Bend as I still prefer to call it

David

#21 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:20

Posted Image
Michael Lyons and his Lola T400
Michael Lyons led home fellow Lola T400 driver Andrew Higgins in both Derek Bell Trophy races at the annual Brands Hatch Superprix meeting in Great Britain over the weekend.

Photo: Fast Company/Jon Bunston

Edited by Jerry Entin, 04 July 2011 - 02:21.

#22 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:32

A few from Saturday...
Posted Image
If you have a pulse you will love the E-tyoe Challenge - the most entertaining new initiative I've seen in eons. This is John Bussell.

Posted Image
Precision engineering in the mitts of Gareth Evans and Bob Berridge...

Posted Image
...and a familiar sight to anybody who grew up in 1960s Britain. The driver is both cross and Cross (as in Richard of that ilk).

Posted Image
Not all Triumphs were in adversity, though: this is John Thomson's GT6.

Posted Image
Britain's got Talon: Kiwi visitor Aaron Burson.

Posted Image
Classic F3 train amid Kent's protected woodlands.

Posted Image
Racing cars used to be more elegant than they are now...

Posted Image
...and before that, they were more elegant yet. Discuss. Mike Scott's March 75B and John Delane's Lotus 18.

Posted Image
Mike Whatley (Surtees TS8) and Greg Thornton (Chevron B24) had an engaging tussle until the Surtees lost its catch tank.

Posted Image
Paul Smith's Ralt RT3. I'm sure these are still fairly new...

Posted Image
The essence of a Lotus Cortina. The artist is Dan Cox.

#23 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:46

Superb photos Simon, is that the ex Bill Bradley 2000? I saw it a few times at brands, although they never really got it sorted sadly.

#24 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:29

You were missed, Sterling!

Saturday was a lovely day for racing although, inevitably, we spent rather more time chatting than wandering around the circuit. As usual, too much to see, too much too, too much to say!

In contrast to the GP and GC events, the 'Derek Bell' race had an enormous field although there seemed to be a notable rate of attrition during the race. The range of speeds, front to back, was jaw-dropping - but we've been over that before. Having something of a soft spot for Clubman's cars it was good to see a clutch of fleet Mallocks in the fray. I see that one of them - Mark Charteris's car - finished fifth, albeit a lap down, and with a rather quicker fastest lap (in the second race) than the F3s. Just like the old days, really! The Clubman's car quite often as quick as 1600 F3s in the day; does anyone know if these particular ones would be running to strictly Clubman's spec?

Had pleasant chat with Stan Redmond in the bookshop - he said he had a new(ish) engine with a flat-plane crank; was such a thing always permitted in F5000? It did sound good, though!

I made some fairly unfavourable comments about E-types in general, but now several people have said what a good race it was. I must learn to keep my mouth shut.

Edited by 2F-001, 04 July 2011 - 12:31.

#25 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 16:58

Hi Tony, it was indeed unfortunate that I could not attend, worse for me because I could hear almost every gear change! You had great weather for it, and I seem really to have missed a great "E" Type race......Simon's photo is just fabulous!

#26 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 17:34

I didn't take that many photographs this year but here are my final few.

Posted Image
The winning Group C Nissan R90C of Hideki Yamauchi and Katsu Kubota at Dingle Dell.

Posted Image
John Burton scored a comfortable Martini Trophy race win on Sunday

Posted Image
James Murray dives past Pierre Tonetti into Druids during a fraught first couple of laps in the Formula Junior race.

Posted Image
The travel stained second placed Group C Mercedes C11 of Evans and Berridge on the Derek Minter straight, Bob Berridge set his fastest lap on the last lap of the race.

Posted Image
Katsu Kubota on the descent of Hawthorn Hill in a beautifully presented March 712

Posted Image
John Delane's Lotus 18

Posted Image
Hideki Yamauchi won the F1 race on the Sunday in the March 761

David

Edited by David Lawson, 04 July 2011 - 18:14.

#27 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 17:42

Some super images Simon and David

Many thanks for posting :up:

PAR

Edited by Phil Rainford, 04 July 2011 - 17:43.

#28 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 18:02

The Clubman's car quite often as quick as 1600 F3s in the day; does anyone know if these particular ones would be running to strictly Clubman's spec?

I think they were. The one I had a look at certainly had a Kent engine. The three Clubmans cars were all beautifully presented and were very attentively cared for throughout the meeting. The Derek Bell series has had a tough time in the last couple of years entry-wise and the inclusion of Clubmans cars, later F3 and FF2000 cars and of course the Kiwi F5000 contingent made the races at Brands very enjoyable. The Mallocks were something of a crowd-pleaser as well, punching well above their weight amongst the heavy metal.

I love David Lawson's picture of James Murray in his Lola. James had a good weekend, with pole in the FJ and Historic FF2000 races. He got a win in FJ, but was beaten off the line in HFF2K and was forced to shadow the winner Russell Love throughout the race. They shared identical lap times of 1:35.712 and put on a wonderful display of hard-fought but clean racing. It was also very gratifying to see so many spectators still populating the grandstands and spectator banks for a race which didn't get underway until 17:50.

Definitely a meeting with strong feel good factor.

#29 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 521 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 22:44

Although the HFO was short on numbers :cry: , the GpC and F5000 made up for that :D . I agree the GpC cars were thin on the ground aswell :rolleyes: , but the variety of cars was good :up: . Of the HFO drivers absent, Joaquin Folch underwent knee surgery over the winter so is resting up a bit), Dave Abbott crashed at Monza and if no Dave - no Steve Hartley. A no show from Abba Kogan (probably getting ready for Silverstone classic), Nico Bindels (not a Brands lover), Dave Coplowe (car for sale), Bobby Verdon-Roe (last minute change of plans), Katsu Kubota (racing Gpc & F2).
The difference was that the F2 and F5000 entertained us no end and there was wall to wall good weather :smoking: . FOS at Goodwood may have taken some others away from BH :well: but I thought that my 460 mile round trip was worth it :cool: .
It was mentioned over the weekend that if numbers continue to drop :eek: , then it may be an idea to invite the quicker HF2 drivers to grid up with the F1 cars if they wish ;) . Martin Stretton posted a 1m24s lap in the race which would have given him 3rd place on the grid in the F1 race :eek: :smoking: !!!! It happened in bygone days where F2 and F1 cars `mingled` (- I may stand corrected :| ) so why not :love: ?
Despite the small F1 entry and depleted GpC field, my kids & I thouroughly enjoyed the weekend and hospitality of the HFO garages and the F5000 paddock(ta for the beer! :stoned: ). Thanks again to all the drivers who agreed to run the Pink Snail stickers for SMA awareness :up: and roll on next year!!

#30 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:21

Thanks again to all the drivers who agreed to run the Pink Snail stickers for SMA awareness :up: and roll on next year!!

:up: :up: :up:

Posted Image

:wave:

#31 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 15:21

Here's a few more...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Disappointing turn-out for the F1, for reasons previously mentioned in this thread, only 7 cars running after lap three. I have heard from friends of team members that entry fee for this one race was £2,500 :well: . The Group C race was a cracker though! :clap:

#32 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 521 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 18:33

Yes, I do agree the F1 entry was `embarrassing` :well: not least for some of the racers who turned up. One of them said that it was a little bit too embarrassing that the two cars in the promotional picture hadn`t turned up (BVRs McLaren and Nico`s Lotus!!) :| . I must really point out at this moment that the cars that did turn up were very well turned out and a credit to the teams :up: :love: . The NZ F5000 guys actually brought it up in conversation os Saturday night when I joined them for a `canny` :stoned:

#33 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 19:47

James had a good weekend, with pole in the FJ and Historic FF2000 races. He got a win in FJ, but was beaten off the line in HFF2K and was forced to shadow the winner Russell Love throughout the race. They shared identical lap times of 1:35.712 and put on a wonderful display of hard-fought but clean racing. It was also very gratifying to see so many spectators still populating the grandstands and spectator banks for a race which didn't get underway until 17:50.

Definitely a meeting with strong feel good factor.

I agree that this was a superb race with the battle for the lead so very close from lights to flag and not many seconds behind the third and fourth placed cars had an equally close dice. A great race to finish the weekend. I watched this from the inside of Surtees/South Bank which sadly is no longer a good photography spot since the recently fitted debris fencing.

David

#34 racer8888

racer8888

• 49 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 21:02

close shave ....

Posted Image

crash bang wallop !!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#35 sircosworth

sircosworth

• 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 22:49

Posted Image
Michael Lyons and his Lola T400
Michael Lyons led home fellow Lola T400 driver Andrew Higgins in both Derek Bell Trophy races at the annual Brands Hatch Superprix meeting in Great Britain over the weekend.

Photo: Fast Company/Jon Bunston

This photos not Lyons but the almost-identical looking sister ex Viceroy Vels Parnelli T400 of Kiwi visitor Higgins - easy mistake to make! Kind of a small historic moment when the two former team cars lined up on the front row for the second DBT race on Sunday

#36 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:06

close shave ....
Posted Image

You must have been standing right next to me...I got one very similar, second pic in my album:

#37 racer8888

racer8888

• 49 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 13:27

You must have been standing right next to me...I got one very similar, second pic in my album:

Yep, I noticed you had more or less the same picture :cool:

Pretty much everyone I saw on the inside of Druids had a camera in their hand

Bill

#38 Julian Roberts

Julian Roberts

• 736 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 14:26

[quote name='David Lawson' date='Jul 4 2011, 17:34' post='5145418']
I didn't take that many photographs this year but here are my final few.

Posted Image
James Murray dives past Pierre Tonetti into Druids during a fraught first couple of laps in the Formula Junior race.

My pick of the bunch, IMHO it's nigh on techical perfection. Plus the locked wheel and flying stones convey the desperate situation very well.

Great action shot. :clap:

#39 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 22:31

Car 119's POOH Jeans sponsorship seems rather appropriate at that point in time.

Advertisement

#40 James Murray

James Murray

• 21 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:55

Can I buy a print from you David I would love to have one. Mr Tonetti didn't give much away, he's a fiesty and committed racer but all in good spirit. I had no idea I had locked a wheel at the time either and it all seemed relatively under control!

#41 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:28

Posted Image
Michael Lyons at the Superprix

Sir Cosworth: You are of course right about me posting the wrong picture.

Here is one of Michael Lyons to make up for it.

photo: Fast Company/ Jon Bunston

Edited by Jerry Entin, 07 July 2011 - 11:33.

#42 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 19:32

Can I buy a print from you David I would love to have one. Mr Tonetti didn't give much away, he's a fiesty and committed racer but all in good spirit. I had no idea I had locked a wheel at the time either and it all seemed relatively under control!

I would be pleased to arrange this. I'm off to the British Grand Prix practice at the moment but I will be in touch.

David