Boffins?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 22:38

Perhaps the Story of the Weekend at Eastern Creek only days ago

As I strolled past the Gilbert Indianapolis car/ Brabham Indy copy entered and driven by Tim Kuchel old friend and chief scrutineer Todd Hamilton called me over,. Todd was both laughing and crying, and asking in disbelief " But what were you thinking when you did THIS?"
THIS was a folded up cardboard box made of a beer carton which Tim's man Frank had earnestly made up as a small wing and attached with the usual sticky black cloth tape to the top of the helmet. It even had vertical (cardboard )sideplates, similarly attached
Answered Tim(a very tall amiable and mild presence) " I havent driven the car before and my head was being buffeted around in the first practice session"
Responded Todd (still laughing and crying) " But you've even got the thing on CROOKED!!!"

Advertisement

#2 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,127 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 23:45

It's rare, but isn't it great to see a scrutineer with a sense of humour?

In 1963, at Catalina, Tom [?] Carmody - scrutineer - wanted to have me taken away to the 'loony bin]. My 'crime'......driving a VW in the rain with Michelin X tyres! :rotfl:

Funny how things 'flash back'. In the first practice session that day, I managed to spin a few times, with the srutineer's words ringing in my ears. As there was no shelter, everything was wet - clothes and all. My girl [now wife] suggested that I take them out in the next session and SPIN-DRY them! Just what I wanted - a girl with a sense of humour. :kiss:

#3 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:41

Scrutineers with a sense of humour, now there's a good topic! Probably only a few replies, though...

Frank

#4 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:47

In 1963, at Catalina, Tom [?] Carmody - scrutineer - wanted to have me taken away to the 'loony bin]. My 'crime'......driving a VW in the rain with Michelin X tyres! :rotfl:

Funny how things 'flash back'. In the first practice session that day, I managed to spin a few times, with the srutineer's words ringing in my ears. As there was no shelter, everything was wet - clothes and all. My girl [now wife] suggested that I take them out in the next session and SPIN-DRY them! Just what I wanted - a girl with a sense of humour. :kiss:

50 psi at the back and 40 at the front :cool:

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,257 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:35

Regarding scrutineers with a sense of humour...

Ted Moir had one. He was at Bathurst and Catalina in the sixties, but it was dry as dry could be.

#6 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,127 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:43

50 psi at the back and 40 at the front :cool:

How about 21 rear, 17 front? That's what what I ran in the wet then.......23 / 19 for the dry!

#7 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 15:22

How about 21 rear, 17 front? That's what what I ran in the wet then.......23 / 19 for the dry!

Run them at a high pressure and all the suddenness goes away. You were doing what I suggested on differential but using more than double what you ran at it would probably have handled quite well. Drop it to 30 & 40 for the wet

#8 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,127 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 22:08

Managed to have 2 class wins and a lap record that meeting.......running 23/19 [dry], as well as driving home, and to work on Monday, with the car intact. I did a bit of testing, and found that these pressures suited me. My Michelin Xs were almost worn out [30 shillings each from 'Pedro' Owen], and at those 'low' pressures they 'bagged', and had a bit more rubber on the road. The 'suddenness' - a good word for it - took a bit of dealing with, but the extra grip [up to that point] was worth it. A bit of excitement never hurt anyone! :lol:

Sorry John, for getting off the track........pun intended!

Edited by GMACKIE, 29 June 2011 - 22:12.

#9 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 23:02

No apology needed, Greg. All part of the entertainment and information of TNF

I am just one here who can confirm for doubters that those Greg Mackie VWs were /are very quick things.

And can I add another Todd Hamilton(scrutineer ) story( as told by Todd and then chief scrutineer Brian Lawler, whose combined years racing cars and motorcycles exceeded 120):
a Regularity first-timer in Austin Healey made contact with an MGA and was told twice to take his car back to scrutineering for a damage check as required by the rules. When he finally arrived at scrutineering Brian did the gruff scrutineer bit, demanding an explanation for the slow arrival. The rather precious Healey driver said that people like scrutineers didnt understand the pressures of Being a Racing Driver because all scrutineers did was look at cars. "You dont understand the heart the soul and the pressure", he said. Todd was laughing and crying again when he told me. Brian too was falling around.

Some believe you have to free up the hard heart of scrutineers: Robert Rowe and I took my Alvis Mercury V8 to Phillip Island in 2003, trailering through Melbourne's ludicrous expressway system when you had to drive off the expressway and pay money at grubby little premises in a small backstreet for the speedy expressway use( thus absolutely negating the value of the speedy expressway). RRowe mentioned this at Phillip Island scrutineering after engaging the scrutineer in amiable conversation -- then dealt the killer blow : " It was almost as though it was designed by C.A.M.S" Considerable cynical laughter from scrutineer. Alvis V8 passed with flying colours. RRowe said he always made sure he had a funny story for scrutineers.

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,257 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 23:37

And I thought it was a good thing to leave my blue triangle off the battery master switch...

Them having to tell me to fix that kind of took their mind off looking at the steering rack and sundry other details.

#11 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,127 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 23:46

TNF is giving my memory a good workout! I just remembered a scrutineering incident at W. Farm - early '60s. As mentioned earlier, my 'tyre of chioce' [read affordability] was worn-out Michelin X. Even had a 'tame' tyre man at Hurstville, who could re-groove them without any sign of it.

Meanwhile, back at the 'Farm', Ted Behrmann [Chief Scutineer], was checking my VW, when suddenly he let out a yell. He leaped away from one of my rear tyres, with blood streaming from his hand! The wire was protruding slightly from the tread, and he must have brushed his hand over it.

Needless to say, I had NO chance of winning the 'Popular Boy Competition' that day. :blush: Fortunately, Jack Bono came to my rescue [again], and calmed Ted down enough to allow me to compete.......after apologising, and promising NEVER to do that again. Ted probably had a good sense of humour, however it was dealt a blow that day!

#12 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:47

Spinning 3 times at Catalina without saying hello to Mr Hardwood ! Now that was some achievement !

#13 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,127 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:13

Spinning 3 times at Catalina without saying hello to Mr Hardwood ! Now that was some achievement !

There was a 'river' that ran across the track, before 'The Tunnel', and I spun there [more than 3 times] - until I worked how to get through it without losing grip.

It didn't take long for me to reallise that if I was going to drive a VW fast, I would need to learn to spin - without hitting things. A lot of practice is needed, but it can be done.

#14 rms

rms

• 143 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:26

Answered Tim(a very tall amiable and mild presence) " I havent driven the car before and my head was being buffeted around in the first practice session"

It may have been unkind, but it was suggested that Tim "pull his head in" to fix the problem.

Erol

#15 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:46

Screw in ears ALWAYS wanted an extra spring on the carbs, so we always carried a very un-springy spring which we hooked on to a bolt head. No use at all and didn't alter the accelerator pressure but it made them feel they were earning their corn and stopped them being too nosy about other things which were none of their business :p

Edited by Sharman, 30 June 2011 - 12:46.

#16 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,476 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 13:56

I saw a very boffin looking chap years ago, scrutineering at Zolder. About 35 years old with long hair, beard and studiously sucking on a pipe.
A single seater driver was very late for practice and bowled up to the scrut. bay in a panic, fully helmeted and strapped in.
This boffin magically inspected the car by walking slowly around it, resting the palm of his hand on the top of each tyre in turn, before issuing a pass ticket to the relieved driver.

#17 Repco22

Repco22

• 975 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:38

As I strolled past the Gilbert Indianapolis car/ Brabham Indy copy entered and driven by Tim Kuchel old friend and chief scrutineer Todd Hamilton called me over,. Todd was both laughing and crying, and asking in disbelief " But what were you thinking when you did THIS?"
THIS was a folded up cardboard box made of a beer carton which Tim's man Frank had earnestly made up as a small wing and attached with the usual sticky black cloth tape to the top of the helmet. It even had vertical (cardboard )sideplates, similarly attached
Responded Todd (still laughing and crying) " But you've even got the thing on CROOKED!!!"

John, could this be Tim?
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us