Photo

Fred Neville

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sigurd

Sigurd

• 11 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:33

Can anyone recall if Fred Neville was married when he lost his life at the Manx in 61?

Advertisement

#2 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:46

Can anyone recall if Fred Neville was married when he lost his life at the Manx in 61?

I've just looked in the TT & MGP Memorial book written by Paul Bradford, I think most of the detail has come from the inquest report, unfortunately it doesnt mention his marital status, it reads as follows :-

"Fred Neville was 26 years of age, He was a motorcycle agent by occupation and a resident of Worcester Park, Surrey"

#3 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:52

I've previously done some research on Fred for something I was due to write - think I'm correct in believing that he wasn't and that he lived with his parents. Can I ask about your interest in Fred?

#4 Sigurd

Sigurd

• 11 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 13:06

I've previously done some research on Fred for something I was due to write - think I'm correct in believing that he wasn't and that he lived with his parents. Can I ask about your interest in Fred?

All the information I had gathered prior to writing the TT & MGP Memorial Book was that he was not married. However, I have been told that someone has recently found a photo of him wearing a wedding ring? Paul Bradford

#5 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 14:04

Didnt realise it was you Paul!! guess I wont be able to sell you my copy of the book then? :rotfl:

#6 Sigurd

Sigurd

• 11 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 16:15

Didnt realise it was you Paul!! guess I wont be able to sell you my copy of the book then? :rotfl:

Due to popular demand Paul I have just had more printed so if you would like another one then let me know.

#7 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 19:35

Posted Image
Fred at his first Manx, 1960. The Manx was bought from Paul Dunstall after the factory delayed supplying his new 7R. He won the newcomers award for eigth, or was it ninth. In the following year he dominated practice and was leading the junior by miles until arriving at Appledene on the last lap. The race was run in some of the worst wet/dry conditions seen on the island for years.

#8 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 21:32

Due to popular demand Paul I have just had more printed so if you would like another one then let me know.

I'll certainly put the word out Paul, i've lent mine to several people in the past who have wanted one.

#9 rclamp

rclamp

• 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:35

Although younger than Fred, he grew up local to us in Carshalton in surrey, where his family had a greengrocers shop. He would often come up the park and play football with us. He was also like a hero to us, doing the motorbike racing and I recall sitting on his bike, a Norton [but I could be wrong] with a lump of sponge on the tank to rest his chin. He also went out with my sister for a while, though my memory is hazy about that. I am sure he never married. A thoroughly

nice fellow, who I have only good memories of.

#10 tonupdave

tonupdave

• 13 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 18:03

Pretty sure he was not married I was in the Island on that fateful day we all thought he was going too fast for the conditions...A good competitor......