Photo

Nurburgring F1 1967 onboard lap

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 toovo1985

toovo1985

• 58 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 16:07

So F1 season is now heading to Nurburgring. So I decided to make a research on memories from the F1 comings to the circuit. While searching I found this video with onboard images from the Ring back in 1967. Excellent quality.

Laps: 15
Lenght: 22835 m
Weather: dry

Podium:
1 Denny Hulme
2 Jack Brabham
3 Chris Amon

Hope you enjoy it

Posted Image

Edited by toovo1985, 11 July 2011 - 16:09.

Advertisement

#2 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 19:54

That's a great piece of film - thanks for posting it! That year, 1967, the week after the Grand Prix, I was lucky enough to be driven around the 'ring. I don't think the lap record was under threat as we were in the family Austin 1100, full of holiday luggage.
I love the footage of those corners where the perfect line means clipping the hedge as you take a blind apex. What a wonderful, crazy track....

OT, we watched the GP in our hotel in Hinterzarten, near Freiburg. We were trying to follow the commentary (where is Clark? why has Gurney stopped etc.) while competing with a piano accordion arrangement of 'Muss i Denn' (Wooden Heart) played incessantly by the hotelier's daughter. Whenever she stopped she changed TV channel so we encouraged her to keep going and leave us in (relative) peace!

#3 opplock

opplock

• 950 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 20:20

A very interesting film but I'm surprised that the best they could do for a camera car was a Formula Vee. Hubert Hahne must have been very bored touring round at that pace.

#4 toovo1985

toovo1985

• 58 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:54

Glad that you liked it john. I have been trying to gather some of these videos for a work piece about f1. And as races go by I have been trying to find some memorable videos about the most traditional tracks

#5 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:35

Glad that you liked it john. I have been trying to gather some of these videos for a work piece about f1. And as races go by I have been trying to find some memorable videos about the most traditional tracks

Others will be aware of lots more, but there are various pieces of footage that might interest you. I think you will find links on TNF (and YouTube) to film of Rouen, Crystal Palace, Spa, Brands Hatch, Monza, Clermont-Ferrand etc. Some is in-car, some is from the spectator areas, some is official broadcast. Careful how you use it though - copyright may be an issue.

#6 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:17

There's a much-published in-car clip of Stirling Moss at the wheel of (I think) a Cooper (but might be his Lotus 18) flicking through some Nurburgring bends, but I have never seen the whole lap, if it exists. One sees it quite often in tv/ video biogs of the Great Man but I have no idea how it came to be shot or in what it was originally used. Anyone know anything more?

While searching for it I came across this - http://www.britishpa...rd.php?id=41445 - Moss winning in the Birdcage Maser - which I had not seen before.

Edited by Mal9444, 12 July 2011 - 10:17.

#7 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:58

Excellent film the boogie woogie inspired soundtrack does make a lap of the 'ring seem like a medium pace Sunday drive compared to the wailing DFV in this clip with Howden Ganley at the wheel of a Williams / Iso Marlboro and commentary from JYS.

#8 rallen

rallen

• 555 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:14

Brilliant! going back to the mention of Spa, I have searched high and low but have never seen onboard of the old spa, does a lap of this actually exist on film?

#9 nmansellfan

nmansellfan

• 434 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 13:55

There's a much-published in-car clip of Stirling Moss at the wheel of (I think) a Cooper (but might be his Lotus 18) flicking through some Nurburgring bends, but I have never seen the whole lap, if it exists. One sees it quite often in tv/ video biogs of the Great Man but I have no idea how it came to be shot or in what it was originally used. Anyone know anything more?

I think it came from a BP film that may have never been officially released, I'm sure i've read somewhere that they thought the footage that they had captured wasn't good enough (how? It's Moss onboard at the Nurburgring!! :) ).

A pity, because along with that short clip, the only other onboards of the Nurburgring from a GP car I know of are the subject of this thread (From the 'Ringmasters' video by the way), the footage with Howden Ganley that arttidesco posted about and the onboard with Hermann Lang in the pre-war GP Mercedes.

#10 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 14:04

Brilliant! going back to the mention of Spa, I have searched high and low but have never seen onboard of the old spa, does a lap of this actually exist on film?

Rallen, I seem to remember seeing in-car Spa footage on TNF, shot from saloons or GTs in the early 1960s. Didn't it crop up in the discussion on the realignment of the track between Eau Rouge, Raidillion, Kemmel and Les Combes?

#11 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 15:49

Rallen, I seem to remember seeing in-car Spa footage on TNF, shot from saloons or GTs in the early 1960s. Didn't it crop up in the discussion on the realignment of the track between Eau Rouge, Raidillion, Kemmel and Les Combes?

Here go you: http://blog.sonuma.b...lucien-bianchi/

#12 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 16:23

Thanks Rob. Of course, Lucien Bianchi.......and the surprise VW Beetle!

#13 TonyS2

TonyS2

• 41 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 16:27

That's great ! Slightly disconcerting to see a Beetle going down Eau Rouge as the other cars are going up it !!
Lovely to see the old circuit like this. I wish they'd stuck with the forward facing camera for the whole lap though.

#14 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 16:32

There's a much-published in-car clip of Stirling Moss at the wheel of (I think) a Cooper (but might be his Lotus 18) flicking through some Nurburgring bends, but I have never seen the whole lap, if it exists. One sees it quite often in tv/ video biogs of the Great Man

The only extract I could find is this one (I suspect the poster doesn't hold the copyright!)
Taken in 1961 with the Lotus 18/21

#15 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 17:04

So F1 season is now heading to Nurburgring. So I decided to make a research on memories from the F1 comings to the circuit. While searching I found this video with onboard images from the Ring back in 1967. Excellent quality.

This has been lifted from "The Ringmasters, 1967 German Grand Prix" - "Pause for Nostalgia" a pair of Castrol films which I've got on a video from Mirror Vision but it is no doubt still around on DVD.

David

#16 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 18:23

The Hahne onboard footage came up at this earlier topic, by the way.

#17 rallen

rallen

• 555 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 19:03

Wow thanks John and Rob, really wanted to see that - after hearing Brian Redman and Richard Attawood talking about driving round the old Spa I was desperate to see some footage of what it would have been like.

#18 toovo1985

toovo1985

• 58 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:05

That was really great info u guys :)