Photo

GP de Brignoles 1931

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:05

Back in 1931 when French street races were in vogue a member of the Vial family organised a grand prix won by Rene Dreyfus. I have been helped by his son Jean-Louis who today owns the family vineyard, Chateau de la Lieue in Brignoles but even he has not a single photograph of the event only photocopies. The local tourist office provided a blank stare and even Maurice Louche the author and photograph collector has no pictures. Does anyone know where I might find even one photo from the race. Last week I walked round the course in the middle of the town and was amazed at how narrow some of the streets are. Perhaps one of our French readers may have a clue where I might find a photo of the race. Meanwhile this gives you an idea of the roads on which they raced. In the photo the cars are coming downhill towards the camera but obviously the bollards and widened pavements were not there but formidable as a racing circuit.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Advertisement

#2 ERault

ERault

• 336 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:32

Graham, you can find a photo of the event in Antoine Raffaelli's "Memoirs of a Bugatti Hunter", page 201. However, the photo is focused on 3 Bugattis on the starting grid, with the crowd behind fences in the background. Not much to learn of the course from this shot, but perhaps Mr Raffaelli has more ?

#3 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:57

Graham,
Maybe another good window is the splendid site:

http://memoiresdesta...hautetfort.com/

Edited by Arjan de Roos, 18 July 2011 - 09:57.

#4 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:24

Thank you to you both.

GG

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,252 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:03

How would one find the pics on that site, Arjan?

I've not been able to work it out...

#6 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:35

Hi Ray,
My idea is for Graham to request them through their e-mail. On this site quite a lot of French racing subjects pass by. They have quite a following and thus access to hidden archives.

#7 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:55

Back in 1931 when French street races were in vogue a member of the Vial family organised a grand prix won by Rene Dreyfus. I have been helped by his son Jean-Louis who today owns the family vineyard, Chateau de la Lieue in Brignoles but even he has not a single photograph of the event only photocopies. The local tourist office provided a blank stare and even Maurice Louche the author and photograph collector has no pictures. Does anyone know where I might find even one photo from the race. Last week I walked round the course in the middle of the town and was amazed at how narrow some of the streets are. Perhaps one of our French readers may have a clue where I might find a photo of the race. Meanwhile this gives you an idea of the roads on which they raced. In the photo the cars are coming downhill towards the camera but obviously the bollards and widened pavements were not there but formidable as a racing circuit.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hello Graham
there was an older thread

http://forums.atlasf...showtopic=83134

Michael

#8 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:56

Graham, you might find it useful to go via the local town hall/mairie, as they often have either their own archives or know of a local archive or photo source. Similarly with the local newspapers. For my own needs I found this worked for the races at les Sables d'Olonne, and elsewhere. In fact at one place I am sure they did not really realise just what a comprehensive archive they had, until one of the former mayors contacted a septuagenarian whom he knew who took the photographs in period. Invariably these people welcome enquiries like yours/ours.
Roger Lund

#9 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 13:13

Graham
I am sure the streets are rather more congested than they would have been when the race was run. There would be no pavements in those days, a situation that our locals on this bit of l'hexagone still thinks is extant, given their propensity for wandering out into the middle of the road for a chat. And they still believe in (I was going to say practice but I thought of the lewd comments) priorite a droite.
John