Photo

1951 Hopper Special Lea Francis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joepotts7

joepotts7

• 139 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 14:21

I am referring to the third of Ian Hopper’s specials, which used a Lea Francis 1.5L dirt track engine. The chassis of the car was made by Joe Potts of Bellshill and the car incorporated cast wheels as used by Joe in his JP cars. The aluminium bodywork was designed by Ian Hopper and even incorporated a seating compartment for his German Shepherd dog.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ian and the Hopper special went on to be a very successful combination. Some of the notable results are here:
Major results
1951 1st – June Boness International Speed Hill Climb
3rd – July Rest and Be Thankful International
2nd – July Winfield National Race Meeting
2nd – September Turnberry Daily Express Race Meeting
1st - September Boness Speed Hill Climb

1952 1st – March Turnberry ¼ mile Sprint
1st – April Charterhall Race Meeting
1st –May Charterhall Race Meeting
1st – June Boness International Speed Hill Climb
1st – July Rest and Be Thankful International
1st – September Boness Speed Hill Climb
Lap record-October Charterhall International Race meeting

1953 2nd - June Boness International Speed Hill Climb

Ian also formed the Ecurie Ossity race team with Jimmy Gibson and Harry Slack (to mock Ecurie Ecosse). They managed to beat Ecurie Ecosse at the inaugural 1952 Charterhall 3 hour team relay race.
I was wondering if anyone here had any recollections about the Hopper special or about Ian Hopper himself.
Regards,
Ben

Advertisement

#2 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 17:27

I am referring to the third of Ian Hopper’s specials, which used a Lea Francis 1.5L dirt track engine. The chassis of the car was made by Joe Potts of Bellshill and the car incorporated cast wheels as used by Joe in his JP cars. The aluminium bodywork was designed by Ian Hopper and even incorporated a seating compartment for his German Shepherd dog.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ian and the Hopper special went on to be a very successful combination. Some of the notable results are here:
Major results
1951 1st – June Boness International Speed Hill Climb
3rd – July Rest and Be Thankful International
2nd – July Winfield National Race Meeting
2nd – September Turnberry Daily Express Race Meeting
1st - September Boness Speed Hill Climb

1952 1st – March Turnberry ¼ mile Sprint
1st – April Charterhall Race Meeting
1st –May Charterhall Race Meeting
1st – June Boness International Speed Hill Climb
1st – July Rest and Be Thankful International
1st – September Boness Speed Hill Climb
Lap record-October Charterhall International Race meeting

1953 2nd - June Boness International Speed Hill Climb

Ian also formed the Ecurie Ossity race team with Jimmy Gibson and Harry Slack (to mock Ecurie Ecosse). They managed to beat Ecurie Ecosse at the inaugural 1952 Charterhall 3 hour team relay race.
I was wondering if anyone here had any recollections about the Hopper special or about Ian Hopper himself.
Regards,
Ben

Ben
I can certainly help you with some background but as I am leaving France for Silverstone tomorrow evening it will have to wait until I get back. As you say Ian had various specials and the one you illustrated was the most attractive and quickest. As for Ecurie Ossity this was a little joke by Ian, Jimmy Gibbon (Note no S) and Harry Havelock Slack who, incidentally, was my late former father-in-law. Ian worked for Harry for some time at his Simca agency but was very much an independent motor trader in Glasgow. Jimmy Gibbon's Rover Special was well made and very quick and Harry used a Healey saloon.
More later

#3 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 17:54

I don't know a lot, dispite the Lea-Francis engine but there's a chap on another forum who said he is going to write an article about Hopper and his specials. I'll get on to him sometime but he's travelling at present.

Silly footnote about racing team names: IIRC we had Equipe Ontrying at Hatfield Tech.

#4 joepotts7

joepotts7

• 139 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:25

Ben
I can certainly help you with some background but as I am leaving France for Silverstone tomorrow evening it will have to wait until I get back. As you say Ian had various specials and the one you illustrated was the most attractive and quickest. As for Ecurie Ossity this was a little joke by Ian, Jimmy Gibbon (Note no S) and Harry Havelock Slack who, incidentally, was my late former father-in-law. Ian worked for Harry for some time at his Simca agency but was very much an independent motor trader in Glasgow. Jimmy Gibbon's Rover Special was well made and very quick and Harry used a Healey saloon.
More later

Thanks Graham, any information would be much appreciated. Here is the badge from Ian's buisness
Posted Image

#5 joepotts7

joepotts7

• 139 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:27

I don't know a lot, dispite the Lea-Francis engine but there's a chap on another forum who said he is going to write an article about Hopper and his specials. I'll get on to him sometime but he's travelling at present.

Silly footnote about racing team names: IIRC we had Equipe Ontrying at Hatfield Tech.

Allan, I would be very interested to hear from the chap who is on the other forum. When you have some time try to ask him about it. Thanks.