* * * * - 6 votes

"Rush": F1 movie about James Hunt vs. Niki Lauda

• Please log in to reply
1032 replies to this topic

#801 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 372 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:01

I watched it last weekend. The best racing movie ever. Turned my non F1 fan friend to a F1 fan suddenly :D

Advertisement

#802 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 594 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:28

I haven't had the opportunity to see it yet but a young female co-worker--22--saw it with her boyfriend this weekend.

She knew nothing about it beforehand and is not racing knowledgeable.

Said she thoroughly enjoyed it.

A fair number of Hunt/Lauda pics can be found in my F1, Formula Atlantic and people sets.

http://www.flickr.co...681980@N03/sets

#803 Nesto

Nesto

• 94 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:42

I saw the movie with my wife and as with most movies with subjects I adore I've brought her to see before, she ended up liking the film more than I. Maybe its my own high expectations and her general lack of knowledge and being new to it all but I always come away a bit disappointed while she loves it.

Its entertaining but its really a movie about racing drivers rather than being a movie about racing. I love car chases in movies and the racing presented here is the absolute worst thing about the movie. I was incredibly sad about this. Most races are quick blurs with text saying "Hunt wins" or "Lauda wins". When they do actually show "race footage", its edited Bourne-style, meaning theres so many quick cuts and SUPER close-ups, you have no idea whats really going on. Since I became a F1 fan in 2006, I've watched every GP religiously, so this was a serious letdown. Also, I know this is a movie with made up dramatics but this part also bugged me. After recovering from his Nurburgring accident, they make it seem as if Lauda is stepping into a F1 car for the very first time prior to the race at Monza. Except, HELLO! He's starting P5 which means he had to qualify first!

Otherwise, yeah sure it was entertaining although not as much as I thought it would be. Niki Lauda was portrayed quite nicely as a complex, driven, interesting character by Bruhl. James Hunt by Hemsworth, well... he wasn't quite given much and was really uninteresting. A boring one-dimensional playboy I must say. 

Before F1, I was and still am a huge movie buff so I can say I was able to view "Rush" as both a F1 and movie fan. Movies are obviously a matter of taste but I'd give it a 7 out of 10 at most. I watched "Niki Lauda - Great Grand Prix Racing Heroes" and enjoyed that more and of course, its much more accurate. I wasn't impressed with "Senna" which I know all F1 fans seemingly love. I adore Senna immensely but the documentary was unfairly one-sided and not terribly entertaining or insightful. One of the best F1 documentaries I've seen is "Grand Prix - The Killer Years" that details F1 in the dark age when drivers really had the real risk of dying at any grand prix and Jackie Stewart's struggle to change things. Great, great documentary I recommend heartily.

#804 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,713 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:31

I knew what to expect and got it, so my moderate expectations meant I wasn't massively let down, but I couldn't understand why James Hunt is played as James Bond.

Yep the German bloke had access to Lauda to learn from, but did the Australian lad accidentally type 'Bond' into youtube?

Edited by Imperial, 08 October 2013 - 07:42.

#805 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:20

A great film. Contrasts massively with the sterile, clinical 2013 F1.  Given how much stick Hamilton gets around here about his baseball cap, imagine this place if it existed in 1976!

However it goes to show how the safety related changes were needed.

I knew what to expect and got it, so my moderate expectations meant I wasn't massively let down, but I couldn't understand why James Hunt is played as James Bond.

Yep the German bloke had access to Lauda to learn from, but did the Australian lad accidentally type 'Bond' into youtube?

If we are talking about accents... James was a toff and upper class play-boy. And so is James. I think it was a good performance.

Edited by stanga, 08 October 2013 - 08:21.

#806 jondoe955

jondoe955

• 498 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 15:46

Just saw the movie. I was probably expecting too much. Maybe knew too much. It didn't draw me in as much as I expected. But the knowing also made it so much better! The little details, how close the actors looked, (Clay!). 

The speeds didn't always look right. Maybe I'm too used to modern F1 cars on TV? I understand why they would start out at Watkins Glen, to pique the American audience. But wasn't that always a fall race? And how they seemed to combine the deaths of Francois Cevert and Helmuth Koinigg into one accident... Minor points, but off-putting, (the only F1 races I've ever attended. We were at the wrong end of the track for FC, but saw HK go off, from the other end of the boot. Guess that was close enough... I don't remember if they stopped the race, or did more than a local yellow. Anyone???)

This was a good movie. A compromise to draw non-racing fans in. And Americans. I would have been happy just seeing the cars! My wife also went. She HATES racing! But she wanted to see this. She may have liked it better than me. She's a hospital director, and also dislikes most hospital TV shows, where most of the errors go over my head. She, too, knows too much... 

I loved the ending, and where they showed the real people. I choked up during the fire scene. And on the drive home, talking about what happened to Clay and some others. What a sad period. My favorite period was the the mid to later 60's - the unadorned cars. But in the 70's, with TV exposure, we learned more about the drivers and their personalities. So that also made it an interesting era. 

And crap - I watched the Indycar race that evening, and saw Franchitti's horrible crash. All the spectacular crashes he's had - he should give a few million to safety research! And maybe a St Jackie Stewart bobblehead glued onto the car. I saw an online headline about his crash. And in this country, you know if it makes the news - it's BAD! So I had to watch the whole friggn race, dreading what would come. Score one for science and technology! 
Personally, I was happy just to see a movie about racing, and about these titans! :clap:

#807 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,789 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 18:55

They didn't stop the Glen in 1974.  John Surtees withdrew Koinigg's team-mate Jose Dolhem.  Everyone else carried on...

#808 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 3,199 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 20:00

Otherwise, yeah sure it was entertaining although not as much as I thought it would be. Niki Lauda was portrayed quite nicely as a complex, driven, interesting character by Bruhl. James Hunt by Hemsworth, well... he wasn't quite given much and was really uninteresting. A boring one-dimensional playboy I must say.

I disagree about Hunt's character--I think he was as complex as Lauda, just in a different way. The main difference between their two characters, to me, anyway, is that (generally speaking) Lauda knew exactly how racing worked and what he needed to do to win, but couldn't figure out how to translate that success into his personal life. Hunt, on the other hand, had no understanding of why he was so good as a racer, but knew exactly what he wanted out of life--and got it.

This is shown throughout the film for both men at varying moments--Lauda when, on his honeymoon, he finds that he is at conflict with himself and his ideals ('happiness is the enemy') and Hunt when he sinks into depression after showing up at Hesketh's shop to find them closed down and himself out of a drive. When their weaknesses are exposed, it makes them act in unusual ways.

This is also summarised in the film's ending, when Lauda says that Hunt is the only man he ever envied, because even though Lauda was always able to get that extra bit that he wanted out of his racing abilities, he was never able to get that extra bit out of life the way Hunt did. At least, that was my interpretation of the film--I'm sure everyone saw it differently and it perhaps wasn't quite like that in real life. Still an incredibly captivating story, in my opinion. :)

#809 Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes

• 318 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 21:23

Saw the movie the opening night in the US in a 400 person theater and there was a grand total of 3 patrons (including me) present. It was a midnight showing at least.

Very entertaining movie. The racing scenes weren't anywhere as good as Grand Prix or LeMans but still passable. As a real move, it was 10x better than LeMans or Grand Prix. As others said, there were some Ron Howard cliches but they weren't deal breakers. Also, the move never lost steam, in fact, it got progressively better and that is why I am debating to see again in the theater. 

#810 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,115 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:00

As a real movie, it was 10x better than LeMans or Grand Prix.

I don't agree. Grand Prix had a very poor and cheesy screenplay but an amazing opening (the split screens) and images shot during actual Grand Prix races, something that we cannot image in these days but because of it's poor, corny script (Rush has the superior screenplay and better acting performances, especially by Daniel Brühl) it was not a great film although still a must see for F1 fans (there are cameo's of several F1 drivers including Graham Hill). But the racing scenes in Grand Prix are far superior to the ones in Rush where we only see flashes of racing.

But Le Mans is imho the ultimate racing movie. Le Mans had a very minimalistic script but it's all about the racing, it captured the essence of what racing means to us with it's long shots of almost abstract images with roaring engine sounds, it almost feels like a documentary. Not Steve McQueen but the cars are the real actors in Le Mans. The biggest difference between Rush and Le Mans is that Rush is too much dramatised, it's a crowdpleaser where Le Mans made no compromises at all: that is more a film for the racefans, it's more pure but as a result is suited for a much smaller, niche audience. But you call Rush a 'real movie' and Le Mans not, well to me Le Mans is more a real and pure movie where Rush is a dramatised movie (read: a film that artificially manipulates the emotions of the audience, that makes it less real to me, it's what mainstream films always do!).

Edited by William Hunt, 09 October 2013 - 14:09.

#811 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,952 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:03

Just saw the movie today.

I thought the casting, acting and special effects were great, but the script was a bit too fast paced in dealing with the racing accomplishments of both drivers, especially Niki Lauda's.

It seem the movie had Lauda going from driving in F2 to winning the F1 WDC with Ferrari in the blink of an eye.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the movie. I'd give it two thumbs up. :up:  :up:

#812 Joe Bosworth

Joe Bosworth

• 515 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:55

Went to Rush this afternoon with my wife.

About half way through it I was thinking that it was rating an 8 out of 10.  After the Nurburgring accident and comeback I had it up to 8.5 of 10.

By the ending with the personalities fully filled out, (as Ronnie Howard saw them), and including the great last couple of minutes I ended up giving it 9 of 10.

I strongly recommend seeing it at a relatively small theater so as to me immersed in the sound and edges of the screen action.  At home with a DVD can never do it justice.  Though I will get a DVD and see it again so as to pick out detailed missed with all of the action.

While waiting for my wife getting out of the ladies on the way out I had a chance to buttonhole a grandmother, mother, daughter group to ask them what they thought.  They rated Rush a 9.5 out of 10.  Interesting!!!

Regards :clap:

#813 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 14:01

I really loved the movie. I grew up in a racing family, so, from a very young age growing up in the late 70ies I was exposed to racing, and in my room there was a beautiful poster of a red Ferrari driven by a guy with a red helmet...... He's always been one of my favorite drivers and personalities in F1, however, I was too young to have understood about his career while it was actually happening.

I really liked the movie, the cast, the wardrobe, makeup, etc. I thought it was great. There's a few things during the racing scenes that didn't really do it for me, like the "Lauda wins" and that stuff, also some of the scenes where thei flair the cars around as in trying to show they are going quicker, yes I love flair, but, there was something about those flairs..... I don't know how to express it......

Anyway, good movie, I'm probably going to watch it again.

#814 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 20:53

Just watched it.

Thought it was a very bland movie for the non Lauda scenes. The trailers were more eletricfying.

The film relied immensely on the dreadful commentator to unfold the story.

Didn't feel any of the emotion of Hunt winning the title, it was like, sorry I didn't make it, no you're world champion, yay, and he goes on a whore feast.

Disappointed by the cheesy postcard closure.

Liked Daniel as Lauda.

Didn't like how it portayed Lauda and Ferrari as the negative antagonists prior to the accident.

Didn't like how it left out Hunt's actual first win before joining McLaren, and his North American victories which set up the Japanese GP.

Hunt's infamous British GP disqualification was also omitted.

And really wanted to see the scene when Hunt sat in Lauda's Ferrari.

Oh well, I won't say it's a bad movie, worth a watch, but not a unforgettable expereince.

#815 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 22:19

Also, weren't Lauda and Hunt neighbours and close friends? I mean, if it's going to historically 80%, might as well do it 100%...

Another inaccuracy was Lauda first test run with a Ferrari, it was actually with the 73 car, not the 75 car...

#816 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 19,921 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:43

Adam Cooper @adamcooperf1
French journo: "Have you seen Rush?" Kimi: "No, still not (sighs...) F**k, you're asking every weekend the same question..."

#817 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,936 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:06

I wondered from that exchange if Kimi was talking about the press in general (probably) but I like to think it's just literally that one same French journo who REALLY wants Kimi's thoughts on the film and won't stop asking until Kimi gives in and takes himself off to the local fleapit and asks for a ticket for screen one, please.

#818 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,796 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:43

I wondered from that exchange if Kimi was talking about the press in general (probably) but I like to think it's just literally that one same French journo who REALLY wants Kimi's thoughts on the film and won't stop asking until Kimi gives in and takes himself off to the local fleapit and asks for a ticket for screen one, please.

I'm wondering, who really cares what Kimi thinks or does? :rolleyes:

#819 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 19,921 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:06

I'm wondering, who really cares what Kimi thinks or does? :rolleyes:

The public clearly do, if they didn't the press wouldn't  bother asking him. They wouldn't publish Kimi's views/answers if nobody was going to read it.

Advertisement

#820 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 157 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:39

Finally got round to seeing it last night, I took Mrs Dolphin along, even though she's not a fan of F1 and wasn't really looking forward to it, she was going just for my benefit and to keep me company.

She came out of the cinema raving about it and wanting to buy it on DVD when it comes out!

As for me, being an F1 fan since the 80's I loved it, it made you realize just how the cars have changed, how flimsy they were back then and how much the drivers of today are cocooned in their cars. Sure there were a few inaccuracies and some of the racing scenes weren't entirely realistic, but who cares? It was a great movie, telling a great story, it had great acting and some great action. For me, even with those small faults, I'd give it 10/10,one of the best films I've seen and I can't wait to see it again  :clap:

#821 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 1,676 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 15:59

Saw the movie yesterday. What I liked the most was seeing either the original cars of the time or their models. The Tyrell 6 wheeler, the Lotus, the Ferrari, amazing! OF course, as a F1 fan, one always wants to see more of that and the movie leaves you with the interest to go research more, look for the story, documentaries, books. I have tried to find the whole season for download but have only found 1990-2010. I also remembered that I once had a comic-format story (like the classic Asterix) about the 1978 F1 season I think, it was called "Grand Prix 1978", which I thought was pretty cool. I went looking for it like crazy but haven´t been able to find it so if anyone knows what I'm talking about and can point me to a place where I can find it, I would appreciate it.

Back to the movie, for a Hollywood movie about Formula 1 it was good. Having said that, I can't understand how even a director that's supposedly very careful about details still manages to pull a fast and furious. Maybe it shows how small F1 has been and still is in the US and the fact that most of the cars driven there are automatic :D. And also, I keep asking myself, why do Hollywood movies need to be peppered with clichés? Do they really think either they or their characters are being cool? "Sex, the breakfast of champions", WTF?!

#822 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,599 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 16:03

"Sex, the breakfast of champions", WTF?!

That was a bad example to choose as an inaccuracy. Hunt really did wear a badge on his overalls bearing that message.

#823 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 1,676 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 16:43

That was a bad example to choose as an inaccuracy. Hunt really did wear a badge on his overalls bearing that message.

I didn't say it was an inaccuracy, it was a cliche putting it in a movie, even though it was on his badge...

#824 JSF

JSF

• 676 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 17:45

I didn't say it was an inaccuracy, it was a cliche putting it in a movie, even though it was on his badge...

Bizarre statement when it was on his overalls for years and was a big part of his image. It would have been odd not to have that badge featured.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Below is my favourite picture of James, we have it on the office wall at work. Win, Beer, Fag, Bird, Job done. :lol:

james-hunt-penthouse-pet.jpg?w=700&h=773

#825 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 1,676 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 19:27

Bizarre statement when it was on his overalls for years and was a big part of his image. It would have been odd not to have that badge featured.

You are right, it was on his badge so it had to be in the movie. Lucky for Hollywood that a cliche was already there. This could go on, so I will stop here.

#826 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,021 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 21:11

So it's not enough that people have complained that it got details wrong, now we have complaints that they included details that were right. Did you also complain that Apollo 13 had the cliche "Houston we have a problem"?

#827 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,242 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 21:50

great movie all round, thoroughly enjoyed it.

I had doubts about hemsworth's depiction of hunt - he did seem to be doing a bond impersonation in the promo clips - but when viewed in the film's entirety, he nailed it. it turns out he didn't try too hard to do anything more than a serviceable upper-class british accent and instead concentrated on hunt's moodiness as conveyed by his varying vocal tones, which was a masterstroke. he also captured hunt's personality and charisma to a tee.

bruhl is a superb actor so it's no surprise he got lauda right, especially as he had the raw material to work with. without giving too much away, the way howard structured the film brought his character into play when it might otherwise have been difficult for US audiences to grasp it.

I find it amusing that some here complain about the lack of emphasis on the racing scenes or the dramatization of lauda and hunt's relationship. non-F1 fans with complaints about the movie site a thin plot dominated by racing and strung together by TV reports! this tells me the movie makers got the balance right.

#828 as65p

as65p

• 17,063 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 23:53

Win, Beer, Fag, Bird, Job done. :lol:

Brilliant pic, brilliant summit! :up: :D

#829 redbarron

redbarron

• 299 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:19

Saw it at Gold Class with my wife on the weekend. We both enjoyed the movie immensely. My wife even started looking up Hunt and Lauda on wikipedia afterwards. She doesn't like F1. Sports movies are nearly always a failure, so it was nice to have an F1 movie that was both entertaining and still wholely F1. I actually thought it might have been more drama then racing, but it wasn't.

My only real criticism, is the same as others have mentioned. It skipped pretty quick through the achievements of both drivers to get to 1976. I think they could have spent a little more time expanding on the time between the start of their F1 careers and 1976. Other then that thumbs up. Both actors did a great job!

It really just shows how much F1 has changed. Even my wife made that comment. I think it's just a shame its all down to the car and technology these days, rather then more about the drivers and characters of the sport.

#830 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:07

Yep. I even have one in the collection.

"Sex, the breakfast of champions"

#831 fastwriter

fastwriter

• 173 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:34

Saw it at Gold Class with my wife on the weekend. We both enjoyed the movie immensely. My wife even started looking up Hunt and Lauda on wikipedia afterwards. She doesn't like F1. Sports movies are nearly always a failure, so it was nice to have an F1 movie that was both entertaining and still wholely F1. I actually thought it might have been more drama then racing, but it wasn't.

My only real criticism, is the same as others have mentioned. It skipped pretty quick through the achievements of both drivers to get to 1976. I think they could have spent a little more time expanding on the time between the start of their F1 careers and 1976. Other then that thumbs up. Both actors did a great job!

It really just shows how much F1 has changed. Even my wife made that comment. I think it's just a shame its all down to the car and technology these days, rather then more about the drivers and characters of the sport.

Well, even back then it was about technology and the car. Most of the time, the teams who could spend the most money on developing their cars, where at the front. Lotus in the early and late 70s, McLaren and Ferrari in between. The best drivers had the seats in the best teams and won the titles, no different than today.

#832 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 682 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:40

Sad news. Sean was in the movie...

http://www.courierma...2-1226740247873

#833 CSquared

CSquared

• 614 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 18:55

So it's not enough that people have complained that it got details wrong, now we have complaints that they included details that were right. Did you also complain that Apollo 13 had the cliche "Houston we have a problem"?

Yes, 'cuz that's not what Lovell said.  :p

#834 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 3,199 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 19:36

Below is my favourite picture of James, we have it on the office wall at work. Win, Beer, Fag, Bird, Job done. :lol:

Love that pic--and a redhead, no less.  ;)

#835 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,021 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 20:12

Yes, 'cuz that's not what Lovell said.  :p

Oh yeah it was "We've had a problem". I haven't seen the film in a while and can't remember if they got it right. Edit: And it was actually Swigert. Well it worked in the film.

:love: As a proud owner of a TEAM GINGE hoodie (don't ask), I thoroughly approve  :up:

Edited by PayasYouRace, 15 October 2013 - 20:14.

#836 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,354 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 14:19

Saw it and was a little surprised, more racing and car orientated than i expected. Wasn't bad overall, my missus liked it. 

I think they pushed the characters too far apart, as just polar opposites, I doubt that was true. Hemsworth is also almost too good looking for the role, a little too glamourous rather than wild. Production was Ok buut a little too much 'fast and furious' and trying too hard to make it seem spectacular.

The sound was amazing though, did a great job there. 

#837 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,148 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 16:49

Victoria Lynn Johnson, 1977 Penthouse Pet of the Year. This photo, with her identity and Hunt's reputation were featured in many print publications of the period. The shot is taken after his victory at Watkins Glen.

#838 pRy

pRy

• 10,825 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 17:32

I enjoyed it. It did what it said on the tin very well. I found the first half more appealing than the second for some reason. Not sure why. The actors were spot on, especially Daniel who WAS Lauda. The way he spoke.. the mannerisms.. everything was perfect.

There were some moments of slight irritation. Such as them using Brands Hatch for the Monza scenes. Non F1 fans would perhaps be oblivious but I had a bit of a problem with seeing the cars in sections of circuit that simply don't exist at Monza. I'm guessing they couldn't get filming access to the track? Shame really as Monza is practically the same now as it was back then. But it's a minor gripe. Other minor gripes included making the German GP vote look like a heavy defeat for Lauda when it was actually close and why the suggestion the crash was mechanical failure? 

I think they should have got the real Niki to do the voice over at the start and the end. That would have been a nice touch. Perhaps also a 5 minute segment at the end showing the real James discussing the rivalry and then have Niki discussing it in present day. It would have been nice to have heard the real James. Out of interest did Niki write the start and ending dialog? 

Well worth seeing.

#839 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 5,997 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 18:14

I enjoyed it. It did what it said on the tin very well. I found the first half more appealing than the second for some reason. Not sure why. The actors were spot on, especially Daniel who WAS Lauda. The way he spoke.. the mannerisms.. everything was perfect.

There were some moments of slight irritation. Such as them using Brands Hatch for the Monza scenes. Non F1 fans would perhaps be oblivious but I had a bit of a problem with seeing the cars in sections of circuit that simply don't exist at Monza. I'm guessing they couldn't get filming access to the track? Shame really as Monza is practically the same now as it was back then. But it's a minor gripe. Other minor gripes included making the German GP vote look like a heavy defeat for Lauda when it was actually close and why the suggestion the crash was mechanical failure? 

I think they should have got the real Niki to do the voice over at the start and the end. That would have been a nice touch. Perhaps also a 5 minute segment at the end showing the real James discussing the rivalry and then have Niki discussing it in present day. It would have been nice to have heard the real James. Out of interest did Niki write the start and ending dialog? 

Well worth seeing.

No it's just the cost. Without a large budget it's not worth flying out to another country to shoot what would only be a few minutes of the film. It's cheaper to keep the production in as few places as possible.

Advertisement

#840 CSquared

CSquared

• 614 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 18:51

why the suggestion the crash was mechanical failure? 

I didn't know that there was any real disagreement it was mechanical failure. 

#841 pRy

pRy

• 10,825 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 19:31

I didn't know that there was any real disagreement it was mechanical failure. 

Ah right. I thought from the actual video he just over corrected.. but it's not the best footage.

#842 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,796 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 21:54

Any word on when the DVD/Blueray might be released??  

and

Will it include the TNF Anorak Guide to all the faults/inaccuracies etc  :clap:

#843 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,597 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 22:13

Amazon UK has a release date of January 27.

#844 FordFan

FordFan

• 3,414 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 23:08

I liked, not loved it. As others mentioned, racing scenes were too close up, and not a lot of depth to the characters. But, . . .

Wife liked it a lot, which is staggering since she things all racing is stupid. We had a ten minute discussion in the car over who was the most sympathetic character (me, Hunt - her, Lauda). Probably a sign of a decent movie.

It was silly to expect a movie for F1 fans. As a movie for the general public, it is a great success. For those of us, here . . . It's good enough.

#845 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:21

We had a ten minute discussion in the car over who was the most sympathetic character (me, Hunt - her, Lauda). Probably a sign of a decent movie.

This right here is what struck me.  To take a character like Niki Lauda, who on the face of it, is a total jerk to his wife, his competitors, and the press, and make him the most sympathetic character in the movie....who also features James Hunt.  That's pretty impressive.  Ron Howard is class.

Great movie. I explain to my friends that it's not a racing movie.  It's a character movie and the racing setting is just a vehicle for character development.

#846 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,796 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:37

Amazon UK has a release date of January 27.

right you are! Noted! :up:

#847 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 3,199 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 17:24

Victoria Lynn Johnson, 1977 Penthouse Pet of the Year. This photo, with her identity and Hunt's reputation were featured in many print publications of the period. The shot is taken after his victory at Watkins Glen.

Had to look her up. For some strange reason, when I turned SafeSearch off, all I got were results containing the picture of her with James Hunt. Weird. :p

#848 rghojai

rghojai

• 361 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:52

i'm pretty geeky about F1, went to the Canadian GP in '72, saw it today with a woman who didn't know what F1 stands for. We both enjoyed it.

#849 rghojai

rghojai

• 361 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:52

i'm pretty geeky about F1, went to the Canadian GP in '72, saw it today with a woman who didn't know what F1 stands for. We both enjoyed it.

#850 tomspar

tomspar

• 103 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 21:24

and the envelope please...

US box office: US$ 25,255,839

Overseas box office: US$ 47,500.000

Breakdown by country: http://www.boxoffice...id=rush2013.htm