* * * * - 6 votes

"Rush": F1 movie about James Hunt vs. Niki Lauda

• Please log in to reply
1032 replies to this topic

#101 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,078 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 00:25

OMG this film is really getting me nervously excited.... this film could be the tops if it pulls off as well as it looks in pics...

Advertisement

#102 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 00:34

I hope they don't botch it...the Fuji scene will be interesting...I hope they don't try and big up some bitter rivalry cos to my knowledge there wasn't any, seems strange, I mean if they wanted a movie like that even though Senna has been released they could have done a fictional movie on that, or Schumacher vs Hill with the death threats from the German fans etc that would have been interesting

#103 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,803 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 00:51

I hope they don't botch it...the Fuji scene will be interesting...I hope they don't try and big up some bitter rivalry cos to my knowledge there wasn't any, seems strange, I mean if they wanted a movie like that even though Senna has been released they could have done a fictional movie on that, or Schumacher vs Hill with the death threats from the German fans etc that would have been interesting

Then you should probably read up on the 1976 season, or have a look on 'you tube'. They have no need to play up a non-existent bitter rivalry between Lauda and Hunt. There was plenty enough other action going on.

#104 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 00:53

Then you should probably read up on the 1976 season, or have a look on 'you tube'. They have no need to play up a non-existent bitter rivalry between Lauda and Hunt. There was plenty enough other action going on.

No I know that, but my point was I hope they don't try and make it like a hero vs the villan type thing, cos it wasn't like that at all.

#105 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,078 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 00:55

The book "In the name of glory" is a good starter, and probably no coincidence it's publishing being around this time...

#106 monaco

monaco

• 161 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 15:02

The US trade paper on entertainment, VARIETY, has taken interest on current filming plans based on Formula One racing -- here's a very extensive article on the subject, with some emphasis on the relative lack of American interest in the sport :

http://www.variety.c...S|News|FilmNews

FILM
Film News

Posted: Sat., Mar. 10, 2012, 4:00am PT

Few F1 films see success in U.S.

Many attempts to make a Formula One hit have failed

By Adam Dawtrey

Universal backed docu 'Senna,' a critical hit, but stumbled in the distribution lap.

LONDON -- Will U.S. moviegoers want to see a championship duel between a posh Brit and an icy Austrian that took place four decades ago in a sport they don't care about?

Brian Oliver is betting they will. The producer and financier who took ballet ("Black Swan") far beyond its fanbase and backed Daniel Radcliffe in his first post "Potter" hit ("The Woman in Black"), is banking on director Ron Howard to bring the kind of magic to Formula One motor racing with "Rush." Formula One has always seemed ready-made for Hollywood. The sport is peopled with international heroes engaged in a struggle that can be life-or-death. It combines high technology and low politics. It takes place in exotic locations. And it boasts a global TV audience of more than 500 million.

But there's a snag: The U.S. is the one major territory F1 has failed to crack.

Despite numerous attempts over the past 50 years to set up movie projects featuring the sport, only a handful have ever made it to the starting line. And those few have mostly fallen short, both creatively and commercially, in their attempt to capture Formula One's high-octane drama -- at least until "Senna" came along last year. That documentary by Asif Kapadia about the life and death of Brazilian racing legend Ayrton Senna has given hope to other filmmakers that it's possible to do justice to F1 on the bigscreen. A slew of features are now in the works.

"Rush," which started shooting Feb. 22 in the U.K., is the first. Its success or failure could determine whether the others will stall in development or accelerate into production.

"It was a kind of a race to see who could get the first one away," Oliver says. "The others are definitely now in wait-and-see mode."

Producers with rival F1 projects are certainly cheering "Rush" on. Irish producer Frank Mannion, who's developing a script called "Racing Bull" about the rise of the current world champ Red Bull team, says: "There's a degree of caution among potential financiers who want to see how 'Rush' does. I'm sure it will be an amazing movie, and I would hope that if it succeeds, there will be an appetite for more."

Oliver says he believes the story, rather than the sport, is what will drive people to theaters. "I don't think people will go to see 'Rush' because of the motor racing, but because it's a really great, character-driven story that happens to be set in that world," Oliver notes. "People didn't go to see 'Black Swan' because it's a ballet movie, or 'The Wrestler' because it's about wrestling. The problem with a lot of sports movies is that they don't transcend the sport, and auto sport movies in particular have been really bad because their focus is so much on the cars."

Scripted by Peter Morgan and co-produced by Andrew Eaton of Revolution Films, "Rush" tells the extraordinary true story of the 1975-76 world championship duel between English playboy James Hunt, played by Chris Hemsworth, and Austrian champion Niki Lauda, played by Daniel Bruehl. Hunt was notorious for partying as wildly as he raced, while Lauda was a perfectionist who did exactly what was necessary to win.

Halfway through the season, Lauda was leading the championship by miles when he crashed in the German Grand Prix. He suffered burns to his head and lapsed into a coma, but remarkably returned to racing just six weeks later. In the meantime, Hunt ate away at Lauda's lead, and stood just three points behind going into the final race in Japan. Faced with appallingly dangerous weather conditions, the usually nerveless Lauda retired early from the race because he thought the conditions too dangerous, and Hunt took the title by finishing third in the torrential rain.

Lauda, who still has extensive scarring from the accident, is heavily involved in "Rush" as a consultant. (Hunt died in 1993.)

"It's like 'The Right Stuff,' " Oliver says. "People don't like to admit it, but the sexiness of auto racing is the danger; men risking their lives every time they get into the cockpit."

Oliver's Cross Creek Pictures is co-financing the $56 million project with Exclusive Media Group. Universal, which bankrolled "Senna" but didn't release it domestically itself (see sidebar), has taken U.S. rights under its first-look deal with Cross Creek.

Clearly, "Rush" has a big marketing advantage in territories where F1 is popular. "There's definitely a bonus in the U.K., because of James Hunt, and in Austria, Germany and Italy where Niki Lauda is loved," Oliver says. But he believes Howard is the key to selling "Rush" to American moviegoers.

"American audiences expect a certain amount of quality from a director as great and commercial as Ron Howard, and Chris Hemsworth is a star in the U.S. With Ron directing, the U.S. should be equal to or better than foreign," Oliver predicts. "Now with the Internet age, American audiences are much more apt to see movies that are well reviewed than movies on specific topics. If we make the movie well, it won't matter if Americans don't know who James Hunt is. Look at 'Chariots of Fire' -- no American knew who that was about, but it won best picture." (The 1981 film grossed $59 million domestically.)

There are some wealthy players behind Formula One with a vested interest in expanding its worldwide audience even further. If the movie can help to break open the largely untapped American market, that's the jackpot.

Formula One mogul Bernie Ecclestone is renewing his assault on the U.S. The sport is set to return to America in 2012 for the first time since 2007, with a U.S. Grand Prix taking place this November in Austin, Texas. In 2013, the race will be staged in New Jersey against the backdrop of the Manhattan skyline. The real drive to raise the profile of F1 in the U.S. is coming from automobile manufacturers, who bankroll the teams as a promotion for their premium wares.

Oliver notes: "I'm a fan of Formula One, but it's not a big sport in the U.S. because it's hard to figure out where to watch the races (on TV). But the U.S. is making a huge effort to get two races, and if Bernie thinks there's an audience, there probably is. If you could crack that market. It's potentially massive."

Manish Pandey, the writer and exec producer of "Senna," suggests that the problem for U.S. audiences is their unfamiliarity with the history of the sport and its personalities. "They've just never had a helmet they could root for," he says.

Films such as "Senna" and "Rush" could help to fill in the backstory. Pandey is developing a $50 million drama about the early days of the Ferrari Grand Prix team in the 1950s, co-written by Tim Nuthall and produced by Julia Taylor-Stanley.

With the working title of "Figlio," it's the true story of two English drivers who raced for Ferrari's legendary founder Enzo Ferrari, and vied for the love of the same American woman. "Our story is much more off the track than on it. It's not just set in the world of Grand Prix," Pandey says.

Pandey, who's the darling of the F1 crowd after "Senna," is looking to raise the finance entirely out of Europe and the Middle East, and is in the midst of courting Ferrari for its blessing. "There's no resistance to financing this project in the Middle East, and for Ferrari it's a heritage project," he says.

Other Formula One or closely related projects include:

•Mannion's "Racing Bull," a David vs. Goliath story about how car designer Adrian Newey led the Red Bull team from nowhere to back-to-back championships in just five years. Mannion has a first draft script and is in talks with F1's Ecclestone for his sanction.

•A remake of John Frankenheimer's 1966 film "Grand Prix," by producer Peter Douglas at L.A.-based Vincent Pictures.

•A biopic of Jackie Stewart, the Scottish F1 champ from the early 1970s, titled "Winning Is Not Enough," being developed by Bill Pohlad at River Road.

•"Villeneuve," about Canadian driver Gilles Villeneuve, which Brit producer Jeremy Thomas has on his development slate.

•An adaptation of Garth Stein's quirky novel "The Art of Racing in the Rain," which Universal optioned as a vehicle for Patrick Dempsey. The book is narrated by a dog trying to learn how to be human by observing his owner, a racing driver.

•Michael Mann's "Go Like Hell," about the Ferrari vs. Ford rivalry for supremacy at the 24 Hours of Le Mans race during the 1960s. It was close to being set up at Fox last year, but is reportedly on hold until "Rush" is finished.

•"Real Steel" writer Dan Gilroy is developing a "Rocky"-style script about a fictional American driver trying to break into Formula One.

With "Rush" safely under way, Oliver hopes the others get some drag from his slipstream.

"I'm a motor sport fan, and we need some good movies about auto-racing," he says. "I've seen all the old movies, and there hasn't been a good one … if ("Rush") is as good as we hope, maybe we'll see more."

Of the few studio films that have featured Formula One themes, fewer still have won roses at the finish line.

"Grand Prix" (1966): Shot throughout the preceding season using actual races and drivers, John Frankenheimer's movie, starring James Garner, was generally regarded (before "Senna," at least) as the only half-decent feature ever made about the sport. However, the full impact of its thrilling live-action footage was lost with the death of the super widescreen Cinerama format in which it was shot.

"Bobby Deerfield" (1977): A curio in the careers of director Sydney Pollack and star Al Pacino, this misfired drama sees Pacino playing a star American driver who falls for a free-spirited European woman who turns out to be terminally ill.

"Driven" (2001): This notorious Renny Harlin-Sylvester Stallone collaboration was supposed to be set on the Formula One circuit. But it was hastily rewritten for ChampCar when they couldn't get sufficient access to the F1 world. The resulting mish-mash was described by critics as the worst car racing movie ever made, and nominated for seven Razzies.

"Iron Man 2" (2010): Formula One makes a rare appearance in a blockbuster, when Robert Downey Jr's eponymous hero finds himself challenged by the villainous Mickey Rourke while racing around the legendary Monaco street circuit.

"Senna" (2011): This BAFTA-winning doc mines extraordinary footage to recount the life and tragic death of Brazilian racing legend Ayrton Senna. Pic was the first doc ever made by Universal and a passion project for Working Title's exec producer and motor sport fanatic Eric Fellner. But U never seemed sure how to distribute it, opting for a gradual worldwide rollout, which delivered big numbers in the U.K. ($5.2 million), Brazil ($1.3 million) and Japan ($1.3 million), but less impressive tallies elsewhere. In the U.S., the studio palmed the pic off on the Producers Distribution, which scraped out a modest $1.6 million.

Contact the Variety newsroom at news@variety.com

Edited by monaco, 10 March 2012 - 15:04.

#107 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,107 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 15:17

A remake of the story line of Grand Prix would actually be really good based on today's time.

#108 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,925 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 17:12

Jesus, the plot in Grand Prix sucked. That was not a good movie. The camera work was amazing, but the appeal of the movie was mainly technical.

#109 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,659 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 17:24

Jesus, the plot in Grand Prix sucked. That was not a good movie. The camera work was amazing, but the appeal of the movie was mainly technical.

As much as I'm looking forward to Rush, the story isn't that great, either.

Lauda has a big lead in the points, crashes and is out for some races so Hunt comes in an inevitably eats away at the lead and then Lauda's triumphant return turns completely anticlimactic as he pulls out of the last race, letting Hunt win the championship uncontended. Hardly a Hollywood feel-good story. The way they'll pull this off is by making us care less about the championship battle and more about the personal lows and highs these drivers went through during the time, which isn't much different than Grand Prix when you think about it.

#110 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 17:35

Lauda has a big lead in the points, crashes and is out for some races so Hunt comes in an inevitably eats away at the lead and then Lauda's triumphant return turns completely anticlimactic as he pulls out of the last race, letting Hunt win the championship uncontended. Hardly a Hollywood feel-good story. The way they'll pull this off is by making us care less about the championship battle and more about the personal lows and highs these drivers went through during the time, which isn't much different than Grand Prix when you think about it.

There'll be a love story......

Lauda overcomes his physical adversity by rediscovering himself etc. etc.

Tom Cruise to cameo.

#111 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 22:15

Lauda has a big lead in the points, crashes and is out for some races so Hunt comes in an inevitably eats away at the lead and then Lauda's triumphant return turns completely anticlimactic as he pulls out of the last race, letting Hunt win the championship uncontended.

That is one of the most ridiculous posts I've read so far on this, the making of a film revolving around the 1976 F1 season. It was a year which, as the manifold dramas unfolded, was talked about at the time as being almost too much for a Hollywood script.

Until you actually know something about a period which clearly predates your birth, it's probably advisable to keep it buttoned.

#112 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,659 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 22:52

That is one of the most ridiculous posts I've read so far on this, the making of a film revolving around the 1976 F1 season. It was a year which, as the manifold dramas unfolded, was talked about at the time as being almost too much for a Hollywood script.

Until you actually know something about a period which clearly predates your birth, it's probably advisable to keep it buttoned.

Hollywood has changed a bit since 1976.

I'm sure as an F1 fan, the 1976 season was incredibly dramatic and gripping. People said the same thing about the 2008 season. "You couldn't write a better story!" Blah blah. But this is stuff F1 fans care about. I'm skeptical that the actual championship battle will provide the main 'motive' for watching it.

Maybe I didn't experience the era first-hand, but I'm a pretty avid F1 fan. I've seen and read a lot about that season(and others from back then), so I'm not completely ignorant here. On the face of it, it seems that the human aspect will need to be the major draw for the movie, not the racing or the championship itself, which WAS anticlimactic in my opinion. Not a bad ending, mind you, just not a Hollywood one if you get what I'm saying.

Perhaps I'll be proven wrong and I'll be happy with that. As an F1 fan, I'd love for the racing and everything to get a lion's share of the attention, but I'm skeptical, like I said.

#113 Risil

Risil

• 14,469 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 23:01

Lauda walks away rather than race in unbelievably risky conditions for something that, he now sees, is not a matter of life and death. Sounds like the ending of Rollerball! :D

Incidentally there was a BBC sports documentary series in 1996 called Clash of the Titans, which featured an episode about the 1976 Formula One season. Watching it aged six, I think it was the first time I felt interested in the history of the sport and its stories. So there's probably hope. ;)

Edited by Risil, 10 March 2012 - 23:09.

#114 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 23:05

+1

#115 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,659 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 23:13

+1

Why do you have some fairly vague comment of mine as your sig, by the way?

#116 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 23:19

Why do you have some fairly vague comment of mine as your sig, by the way?

Because you were a somewhat doom monger leading up to Australia 2011, and the day you wrote that was after practice two last year, and I said I couldn't believe me eyes you said something positive about McLaren, thanked you for not giving me 100 excuses (like the rest of people that wrote mclaren off as backmarkers) and said it will remain in my sig until the end of FP2 this year :)

#117 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 23:38

Hollywood has changed a bit since 1976.

I'm sure as an F1 fan, the 1976 season was incredibly dramatic and gripping. People said the same thing about the 2008 season. "You couldn't write a better story!" Blah blah. But this is stuff F1 fans care about. I'm skeptical that the actual championship battle will provide the main 'motive' for watching it.

Maybe I didn't experience the era first-hand, but I'm a pretty avid F1 fan. I've seen and read a lot about that season(and others from back then), so I'm not completely ignorant here. On the face of it, it seems that the human aspect will need to be the major draw for the movie, not the racing or the championship itself, which WAS anticlimactic in my opinion.

Ignoring your first comment, I can assure you that the 2008 Championship held not a candle to 1976. Totally and utterly different worlds.

Whilst I respect your enthusiasm for the sport, I doubt you've absorbed the full story regarding '76. Tractor in Graz? Wings in Spain? Fuel in Italy? To name but three. I trust that Howard's lot have at least cottoned-on to those aspects, and others besides... And as for the final GP in Japan being "anticlimactic as he pulls out of the last race" well, that pretty much proves my point. Watch the race - it can't be that hard - and see that James was ready to deck his TM because he thought he'd blown it for him!

Yes, the human side was an intrinsic part of the tale - how could it not be? - the lead characters were friends from way back.

#118 Risil

Risil

• 14,469 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 23:44

I'm a motor racing fan, but I don't know if I could sit through a movie trying to explain to me why James Hunt's car was too wide in Spain, or had the wrong fuel at Monza, or couldn't take the restart in Britain... :lol:

Edited by Risil, 10 March 2012 - 23:44.

#119 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 23:53

I didn't mention the re-start at Brands, but I did refer to the 'tractor in Graz'.

:p

Advertisement

#120 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,486 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 23:54

No commenting on anything else there, but reading what you wrote on the 2008 season makes me really want to see a movie done on it :)

It had everything, Hamilton the protagonist with the world against him (he's even black!), controversy and a conspiring FIA from the big bad Max, race fixing from the sinister Briatore and his arch-nemesis Alonso, and of course the dramatic fight to the finish, culminating with the overthrow of the evil Ferrari! :D

And I'm still not sure how serious I was being :p ;)

#121 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,271 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 23:54

I hope that nobody is under the illusion that this film is about F1, because from what I can gather it isn't. It is about the lives of people who "happen" to be F1 drivers. It will be about their lifestyle and personalities. Friendship, enemies and love. I'm expecting it to be of a Top Gun style but with F1 instead. As it isn't totally fictional then it will add another elemant. Hopefully with that it will have a better script. But I'm not expecting more than that.

Saying that, at the time it came out, I loved Top Gun. :D

#122 Risil

Risil

• 14,469 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 23:55

No commenting on anything else there, but reading what you wrote on the 2008 season makes me really want to see a movie done on it :)

It had everything, Hamilton the protagonist with the world against him (he's even black!), controversy and a conspiring FIA from the big bad Max, race fixing from the sinister Briatore and his arch-nemesis Alonso, and of course the dramatic fight to the finish, culminating with the overthrow of the evil Ferrari! :D

And I'm still not sure how serious I was being :p;)

And the best thing is, since it was so recent, all the drivers could play themselves!

Admit you'd like to see that. :p

Edited by Risil, 10 March 2012 - 23:55.

#123 showtime

showtime

• 2,676 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 23:57

I hope that nobody is under the illusion that this film is about F1, because from what I can gather it isn't. It is about the lives of people who "happen" to be F1 drivers. It will be about their lifestyle and personalities. Friendship, enemies and love. I'm expecting it to be of a Top Gun style but with F1 instead. As it isn't totally fictional then it will add another elemant. Hopefully with that it will have a better script. But I'm not expecting more than that.

This, if anyone think they're going to go in such detail about the races you'll be highly disappointed.

#124 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,486 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 00:31

And the best thing is, since it was so recent, all the drivers could play themselves!

Admit you'd like to see that. :p

I most certainly would :p

#125 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,494 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:31

Ron Howard seems to have a very safe style of fim making, so I don't think we will get a nerd fest movie here for us but it will definately be an excellent movie.

The pictures I have seen so far look just amazing and I have no doubt the story is in the hands of a diretor who believes the story is the most important thing, but in saying that, I have no doubt he will be very true to the real story. He seems to have a lot of respect for this.

If there are any stephen king fans out there who are slaves to his dark tower series like me, you will know what I'm talking about. The Dark Tower is the culmination of Kings work, and us fans are rabid about the movie being done in nothing less than a perfect way. Ron Howard is directing/producing this after rush. When first hearing Howard was eventually the man who will be doing it I was honestly worried. But after hearing what his plans are to bring the series to the screen I am beyond relief! It will be 3 movies all filmed at once, with an HBO series inbetween each movie!!!!!!! With King heavily involved all the way. If that's not being true to a story and doing a masterpiece justice, then I don't know what is. My respect for Howard as a director has gone up MASSIVELY in the last year.

(ps Javier Bardem - the villain from no country for old men, is the lead in the dark tower. Massive points for Howard :up: )

#126 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,803 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:53

This, if anyone think they're going to go in such detail about the races you'll be highly disappointed.

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

#127 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,107 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:21

Ron Howard seems to have a very safe style of fim making, so I don't think we will get a nerd fest movie here for us but it will definately be an excellent movie.

I expect the movie to be like Apollo 13 (Howard's best movie IMO). It will highlight the emotions without being overly "Hollywood".

#128 Owen

Owen

• 10,774 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:53

I would think it will focus on the contrasting personalities/outlooks of Hunt and Lauda, and how that rivalry intensified. But it will have some good racing action in it too, no doubt helped by the latest CGI.

#129 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,659 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 16:47

Because you were a somewhat doom monger leading up to Australia 2011, and the day you wrote that was after practice two last year, and I said I couldn't believe me eyes you said something positive about McLaren, thanked you for not giving me 100 excuses (like the rest of people that wrote mclaren off as backmarkers) and said it will remain in my sig until the end of FP2 this year :)

I say lots of good things about Mclaren. Some of you just choose to ignore that. I dont know how many times I have to say it, but I have nothing against Mclaren. :well:

Ignoring your first comment, I can assure you that the 2008 Championship held not a candle to 1976. Totally and utterly different worlds.

Whilst I respect your enthusiasm for the sport, I doubt you've absorbed the full story regarding '76. Tractor in Graz? Wings in Spain? Fuel in Italy? To name but three. I trust that Howard's lot have at least cottoned-on to those aspects, and others besides... And as for the final GP in Japan being "anticlimactic as he pulls out of the last race" well, that pretty much proves my point. Watch the race - it can't be that hard - and see that James was ready to deck his TM because he thought he'd blown it for him!

Yes, the human side was an intrinsic part of the tale - how could it not be? - the lead characters were friends from way back.

I hope some of the finer points of the season are detailed(dont know what you're referring to about fuel in Italy, though...?), I'm just not getting my hopes up for it. But yea, maybe the overall story could be decent. I suppose I just dont have a lot of imagination.

#130 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,400 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 16:59

I say lots of good things about Mclaren. Some of you just choose to ignore that. I dont know how many times I have to say it, but I have nothing against Mclaren. :well:

I hope some of the finer points of the season are detailed(dont know what you're referring to about fuel in Italy, though...?), I'm just not getting my hopes up for it. But yea, maybe the overall story could be decent. I suppose I just dont have a lot of imagination.

I agree watch the race on YouTube it is quiet dramatic. I thought the great performance of Mario got lost in all the drama. James really got a great start and he showed a lot of aggression in the horrid conditions. It was great drama AND a great determined effort. :up:

#131 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 17:25

Someone asked Peter Windsor if he was following Ron Howard (Via Twitter) and the progress of the movie. His reply was "No - have heard some disturbing reports from friends who have been involved with it." Wonder what makes him say that?* :confused:

*Rhetorical question - i hardly expect anyone here to know Windsor's thoughts.

#132 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,659 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 18:04

I agree watch the race on YouTube it is quiet dramatic. I thought the great performance of Mario got lost in all the drama. James really got a great start and he showed a lot of aggression in the horrid conditions. It was great drama AND a great determined effort. :up:

Will do.

#133 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 18:09

Someone asked Peter Windsor if he was following Ron Howard (Via Twitter) and the progress of the movie. His reply was "No - have heard some disturbing reports from friends who have been involved with it." Wonder what makes him say that?* :confused:

Windsor better hope no one makes a Documentary about USF1.

edit:spelling

Edited by Watkins74, 11 March 2012 - 18:19.

#134 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 18:16

Windsor better hope no on makes a Documentary about USF1.

:lol:doubt anyone would want to either!

#135 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,271 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 18:28

A documentary about toasters?  ;)

#136 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,803 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 18:38

In a very brief nutshell IIRC, at Monza it all had to do with the Italians finding the fuel octane rating used by Texaco to be over the legal limit and the McLarens were forced to start from the back of the grid. I was there that weekend and the Mclaren team were fairly well vilified by the tifosi.
To add, after the Spanish GP Hunt's winning Mclaren was found to be too wide, he was disqualified, then reinstated 2 months or so later.
Hunt's British GP win was protested by Ferrari and he was disquailfied, handing the win to Lauda. Ferrari claimed he should never have been allowed to take the re-start AFTER the first corner accident caused by Lauda and Regazzoni coming together.
To say that there was bad blood between McLaren and Ferrari is understating things in the extreme.
I think it all started the previous year at the USGP when Regazzoni, after pitting for a flat tire IIRC allowed Lauda by, but refused to yield, despite numerous blue flags, to Fittipladi who was giving chase to Niki. Clay was black flagged and even then it took a few laps before he decided to pit. The subsequent photo is one in sequence that I took during the fistfight that broke out between clerk of the course Burdette Martin and Luca de Montezemolo who was livid that Clay should be black flagged.
Different times back then......

Posted Image

Copyright JAG

#137 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,925 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 18:46

Which one is Luca?

#138 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 18:53

Which one is Luca?

Scrawny little guy under the guys hand on the left.

#139 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,400 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 18:57

In a very brief nutshell IIRC, at Monza it all had to do with the Italians finding the fuel octane rating used by Texaco to be over the legal limit and the McLarens were forced to start from the back of the grid. I was there that weekend and the Mclaren team were fairly well vilified by the tifosi.
To add, after the Spanish GP Hunt's winning Mclaren was found to be too wide, he was disqualified, then reinstated 2 months or so later.
Hunt's British GP win was protested by Ferrari and he was disquailfied, handing the win to Lauda. Ferrari claimed he should never have been allowed to take the re-start AFTER the first corner accident caused by Lauda and Regazzoni coming together.
To say that there was bad blood between McLaren and Ferrari is understating things in the extreme.
I think it all started the previous year at the USGP when Regazzoni, after pitting for a flat tire IIRC allowed Lauda by, but refused to yield, despite numerous blue flags, to Fittipladi who was giving chase to Niki. Clay was black flagged and even then it took a few laps before he decided to pit. The subsequent photo is one in sequence that I took during the fistfight that broke out between clerk of the course Burdette Martin and Luca de Montezemolo who was livid that Clay should be black flagged.
Different times back then......

Posted Image

Copyright JAG

One of the great photos of all time. Luca had been in a bad mood all race weekend; he was really feeling the tension in those early years. I'm not sure why. He had gone to Columbia in NYC where he got a Master Degree, I believe so he knew and understood America a bit; but I think he saw us Americanos as dirty scruffy hippies or whatever.

One day when it was particularly crowded with American spectators he shoved me aside and I just laughed at him. I could have kicked his ass; but I probably would have been arrested or at the least thrown out. I was not prepared to risk that. I'm sure I reeked of beer and such; so its possible I was also too stunned or too stoned to reach. Anyway it was hardly the behavior you expected from someone of his stature.

In essence I've never been arrested in my life and I wasn't about to blow it that day. :mad:

Advertisement

#140 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,659 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 19:58

Interesting stuff and a fantastic photo(pretty sure I've seen it before, too). Thanks for sharing guys. :)

#141 vashlin

vashlin

• 323 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 22:17

I was there that day at the Glen. The picture was taken from the pit roof from the looks of it. If so, I was probably standing very near as that's the view I recall seeing.

I was so surprised by what was taking place that, for once, I didn't get my camera up in time.

A great shot. Just as I remember it.

LinC

#142 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 22:36

This was a year ago mate when McLaren were off the pace an people were saying come back after Aus and continue to tell us we're off the pace and then everyone got the shock of their lives when McLaren were fast. But who cares you only need to wait 4 more days til its gone, and after seeing the shots of the guy from Thor playing Hunt im getting really excited for this movie!

#143 techspeed

techspeed

• 372 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 23:21

I thought we already had one :rotfl:

#144 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,659 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 00:42

But who cares you only need to wait 4 more days til its gone

Didn't really care, I was just curious.

#145 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,216 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 21:06

Just found out a mate of mine is working on the film. They'll be shooting at top gears race track. I hope to get onto the set. So far apparently it's all models in denim shorts and hot pants!

#146 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,873 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 23:39

Michael Mann's "Go Like Hell," about the Ferrari vs. Ford rivalry for supremacy at the 24 Hours of Le Mans race during the 1960s. It was close to being set up at Fox last year, but is reportedly on hold until "Rush" is finished.

This sounds promising. The book this is based on is already on my reading list. :)

#147 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,580 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 00:55

Here's a couple links to Ron Howard talking about the fim. Sounds promising..

http://www.movieweb....ward-talks-rush

http://www.contactmu...rmula-1_1254693

#148 Talisker

Talisker

• 295 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:07

I suspect it's because the movie won't contain any footage of Lewis Hamilton showing his genius by caressing the throttle like an attentive lover, flexing his perfect foot and causing his toned calf muscle to bulge exquisitely in the dusty glow of the morning sun.

#149 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,613 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:21

I suspect it's because the movie won't contain any footage of Lewis Hamilton showing his genius by caressing the throttle like an attentive lover, flexing his perfect foot and causing his toned calf muscle to bulge exquisitely in the dusty glow of the morning sun.

:lol:

#150 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:43

Just found out a mate of mine is working on the film. They'll be shooting at top gears race track. I hope to get onto the set. So far apparently it's all models in denim shorts and hot pants!

They're currently at Blackbushe Airfield I believe, which is just a few miles south of me here in Reading.