No French Grand Prix...

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 19:36

I heard that there was a Grand Prix this weekend,
I expected that it only could have been another French Grand Prix..
As the French Grand Prix started it all,
Back in 1906.
We are better of now, with all those important races in:
WHERE??
Yes I am getting to old at 64..
Paul :rotfl:

Edited by paulhooft, 22 July 2011 - 19:36.

Advertisement

#2 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 19:56

I agree, and have long thought it strange that the originator and country of management has no GP.

I'm getting older as well.... :yawnface:

Edited by E1pix, 22 July 2011 - 19:56.

#3 Garsted

Garsted

• 183 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 20:12

whilst Spain, and in the recent past Germany, get two !
Our French friends must really have upset the powers that be.

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 20:16

Well, it's 105 years since the original Grand Prix, 61 years since the start of the World Drivers' Championship and about 30 years since the Ecclestone/Mosley combination took it over.

Hmmmmm, I must be getting older as well! :wave:

#5 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 20:30

You know what they say, getting better! :wave:

#6 sbrinley

sbrinley

• 48 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 21:41

Well, it's 105 years since the original Grand Prix, 61 years since the start of the World Drivers' Championship and about 30 years since the Ecclestone/Mosley combination took it over.

Your age has nothing to do with it. You put your finger on the problem:"...about 30 years since the Ecclestone/Mosley combination took it over."

#7 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 23:04

I heard that there was a Grand Prix this weekend,

According to the TV listings on Sunday a German Grand Prix is to be held at the Nürburgring.
Since the Nordschleife of happy memory has been usurped by what amounts to an extended version of the Start-und-Zielschleife, der Nürburgring has become das Nürburgringlein

#8 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,125 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 23:10

It's a bit like the Paris-Dakar rally............where is that run now, again?

#9 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:21

The term "GRAND PRIX" is a joke and an insult to the real GP drivers of the past...so I don't think the French are too concerned about the current state of affairs.

#10 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 13:17

And now..
They plan to hold the Mille Miglia:
in??
Idiots... they are...

It's a bit like the Paris-Dakar rally............where is that run now, again?

#11 rallen

rallen

• 555 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:38

I have never seen a good French Grand Prix in all the time I have been watching.

I do though hate all the new tracks and countries hosting the event, awful - I only bother to watch races at the traditional circuits now and even they have been ruined. Anyone else hate all the extra tarmac they have put down for run off areas so you don't even get a feel for the track any more? Silverstone was disappointing your watching it and its just a car on a totally gray background!

#12 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:59

I have never seen a good French Grand Prix in all the time I have been watching.

I do though hate all the new tracks and countries hosting the event, awful - I only bother to watch races at the traditional circuits now and even they have been ruined. Anyone else hate all the extra tarmac they have put down for run off areas so you don't even get a feel for the track any more? Silverstone was disappointing your watching it and its just a car on a totally gray background!

I think I've made my similar views pretty clear from time to time. I thought they would only be the views of those of us old enough to remember races at the old, real circuits as personal experience (in my case Rouen, Le Mans and Solitude) and even the makeshift ones like Silverstone when it still had the layout based on the old perimeter track. I've also taken the trouble to visit and drive round several others, including both Nordschleife and Sudschleife, Spa and (less ancient but could have been) Charade. That's apart from a number of the courses used just before and after the Great War such as Lyon, Tours, Strassburg and the original 103 km. Le Mans of 1906.

Edited by Allan Lupton, 24 July 2011 - 10:05.

#13 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:33

I did notice that according to Jon Snow on the Channel 4 News, the German Grand Prix is being run at the Nuremburg circuit.

#14 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:47

I did notice that according to Jon Snow on the Channel 4 News, the German Grand Prix is being run at the Nuremburg circuit.

That'd be rather a trial.

#15 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 16:22

That'd be rather a trial.

Judge for yourself

#16 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 18:52

If he was reading an autocue written a by a n other, he was simply following orders, which, since the production gallery is overhead, came from above..........
Roger Lund

#17 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 19:09

....about 30 years since the Ecclestone/Mosley combination took it over.

Bingo! But Bernie can't last forever, so there's still a chance.

Here in the States, everything is called a "Grand Prix." I try to explain the differences to many fans, and get, "Is that like a NASCAR?" End of effort.

#18 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 20:47

If he was reading an autocue written a by a n other, he was simply following orders, which, since the production gallery is overhead, came from above..........
Roger Lund

Roger, he went one better this evening and called it the Nuremburgring

#19 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 20:55

This is turning into a Ring Cycle...

Advertisement

#20 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 22:33

Bingo! But Bernie can't last forever, so there's still a chance.

But bear in mind that Bernie is essentially an employee of CVC and as such his job is to maximize income so that not only can a dividend be paid to CVC but also that they can service their enormous debt. As such Bernie has little choice but to go where the money is. When Bernie goes, will anything change? I do not think so, because CVC, not Bernie, is the big kahuna behind it all, and whoever succeeds Bernie as the manager for CVC will have to follow the same marching orders from CVC.
Tom

#21 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 22:34

Here in the States, everything is called a "Grand Prix." I try to explain the differences to many fans, and get, "Is that like a NASCAR?" End of effort.

One cannot reason with morons.

#22 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,125 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 23:00

I'm getting older as well.... :yawnface:

When you get to 70, and still have a lot of projects to finish, getting older seems like a good idea! :clap:

#23 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 23:23

When you get to 70, and still have a lot of projects to finish, getting older seems like a good idea! :clap:

OT, sorry, but love your Bug! :) We hit 44 states before I was 10 in a '65 bus, Jetta owner now. Happy to be a Dub Guy again.

#24 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:06

WHERE??

Hi Paul,

In Le Mans. Indeed you missed it, it was on 11 and 12th of june. Thats the real French GP!
:wave:

#25 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:28

One cannot reason with morons.

When they started it was called the 'American Grand Prize'

#26 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:57

Hi,
Yes I think you have a good point here..
:clap:
Paul

Hi Paul,

In Le Mans. Indeed you missed it, it was on 11 and 12th of june. Thats the real French GP!
:wave:

#27 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 14:56

When they started it was called the 'American Grand Prize'

Nothing wrong with that. That was used pre-WWI. English version of Grand Prix. Have you heard of the Grosser Preis von Duetchland or the Gran Premio d'Italia?

#28 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 16:20

When GP racing returned to the US in 1959 one of the magazines - was it SCG? - insisted on using the term 'Grand Prize'

#29 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 18:58

When GP racing returned to the US in 1959 one of the magazines - was it SCG? - insisted on using the term 'Grand Prize'

Yes, that low point was done by Sports Cars Illustrated, which became Car and Driver. It got a huge amount of flak from the US racing enthusiasts of the day. SCI said it was just Anglicizing a French term, similar to the Grosser Preis von Deutschland and the Gran Premio di Italia. It never caught on, needless to say, and was quietly abandoned after they absorbed a lot of abuse.
Tom

#30 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 21:08

My recollection was that it was only for the US GP, because it had been called the United States Grand Prize from earliest times.
Likewise, I thought they still used, eg, 'British Grand Prix'. But I'm open to correction. It's more than 50 years since I last read it...

#31 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 21:52

We are talking about Cur and Drivel here!

#32 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 21:59

Yes, that low point was done by Sports Cars Illustrated, which became Car and Driver. It got a huge amount of flak from the US racing enthusiasts of the day. SCI said it was just Anglicizing a French term, similar to the Grosser Preis von Deutschland and the Gran Premio di Italia. It never caught on, needless to say, and was quietly abandoned after they absorbed a lot of abuse.

Tom:

Perhaps Karl Ludvigsen might comment?

Frank

#33 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 14:03

Perhaps Karl Ludvigsen might comment?

Yes, I recall now that you mention it that he was connected with them for a while way back when.
Tom