Posted Image

--
Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:25

you beauly, imagine bying that and putting it into a aprilla 250 frame, might be a bit of a handfull ! :smoking:

#3 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:10

you beauly, imagine bying that and putting it into a aprilla 250 frame, might be a bit of a handfull ! :smoking:

Hmmmm , very nice , :love: , just seems a shame to think what happened to the rest of the bike :confused: ??

Or , was this a spare motor ??

#4 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:28

Hmmmm , very nice , :love: , just seems a shame to think what happened to the rest of the bike :confused: ??

Or , was this a spare motor ??

Nice kit for my leaf blower...

#5 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:48

dont know if the italians went down the road of crushing their works bikes like the japanese did.

itd be one strong leaf blower, the biggest problem is that itll be light enough to use in such a device.

:D

#6 graham houlihan

graham houlihan

• 356 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 13:52

The Cagivas survived the crusher and I've seen a few round events here in Italy, mostly now in private hands.

Not sure that the Japanese story about crushing theirs is completely true. It used to be for some tax dodge, but it was funny how so many "crushed" Hondas suddenly reappeared when they built a museum

#7 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 14:25

Might be of interest

http://www.superbike...0325gotodie.htm

#8 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 18:15

great link, thanks

i remember rreading the story about Wilf Needham, seemed a bit strange at the time

#9 twotempi

twotempi

• 54 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:03

Wasn't there some story behind an engine that went something like this.

A Cagiva 500 GP engine was given to some childrens charity organisation ( in Italy ?? ) who later put it for sale on e-bay.
No one believed that it was genuine and it got sold quite cheaply. Is this the same engine

Comments ???

And what happened to the GP250 two-strokes works machines from Aprilia,KTM, h*nda etc now we have the Moto-mowers instead ?? Is there still a European championship for these bikes. And what is going to happen to the 125's ??

Is the current Red Bull Cup run using KTM 125 two-strokes ??

Edited by twotempi, 25 July 2011 - 01:08.

#10 tonyed

tonyed

• 981 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:52

Next years Red Bull Rookis will use KTM 125 two strokes so they should be faster than the Moto3GP lawnmowers.

Watched the CIV races from Mugello yesterday the 125s were lapping the Moto3 bikes which appeared to be about 20-30k down on top speed, including a Moriwaki. Also the best of the Moto2 bikes (with possibly better engines than the GP class) were well trounced by the SS600 machines.

'Club Racing is alive and kicking' :confused:

#11 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:54

over the last few years the 125s have been touching 150 mph :eek: with the 250s very close to 185mph, imagine what a 500 would be doing now when they were easily doing 195 plus in 2001?

it is true that when moto 2/3 are here it will be possible, especially in the moto 2 class for the road rider to have a more potent machine than the grand prix bike. you could never do that with say a road going nsr 250 against an works rsw250. thats what added to the spectactle and wonder.

now they want close racing and line astern jobs, the day has arrived where a wsb/wss is more potent and faster than a grand prix bike - how sad :cry:

#12 graham houlihan

graham houlihan

• 356 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 17:29

Wasn't there some story behind an engine that went something like this.

A Cagiva 500 GP engine was given to some childrens charity organisation ( in Italy ?? ) who later put it for sale on e-bay.
No one believed that it was genuine and it got sold quite cheaply. Is this the same engine

Comments ???

And what happened to the GP250 two-strokes works machines from Aprilia,KTM, h*nda etc now we have the Moto-mowers instead ?? Is there still a European championship for these bikes. And what is going to happen to the 125's ??

There's still a 250 championship running in Italy, but not with the CIV - national championship series. 20+ bikes at each round and mostly ex-GP Aprilias, but not sure about the works bikes. There was still a lot of 250 racing in Scandanavia up until recently but the European Championship stopped at the end of 2007 (although there was a European Cup in 2008).

The worst thing about the Moto3 bikes that I saw at the Misano CIV round was the noise. I don't dislike the MotoGP/Moto2 bikes, but the Moto3 bikes sounded rubbish and looked very slow. But Honda had their 2012 Moto3 bike on display in the paddock and that did look smart.

Posted Image

Edited by graham houlihan, 25 July 2011 - 17:39.

#13 kz71

kz71

• 49 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:51

over the last few years the 125s have been touching 150 mph :eek: with the 250s very close to 185mph, imagine what a 500 would be doing now when they were easily doing 195 plus in 2001?

it is true that when moto 2/3 are here it will be possible, especially in the moto 2 class for the road rider to have a more potent machine than the grand prix bike. you could never do that with say a road going nsr 250 against an works rsw250. thats what added to the spectactle and wonder.

now they want close racing and line astern jobs, the day has arrived where a wsb/wss is more potent and faster than a grand prix bike - how sad :cry:

Yea, but imagine if they had still switched to 1000cc but let 2 strokes in......350+ bhp with hair on its chest.
Too bad HRC had their way and we've got John Deere.

#14 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 14:14

well i am definetly going to email in the question to the 3 eurosport guys of -

the riders taking part in the red bull rookies in 2012 on the 125 2 stroke machines will be lapping circuits faster and be travelling at a higher top speed than the class they are going to be moving up to in the moto3.
would this be correct or are dorna going to limit the horsepower and weight of the 2 stroke bikes to compensate for the slower,heavier class they will be progressing to?

i am without question sure i will not get a reply so i am going to tweet it to each of them also. i know someone who contacts them with info about the riders/teams etc but he never gets a reply or a mention on tv,
but dave who bought is gixxser last month and thinks moto2 is great will always get his email read out on tv.

these guys either dont like it straight or they have been told not to communicate with people who ask questions about dornas poor decisions. :down:

we will see, so if you see this ryder/moodie and spalding, this question will be coming your way :wave:

Edited by rd500, 26 July 2011 - 14:18.

#15 dommieracer

dommieracer

• 216 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 22:09

I have an old MCN in the loft and that had an article in it when Honda UK had to crush a bunch of RC30's that had factory engines etc. Certificates of destruction also shown as proof to HRC.

Kevin

#16 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:56

I have an old MCN in the loft and that had an article in it when Honda UK had to crush a bunch of RC30's that had factory engines etc. Certificates of destruction also shown as proof to HRC.

Kevin

I remember that also, showed a pic of Neil Tuxworth witnessing the crushing of 'production' RC30s with lightweight frames wheels etc and 'blueprinted' engines that Honda didn't want falling into private hands.

#17 rotrax

rotrax

• 176 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 16:56

dont know if the italians went down the road of crushing their works bikes like the japanese did.

itd be one strong leaf blower, the biggest problem is that itll be light enough to use in such a device.

:D

Hi, I remember the works Kawasaki's being destroyed when I worked for KMUK at Slough. The reason was that they came in on a tempory import document and had to be gone from the UK by a certain date or huge duty paid. I think they were insured for theft and accidents in the workshop like fire for their real value so they had to be valued the same for customs.The mechanics would dismantle and destroy the pieces in the presence of a customs man and thus get a certificate voiding the duty. Not all the bits got wrecked though-I rescued a KR500 seat unit and fork yokes from the skip which Jim Claridge and Willy Hodge used in a GPZ750 special with a Leon Moss 100BHP engine. Jim had it as his road bike but it was more than he needed-or wanted-so I ended up with it. Had a couple of races on it-it went about the same as a GPZ900-and showed a few more up to date bikes the way round. Its easy on good kit! It was a great shame seeing all that high tech leading edge stuff being wrecked and scrapped but to the factory it was a business and once it was out of date it was of no use to them.

#18 dommieracer

dommieracer

• 216 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 00:30

I remember that also, showed a pic of Neil Tuxworth witnessing the crushing of 'production' RC30s with lightweight frames wheels etc and 'blueprinted' engines that Honda didn't want falling into private hands.

yep, that would be the same articale, bloody shame. :confused: