Photo

Required trunk/boot space in racing sportscar regs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,394 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 14:02

The FIA introduced for the 1967 season a rule that required a luggage compartment for sportscars.

The Porsche 917 had two flat boxes under the rear bodywork behind the rear wheels:
Posted Image

The Chaparral 2F had two 'trunks' underneath its headlights covered with a flap on each side of the car:
Posted Image

The even added a trunk to the 2D for the race in Daytona in'67:
Posted Image

What about the competition in the late 60s and early 70s?
Cars like Ford GT40, Lola T70 coupe, Ferrari 330 P3/4 or 512S/M should have 'luggage compartments' as well.
I looked at the drawings of those cars on the cutaway-thread and found nothing likely to be a trunk.
Did they ignore the rule and how did they get away with it?

Edited by Duc-Man, 25 July 2011 - 14:04.

Advertisement

#2 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 14:20

The Ford GT Mk II and the Ferrari P4 both had two vertical 'luggage boxes', placed either side of the gearbox, being part of the engine cover on the P4.

Paul M

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 14:21

As ever, Chaparral had to be innovative!

The Chaparral 2F had two 'trunks' underneath its headlights covered with a flap on each side of the car:
Posted Image

But they could also be traditional. (Didn't the word "trunk" derive from a real trunk being strapped to the back of the car?)

Posted Image

Edited by D-Type, 25 July 2011 - 14:26.

#4 layabout

layabout

• 176 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 14:26

The FIA introduced for the 1967 season a rule that required a luggage compartment for sportscars.

The Porsche 917 had two flat boxes under the rear bodywork behind the rear wheels:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What about the competition in the late 60s and early 70s?
Cars like Ford GT40, Lola T70 coupe, Ferrari 330 P3/4 or 512S/M should have 'luggage compartments' as well.
I looked at the drawings of those cars on the cutaway-thread and found nothing likely to be a trunk.
Did they ignore the rule and how did they get away with it?

The Fords, Ferraris & Lolas did have the obligatory luggage compartment. The compartment on the Fords (Mk 1, Mk 2 & Mk 4) was in the right rear corner of the car & the Ferrari had compartments on either side of the gearbox. I think the Lola was similar to the Ford arrangement. Here's a rather poor photo of the Ford, but it gives you the idea:
http://imageshack.us...rari161wx2.jpg/

#5 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 14:35

I think that shows a Ford Mk IIb from 1967, with the spare wheel to the left of the gearbox; I believe there was an archaic rule about removing the spare at pitstops, so Ford moved it to that position for 1967 so it could be done without opening the engine cover, and designed a similar thing in the Mk IV.

I'm sure the 1966 version of the Mk II had luggage spaces either side of the gearbox, and the spare wheel somewhere else.

edit:
http://i1-18sca.ipow...1966_engine.jpg

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 25 July 2011 - 14:37.

#6 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,394 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 14:46

As ever, Chaparral had to be innovative!

But they could also be traditional. (Didn't the word "trunk" derive from a real trunk being strapped to the back of the car?)

Let me quote Jim Hall (from Chaparral by Falconer w/ Nye):
"That damned luggage compartment - there wasn't room for it in the back of the seve litre 2D. That would really irritate the FIA people. It's got a little leatherette cover that you snap on. The guy said,'that's not a luggage compartment,' and I said,'Well define it. Why should it have to be different?' You know I love those rules..."

#7 AJB

AJB

• 242 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 21:41

I think that shows a Ford Mk IIb from 1967, with the spare wheel to the left of the gearbox; I believe there was an archaic rule about removing the spare at pitstops, so Ford moved it to that position for 1967 so it could be done without opening the engine cover, and designed a similar thing in the Mk IV.

I'm sure the 1966 version of the Mk II had luggage spaces either side of the gearbox, and the spare wheel somewhere else.

edit:
http://i1-18sca.ipow...1966_engine.jpg

Paul M

The 1966 Ford GT Mk II had an aluminium box either side of the gearbox and the spare wheel in the nose. You can see it best on the black McLaren/Amon car.

Alan

Edited by AJB, 25 July 2011 - 21:42.

#8 AJB

AJB

• 242 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 21:55

The Exoto 1/10 scale model of the McLaren/Amon car is one of the most accurate (though not without its faults). If you take a look here you'll find some nice detailed shots showing the luggage compartments and spare-wheel storage.

Alan

#9 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,394 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:43

I found a picture of the GT40 Mk.IV:
Posted Image

How about some background about that rule.
Did they actually require a certain volume for the 'trunk'?
For what car classes was that necessary?