Photo

The IRP early '60s sports car races

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 00:41

Wanted to start a post here for those of you who remember the Sports Car races at Indianapolis Raceway Park. there was a SCCA National race there along with a Formula Libre race. Also, one of the first USAC big car race on a road course. I am looking for information such as entry lists, winners of those early events and any other information you forum fans can pass along. From time to time I will post photos I have. I am thinking of adding a page on my web site for Indianapolis Raceway Park. If there is interest just let me know. I have photographs from the three events I mentioned so I am sure many of you might like to view them. Regards, and thanks for the help

Advertisement

#2 Aero426

Aero426

• 214 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 00:50

Here is an early IRP sport car event poster.

Posted Image

#3 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:46

Here is an early IRP sport car event poster.

Posted Image

thanks, that must have been the SCCA national.

#4 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:12

thanks, that must have been the SCCA national. Here is a shot of the parade lap for a pro race Augie Pabst won in the #6 Scarab. R.N. #9 is Ken Miles not sure who the others are?

Posted Image
By prairiestreetart at 2011-07-26

#5 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:33

That is a wonderful shot! I grew up a mile from Augie so knew his race history a bit, and toured his home in the mid-70s. The rear-engined Scarab was in the garage like it was just another car, only it was not of course.

It seems shocking now to have a poster for an SCCA National. I'd bet even the Runoffs hasn't had one for years. In many ways, it's a shame so many new categories have back-burnered SCCA Club races, as a kid we went to many at Road America, Lynndale Farms, Meadowdale, Blackhawk, Milwaukee Mile, Brainerd, Road Atlanta, etc. Many friends raced a IRP, we never made it. I do have a program from the '70s given by a friend.

I hope people discover this thread while it's front-page, you should get lots of info. A total guess, but for some reason that #1 car looks like Hap Sharp to me.... I was 3 weeks short of 1 then, however.

These are total guesses, only so others can correct me and/or recall accurately:
#99 Dave McDonald?
#11 Bob Holbert?
#49 Bill Wuesthoff?

Guesses from distant reference, or total BS, way before my time. RA Historian may know, and if he beats me up a little I'll be hiking for a month so won't notice.... :lol:

Best in your thread!

#6 Aero426

Aero426

• 214 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:45

The #49 would be the Kelso Autodynamics Lister Corvette. I would assume Fred Windridge is at the wheel.

Behind Augie in the second row is the #1 Maserati 450S of Jim Rathmann. Pabst is driving the recently sold off ex-Meister Brau Scarab chassis III.

Edited by Aero426, 27 July 2011 - 03:52.

#7 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:07

The #49 would be the Kelso Autodynamics Lister Corvette. I would assume Fred Windridge is at the wheel.

Behind Augie in the second row is the #1 Maserati 450S of Jim Rathmann. Pabst is driving the recently sold off ex-Meister Brau Scarab chassis III.

See, I knew my ignorance would get you the answers, GP61! :)

#8 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:37

thanks, that must have been the SCCA national.

No, the USAC "pro" race
The SCCA National was on 20 August

Edited by David McKinney, 27 July 2011 - 05:45.

#9 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:09

Re-the photo in post #4, as near as I can figure:

99 Bill Krause Lotus 19
6 Augie Pabst Scarab (winner)
9 Ken Miles Porsche
1 Lloyd Ruby Maserati
11 Bob Holbert Porsche
49 Len Sutton Lister-Chev
21 Chuck Sargent Maserati

Vince H.

#10 S A Dunbar

S A Dunbar

• 94 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:13

The photograhers certainly had a trackside location for the pace lap!

#11 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 17:04

Vince nailed it. The drivers and cars are just as he stated. Further, David is absolutely right in that this race was not an SCCA National, but rather was round one of the 1961 USAC Road Racing Division. It was run in two heats with Augie Pabst winning overall on aggregate in the Scarab entered by Harry Woodnorth. This was chassis #3 and was Pabst's ride the previous year and a half when owned by Meister Brauser. Lloyd Ruby was driving J. Frank Harrison's Maserati 450-S with a 5.7 liter engine, chassis no. 4508, formerly the Temple Buell and Jim Hall car. This was during the infamous SCCA-USAC war over professional racing, and SCCA had banned its drivers from participating. Several, such as Pabst and Holbert ignored the ban and raced, but the field certainly suffered because many stayed away.

The top 11 in heat one:

1. Lloyd Ruby, Maserati 570-S
2. Ken Miles, Porsche RS-61 Spyder
3. Augie Pabst, Scarab
4. Len Sutton, Lister-Chev
5. Chuck Sargent, Maserati T-61
6. Jo Bonnier, Porsche RS-61 Spyder
7. Rodger Ward, Porsche 550 RS Spyder
8. Jim Daywalt, Lister-Chev
9. Scooter Patrick, Porsche PAN Special
10. Herb Swan, Porsche RS-61 Spyder
11. Don Skogmo, Maserati T-61

Heat two, top nine:

1. Pabst
2. Ruby
3. Sargent
4. Miles
5. Bonnier,
6. Ward
7. Swan
8. Skogmo
9. Daywalt

Overall, scored on elapsed time:

1. Pabst
2. Ruby
3. Sargent
4. Miles
5. Bonnier
6. Ward

Tom

#12 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 17:11

There was one SCCA National held at IRP, and that was Aug 20, 1961. Overall, the feature race of 62.5 miles was:

1. Walt Hansgen, Maserati T-61
2. Roger Penske, Cooper Monaco T-57
4. Bob Holbert, Porsche RS-61 Spyder
4. Augie Pabst, Maserati T-60
5. Bill Wuesthoff, Porsche RS-60 Spyder
6. Bud Gates, Lister-Chev

Class winners:
BM-Gates
CM-Ruth, unknown Special
DM-Hansgen
EM-Holbert
FM-Ed Hauserman, Porsche
GM-Chuck Kurtz, Lola Mk I
HM-Ollie Schmidt, Lola-Osca

BP-Dick Thompson, Corvette
CP-Pierre Mion, Ace-Bristol
DP-Bill Romig, Porsche 356
EP-Ernie Harris, Elva Courier
FP-Tom Peacock, Porsche 356
GP-Lynn Blanchard, Alfa Romeo Giulietta
HP-Larrie Isenring, Abarth

FJ-Walt Hansgen, Cooper T-56

Tom

#13 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 17:20

July 29, 1962, saw a USAC Road Racing Division championship race held, the second of the year out of five races for USAC's RRD. It was a Formula Libre event, again run in two heats, scored on aggregate for the purposes of determining an overall winner.

Heat One:

1. Roger Penske, Cooper T-53
2. Dan Gurney, Lotus 18
3. Jim Hall, Lotus 21
5. Rodger Ward, Leader Card KK midget
6. Herb Swan, Porsche RS-60 Spyder
7. Don Hulette, Maserati 250-F

Heat Two:

1. Hap Sharp, Cooper T-53
2. Jim Hall
3. Rodger Ward
4. Herb Swan
5. Harry Washburn, Porsche RS-60 Spyder
6. Don Hulette
7. Dave Causey, Elva Mk VI

Overall:

1. Jim Hall
2. Rodger Ward
3. Herb Swan
4. Hap Sharp
5. Don Hulette
6. Harry Washburn
7. Dave Causey
8. Lloyd Barton, Jaguar XK-SS

Don't know how they scored the aggregate. Yes, it looks strange to me also. Elapsed time?
Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 29 July 2011 - 14:28.

#14 lanciaman

lanciaman

• 558 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 18:59

They look like they are running in a reverse direction (as some of the early USAC stock cars races did) from what became convention later on. The turn appears to be 11, running counterclockwise overall. By my first race there in 1969, direction was normalized.

#15 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 20:35

Tom - I believe that in 1961 at least, round one of the USAC championship was at IRP on the Saturday and round 2 at the same venue on the Sunday. Don't recall my source, but I do remember changing my records from 'two heats' to 'two rounds'

#16 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 20:41

I respectfully have to disagree, David. One round, two heats. The two heats may be where the confusion arises. When I was researching my article on the USAC Road Racing Division, which appeared in two parts late last year in Vintage Racecar magazine, I consulted a number of sources, including USAC itself. In all cases, it was a two heat race, round one in a four round season, the other three rounds being at Continental Divide, Riverside, and Laguna Seca. All but Riverside were two heat races, and the USAC scoring of the time awarded points for each heat. So while there were four events, three with winners on aggregate, in the USAC records a driver contesting all four races and finishing in the top 12 of each heat would have been shown as scoring points in seven separate races. As I said, confusing!
Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 29 July 2011 - 14:29.

#17 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 20:46

I concede :cool:

#18 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 23:17

I have to agree with David's original assessment and not with Tom's "two-heat" approach. The 1961 USAC Yearbook clearly states that the Road Racing Championship consisted of seven races [rounds], although held in only four locations. Points were awarded based on the individual races [rounds], even if IRP, CDR an Laguna Seca hosted two of them on the same day.

So each of the seven races [rounds] dictated the Championship points. The only reason why the overall finish [based on lapsed time of two combined rounds results in three cases ] was important: the prize money was based on the overall results of the combined races [rounds], but it had nothing to do with the Championship chase.

In spite of losing overall to Pabst by a few seconds based on combined lapsed times, Ruby earned more Championship points at IRP with a first and second place than Pabst with a first and third place finish. Ruby just lost out on the winner's purse.

Ruby earned 360 points with his first and second place finish at IRP, while Pabst earned only 340 points with his first and third place finish there .

Yet, purse wise Pabst came out better, with $2,200 for his combined first overall, against Ruby's $1,250 for his combined second overall, a few seconds short due to his crew's misunderstanding how the overall position was to be calculated..

all research: Willem Oosthoek

Edited by Jerry Entin, 28 July 2011 - 00:50.

#19 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:02

That is true, but there still were only four events. All the mags of the day covered them each as one race scored on aggregate. Thus the IRP round was won by Pabst, Continental Divide by Miles, and Laguna Seca by Moss. They were all one race run in two heats. True, according to USAC's points system they had separate points, but the weekend's race event was scored on aggregate. When I researched my article, including contact with the USAC office, I never saw anything other than what I described. At IRP Pabst and Ruby each won a heat and won the allotted points for each, but in all records Pabst was the overall race winner. I stand by that.

Tom

Advertisement

#20 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:06

There was one SCCA National held at IRP, and that was Aug 20, 1961. Overall, the feature race of 62.5 miles was:

1. Walt Hansgen, Maserati T-61
2. Roger Penske, Cooper Monaco T-57
4. Augie Pabst, Maserati T-60
5. Bill Wuesthoff, Porsche RS-60 Spyder
6. Bud Gates, Lister-Chev

Class winners:
BM-Gates
CM-Ruth, unknown Special
DM-Hansgen
EM-Holbert
FM-Ed Hauserman, Porsche
GM-Chuck Kurtz, Lola Mk I
HM-Ollie Schmidt, Lola-Osca

BP-Dick Thompson, Corvette
CP-Pierre Mion, Ace-Bristol
DP-Bill Romig, Porsche 356
EP-Ernie Harris, Elva Courier
FP-Tom Peacock, Porsche 356
GP-Lynn Blanchard, Alfa Romeo Giulietta
HP-Larrie Isenring, Abarth

FJ-Walt Hansgen, Cooper T-56

Tom

Tom: you sure got this all. Didn't get to see the article you wrote. I am looking for more negs on the races I covered. Do you have any info on Innes Ireland running in one of the Formula Libre events? here is Walt in the Maserati. thanks, and to the other contributors also. Ron
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#21 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:43

Vince nailed it. The drivers and cars are just as he stated. Further, David is absolutely right in that this race was not an SCCA National, but rather was round one of the 1961 USAC Road Racing Division. It was run in two heats with Augie Pabst winning overall on aggregate in the Scarab entered by Harry Woodnorth. This was chassis #3 and was Pabst's ride the previous year and a half when owned by Meister Brauser. Lloyd Ruby was driving J. Frank Harrison's Maserati 450-S with a 5.7 liter engine, chassis no. 4508, formerly the Temple Buell and Jim Hall car. This was during the infamous SCCA-USAC war over professional racing, and SCCA had banned its drivers from participating. Several, such as Pabst and Holbert ignored the ban and raced, but the field certainly suffered because many stayed away.

The top 11 in heat one:

1. Lloyd Ruby, Maserati 570-S
2. Ken Miles, Porsche RS-61 Spyder
3. Augie Pabst, Scarab
4. Len Sutton, Lister-Chev
5. Chuck Sargent, Maserati T-61
6. Jo Bonnier, Porsche RS-61 Spyder
7. Rodger Ward, Porsche 550 RS Spyder
8. Jim Daywalt, Lister-Chev
9. Scooter Patrick, Porsche PAN Special
10. Herb Swan, Porsche RS-61 Spyder
11. Don Skogmo, Maserati T-61

Heat two, top nine:

1. Pabst
2. Ruby
3. Sargent
4. Miles
5. Bonnier,
6. Ward
7. Swan
8. Skogmo
9. Daywalt

Overall, scored on elapsed time:

1. Pabst
2. Ruby
3. Sargent
4. Miles
5. Bonnier
6. Ward

Tom

greatly appreciate the entry and how they finished. Here is another shot of the pace lap a little further back. Not sure who is in some of these cars. I know #11 is Holbert, #9 Ken Miles and Bonnier in #33. Ron
Posted Image

#22 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:39

Perhaps I should withdraw my "I concede" comment

Following Jerry's post on Willem's behalf, and a private email from a respected historian who doesn't post on TNF, I go back to the belief that there were two separate races at IRP

#23 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:32

Re - the photo in post #21, how about this?

#9, #49, and #11 have been identified
#33 Jo Bonnier Porsche
#72 Scooter Patrick Porsche PAM Special
#98 Chuck Baldwin Ol' Yaller
#26 Rodger Ward Porsche
#31 Don Skogmo Maserati
#73 don't know (Jimmy Daywalt in Bud Gates' Lister?)

As for "heats" vs. "races", both the Competition Press and Motoracing reports refer to "heat one", "heat two", and "overall" for the event. From Motoracing:

"...Misunderstanding of the rules cost Ruby, driving Frank Harrison's 5.7 Maserati, the race. After the first heat, in which Ken Miles (Porsche) and Pabst finished 2-3, he slacked off on the theory that a first and second would beat Pabst's first and third. But the award was on a total time basis, and Pabst won by 7.3 seconds..."

Vince H.

#24 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:34

It seems to me that you're all saying the same thing. The race organisers saw the event as one two-heat event, with trophies and prize money awarded for the aggregate result. USAC regarded the event as two separate rounds of their championship, and awarded points accordingly. It's quite common, especially at 'grass roots' levels, for the administrators of championships to rejig event results to fit in with the way they wish to award points in their championship.

#25 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 13:26

Perhaps I should withdraw my "I concede" comment

Following Jerry's post on Willem's behalf, and a private email from a respected historian who doesn't post on TNF, I go back to the belief that there were two separate races at IRP

I respectfully disagree. There were two heats, each giving points, but one race, with the two heats scored on aggregate based on elapsed time. You may call each heat a race, which technically is correct, but the overall event, the combination of the two heats, made up the Hoosier GP, as it was called, and it was and is one overall winner for the combined heats.

As for "heats" vs. "races", both the Competition Press and Motoracing reports refer to "heat one", "heat two", and "overall" for the event. From Motoracing:

"...Misunderstanding of the rules cost Ruby, driving Frank Harrison's 5.7 Maserati, the race. After the first heat, in which Ken Miles (Porsche) and Pabst finished 2-3, he slacked off on the theory that a first and second would beat Pabst's first and third. But the award was on a total time basis, and Pabst won by 7.3 seconds..."

Vince H.

I agree with Vince. Contemporary reports all referred to the event as being one race made up of two heats.

It seems to me that you're all saying the same thing. The race organisers saw the event as one two-heat event, with trophies and prize money awarded for the aggregate result. USAC regarded the event as two separate rounds of their championship, and awarded points accordingly. It's quite common, especially at 'grass roots' levels, for the administrators of championships to rejig event results to fit in with the way they wish to award points in their championship.

I also agree with Tim. One race, two heats, one overall winner, one winner's trophy, two sets of point.

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 28 July 2011 - 15:44.

#26 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 13:48

In all reports of the period the #73 car at IRP is described as Jimmy Daywalt in Bud Gates' Lister/Chevy. This is the first photo I see that indicates Daywalt actually raced the SHE/Chevy Special that day, not the Lister. Note the left-hand steering.

SHE was a home built car. The men behind the project were J. Silnas, H. Hudler and Jack Ensley. The engine work was done by Frank McGurk. Built in Indianapolis in 1959, SHE had an aluminum body, Dunlop wheels with knock-offs, four-wheel discs and solid axles. The Chevy had Hilborn fuel injection.

Grand Prix 61: Thank you for posting your great photos.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 28 July 2011 - 13:52.

#27 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 14:15

An unusual front end on the Rodger Ward Porsche no26. What is the story there, please? was it a serious body mod, or just some sort of repair effort?

If the SHE was Indy-built was it on some variation of a Roadster chassis?

Roger Lund

#28 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 14:45

Roger:

Rodger Ward's Porsche was entered by Bob Wilke of Leader Card. I think Wilke only owned a 550RS, so it looks as though the nose has been modified.

As for the SHE, its design must at least have been influenced by the Indy roadsters. It featured Kurtis-type torsion bars.

#29 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 15:19

Jerry, Willem, many thanks
RL

#30 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 15:41

Back to the heats vs races debate. When I was researching my article I contacted USAC. They replied by photocopying and mailing to me all the pages from their record book regarding the Road Racing Division. On page 71, the 1961 season, they say:

"August Pabst and Lloyd Ruby each won a heat in the first event at Indianapolis Raceway Park, but Pabst was the overall winner by a few seconds in one of the most hotly contested road races ever run in this country".

Bold emphasis mine. So, USAC itself lists these events as being two heats, but with one overall winner, regardless of the fact that points were awarded for each heat.

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 28 July 2011 - 15:43.

#31 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 16:31

Why does the poster have a picture of Graham Hill in a F1 BRM when the races were for sports cars?

#32 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 23:57

None of us ever claimed there wasn't an overall winner in the 1961 USAC race at IRP and of course it was Augie. Same case with CDR [Holbert] and Laguna Seca [Moss]. You have to give someone the trophy and the better part of the prize money. We don't have to write USAC for that piece of information since it is common knowledge.

But here is Page 72 of the 1961 USAC Yearbook and it becomes abundantly clear that overall finishes based on aggregate in USAC events with two heats/rounds had absolutely NOTHING to do with the pursuit of the Road Racing Championship. It just was not recognized and as a result [apart from the money] totally irrelevant. But then I have said that a number of times already.

Posted Image

Edited by Jerry Entin, 29 July 2011 - 00:05.

#33 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:47

In all reports of the period the #73 car at IRP is described as Jimmy Daywalt in Bud Gates' Lister/Chevy. This is the first photo I see that indicates Daywalt actually raced the SHE/Chevy Special that day, not the Lister. Note the left-hand steering.

SHE was a home built car. The men behind the project were J. Silnas, H. Hudler and Jack Ensley. The engine work was done by Frank McGurk. Built in Indianapolis in 1959, SHE had an aluminum body, Dunlop wheels with knock-offs, four-wheel discs and solid axles. The Chevy had Hilborn fuel injection.

Thank you Willem: I have somethings from the USAC road race there when they were just starting to try a road course. Wish they would have gone to Road America at that time. Here is a shot of A.J. Foyt and Joe Leonard. When I have the new page on my web site I will let you all know so you can see what was going on at IRP in the 60's. Regards, Ron Nelson
Posted Image

#34 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 14:27

None of us ever claimed there wasn't an overall winner in the 1961 USAC race

Then why are we squabbling over this if we are on the same page? My position all along is that there was one race, run in two heats. I have recognized from the start that USAC gave points on the individual heats.

The recent Indy Car double header at Texas Speedway was treated as two completely separate races, for comparison. But the old USAC multi heat sports car races were always treated as one race, scored on aggregate only for the purposes of determining an overall winner.

This dispute arose over a contention that two races were run at IRP that day. I maintained from the beginning that it was just one race, with one overall winner, run in two heats. The heats were treated as heats, not separate races. Points were given for the heats, not aggregated. But, aside from the point distribution, there was one race. Semantics perhaps, but that is the way I look at it.

Let's look at the next year's IRP round of the USAC Road Racing Division. In 1962 one heat was won by Roger Penske and the other by Hap Sharp. But neither Sharp nor Penske was ever recognized as a race 'winner'. That was Jim Hall, who had a second and a third add up to an overall first. Hall got the headlines, the trophy, the race queen's kiss, and so forth, neither Penske nor Sharp.

I hope all can see where I am coming from, and that there is more fire and smoke here than is necessary.

Edited by RA Historian, 29 July 2011 - 14:33.

#35 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 14:37

I have somethings from the USAC road race there when they were just starting to try a road course. Wish they would have gone to Road America at that time.

They did, in 1960, but USAC never came back. The early rumblings over the winter of the USAC-SCCA war made Clif Tufte of Road America leery about scheduling a round in 1961. As it turned out, he was quite right, as the IRP and CDR rounds of the 1961 USAC championship were box office disasters due to the open warfare, driver bans, etc. of that year.
Tom

#36 Cynic2

Cynic2

• 402 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 15:32

Jerry,

If others are interested in the SHE/Chevy, the car was the subject of a heavily-illustrated story in the March 1960 issue of "Hot Rod" magazine. The tube frame was similar to Indy roadster practice, as Ensley had been an entrant for the 500 and attempted to qualify a Kurtis roadster himself as well as owning and racing one of the first Kurtis 500S sports cars. The driveline was offset slightly to the right to balance the weight of the driver, also Indy roadster practice. Joe Silnes (his name is misspelled in the story) was a well-known craftsman at fabricating all sorts of race car bodies, and was widely considered one of the very best. I am not familiar with Hudler -- possibly he built the chassis. The Dunlop wheels were from a D-Jaguar; as Ensley had been the Midwest distributor for Jaguar, and had raced two different D-types, probably these were from his parts bin.

GrandPrix61, I'm also glad you posted these fantastic photos. This was the last race I attended prior to leaving for military duty, and you've brought back a flood of memories.

David Seibert

Edited by Cynic2, 29 July 2011 - 15:46.

#37 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 15:39

Could somebody please refresh my memory about the USAC/SCCA disagreement? I have a vague idea but don't know the details

I get totally lost among all the US race-organising and sanctioning bodies and their evolution over time. :confused:

Edited by D-Type, 29 July 2011 - 15:39.

#38 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 15:59

They did, in 1960, but USAC never came back. The early rumblings over the winter of the USAC-SCCA war made Clif Tufte of Road America leery about scheduling a round in 1961. As it turned out, he was quite right, as the IRP and CDR rounds of the 1961 USAC championship were box office disasters due to the open warfare, driver bans, etc. of that year.
Tom

Tom: I remember that race and was there. I have some of the photos on my web site. Any info on Innes Ireland running at IRP. I know he was there once. I don't have any shots of him there that I have been able to find. As I recall, I got there very late and was under a tree on the course and he pulled up with a mechanical failure. I don't think I was there in time to even shoot practice. At that time I would send film to Competition Press on the west coast and they would return the negs to me. I don't think they did that so who knows where they are today. Ron

#39 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 16:39

Then why are we squabbling over this if we are on the same page? My position all along is that there was one race, run in two heats. I have recognized from the start that USAC gave points on the individual heats.

The recent Indy Car double header at Texas Speedway was treated as two completely separate races, for comparison. But the old USAC multi heat sports car races were always treated as one race, scored on aggregate only for the purposes of determining an overall winner.

This dispute arose over a contention that two races were run at IRP that day. I maintained from the beginning that it was just one race, with one overall winner, run in two heats. The heats were treated as heats, not separate races. Points were given for the heats, not aggregated. But, aside from the point distribution, there was one race. Semantics perhaps, but that is the way I look at it.

Let's look at the next year's IRP round of the USAC Road Racing Division. In 1962 one heat was won by Roger Penske and the other by Hap Sharp. But neither Sharp nor Penske was ever recognized as a race 'winner'. That was Jim Hall, who had a second and a third add up to an overall first. Hall got the headlines, the trophy, the race queen's kiss, and so forth, neither Penske nor Sharp.

I hope all can see where I am coming from, and that there is more fire and smoke here than is necessary.

I do admire your persistence, Tom, and I'm sure we can all see where you're coming from

However, let me ask the following: when and where was Round One of the 1961 USAC Road racing Championship held? And when and where was Round Two?

Advertisement

#40 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 16:50

grandprix 61:
Innes Ireland took part in the Hoosier Grand Prix at IRP on July 29, 1962. He ran a light colored Lotus 21/Climax [British Racing Partnership?] and retired due to overheating/valve trouble [take your pick, both were mentioned as the cause] on lap 9 of the first round/heat. He pushed it for half a lap back to the pits.

#41 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 17:21

Jerry,
If others are interested in the SHE/Chevy, the car was the subject of a heavily-illustrated story in the March 1960 issue of "Hot Rod" magazine. David Seibert

At the risk of appearing ungracious, if anyone has a copy of that SHE/Chev story in Hot Rod mag I would welcome a scanned copy for the files over here. PM for e mail address. Your generosity in the past has not been forgotten, David.
many thanks
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 29 July 2011 - 18:54.

#42 Cynic2

Cynic2

• 402 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 18:25

At the risk of appearing ungracious, if anyone has a copy of that SHE/Chev story in Hot Rod mag I would welcome a scanned copy for the files over her. PM for e mail address. Your generosity in the past has not been forgotten, David.
many thanks
Roger Lund

Roger,

I'll get to it a bit later -- see your PMs.

David

#43 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 18:34

However, let me ask the following: when and where was Round One of the 1961 USAC Road racing Championship held? And when and where was Round Two?

1961 saw four rounds of the USAC Road Racing Division.

Round one: a two heat affair at IRP. Won overall by Augie Pabst, Scarab

Round two: a two heat affair at Continental Divide Raceway. Won overall by Ken Miles, Porsche RS-61

Round three: the Riverside Times GP, no heats, just a 200 mile dash. Won by Jack Brabham, Cooper Monaco T-57

Round four: a two heat affair at Laguna Seca. Won overall by Stirling Moss, Lotus 19

Tom

#44 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 18:37

grandprix 61:
Innes Ireland took part in the Hoosier Grand Prix at IRP on July 29, 1962. He ran a light colored Lotus 21/Climax [British Racing Partnership?] and retired due to overheating/valve trouble [take your pick, both were mentioned as the cause] on lap 9 of the first round/heat. He pushed it for half a lap back to the pits.

Williem: thanks for the info. You don't happen to have a car number do you? Interesting side to meeting him under that tree. My wife came along and we drove down from Chicago in our 1960 VW. She was expecting our first child and the ride down in the heat was tough. Part of the reason I didn't get a lot of extra shooting in that day. My wife and I made it out to the track area and camped out under a tree for shade. I was just going to move around to get some work done when Innes came to a halt right along side the fence next to our shade tree. Before he pushed the car back he came over the fence and was not to complimentary about the car. We gave him something cold to drink and he started chatting up a storm. Talked with my wife more than me as I recall. Then, I thought he got some help with the car but really don't remember. All my wife and I told our friends later was what a nice guy Innes was. Just a little side note. Regards, Ron

#45 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 18:46

Could somebody please refresh my memory about the USAC/SCCA disagreement? I have a vague idea but don't know the details

Oh boy, it is a long story. Briefly, USAC entered road racing, long the preserve of the SCCA, in 1958. By 1960 they were making noises about taking over road racing. SCCA, fearing that its long held near monopoly was in danger, responded in 1961 by 'black listing' all USAC events save Riverside and Laguna Seca, plus the Mosport Players 200. The USAC races at IRP and Continental Divide, the first two of 1961, had their entries depleted drastically as most SCCA drivers stayed away under fear of suspension. Other promoters of prospective USAC rounds that year promptly backed away, with the result being that only four USAC races were held in 1961. A number of SCCA drivers defied the ban and raced in one or more of the banned races. This resulted in SCCA suspending their licenses. The FIA now got involved and banned all SCCA drivers from international competition. The Milwaukee Region, SCCA, stirred the pot more by inviting all banned drivers to its mid-July SCCA National at Meadowdale, where they raced as 'invited guests', but did not get any points. SCCA threatened Milwaukee Region with all manner of vile consequences. By this time chaos reigned, and nobody knew what the dickens was going on. It was an untenable situation, and in late July the SCCA Board of Directors and other interested parties met at the Drake Hotel in Chicago for a raucous and bitterly divided meeting. Somehow or other, common sense prevailed, and the SCCA backed off by lifting all bans and suspensions. They went a step further, by for the first time openly allowing SCCA drivers to accept prize money. Further, they announced a new pro series, the United States Road Racing Championship, starting in 1963 and sanctioned by SCCA, of all people.

It was one of those situations where the bystander stood there, swiveling his head from left to right as the action took place fast and furious. Not the proudest moment for SCCA, but it did serve to bring SCCA into the then modern times of 1961, ending their rather elitist, good old boy, strictly amateur status.

Tom

#46 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 18:09

Oh boy, it is a long story. Briefly, USAC entered road racing, long the preserve of the SCCA, in 1958. By 1960 they were making noises about taking over road racing. SCCA, fearing that its long held near monopoly was in danger, responded in 1961 by 'black listing' all USAC events save Riverside and Laguna Seca, plus the Mosport Players 200. The USAC races at IRP and Continental Divide, the first two of 1961, had their entries depleted drastically as most SCCA drivers stayed away under fear of suspension. Other promoters of prospective USAC rounds that year promptly backed away, with the result being that only four USAC races were held in 1961. A number of SCCA drivers defied the ban and raced in one or more of the banned races. This resulted in SCCA suspending their licenses. The FIA now got involved and banned all SCCA drivers from international competition. The Milwaukee Region, SCCA, stirred the pot more by inviting all banned drivers to its mid-July SCCA National at Meadowdale, where they raced as 'invited guests', but did not get any points. SCCA threatened Milwaukee Region with all manner of vile consequences. By this time chaos reigned, and nobody knew what the dickens was going on. It was an untenable situation, and in late July the SCCA Board of Directors and other interested parties met at the Drake Hotel in Chicago for a raucous and bitterly divided meeting. Somehow or other, common sense prevailed, and the SCCA backed off by lifting all bans and suspensions. They went a step further, by for the first time openly allowing SCCA drivers to accept prize money. Further, they announced a new pro series, the United States Road Racing Championship, starting in 1963 and sanctioned by SCCA, of all people.

It was one of those situations where the bystander stood there, swiveling his head from left to right as the action took place fast and furious. Not the proudest moment for SCCA, but it did serve to bring SCCA into the then modern times of 1961, ending their rather elitist, good old boy, strictly amateur status.

Tom

BOY, do I remember those days. I was the editor of Piston Patter that year(Chicago Region Newsletter) and got in big trouble siding with the crowd that wanted to go Pro. I got a couple of phone calls telling me to cool it. Anyway, what year did USAC have their road race for the INDY cars? Photo attached of going to the green flag. RON p.s. Mario on the pole and I think that is Ruby next to him.
Posted Image

#47 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 18:25

. Anyway, what year did USAC have their road race for the INDY cars?

USAC ran a round of its Indy Car championship at IRP in the years 1965 through 1970.
Tom

#48 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 19:45

Ron,

Innes' Lotus 21 carried race number 11 at IRP in 1962. There is a picture of him pushing the car in the November 1962 issue of Auto Sports, the magazine founded by Larry Tomaras.

#49 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:06

Ron,

Innes' Lotus 21 carried race number 11 at IRP in 1962. There is a picture of him pushing the car in the November 1962 issue of Auto Sports, the magazine founded by Larry Tomaras.

Thanks Jerry: I have just added a page to my web site called IRP IN THE 60's at www.classicvintagemotoresports.com Here is a shot of Jo Bonnier driving the Frank Rand RS-61
Posted Image

#50 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,346 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:50

Mario on the pole and I think that is Ruby next to him.
Posted Image

Really enjoying your great photos Ron, thanks.

This is the July 24, 1966 race in which it is actually Lloyd Ruby on pole with Mario starting second. It was the first time in the 1966 IndyCar season that Mario wasn't on pole. Gordon Johncock is in the fourth starting position. Mario was the winner, Ruby spun off on lap 43 of 80, Johncock would finish fifth. According to Wallen's book, Mario spun off on the first lap, went to the pits and went down nearly two laps before making a charge to the front. That must have been a heck of a drive to see.