Photo

Anyone have the book titled 'The 12 Hours of Sebring 1970' by Harry Hurst?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:11

I'm trying to find a good photo of the shutoff switch(es) used on the factory Ferrari 512S's at Sebring in 1970 (not how they are currently look on the restored cars). I thought that this book might have something, or if you have any other resources I'd appreciate your help (I've been searching Google without success so far).

This forum has always been a great asset to finding obscure information on race cars.

Thanks.

Edited by Cam2InfoNeeded, 27 July 2011 - 10:12.

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:17

Harry posts here as 'harryglorydays' so you could try a PM:

http://forums.autosp...?showuser=14888

#3 PS30-SB

PS30-SB

• 219 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:36

Not from Sebring, but would Fuji Speedway in Sept. '70 be of help?

'Scuderia Picchio Rosso' 512S at the 'Fuji International Golden Race', as reported by Auto Sport magazine ( Japan ) in their October 1970 issue, Volume No. 66:

Posted Image

Photo credit AUTO SPORT Magazine, Japan.

Edited by PS30-SB, 27 July 2011 - 11:05.

#4 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 19:01

I'm trying to find a good photo of the shutoff switch(es) used on the factory Ferrari 512S's at Sebring in 1970 (not how they are currently look on the restored cars). I thought that this book might have something, or if you have any other resources I'd appreciate your help (I've been searching Google without success so far).

On page 61, the book has a color shot of the interior of a Ferrari 512S Spyder with Jacky Ickx. It clearly shows a vertical row of colorful switches which is not seen in the photo posted by PS30-SB. I think that the photo from Fuji cuts off the switch box that seems to be on the far left-hand side of the cockpit in the Hurst shot.

I also have a line drawing of the dashboard in my copy of the ultra-rare title "Ferrari 512 V-12 Competiton Cars" by Manfred Lampe. This drawing shows no switchbox.

Let me know by PM if you want scans.

#5 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 21:07

Thanks so far. What I'm trying to find a good photo of is the emergency shutoff switch(es) which were outside the cockpit, on the passenger side of the car around the windscreen.

Thanks.

PS

I emailed Mr. Hurst and hopefully he will be able to help me.

#6 PS30-SB

PS30-SB

• 219 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 21:45

Same car, same time, same place:

Posted Image

That's all I can come up with interior wise...

Photo credit: AUTO SPORT Magazine Japan

#7 PS30-SB

PS30-SB

• 219 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 21:52

.......which were outside the cockpit, on the passenger side of the car around the windscreen.

There are ( of course ) pics of the outside of the same car in the AUTO SPORT Japan article, but nothing in close enough detail. I can see the sticker, and I think I can make out something that looks like a pull-ring. Does that sound right?

#8 PS30-SB

PS30-SB

• 219 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 22:06

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All photos credit AUTO SPORT Magazine, Japan. October 1970 issue. Vol.66.

#9 millau

millau

• 37 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:10

This forum has always been a great asset to finding obscure information on race cars.

Thanks.

I have this book and will look in more detail later for you
M :)

#10 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 17:57

PS30-SB,

Those are the things I'm looking for. THANKS. Sometimes living in the US, we can think we have a good access to vintage photos and reference on things, but there is SO much out there from the European and Japanese publications that just blows my mind. That is why this is such a GREAT site because of the diversity and passion of members from all over the world. After spending quite a while searching for this info online, it only took a few hours to have people here on this forum come up with info I couldn't find anywhere.

I noticed in your photos that there appears to be only one "device" (the round pull handle sticking up vertically), yet there are both the "E" symbol and the "Lightning Bolt" emergency shut-off decals on this area of the car. I wonder if there are indeed 2 switches/handles these somewhere (one not clearly visible in these photos), or could both functions be activated by the one shut-off switch. I feel really embarrassed to ask this after 40+ years of following car racing, but the "E" symbol is for the fire extinguisher deployment, and the 'Lightning Bot" is for killing the electrical system, correct?

Thanks for posting the interior electrical system photos as well. Since this area of the model is very hard to see, I didn't make any changes there.

Edited by Cam2InfoNeeded, 28 July 2011 - 17:59.

#11 ggnagy

ggnagy

• 261 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:51

In the 1970 Sebring book, There are several shots of a similar pull ring, looks to be about an inch inside and an inch or two back, from the intersection of the front fender, the hinged sidepod, and the windshield surround, on the windshield side. The "e" sticker is up on the windshield, with the electrical cutoff marker in about the same spot as the picture above. I thought that the "e" sticker was to designate the car as extinguisher system equipped, and not specifically mark the release pull, but whadda I know.

Edited by ggnagy, 31 July 2011 - 03:52.

#12 harmkruithof

harmkruithof

• 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:51

Thanks.

Have you tried Ian Bamsey's Ferrari 312 and 512 Sports Racing Cars?

#13 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 22:31

No, I do not have this book or know of anynoe who does. It sounds like an excellent possibility. If there is anyone who has it, and there should be any helpful photos, I only plan of using any reference info for my model only.

Thanks.

Edited by Cam2InfoNeeded, 31 July 2011 - 22:32.

#14 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 17:38

No, I do not have this book or know of anynoe who does. It sounds like an excellent possibility. If there is anyone who has it, and there should be any helpful photos, I only plan of using any reference info for my model only.

Thanks.

Posted Image
This may or may not be the precise detail you want, (I believe this is Sebring 1970, the captions are all printed on a seperate page, it is difficult to tell) but here is an example of the type of thing contained within the Bamsey book, Ferrari 312 & 512 Sports Racing Cars: The Porsche Hunters.

#15 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 17:55

Werks,

Thanks, from the look of the air-scoop, it was either Daytona, or possibly Sebring. At Sebring, 3 of the 4 512S's were open cars, and the other a closed coupe with that sort of scoop. I'll dig through what I've found so far and see if if any of the roadsters(like my model) have a switch in this location. BTW, that photo expands to a really nice large size when opened and magnified. Thanks!

Edited by Cam2InfoNeeded, 03 August 2011 - 17:57.

#16 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 18:12

Very good! :up:

For your information, just a quick glance reveals that the book also contains detailed photos of the front end of the works 512S undergoing prep for Daytona. The first appearence of the 'air dam' nose at Sebring and about 37 A4 size pages dedicated to the 1970 season and the development of the cars.

#17 harmkruithof

harmkruithof

• 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 19:58

Very good! :up:

For your information, just a quick glance reveals that the book also contains detailed photos of the front end of the works 512S undergoing prep for Daytona. The first appearence of the 'air dam' nose at Sebring and about 37 A4 size pages dedicated to the 1970 season and the development of the cars.

If you type in Google: Ian Bamsey - the Porsche hunters you get a lot of hits. The book is available in Holland (asnbooks), France the US, Great Britain probably as well. Prices are around 70 euros.

Harm

#18 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 15:37

If you type in Google: Ian Bamsey - the Porsche hunters you get a lot of hits. The book is available in Holland (asnbooks), France the US, Great Britain probably as well. Prices are around 70 euros.

Harm

:up: It may well be the book he is looking for.

#19 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:06

Thanks everyone so far on all of your help. I went with what you provided, and have my model pretty much finished. I need to come up with a small triangular decal with the lightning bolt through, and barring no additional details to be changed, here is what I ended up with (I 'm still hoping to here back from Harry Hurst). The Mattel 1/18 base model was pretty good, but definitely displaying toyish features and details I simply cannot live with. Here are couple of photos of the completed model, and if you want to see all of the posted photos and my comments regarding the modifying process, here is the direct link to it. http://www.scale18.c...u...&num=393369

Once again, the help from this forum has made tremendous contributions to a special request.

Thanks and best regards,

doug switz

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisement

#20 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:00

I wanted to thank everyone again for your assistance (and Mr. Hurst as well). Except for the one triangular shaped emergency shutoff decal (in the works), I think I'm about done with this model. After some pondering, and suggestions from a few other modelers, I went ahead and added the other 3 blank roundels on my car. I didn't take any "before" photos of this model, but shot a few more photos today as close as I could in perspective to the best images of the stock model off of the Internet. Hopefully,y they will give you a good comparison between what I started with, and what I ended up with.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image