Chic Vandagriff RIP

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 23:48

Posted Image
Chic Vandagriff and his driver Ronnie Bucknum and the Hollywood Sportscar Healey in the day.

I am sad to report that Chic Vandagriff passed away this morning. He was the father of Cris and Julie Vandagriff. He was very instrumental in bringing Vintage Racing to California.
He also owned Hollywood Sportscars in the day. A Great guy who will be missed. He gave many drivers a chance at racing.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 29 July 2011 - 01:50.

Advertisement

#2 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:50

I recall him being involved in race preparing Austin Healeys and MGs for articles that appeared in Sports Cars Illustrated and possibly other mags. One of the leading guys in sports car racing in California in the late fifties/early sixties. Sorry to hear of his passing.

#3 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:15

Posted Image
Chic Vandagriff and Doane Spencer helping Chris Amon in the CanAm Series

#4 S&M Minis

S&M Minis

• 102 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:33

Sad news indeed. I was too far east to see the Hollywood Sports Car entries run an event, but enjoyed reading about them. The cover caption for this well-read issue of SCG states that Chick (sic) in in the Healey along with Ronnie Bucknum in the B and Jerry Titus in the Alpine. Beautiful work there.

Posted Image

#5 OCTARD

OCTARD

• 22 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:12

Chic's efforts made so many venues and organizations like the Cal Club, the early Can-Am, and Stardust Raceway, better. The race cars that were turned out of Hollywood Sport Cars were some of the most dominant entries in west coast road racing events... And let's not forget all the great road cars that he offered through this same dealership.

Chic was a real pleasure to chat with, and he was also supportive of my efforts and interests that involved some of his closest friends, employees, drivers and cars.

So many enthusiasts of North American road racing are grateful for Chic's many accomplishments.

-Chad

#6 RobertE

RobertE

• 292 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:20

RIP. What a wonderful opening photograph, btw...

#7 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:59

Posted Image
Dick Guldstrand and Chic Vandagriff and his loving son Cris Vandagriff
This was from the Legends of Riverside event.

#8 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 16:47

RIP. What a wonderful opening photograph, btw...

At Del Mar, is it not?

#9 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 20:48

Sad to hear. I first met Chic in 1970 at Hollywood Sports Cars during a... prewar Tootsietoy die-cast toy cars collectors meeting! Chic always was a great guy and I am sorry to hear of his passing.
:(

#10 OCTARD

OCTARD

• 22 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 22:03

I've included an article on Chic and Cris Vandagriff that appeared in the Summer/Fall, 1991, issue of VARA's The Vintage Voice (Author Lynn Mills).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Permission from Cris Vandagriff and VARA was requested and received prior to posting this article.

-Chad

#11 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 23:26

Posted Image
Dolly Vandagriff and Chris Amon and Chic Vandagriff with the 1969 Ferrari CanAm car

Great article Chad: That article only covers a small portion of the things Chic had done.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 31 July 2011 - 01:55.