Photo

Sky AND BBC to show F1 in 2012-2018

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7820 replies to this topic

#6301 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,791 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:21

Funnily enough, it was not passed moderation.
This comment was blocked by JA.

Make up your own mind about this man.

I don't particularly like James Allen as a commentator but to go on his website and be so rude is pathetic. Of course he wouldn't publish such a disrespectful post. You need to grow up bud. :down:

I think it says more about you, actually.

Nicely put.

:up: :up:

Advertisement

#6302 grandmastashi

grandmastashi

• 194 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:58

It'll be interesting to see how his style had developed since 2008; I wasn't a fan of his commentary at the time, but as someone else mentioned, he was adhering to ITV's style guide. If I remember correctly, as the channel's Lewis-love was blowing up to biblical proportions, I was getting so frustrated with the amount of times the words 'Lewis' and 'Hamilton' were mentioned, I actually sat and counted them. During the first 15 minute segment of the 2007 Monaco GP preview show, those words were uttered something ridiculous like 35 times...

My estimation of him has gone up because of his website, hopefully he can continue that trend.

#6303 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,791 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:09

I was getting so frustrated with the amount of times the words 'Lewis' and 'Hamilton' were mentioned, I actually sat and counted them. During the first 15 minute segment of the 2007 Monaco GP preview show, those words were uttered something ridiculous like 35 times...

If you really want a shock, watch the 2008 Monaco GP and count how many times he compares Hamilton with Senna! Being a fan of both drivers I found it rather insulting to both talents and completely unnecessary.

#6304 Rob

Rob

• 8,254 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:14

Allen > Legard. Simples.

But then again

Silence > Allen > Legard

#6305 davemsc

davemsc

• 44 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:24

I think James Allen got a rough ride TBH.

... (only us Brits are not allowed to big-up our drivers on the BBC........).

Curious, because loads of people have been bitching about the BBC over-hyping (and 'talking too much to') di Resta last year. :lol:

I'm quite concerned by this, to be honest. On BBC TV we'll have Jake Humphrey fawning all over Hamilton, and on the radio we'll have James Allen fawning all over Hamilton. Thankfully Humphrey isn't a commentator, so the preamble and post-race stuff can be avoided on the telly, but that's difficult to do on the radio. Hmmm, maybe the Beeb wants to alienate all of their viewers and listeners so they can be justified in offloading the coverage to Sky? :rotfl:

#6306 davemsc

davemsc

• 44 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:25

But then again

Silence > Allen > Legard

:clap: :clap: :clap:

#6307 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 766 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:05

A rant against Autosport has a place in another forum, called feedback, where much more is tolerated.

And here Ive never seen comments that disaprove of Autosport-articles or content being removed. Edd Straw got a very thourough bashing for his article on the Vettel/Senna comparisment.

Feedback does not equal "I think you are rubbish as a commentator and did you not know we started a campaign called 'stop the cock'?"

I doubt Edd Straw got comments saying "I think you are a rubbish journalist and did you not know everyone in the paddock talks about your crappy articles?"

#6308 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:08

But then again

Silence > Allen > Legard

True.

Allen is a fantastic print journo, but he shouldn't be allowed near a microphone to commentate.

#6309 Snic

Snic

• 571 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:16

It's probably fair to say JA will be a completely different commentator as I'm sure he has had time to figure out what he did wrong on ITV. Now that Hams team mate is the charismatic Button as opposed to the Machiavellian Alonso I doubt you'll see any LH bias anyway. Given the amount of apprehension there was last year before DC started commentating it's a bit early to judge how JA will do on the wireless, it's a completely different ballgame.

Edited by Snic, 06 January 2012 - 11:18.

#6310 grandmastashi

grandmastashi

• 194 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:58

If you really want a shock, watch the 2008 Monaco GP and count how many times he compares Hamilton with Senna! Being a fan of both drivers I found it rather insulting to both talents and completely unnecessary.

I switched off ITV's commentary and went with 5 Live mid 07 as I couldn't take it any more... I'll give it a look and see how sickened I am.

#6311 peterhent

peterhent

• 173 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:52

I think it says more about you, actually.

+1 :up:

#6312 swerved

swerved

• 3,688 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:54

I posted the following on the James Allen blog.

It is currently awaiting moderation. Given the fact that the only people commenting are saying "wow, you are so great, I loved you on itv", what are the chances of it passing moderation? :rotfl:

About the same as Jimi Hendrix making a new LP.

#6313 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,687 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 14:12

True.

Allen is a fantastic print journo, but he shouldn't be allowed near a microphone to commentate.

I think it depends. He used to be ESPN's F1 pit reporter and he was fine there. But Jonathan Green was also fine in ESPN's role and is now a very shouty commentator.

But so is Ben Edwards, I think some of you will be in for a surprise. Then again not as much happens in F1 as a BTCC race so maybe he won't have the opportunities.

I don't know if it ever went on the internet, but in 1997ish Allen did a half hour program with ESPN where he tested a PacWest Indycar. It was a really good and interesting show.

#6314 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 14:22

The Hamilton 'love fest' resumes.

lol, pathetic BBC.

In fairness, it was ITV who seemed to be pushing the Hamilton love-in angle. Not that there weren't many other complaints about James Allen's commentary before Lewis showed up.

#6315 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 14:52

James Allen was and still is a very, very good commentator. Without James Allen to bounce off, Martin Brundle sounded very average indeed. With Legard, Brundle struggled if truth be told and their chemistry was atrocious. With Coulthard, Brundle improved a bit, but not back to his ITV standards when he was the recipient of plaudits from all quarters. James Allen unfairly got it in the neck due to due to him paying attention to the story of the year and that was the arrival of Lewis Hamilton and his battle with Alonso. Allen was damned for doing a job no different than Spanish or German TV laud over Alonso and Vettel. Last season Brundle and Coulthard fornicated over Jenson Button and despite the fact Button, is one of my least favourite drivers, it not once clouded my judgement on Brundle and Coultard as commentators. James Allen coming back is probably the best decision the BBC has made regarding their 2012 F1 coverage. I remember well all those idiots who clamoured for Allen to get sacked and praised the BBC for hiring Legard. :cry: Where are these voices now? :rotfl:

Edited by The Ragged Edge, 06 January 2012 - 14:55.

#6316 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 15:43

Where are these voices now? :rotfl:

*checks*... I'm still here.

#6317 F1EC

F1EC

• 864 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 16:07

James Allen was and still is a very, very good commentator. Without James Allen to bounce off, Martin Brundle sounded very average indeed. With Legard, Brundle struggled if truth be told and their chemistry was atrocious. With Coulthard, Brundle improved a bit, but not back to his ITV standards when he was the recipient of plaudits from all quarters. James Allen unfairly got it in the neck due to due to him paying attention to the story of the year and that was the arrival of Lewis Hamilton and his battle with Alonso. Allen was damned for doing a job no different than Spanish or German TV laud over Alonso and Vettel. Last season Brundle and Coulthard fornicated over Jenson Button and despite the fact Button, is one of my least favourite drivers, it not once clouded my judgement on Brundle and Coultard as commentators. James Allen coming back is probably the best decision the BBC has made regarding their 2012 F1 coverage. I remember well all those idiots who clamoured for Allen to get sacked and praised the BBC for hiring Legard. :cry: Where are these voices now? :rotfl:

:up: :up:

#6318 Prancing Horse

Prancing Horse

• 53 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 16:26

I think the BBC line up is now far more credible than Sky actually. Humphrey is a proven anchor man, Ben Edwards I prefer to Brundle as a commentator (although I enjoy the grid walks) Eddie Jordan is a knowledgeable ex F1 team boss, Coulthard a multiple Grand Prix winner, Lee McKenzie has spent most of her life in and around motorsport and manages drivers in the lesser Formulae and now they have **** ******** as pit reporter who has considerable experience as an engineer and designer working in various F1 teams and I should imagine he will have a lot of contacts in the pit lane, certainly as many or more than Kravitz or Pinkham..

Aside from Brundle I think the Sky team is now lacking in substance in comparison to the BBC.

#6319 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 16:56

I think the BBC line up is now far more credible than Sky actually. Humphrey is a proven anchor man, Ben Edwards I prefer to Brundle as a commentator (although I enjoy the grid walks) Eddie Jordan is a knowledgeable ex F1 team boss, Coulthard a multiple Grand Prix winner, Lee McKenzie has spent most of her life in and around motorsport and manages drivers in the lesser Formulae and now they have **** ******** as pit reporter who has considerable experience as an engineer and designer working in various F1 teams and I should imagine he will have a lot of contacts in the pit lane, certainly as many or more than Kravitz or Pinkham..

Aside from Brundle I think the Sky team is now lacking in substance in comparison to the BBC.

Massive case of rose tinted glasses here.

Sky's presenter Simon Lazenby is identical to Humphrey in that neither are F1 people, although Lazenby at least had a sports background compared to Humphreys childrens tv background.

Davidson & Jordan are both respected within F1 although Jordans opinion generally relate to 'what Jordan would've done' 10 years ago.

Brundle & Croft is pretty credible and respected really. Same with Ted Kravitz. Sky have the experience, BBC the trainees in Mckenzie & Coulthard.

Edited by jamiegc, 06 January 2012 - 16:59.

Advertisement

#6320 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,815 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 17:12

Curious, because loads of people have been bitching about the BBC over-hyping (and 'talking too much to') di Resta last year. :lol:

I'm quite concerned by this, to be honest. On BBC TV we'll have Jake Humphrey fawning all over Hamilton, and on the radio we'll have James Allen fawning all over Hamilton. Thankfully Humphrey isn't a commentator, so the preamble and post-race stuff can be avoided on the telly, but that's difficult to do on the radio. Hmmm, maybe the Beeb wants to alienate all of their viewers and listeners so they can be justified in offloading the coverage to Sky? :rotfl:

The BBC have never really fawned over Hamilton. I get the impression that after ITV they decided to lay off of Hamilton because he polarised opinion so much. Much to the point that his wins really didn't get that much analysis in comparison to others (including his teammate).

So. Conveniently Red Bull ended up with the quickest car and Bernies boy came to the fore and we had to witness the spectacle of DC, Humphries and Jordan having a group love-in over Vettel week-in week-out no matter if he won or not..... And I cannot recall many complaining about that. *

Hopefully Sky will be a bit more balanced - whoever wins.

* Happy now?

Edited by maverick69, 06 January 2012 - 17:31.
Edited out description of a sexual nature.

#6321 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 17:37

The BBC have never really fawned over Hamilton.

* Happy now?

LOL! You must have missed the MTV editing style Hammy-promos they would broadcast minutes before the start of another Vettel-on-pole race. Granted, it wasnt as bad as the Hamilton show of ITV, but it was a Hamilton love fest through and through, with glorious predictions about how Hamilton would carve his way through the field race in and race out.

#6322 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 17:42

Sky's intro music is apparently going to be Just Drive by Alistair Griffin............. :lol:

Its a good choice but the irony!

Incase you've not heard it. http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Edited by olliek88, 06 January 2012 - 17:55.

#6323 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,815 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 17:45

LOL! You must have missed the MTV editing style Hammy-promos they would broadcast minutes before the start of another Vettel-on-pole race. Granted, it wasnt as bad as the Hamilton show of ITV, but it was a Hamilton love fest through and through, with glorious predictions about how Hamilton would carve his way through the field race in and race out.

I must have missed that stuff........

#6324 swerved

swerved

• 3,688 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 17:47

*checks*... I'm still here.

:up: Same here, Allen was an absolute abomination thoughout 2007, and not much better in previous years nor since, I can't recall a commentator being so bad that a campaign was mounted to silence him, and by a campaign I dont mean a few disgruntled members on here, I mean a campaign which was disseminated across and gained recognition on many bulletin boards and sites.

It remains to be seen how he'll be next season, a lot less shouty would be preferable, and a hell of a lot less sycophantic, be it over Lewis, Button or anyone else.

#6325 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,802 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 17:49

I must have missed that stuff........

You're not alone there, can't say I've seen any Hamiltonmania from the Beeb in the manner of ITV in 07-08... if anything the BBC have been pro-Button and definitely pro-Vettel...

#6326 P123

P123

• 8,605 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 17:55

Make up your own mind about this man.

He's more than a few notches above you it would seem.

#6327 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,527 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 17:58

The only name's I'll really miss are Brundle and Kravitz, Crofty and Davidson were certainly decent but I felt the pally humour was forced and often awkward, they shouldn't be too hard to replace.

I just wish they'd taken EJ too :(

#6328 TeamSideways

TeamSideways

• 647 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 18:14

why cant u just enjoy the coverage from bbc or sky and let go of anti-vettel anti-hamilton obsessions , i am a fan of neither and i dont see any bias from bbc toward hamilton or vettel .

#6329 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 18:22

Sky's intro music is apparently going to be Just Drive by Alistair Griffin............. :lol:

Oh dear. I hated that song at the time and I don't think I'll like it anymore now. Hope it's not true.

#6330 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 19:28

:up: Same here, Allen was an absolute abomination thoughout 2007, and not much better in previous years nor since, I can't recall a commentator being so bad that a campaign was mounted to silence him, and by a campaign I dont mean a few disgruntled members on here, I mean a campaign which was disseminated across and gained recognition on many bulletin boards and sites.

It remains to be seen how he'll be next season, a lot less shouty would be preferable, and a hell of a lot less sycophantic, be it over Lewis, Button or anyone else.

And sennaesque. Hes gotta stop that too.

#6331 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,246 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 19:43

New Sky F1 promo: http://www.skysports...7415542,00.html

#6332 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 19:59

Just to please you? You certainly have a bloated sense of self worth my friend. Hamilton drives like a demon around Monaco and using the term Sennaesque is not an exageration in this instance. Likewise calling some of Vettels 2011 pole-positions Sennaesque, would be worthy. Senna was not a god, just a very, very good driver, a man and flawed with it, so stop putting him up on some lofty pedestal that no other driver can possibly reach.

Edited by The Ragged Edge, 06 January 2012 - 20:03.

#6333 TeamMacca

TeamMacca

• 534 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 20:03

So Sky have picked a song that is depressing - Wow, not exactly going to get people in the mood is it.

And the song is so so slow, i am no expert but anyone will tell you you need a fast, up tempo tune/song to get you in the mood.

Another fail by Sky and we haven't even started yet :)

#6334 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,555 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 20:04

So Sky have picked a song that is depressing - Wow, not exactly going to get people in the mood is it.

And the song is so so slow, i am no expert but anyone will tell you you need a fast, up tempo tune/song to get you in the mood.

Another fail by Sky and we haven't even started yet :)

What are the other fails?

Amazed how some can get so worked up over a bit of music.

#6335 TeamMacca

TeamMacca

• 534 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 20:10

What are the other fails?

Amazed how some can get so worked up over a bit of music.

Not worked up, just calmly laughing at how crap the intro will be.

Well not going someone who knows about F1 to be the Sky F1 Presenter is another fail instead they pick a pretty girl to front the show who knows nothing and has admitted it.

Not sure if Natalie Pinkham is another fail or not. "I know lets sign two pretty girls up to the show to get the rating up"

#6336 swerved

swerved

• 3,688 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 20:10

Yep, wasn't there a rumour that that a relative of Senna had requested the comparisons be toned down ? I seem to recall something about it, When an ardent fan of Lewis recognises that Allen overdid it it just illustrates how bad it was.

I was contemplating doing the satellite thing, and listening to 5 Lives commentary, rather than paying Sky, but there's no way i'll be listening to that idiots inane shouting and screaming.

#6337 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,329 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 20:11

But then again

Silence > Allen > Legard

:lol: :up:

#6338 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,555 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 20:15

Well not going someone who knows about F1 to be the Sky F1 Presenter is another fail instead they pick a pretty girl to front the show who knows nothing and has admitted it.

Not sure if Natalie Pinkham is another fail or not. "I know lets sign two pretty girls up to the show to get the rating up"

So you have labelled it a fail without ever seeing a presentation.

#6339 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 20:17

New Sky F1 promo: http://www.skysports...7415542,00.html

I'm effing loving that!

I'm in the mood for the season to start, NOW! March is too far away.

Advertisement

#6340 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,791 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 20:19

I'm effing loving that!

Or April for some of us.

#6341 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,923 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 20:28

Indeed. Or R5live March..

#6342 Wi000

Wi000

• 1,163 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 20:28

I'm effing loving that!

Niiiiiiceeeeeee, "the race is only part of the story" :up:

#6343 TeamSideways

TeamSideways

• 647 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 20:31

here is a conversation with sky online chat , apparently she doesn't what know f1 is all about

Sonali: I am sorry there is no channel for sky sport f1.

You: but sky is showing f1 next season right ?

Sonali: Can I get the channel number please?

You: i cant get u channel number

You: you should know that sky sport f1 would be released on march

You: !!

Sonali: Where did you get this information from, is it from online, on phone or sky website?

Edited by TeamSideways, 06 January 2012 - 20:31.

#6344 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,084 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 21:04

Because Jake was an F1 expert before he got the presenter gig wasn't he ? oh wait, that was CBBC, not F1.

If you are talking about Thompson "fronting the show" you're wrong, Lazenby is doing it.

So the sky "fails" as you put it any anything but.

#6345 Tifosi4ever

Tifosi4ever

• 786 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 22:19

James official reply.

"People are free to comment on this site and to leave criticism if they wish, as long as it is constructive. You will find many examples of this on this site stretching back three years.

However we’ve always made it clear that we want to keep the standard of discussion high, so trolling, insults and blind negativity are moderated out.

People with extreme views are able to have a voice on forums like Autosport. But it is a turn off for most fans who want informed debate.

That’s why we block comments like your earlier one, which are merely insulting and add nothing to the debate.

Out of the 120 or so comments in the last 12 hours, yours was one of only 2 which were moderated out. Those are the ratios involved – Mod

Now, what is extreme about pointing out the obvious. james Allen had petitions signed by thousands to get him sacked, yet on his blog everyone is saying how great he is. Personally, I don't even know whether he was crap or not, as I had to put up with RTL coverage. I was merely pointing out that most people didn't like his commentary, though most say his journalism is very good. Shut up James Allen, and "Stop the Cock" were very real, and supported by most people, not the "extreme".

BTW, Apparently autosport is considered extremist. Maybe Autosport would like to take James up legally on his comments.

#6346 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,430 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 22:23

James official reply.

Now, what is extreme about pointing out the obvious. james Allen had petitions signed by thousands to get him sacked, yet on his blog everyone is saying how great he is. Personally, I don't even know whether he was crap or not, as I had to put up with RTL coverage. I was merely pointing out that most people didn't like his commentary, though most say his journalism is very good. Shut up James Allen, and "Stop the Cock" were very real, and supported by most people, not the "extreme".

BTW, Apparently autosport is considered extremist. Maybe Autosport would like to take James up legally on his comments.

You should try reading it again. It doesn't say that.

#6347 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,687 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 22:36

I laughed. But I also agreed with them.

#6348 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 22:44

Autosport extremist hahahaha :rotfl: God. What a joke he is.

#6349 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 22:44

'Apparently', but who needs actual confirmation before criticising ey?

#6350 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,430 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 22:46

Autosport extremist hahahaha :rotfl: God. What a joke he is.

You should try reading it again as well.
It does not say that.