• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nuromancer

nuromancer

• 21 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:27

http://Posted Image[/img]
This is a very early one of Ian from my fathers collection

Edited by nuromancer, 03 August 2011 - 08:28.

Advertisement

#2 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:42

That is very much as I remember Ian, one of my favourite drivers of the fifities, I first saw him at Crystal Palace wearing his check shirt and a 'Corker' crash hat, as worn by policemen in those days.
Great photo I would love a copy as I do not have a good picture of him from that period.
Many thanks for posting these pictures.

Regards,

bauble

#3 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:57

Being Brighton based while in the UK, it's surprising how many times the name Ian Raby comes up. I met an ex girlfriend of his only the other day, who filled in a lot of details about him, his career and his unfortunate end. He certainly seems to have had an impact on those he met.

#4 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 14:04

Being Brighton based while in the UK, it's surprising how many times the name Ian Raby comes up. I met an ex girlfriend of his only the other day, who filled in a lot of details about him, his career and his unfortunate end. He certainly seems to have had an impact on those he met.

I watched him race his elderly Brabham BRM at the 1965 ROC, Brands Hatch and was surprised just how noisy it was.

From memory he died several months after his crash at Zandvoort in a London hospital and I read somewhere a few years ago that his death was due to medical incompetence/negligence.

#5 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 14:16

I watched him race his elderly Brabham BRM at the 1965 ROC, Brands Hatch and was surprised just how noisy it was.

From memory he died several months after his crash at Zandvoort in a London hospital and I read somewhere a few years ago that his death was due to medical incompetence/negligence.

He was, according to his ex-girlfriend, given infected blood, just before his release from the Dutch hospital.

Edited by f1steveuk, 03 August 2011 - 14:17.

#6 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 14:41

He was, according to his ex-girlfriend, given infected blood, just before his release from the Dutch hospital.

My apologies to the period British medical profession.

#7 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 15:11

Well it was incompetence, just not British incompetence!

#8 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 15:39

http://Posted Image[/img]
This is a very early one of Ian from my fathers collection

A superb photo!. Ian Raby as many of us like to remember him. The Crystal Palace race mentioned by Bauble was the junior 'Petit Prix' on July 30th 1955 which Ian won comfortably from John Brown's Martin and Tommy Bridger's Kieft. Happy days indeed!. :cool: