Lovely man . . . . . . . . . . . . .

;)

Running a bit 'rich' as usual Larry.What a Star he was. :wave:

HW

#4 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 14:00

Jeez, Mad Maxmobile. Looks like a Triumph motor in Sportsmax type frame?

#5 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 14:02

Jeez, Mad Maxmobile. Looks like a Triumph motor in Sportsmax type frame?

Nice one Russell.Look a bit closer at the motor. :eek:

HW

#6 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 14:31

H...has it had the fins removed ?

#7 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 14:36

Nice one Russell.Look a bit closer at the motor. :eek:

HW

The ol' minces are not what they were, Herr - still looks like like a pre unit Brit twin, if not a Triumph ?

#8 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 14:49

The ol' minces are not what they were, Herr - still looks like like a pre unit Brit twin, if not a Triumph ?

Yes its a Triumph alright,but if I remember well enough its GP500.

HW

#9 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 18:55

Yes its a Triumph alright,but if I remember well enough its GP500.

HW

Ah so, now I see it, Herr. Who's the pilot?

#10 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 19:28

Ah so, now I see it, Herr. Who's the pilot?

An eccentric Irishman called Owen Sheridan.Sadly no longer with us .Legend has it he converted a VW flat 4 to OHC with open chains thrashing hither and thither !!

HW

#11 larryd

larryd

• 676 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 20:12

An eccentric Irishman called Owen Sheridan.Sadly no longer with us .Legend has it he converted a VW flat 4 to OHC with open chains thrashing hither and thither !!

HW

Note that the gear change incorporated a short length of rear Renold chain, Andy . . . . . . . .

Ownie rode that heap in Classic road races in the mid - late 70s (as a matter of interest, he rode a 500 Sunbeam 90 in 50s events, and before that).

In 13 laps of Faugheen '78, I on my Macchi Metisse lapped him 4 times on my way to 2nd, and never ever had a problem getting past. Slow, yes, but his lines and track behaviour were perfect.

AND he's the only man I ever knew who could play 2 penny whistles at once.

Paddock barbeques on race nights were magic - he could supply the "good stuff" as well!!

That's what I mean when I say that racing used to be fun.

#12 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 20:32

Note that the gear change incorporated a short length of rear Renold chain, Andy . . . . . . . .

Ownie rode that heap in Classic road races in the mid - late 70s (as a matter of interest, he rode a 500 Sunbeam 90 in 50s events, and before that).

In 13 laps of Faugheen '78, I on my Macchi Metisse lapped him 4 times on my way to 2nd, and never ever had a problem getting past. Slow, yes, but his lines and track behaviour were perfect.

AND he's the only man I ever knew who could play 2 penny whistles at once.

Paddock barbeques on race nights were magic - he could supply the "good stuff" as well!!

That's what I mean when I say that racing used to be fun.

Brilliant stuff Larry.Yes,I heard about the penny whistles.The racing was only part of the event,when I used to 'visit'.Was the Sunbeam the one that Dick Quick rode on occasion ?

HW

#13 Hoofhearted

Hoofhearted

• 100 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 23:37

Onie was one of those characters long since disappeared. I first met him at the Turvey Ave. sprint. I remember asking him when he started racing. "19 and 34" was the reply. True his machines passed scrutiny more through sympathy than technical excellence. The OHC beetle engine is true. The last time he had it out was at Fore in the late 70s. It had a homemade fuel injection set up. It seemed that one side injected fuel in and the other side injected fuel out! Ken (who's last name I have forgotten) was the passenger. When they came in after practice Ken's leather held more fuel than the tank. I never saw it out after that.

I had a Kreidler at Faughen, again, late 70s. I was out in the first race. When I came in Onie was there waiting for me. The zip in his leathers had burst and he wanted to borrow mine. No problem. I went into my tent and changed and brought out the leathers. Onie started to strip off right outside the tent. Which was no big deal except he hadn't a stitch on underneath. I told him there are ladies about and he should change in the tent. He glanced around and said. "Oh right. there,s quite a few. Wouldn't do to get them too excited. I haven't time for them all"!! When he changed I wanted to take a photo of him. He immediately knelt beside the Kreidler and posed. He maintained if you were going to have your photo taken beside a bike it should appear that you are working on it. Sadly missed.

Posted Image By weslake at 2007-04-21[/img]

#14 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:07

Thanks for that one Bill, :rotfl: :rotfl:

HW

Edited by Herr Wankel, 04 August 2011 - 05:08.

#15 rotrax

rotrax

• 176 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 14:20

Posted Image

Have a go at this one chaps

(LarryD is excluded)

HW

Hi, I was asked by the Thirty Motorcycle Club to get entrants togother for a vintage and classic meeting at Kirkistown .Owen Sheridan turned up with a 500dohc twin cylinder NSU-looks like it might have been in that chassis. I think it broke but untill then it sounded lovely. He was a lovely chap,pity I did not get to hear the penny whistles.

#16 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 15:20

Hi, I was asked by the Thirty Motorcycle Club to get entrants togother for a vintage and classic meeting at Kirkistown .Owen Sheridan turned up with a 500dohc twin cylinder NSU-looks like it might have been in that chassis. I think it broke but untill then it sounded lovely. He was a lovely chap,pity I did not get to hear the penny whistles.

Unique mate,just unique :lol: :lol:

HW