Photo

Berlin Rome race

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Satch Carlson

Satch Carlson

• 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 00:13

In researching a story on a BMW which I had heard described as a "Mille Miglia 328," I learned that it was instead part of a trio of roadsters prepared by Carozzerria Touring in late 1940 or early 1941 (!) for a race from Berlin to Rome that was first proposed for 1938, then postponed, no doubt due to an urgent need to annex Austria and Czechoslovakia.

I was unable to find out much about this race---whose grand idea it was, how far any planning progressed, et cetera---but I had to speculate that by late 1940, it may have seemed to the Reichsters that the heavy work was complete, and that the following Spring might be an ideal time to celebrate the new Teutonic Age with such a race.

Is there any definitive source of information more accurate than my feverish imagination?

Satch Carlson

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 00:52

I have quite a lot of detail on this event, but I'd rather not put it on a public forum as it forms part of a much larger project I'm working on. Send me a PM or email me at richardarmstrong (at) fsmail.net and I'll answer tomorrow (it's 01.50 here and I'm off to bed :yawnface: ) :)