German racing developmants in the '30s

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 duby

duby

• 191 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 14:23

hellow

once again a questions about the 30's and the silver arrows era.
i am trying to summarize and make short one.

if i am trying to issolate the NAZI involvment - what were the main development that were new in the racing engineering of the silver arrows in the 30's ?

how many people worked in the racing departments between 34-39 ?

thanks
duby

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 16:55

Buy a book, duby :)

There are plenty to choose from

#3 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,545 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 20:03

Start off by reading the Chris Nixon book.

One very important difference was that the German racing departments were not part of a small sports car company that made a bit of money selling racing cars to wealthy amateurs. The Mercedes and Auto Union teams were parts of volume car manufacturers with massive resources and industry connections. Suppliers made special tyres and special fuel for them. Nixon argues that seed funding from the German government was inconsequential in comparison to money spent by the companies.

#4 duby

duby

• 191 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 20:46

Buy a book, duby :)

There are plenty to choose from

David

thnx for the advice - BUT - i have and read allmost all the books that were published.
as i mentiomed, i try to summarize something by trying if there any benefites to the car industry from that era in racing, and just the propoganda that the NAZIS try to do from that sport.

duby

#5 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 21:01

duby,

You need to be clear in your own mind whether you are thinking about the Nazis or the German government. The two terms are not necessarily synonymous.

Remember that the terms of the Treaty of Versailles were still in force in 1934 (admittedly only just in some cases). Germany were prohibited from developing military aircraft, however they could develop some of the necessary technology in motor racing: lightweight engines with high power/weight ratios; supercharger technology; the fabrication, use and properties of lightweight alloys; fuel technology; validation of aerodynamic theories, etc. All the knowledge gained would have been of benefit to the manufacturers if not directly to the car industry.

The demonstration of German technological superiority must have improved export sales.

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 21:12

I'd add independent suspension to Duncan's list.

#7 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:08

And donĀ“t forget limited slip diffs - done by ZF for AU.

#8 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:08

What's the difference between the NAZI's and German government in mid ,late 30's?

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,253 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:59

In this context, I would say none...

The NAZI party ruled, they had ambitions to conquer the world, they wanted propaganda to help them do that.

But I don't think there would have been all that much 'technology' from the racing cars that would have carried over to the aircraft. They would learn more by getting a close-up look at the Schneider Trophy planes, I'd think.