Photo

Jackie Stewart Cooper test 1963

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chfrank

chfrank

• 19 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 16:53

I own a 1963 Cooper T67 that was originally raced by Leon Elde (Dernier). The car was also raced by Paul Deetens in 1963. While tracing this cars history back from our purchase of the car one of the past owners told us that in 1965 after purchasing the car he contacted the Cooper Works and spoke to Roy Salvadori and while on the phone Salvo mentioned that his car was the one driven by Jackie Stewart as a try out, and that the Cooper works had the car at their shop and acted as agents to sell the car to someone in the US called "Milner". We are trying to validate if Jackie tested a T67 rather than a T72. The test was will Bruce Mclaren and Ken Tyrrel at Oultan Park.
I am looking for more information to validate what car Jackie drove at that test. Our car could have still have been yellow, but was sprayed cooper green next. I know Doug Nye has reference to this test in his books.

Any info appreciated,

Chris

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 17:30

I am very sceptical about Roy really having had any awareness of which F3 car was driven by whom. Jackie drove two notable tests, one his first on that celebrated day at Goodwood, the other whenever it was that he drove his Tyrrell team car for the first time...if that was NOT the self-same Goodwood test.
His regular team car was reconstructed by a chap named Brooks (Brookes?) some years ago, having passed via Tony and Jean Denton into the Irish grass-track racing world and having been cut apart for its suspension corners to be redeployed in something relatively humble, perhaps a Hillman Imp?

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 15 August 2011 - 19:31.