Photo

Racing in Manchester

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 18:30

Can anyone remember a Formula One car or for that matter any racing cars taking to the streets of Manchester before?

http://www.vodafone....vip-carrunfo-im

PAR

Advertisement

#2 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 18:47

Sauber BMW turned out at the Trafford Centre a few years ago.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 18:49

Can anyone remember any racing cars taking to the streets of Manchester before?

I remember racing you around the streets of Manchester circa 1979, but that was a Renault 5TL against a Mini...

Wasn't there an A1 GP street parade circa 2006?

#4 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 19:11

Yes I think there was.

#5 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 19:33

I remember racing you around the streets of Manchester circa 1979, but that was a Renault 5TL against a Mini...

There is a clip of it here: I must say it is rather underwhelming. Can only hope that Jenson is allowed to put on more of a show.

#6 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 9,282 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 19:40

Yes there was, I was there :D
Not what you see parked outside the Arndale everyday.
Posted Image

Albert Square.
Posted Image

Deansgate.
Posted Image

And very impressive it was too :up:

#7 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 19:50

I recall the Sauber team at the Trafford Centre ......but I have no memory of the A1GP Event

I have only lived here for 50 years :lol:

PAR

#8 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 9,282 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 19:51

I must say it is rather underwhelming.

And how fast do you think they should go with the crowd so close?
The drivers were under strict instructions to go quite slow on the bends/corners
But at the start of the straights they would stop, bounce the engines off the rev limiters and drop their clutch.
When your six feet away and surounded by high buildings, it's impressive.
And I've attended over 35 GPs plus LeMans a few times, not just demos.

#9 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 19:52

British Touring Cars at their best !! :)

PAR

#10 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 521 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 20:23

Someone get in touch with Alan Gow quick!!! :drunk: What a great idea for the advent of NGTC cars and having a street race :confused: . Birmingham manged it :up: , Manchester could probably do it ;) , Bristol?? :| , Cardiff?? :| , Sheffield?? :| , the draw of a crowd to town centres once a year on a rota would be interesting ;) . With more cars coming into BTCC soon Skoda & MG to join Audi, Proton, VW, Vauxhall Insignia, Toyota, Seat, Chevrolet, Honda, BMW and the rest, it will have a lot more appeal in the near future :kiss: .
With the expected mass turn off as far as F1 is concerned :rolleyes: , the BTCC can always chance the extra punters turning up to this type of meeting :smoking: . I for one would be there :wave: . Back on thread, the limitations of running the cars in a city centre must dampen the genuine feel but the proximity of buildings and the noise of the cars will no doubt make the experience a good one :love: for those folk who may only ever get to see the `spectacle` once in their lives ;)

#11 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 21:17

British Touring Cars at their best !! :)

PAR

The best part was playing tick in cars David Eva Peter Schaeffer and myself, round Deansgate, Princess St and Oxford Road.

#12 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 21:34

I am under the impression that Manchester centre has just experienced quite enough spectacle, thank you... :rolleyes:

DCN

#13 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 9,282 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:43

I am under the impression that Manchester centre has just experienced quite enough spectacle, thank you... :rolleyes:

DCN

You aint seen nuttin' yet :rotfl:

#14 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 9,282 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:44

The best part was playing tick in cars David Eva Peter Schaeffer and myself, round Deansgate, Princess St and Oxford Road.

David Eva, now there's a name I remember from a long time ago ;)

Edited by Paul Hurdsfield, 16 August 2011 - 06:56.

#15 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:07

On a more formal basis, there were also proposals to stage an Indycar race on a temporary circuit (no, not Deansgate) in Manchester. MN ran quite a big story at the time and the MEN joined in, too: http://menmedia.co.u...city_talks.html

#16 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:13

What sort of answer is that to DCN's point?

Better get the place sorted first.

#17 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:45

Not sure what the point was-if it refers to recent looting I supose this applies anywhere-should they cancel the Olympics?
BTCC in the city centre sounds like a good idea-I reckon I would be there-wheras I would not bother with any of the present circuits.

Edited by Rob29, 16 August 2011 - 07:46.

#18 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:45

David Eva, now there's a name I remember from a long time ago ;)

Now deceased these 30 years or more, needed heart lung transplant but no donor found.

#19 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 16:36

Slicks on Tram-lines might make it interesting!

Advertisement

#20 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 16:54

DCN

Let's hope it will not experience anything like it again.

Catching up on my unread copies of " Motor Sport " when I came across this quote from Nigel Roebuck

" Protests and rioting in Bahrain: was this really a country where a Grand Prix should be held in 2011? " Ummmm.....

PAR

#21 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 9,282 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 17:24

Now deceased these 30 years or more, needed heart lung transplant but no donor found.

Thats very sad, I seem to recall his wife/partner having a child in the late60s/early 70s
So the child would have only been about 10 when David died.

#22 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 9,282 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 17:31

Maybe you didnt notice this :rotfl:
The riots were a minor blip (although not good for the victims of looting) and a lot less severe than London experienced.
Manchester is a fantastic City and quite capable of putting on a major event, remember 2002 and the Commonwealth games?
Maybe I'm a bit biased, I've lived here for almost 62 years.

Edited by Paul Hurdsfield, 16 August 2011 - 17:33.

#23 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 17:46

This is the route for JB's demo in the McLaren:

http://www.vodafone....ip_live_map.pdf

Fortunately, well away from the Metrolink tram route:

http://www.projectma.....entre map.pdf

#24 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 17:57

That is a fair blast down Deansgate...........mind you if Jenson's luck is anything like mine when I drive through the City Centre all the lights will be on red :)

PAR

#25 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 18:44

Thats very sad, I seem to recall his wife/partner having a child in the late60s/early 70s
So the child would have only been about 10 when David died.

Had two children I think, was a very close friend of mine, he was a groomsman at my wedding, I eventually went to live overseas and only saw him once or twice after his accident

#26 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 19:43

I would have thought that 'racing away from Manchester' might be more appropriate.

#27 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 20:01

I would have thought that 'racing away from Manchester' might be more appropriate.

Strange, but the same feeling I have with regard to London.

#28 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 20:13

Beaded edge IN tramlines even more interesting

#29 MartLgn

MartLgn

• 150 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 20:30

For the benefit of the Northern contributors to this topic would you care to elaborate on why that might be more appropriate?

#30 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 19:25

There was a Greater Manchester Grand Prix race (which I was involved in for several years). Push-bikes not boring F1 though.

I saw a Yardley BRM on a perfume display in Boots on Market Street once.

#31 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 21:02

Was that before Bernie copyrighted the term "Grand Prix" - or tried to? Or was it only "Formula 1" that he annexed?

Edited by D-Type, 18 August 2011 - 21:03.

#32 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:33

Was that before Bernie copyrighted the term "Grand Prix" - or tried to? Or was it only "Formula 1" that he annexed?

Certainly have been 'Grand Prix' for bikes(both motor & pedal power)boats power & sail) planes & athletes.'Fomula Ones for bikes,boats & planes I seem to remember,also hair restorer.

#33 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 20:16

For the benefit of the Northern contributors to this topic would you care to elaborate on why that might be more appropriate?

I could explain, however, I doubt 'Northern' contributors would appreciate or, indeed, understand the reasons. I should point out that I did go to Manchester ...... once.

#34 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 521 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 21:02

I could explain, however, I doubt 'Northern' contributors would appreciate or, indeed, understand the reasons. I should point out that I did go to Manchester ...... once.

Careful there Bauble my friend :rolleyes: ...you may be mistaken for a bone fida Manchester United fan!! :lol: Despite classing myself as `Northern`, after recent events :eek: albeit brief, I understand the `away` bit of your comment :up: . There would always be the positive advantage of a race around Manchester, although the M60 outer ring road could never be used....always a hold up somewhere! :cry:

#35 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 21:06

I assume we ran you out of town as an effete southerner and you have never dared to return.

Edited by Sharman, 19 August 2011 - 21:07.

#36 MartLgn

MartLgn

• 150 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:07

I shall definitely be going to watch this, the sound of a 750bhp V8 should bounce nicely off the buildings along Deansgate. I am a fan of JB but part of me wishes it was Lewis doing this event, I'm sure he'd make much better use of the 'turning area' (doughnut circle) than Jensen will but I'm sure it will be a great way to spend the bank holiday.

Forum members may not be aware that Deansgate has been the venue for competitive motorsport for many years, I remember a particularly close contest twixt the lights between a BMW M3 and Honda Civic type R in the wee hours of Sunday a few years back!

#37 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:40

I shall definitely be going to watch this, the sound of a 750bhp V8 should bounce nicely off the buildings along Deansgate. I am a fan of JB but part of me wishes it was Lewis doing this event, I'm sure he'd make much better use of the 'turning area' (doughnut circle) than Jensen will but I'm sure it will be a great way to spend the bank holiday.

Forum members may not be aware that Deansgate has been the venue for competitive motorsport for many years, I remember a particularly close contest twixt the lights between a BMW M3 and Honda Civic type R in the wee hours of Sunday a few years back!

Long before M3s were thought of, and at a time Honda didn't make anything we had heard of, the evening rush hour along Deansgate was highly competitive. I once got a lift with St John Goddard (ex Manchester prop forward when Manchester Football Club was a Rugby Uniopn side to be reckoned with) in his Aston International. In a drag rac with something or other, the lights at the Markey Street end changed to green as we approached. I usually alighted there to join the old man for the trip home to Wilmslow. He just stuck one huge hand under my backside and pitched me (I weighed about 14/15 stone in those days) straight over the side into the road. His maniacal laugh demonstrated the Doppler Effect as he continued the dice in the direction of the Bury New Road.

Edited by Sharman, 20 August 2011 - 12:40.