Photo

1970s air-cooled Super Vee formula cars

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LouietheGreat

LouietheGreat

• 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:21

I have been working on the restoration of two Lola T252 aircooled super vee race cars. I am located in the Los Angeles Metropolitan area and I am a member of the Vintage Automobile Racing Association. While I have been active as a Formula Vee driver for over 20 years and more recently been an SCCA Formula First Driver I have had a keen interest in the old aircooled super vee class for many years. I have gathered a lot of data , parts and general knowledge of these race cars as part of a 15 year effort to restore my Lola super vees. I expect to complete the restoration of my first Lola next year and the other the following year.

Anyone out there who wants to share informatio please post your reply.

Lou LeBlanc. La Canada California

Advertisement

#2 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:47

I've just completed the restoration of the prototype Elden PRH14 Supervee. Here's a thread about it.

http://ccgi.alanmorg...topic.php?t=554

I run the Historic FF2000 Championship in the UK and we have an invitation class for air cooled Supervees. There are currently five cars in raceable condition over here.

#3 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:51

Very much of interest at ORC too:

http://www.oldracingcars.com/fsv/

#4 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,470 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:13

Just wondering if you chaps know if there are any examples of the Celi Supervee in this country?
I doubt it, as they were a Belgian marque which went out of business sometime before 1983. They had some wins in Europe but I never heard of them in the UK.

#5 ErleMin

ErleMin

• 94 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:26

Nope. The only Celis in the UK were (and still are) 2 Formula Vees - one raced and sold here by Joseph De Gheldere & the other, probably the ex-Franceschini car built up by Nick Wadham from a pile of bits. These were AC10s but you may know that there wasn't much to choose between chassis types 9s & 10, AC9 being a SuperVee. I think they were common to both so the type depended upon what Formula you used them for.
There is a Celi SuperVee (probably AC9 or 11) "racing" in Europe with the Historische Formel Vau Europa group.

#6 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,470 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:57

Nope. The only Celis in the UK were (and still are) 2 Formula Vees - one raced and sold here by Joseph De Gheldere & the other, probably the ex-Franceschini car built up by Nick Wadham from a pile of bits. These were AC10s but you may know that there wasn't much to choose between chassis types 9s & 10, AC9 being a SuperVee. I think they were common to both so the type depended upon what Formula you used them for.
There is a Celi SuperVee (probably AC9 or 11) "racing" in Europe with the Historische Formel Vau Europa group.

Thanks ErleMin. I don't really know anything about the chassis types & I only asked because Monsieur Celi once invited me to look around his abandoned workshop. He had retired or given up manufacture a few years earlier & his premises were a musty Aladdin's Cave of monocoques, wishbones, wheels, machines, spares, engines & even an engine dyno. I don't know why he hadn't sold it off. He quoted a possible horsepower figure for one of his engines that briefly had me thinking of installing it in a 2 litre sportscar but I doubt it would have worked.

#7 LouietheGreat

LouietheGreat

• 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 15:03

I've just completed the restoration of the prototype Elden PRH14 Supervee. Here's a thread about it.

http://ccgi.alanmorg...topic.php?t=554

I run the Historic FF2000 Championship in the UK and we have an invitation class for air cooled Supervees. There are currently five cars in raceable condition over here.