Photo

Jim Lee Racing Formula Renault

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PMac

PMac

• 88 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:18

I was alerted recently to the existence of a Formula Renault built by the late Jim Lee at Jim Lee Racing in Batley, in which he switched the gearbox through 180 degrees and thus moved the centre of gravity further towards the middle of the car. All is explained in this video:

Jim Lee Racing Formula Renault

The car is seen being tested by Scott Stringfellow at Oulton Park. The story continues that the car was subsequently deemed outside of the regs for the simple fact that it was "too radically different" to be allowed to race.

Does anyone have any evidence to suggest it was quicker as a result of this gearbox arrangement, and is the car still around today?

BTW, for those who knew Jim, this is a dear reminder of a lovely man who brought much joy and laughter to the often too-serious business of motorsport. Typical comment when his driver storms into the garage effing and blinding after a disappointing practice session: "Let's put pot on." No business could be undertaken without a nice cup of tea!

Edited by PMac, 18 August 2011 - 08:18.

Advertisement

#2 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:27

Fantastic! :up:

#3 BRG

BRG

• 25,893 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:47

Interesting. It would be harder to swop ratios though. I can't see why it would have been outside the regs unless the FR regs were very prescriptive. THis was when FR was a multi-chassis series, wasn't it, so surely some divergence of approach was allowed? Its value or not would be all about polar moments of inertia and that stuff wot I niver undestood, innit. So I leave that to more technical types.

Good to see the lovely Carol in her earlier years!

#4 PMac

PMac

• 88 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 19:55

Interesting. It would be harder to swop ratios though. I can't see why it would have been outside the regs unless the FR regs were very prescriptive. THis was when FR was a multi-chassis series, wasn't it, so surely some divergence of approach was allowed? Its value or not would be all about polar moments of inertia and that stuff wot I niver undestood, innit. So I leave that to more technical types.

Good to see the lovely Carol in her earlier years!

Yes, multi-chassis era. Looks like the rulebook didn't expressly forbid it, but the French didn't like it et, alors, c'est la vie. :|

#5 brakedisc

brakedisc

• 225 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:59

Fantastic. + 1

#6 Gatmo

Gatmo

• 270 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:19

JLR made their own Mantis FF1600 chassis and this looks like an extensively reworked model to say the least! The first Mantis appeared in 1988 when Alister Lane drove it at the Festival. I didn't know of this F Renault reincarnation, it was a shame it wasn't allowed into the series.

#7 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:37

I lived for many years near to Jim's place & only last month at the Goodwood FOS I had the opportunity to chat with recent Indy 500 winner Dan Wheldon about his time with JLR. "I loved that team!" is what Dan told me. :up:

#8 joepotts7

joepotts7

• 139 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:34

BTW, for those who knew Jim, this is a dear reminder of a lovely man who brought much joy and laughter to the often too-serious business of motorsport. Typical comment when his driver storms into the garage effing and blinding after a disappointing practice session: "Let's put pot on." No business could be undertaken without a nice cup of tea!

Jim was indeed a great character. Before the cars Jim was involved in racing motorcycles. Here is a nice video Jim made when he went to the IOM TT in 1970 with Mick Grant riding his JL Yamaha:
Jim Lee Yamaha 1970

There is also a Jim Lee racing Facebook group:
Jim Lee Racing Facebook group

Ben

#9 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 15:23

JLR made their own Mantis FF1600 chassis and this looks like an extensively reworked model to say the least! The first Mantis appeared in 1988 when Alister Lane drove it at the Festival. I didn't know of this F Renault reincarnation, it was a shame it wasn't allowed into the series.

There was also an FF2000 Mantis

#10 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 16:48

There is also a Jim Lee racing Facebook group:
Jim Lee Racing Facebook group

Been a member of that group for some while now. :up:

#11 brakedisc

brakedisc

• 225 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 15:44

Old age has crept up on me. I am sad to say that although I remember Jim and his race team I had forgotten all about the Mantis cars that he built.

I first met the man at Knockhill in 1985. He was testing the Reynard 85 FF with Richard Dean at the wheel. I was there with the Rotor JT3 driven by Stewart Roden. He told me about a project that he was working on which I think must have been the Mantis. We talked for ages about race car design and he was interested in my car. I had worked out (and so did every other FF designer) that getting more weight on to the front wheels might get the rock hard Dunlops to work. Reynard, Crossle and Van Dieman with the 84 had tried pushing the driver forward, using the space between the driver and the engine to fit the radiator but the rules were change on safety grounds to stop this and my solution was to "add" another bell housing and half a VW transaxle between engine and the Hewland MK9 box pushing the engine forward and hence more weight onto the front axle. I fabricated an oil tank to fit where the crown wheel and pinion should have been with the layshaft running through the centre. It was not the best of engineering but it sure was the cheapest.

I had never seen the finished car until today but it looks very "state of the art" for the time. The facebook link also shows his solution to getting more weight onto the front wheels, a fabricated bellhousing/spacer that he had made for his car. Jim was a very practical man, I remember being in awe of the VW LT transporter he had built and was using in 1985. Everything was packed away neatly and it was a fantastic little truck to get all the kit about. While other teams were wrestling with their awnings etc Jim was packed and away. Looking through the pictures on facebook also revealed that I had also forgotten that one of my mechanic heroes, Paul Haig, had worked with Jim before I met up with him at Madgewick Motorsport.

#12 Leighlaycock

Leighlaycock

• 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 17:48

I am Jim Lee's niece. It is lovely to hear the stories that you all have to tell about him. He was indeed a true gentleman :love: . I know that these posts are very old but if any of you would like to post more stories of your times with Jim I would love to hear them :up: . Alternatively you could contact me direct on Leigh.laycock@gmail.com Thank you  :clap: