Photo

VSCC Mallory Park 21 August 2011

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:39

The VSCC website says that the A447 is closed north of Hinckley. Another website says that Bosworth Road is closed from the A447 to Kirkby Mallory.

http://barlestone.le...arish-news.html

Are they the same incident and do they affect travel to Mallory from the A5?

Advertisement

#2 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:45

Roger

Bosworth Road is indeed closed, although the A447 seemed to be fine last week. Assuming that's still the case, drive along the A447 past Bosworth Road and continue for a couple of miles. You'll pass a quarry to the right, then take the next right (there are diversion signs in place). Continue to the first T-juntion, then turn tight and, 150 metres later, right again into the village of Newbold Verdon. Stay on that road for a few minutes and it brings you to a crossroads that intersects with Bosworth Road. Turn left for the main circuit , or continue straight over, then almost immediately left, for the paddock gate.

Hope to see you there,
SA

#3 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:36

Thanks Simon, hope to see you, too

#4 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:22

Should be an interesting day.

We are their with two Talbots, one of which is running wingless ,as it did in period,

Hope it rains but that's only a personnel opinion.

#5 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:24

The diversion is well signposted and scenic :)

PAR

#6 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:31

We are their with two Talbots, one of which is running wingless ,as it did in period,

Hope it rains but that's only a personnel opinion.

Contact Mallory Park John, specifically the personnel department their.  ;)

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:37

Their what? :p

#8 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:38

Their what? :p

Their Talbots. ;)

#9 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:40

Ah yes. :blush:

#10 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:13

It was close Tony!

There/Their ,Only excuse is that I was born in Fens so it's lucky I can get that close.

#11 john aston

john aston

• 2,695 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 18:17

Hampered by a bad back I enjoyed the event today- first trip to Mallory for must be 20++ years. Cars great but ...why is every circuit other than Cadwell being turned into a bloody building site ? Access to area beyond Gerards through rock hard mud, crappy spectator banks , no catering at all and p/a audible intermittently. Also realised I was watching at least three times further away than I remembered . I first visited the circuit for the 71 F2 race and sorry but it looked a damn sight better than now...Wont be rushing back- but I loved standing at Devils Elbow - every bit as good as ever.

Edited by john aston, 21 August 2011 - 18:17.

#12 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 19:33

Sorry to hear you had a mixed reaction to your visit, John. I managed to stand as close as ever in most places I visited although I agree that the outside of Gerards was disappointingly "off limits" as a result of works in progress. However, you would definitely be a lot further back there than you remember. Not sure about no catering: I had the usual excellent meal in the cafe.
Good meeting, I thought, and stumbled across a sizeable TNF contingent among the large crowd. A few snaps before the experts get here...
Posted Image
Longstone Tyres' supremo Dougal Cawley, Frazer Nash 'Piglet'
Posted Image
Alex Ames pressing on with Mr Ruston's Talbot
Posted Image
Gary Caroline (Morgan Super Aero) in the Vintage race
Posted Image
The Edwardian race was something else. Superb entry and spirited performances from all. Michael New, Leon Peugeot.
Posted Image
Brilliant value, as ever, Mark Walker (1907 GP Panhard)
Posted Image
David Biggins (Mercedes)

#13 h4887

h4887

• 936 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 19:51

It's a long time since I've been to a Vintage meeting, but I don't remember BGH23 looking like that...

#14 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 20:40

Sorry to hear you had a mixed reaction to your visit, John. I managed to stand as close as ever in most places I visited although I agree that the outside of Gerards was disappointingly "off limits" as a result of works in progress. However, you would definitely be a lot further back there than you remember. Not sure about no catering: I had the usual excellent meal in the cafe.
Good meeting, I thought, and stumbled across a sizeable TNF contingent among the large crowd. A few snaps before the experts get here...
Posted Image
Longstone Tyres' supremo Dougal Cawley, Frazer Nash 'Piglet'
Posted Image
Alex Ames pressing on with Mr Ruston's Talbot
Posted Image
Gary Caroline (Morgan Super Aero) in the Vintage race
Posted Image
The Edwardian race was something else. Superb entry and spirited performances from all. Michael New, Leon Peugeot.
Posted Image
Brilliant value, as ever, Mark Walker (1907 GP Panhard)
Posted Image
David Biggins (Mercedes)

How refreshing to see a series of photos with captions. Alan, thank you for taking the trouble.

Edited by D-Type, 21 August 2011 - 20:41.

#15 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 21:02

...and p/a audible intermittently.

I agree it was a shame that most of Marcus Pye's commentary was inaudible. The pit-lane mic of Russell Douglas was fine, but once he handed back to the commentary box, virtually nothing could be heard. I don't think the spectators were too impressed.

How refreshing to see a series of photos with captions. Alan, thank you for taking the trouble.

Too kind, Duncan :blush:

#16 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 21:43

With the amount of digging ongoing, I'm surprised that any of the 'comms cables have survived!

Great day out... but why does my SatNav send me a different route every time I visit? :mad: I knew the route like the back of my hand before the A50 came into being.

Photos to follow.

Good to meet the usual VSCC suspects and TNeffers from Norfolk too! :up:

#17 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 22:17

Composition- WRONG
Focus- WRONG
VSCC Mad World- partially captured.

:cool: Great day out today.

Posted Image

#18 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 22:18

It's a long time since I've been to a Vintage meeting, but I don't remember BGH23 looking like that...

More like this in Anthony Blight's day:

Posted Image

but in 1937/8 when Mike Couper raced it at Brooklands it looked much as it does today (photos 174, 179 & 180 in Anthony Blight's Book refer).

Edited by Allan Lupton, 21 August 2011 - 22:20.

#19 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 22:27

Posted Image

I seem to have about 400 shots like this from today, some days the photos just give themselves up; also managed to capture a fish being captured(!) and a swallow leaving the nest (not to mention a brace of Arrons).  ;)

Advertisement

#20 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:45

Anthony Blight had both noses and used them.The Couper Brooklands set up and conventional early 30's ,Rally nose.

They are interchangeable.

Michael Strasoldo who has owned BGH 23 for past five years prefers the Brooklands nose.

Le Mans Classic organisers will only accept normal nose so it is changed only for that.

Rest of car is same.The only other change since the Blight days is that original boot lid has been fitted.

Thanks for Talbot pic .Now need one of other car without wings AYL 2 .Interested to see what it looked like.

#21 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:44

Anthony Blight had both noses and used them.The Couper Brooklands set up and conventional early 30's ,Rally nose.

They are interchangeable.

Thanks for clarification - I thought as much, but didn't know.

#22 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:05

Now need one of other car without wings AYL 2 .Interested to see what it looked like.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Will these do, John? Gareth was having some fun dicing with Stephen Shoosmith in the Bugatti 51. Who'd have thought it? A Talbot 105 in the Bob Gerard Trophy :)

#23 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:12

Thanks Alan

It raced at Brooklands,BRDC 500 in that form although it had a streamline nose.

Although correct these noses look odd in my opinion .The AYL special nose is even crazier than BGH23's.

Understand from Gareth it was good fun for seventh overall and second Pre War car home.

Seems we may do it again.

#24 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:36

Mind over matter? :)

Posted Image

#25 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:39

Posted Image

#26 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:12

Posted Image

#27 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:30

A gallery of almost 200 of my pics from the Mallory Park Vintage meeting yesterday.
You can view even if you 'don't do' Facebook. If you get a message box pop up saying 'log-in', simply click
'cancel' and carry on viewing. Great meeting!

http://www.facebook....2...5fdd&type=1

#28 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 13:20

Posted Image
Calm before the first scratch race.

Posted Image
View from three feet to the left of Pete Taylor: Alex Ames (Talbot 105) chases Neil Twyman's Alfa 8C.

Posted Image
Richard Black (Panhard-Levassor) might be slicing down the inside of Charles Gillett's Frazer Nash, but probably isn't.

Posted Image
William Nuthall in the ex-Bob Gerard Cooper Bristol.

Posted Image
Simon Kelleway (Riley Sprite).

Posted Image
Does anybody know whether sand martins nest in the bank adjacent to the Stebbe Straight? Frank Hernandez (Austin Streamliner) passes by.

Posted Image
de Dion Bouton slipstreamer.

Posted Image
Tim Llewellyn (Cooper Mk6).

Posted Image
Xavier Kingsland tries to coax a bit more speed from his Staride MkIII.

Posted Image
Jonathan Harmer (Cooper Bristiol T23).

Posted Image
Nick Leston (Lovell Elkhart sprint racer).

Posted Image
Somebody isn't paying full attention...

#29 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 13:48

I think you can tell from Simon's photos that the meeting scored high points for entertainment.

Results here:
http://www.theresult...t/VSCC_0821.pdf

#30 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 14:11

Posted Image
Meant to add this one, too: Simon Armer (Cooper T59).

#31 Gatmo

Gatmo

• 270 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 16:38

I'll provide a Sand Martin update tomorrow after a closer inspection of said area on Stebbe Straight unless anyone wants me to nip back to work after i've had my dinner tonight? :)

#32 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 16:41

Simon,

I saw a programme about Sand Martins recently where an artificial bank had been built to encourage nesting; I think that bank at Mallory is newly built but it would be an ideal site.

Here is a Swallow leaving the Mallory office building, probably the hardest shot of the day!

Posted Image

Here is a man landing a fish in the Mallory lake.

Posted Image

Here is a brace of Arrons, not paying attention.

Posted Image

I'll spare you the shot of the ice-cream van and the flowers!  ;)

#33 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 16:47

An excellent day in what turned out to be hot sun and all of you took some quite exceptionally high quality photographs.
The variety there yesterday is what made it very memorable.

I took some film for a short piece of the action at the October film show.

............A rare shot above of a couple of Arrons in their natural habitat, more usually to be found on aircraft or in luxury air conditioned press suites at current GP venues! :wave:

Edited by RTH, 22 August 2011 - 17:40.

#34 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 19:14

Incontinence! This car spread all kinds of fluids around the track, adding to the excitement at the hairpin for some of the novice drivers (and a few of the old hands too!).

Posted Image

#35 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 19:53

Rest of car is same.The only other change since the Blight days is that original boot lid has been fitted.

Posted Image
Only a tiny change but I notice the aerodynamic mirror on the car at Mallory since I took this picture at Donington in 2005

David

#36 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 20:18

Incontinence! This car spread all kinds of fluids around the track, adding to the excitement at the hairpin for some of the novice drivers (and a few of the old hands too!).

Les Leston's son Nick at the wheel......

#37 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 18:32

I thought that the trike demo was brilliant.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#38 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 14:06

David.
That the original streamline mirror as 37/38.

Normal mirror is with conventional set up.

Interesting photo with Gareth Burnett ,Pace Products Motorsport,kneeling down ,who has looked after all works Talbot 105's for past ten years and mine before that ,with Ian Polson ,the other Talbot man on same print!

#39 Gav Astill

Gav Astill

• 239 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:25

I'm ashamed to say it was the first time I have ever been to Mallory - it will certainly not be the last

Absolutely loved the atmos that a 'little' circuit like this gives. It really encapsulated the true spirit of the VSCC in my view, and they should concentrate on meetings like this rather than pretending that they are up to promoting prestige events like 'See Red'.

Can't believe that they ran British Superbikes at Mallory until this year. It must have been frenetic stuff!

Advertisement

#40 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 16:08

It really encapsulated the true spirit of the VSCC in my view, and they should concentrate on meetings like this rather than pretending that they are up to promoting prestige events like 'See Red'.

Prestige meetings make money, allowing "proper" events like Mallory to be run :)

#41 Gav Astill

Gav Astill

• 239 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 16:37

Prestige meetings make money, allowing "proper" events like Mallory to be run :)

As a VSCC member I would be interested to know what profit / loss we made at Donington See Red this year....... perhaps a discussion for another forum.

#42 eurocardoc

eurocardoc

• 157 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 16:45

Always loved Mallory since my first trip back in 67-68? Lot of good memories too with racers like Russell Wood, Tony Brise, Chris Meek and more doing well in cars prepped by me.

love all these photos and the other Mallory thread, if I ever get back to Blighty, you will see me at Mallory!

#43 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 17:25

As a VSCC member I would be interested to know what profit / loss we made at Donington See Red this year....... perhaps a discussion for another forum.

You'll note I carefully avoided mentioning See Red :)

#44 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 17:39

I've yet to hear a cogent explanation of how Pembrey replaced Oulton Park on this year's calendar (as have the rest of the Northern VSCC members).
It remains to be seen how many bother to make the trek to that dreary airfield.

#45 john aston

john aston

• 2,695 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 18:06

I'm ashamed to say it was the first time I have ever been to Mallory - it will certainly not be the last

Absolutely loved the atmos that a 'little' circuit like this gives. It really encapsulated the true spirit of the VSCC in my view, and they should concentrate on meetings like this rather than pretending that they are up to promoting prestige events like 'See Red'.

Can't believe that they ran British Superbikes at Mallory until this year. It must have been frenetic stuff!

Never mind superbikes a full field of Formula 5000s certainly caught the attention ...

#46 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 18:25

I've yet to hear a cogent explanation of how Pembrey replaced Oulton Park on this year's calendar (as have the rest of the Northern VSCC members).
It remains to be seen how many bother to make the trek to that dreary airfield.

There was a lot about it on the VSCC forum which I can't summarise except to say that I think it boiled down to economics at OP.
As for Pembrey it is a long way from everywhere but I'm told it's less awful than it was when I had to go there for a Jaguar DC Relay in the 1980s

#47 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:56

You'll note I carefully avoided mentioning See Red :)

Which VSCC prestige meetings were you referring to?

#48 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:54

April Silverstone and the annual Prescott, I suppose. At some points in history Oulton Park and, yes, Donington See Red as well.

My point was that the friendly and intimate clubbies don't make money, and would not be held if there weren't bigger meetings making a profit to subsidise their losses

#49 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 19:41

It always has been a super little circuit. You should have seen it when they ran F2 there, or Aurora F1 or F5000...dizzy laps! Or the massive crowds for Stirling Moss' comeback in the BTCC in 1980. A lot of the greats raced in those F2 events, I recall Ronnie Peterson nearly taking my head off, when he crashed at the Esses.

#50 Gav Astill

Gav Astill

• 239 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:29

It always has been a super little circuit. You should have seen it when they ran F2 there, or Aurora F1 or F5000...dizzy laps! Or the massive crowds for Stirling Moss' comeback in the BTCC in 1980. A lot of the greats raced in those F2 events, I recall Ronnie Peterson nearly taking my head off, when he crashed at the Esses.

The thought of F5000 at Mallory caused me to have to sit down with a hot sweet drink....

Is there any film generally available on DVD of F5000 / Shellsport Gp8 / Aurora F1 at Mallory (or other British circuits for that matter)?.

Edited by Gav Astill, 29 August 2011 - 09:55.