Photo

Alex Trebek narrates 1967 Canadian GP film!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 373 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 15:32

If people think this should go in the "Unearthed on Youtube" thread I apologize but I didn't want this to get buried there.

In the late sixties/early seventies our father used to take us to the Toronto Sportsman's Show which was held at the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) grounds (now the site of the Toronto Indycar race) each year around February or March. At one of these shows one of the displays showed a movie of the 1967 Canadian Grand Prix. It was made by Players, the race sponsor. It was an awesome film but I had never seen any sign of it since.

Then today while I was just surfing looking for photos from that race I came across a site that had the beginning portion of that very film. Pleased as I was, what really astonished me was that the film is narrated by Alex Trebek! Now there are no credits to confirm this but there is no way you can tell me that this voice is not his. (He was hosting high school quiz show Reach for the Top on CBC around that time.) Of course when I saw this film so many years ago it was over a decade before he became famous hosting Jeopardy.

The site where I found the film clip referenced Youtube so I went there and searched on 1967 Canadian Grand Prix. (I'd done this before with little result but it must have been quite a while ago now.) This time I found four film clips, two were the same short clips from the beginning that I saw at the other site but one was a longer clip from the beginning of the film and the other starts somewhere in the beginning and goes to the end. There is content missing between these two clips but I don't know how much.

This is the beginning clip:

This is the ending clip:

Does anyone else remember this film and does anyone know if and where it can be found today in its entirety?

Bob Mackenzie

Advertisement

#2 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 16:23

Can't help you; but $10,000 for 1st Place. Man how times have changed!

#3 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 373 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:05

The entire film is available here:

http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=8893

#4 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,704 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 21:42

Thanks for that, very enjoyable.

#5 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 975 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 23:58

TYVM for posting that link, Bob. I most satisfying vid.

Can you believe the almost complete lack of Armco around Mosport? Changed alot by the time we went novice.

#6 slucas

slucas

• 74 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 16:04

Can you believe the almost complete lack of Armco around Mosport? Changed alot by the time we went novice.
[/quote]

My old Dad raced there with his sports racer the first or second club event. Never went back there to race as it was so dangerous. Wife, three kids, mortage, job, all added up to his decission. So many places on the track that an off coarse detour meant you were going over a cliff. Then there was catch fencing...