Photo

Anyone who knew Keith Fisher - Aust mechanic 1977

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Eshe

Eshe

• 130 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:58

While sorting out some car insurance today, I was assisted by a young lady and our discussion about insuring classic cars led to her telling me that she is trying to find out more about her father's motor racing involvement. Her father is the late Keith Fisher (William Keith Fisher) and she is aware that he worked as a mechanic for Peter Molloy at the time of the Moffat/Bond 1-2 at Bathurst in 1977. Keith passed away about 4 years later, and his daughter would love to know more about what he did, and with any luck, maybe find some photos of him doing his work.

Does anyone on the forum remember Keith - maybe some anecdotes or pictures? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,266 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 13:15

He was known as 'Mumbles'...

Well-connected in the Sydney circles, I think he actually worked for John Malcolm Motors, but 'moonlighted' with various race crews and travelled broadly with them.

I'm not sure if he's the same 'Mumbles' Frank Gardner tells of lighting the waste in the urinal in New Zealand.

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,266 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 13:44

I've found the brief obituary in Racing Car News...

It reads (in full):

The death occurred suddenly in Sydney on September 20 of Keith Fisher, one of Australia's most capable race engine builders. Keith, 33, worked for several years with Peter Molloy and was largely responsible for the Ford engines that brought Allan Moffat and Colin Bond their famous 1 - 2 victory in the 1977 "Hardie Ferodo 1000". As a boy, Keith had made up his mind to be a mechanic and in 1963, he was apprenticed to John Malcolm. Keith moved around a bit, as mechanics will, working with Mick Martin, Peter Molloy, Ron Spinks and most recently Ron Gillard. Keith had the quiet, unassuming personality of a craftsman who knows his job, does it thoroughly, but doesn't make a fuss about it. I'm proud to have had Keith as a mate and a drinking partner, and we were together, in fact, when he was struck suddenly and without warning by a cerebral haemorrhage. I know I speak for his vast number of friends when I extend sincere sympathies to his parents, and to Lynne and their daughter, Carlie.

Max Stahl

There's a good list of names there of people with whom Keith associated. He was a regular, I can also tell you, at the Horsepower Hotel of a Wednesday night when we used to gather there in the mid-seventies.

Ron Gillard can be found in Ballina, where he still runs a tuning business. Max Stahl can be contacted via myself, I also have Peter Molloy's phone number.

By the way, the obituary was in the October issue of 1980.

Edited by Ray Bell, 25 August 2011 - 13:53.

#4 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 18:54

Great work Ray :up:

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,266 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:02

Just spoke to Max Stahl, he's happy to receive e.mail or phone call from Carlie (I assume it's Carlie?), so if she can just e.mail me (as below) I will put her in touch...

No problem, cheapie... I used to enjoy conversation with Keith and it really surprises me to learn he was younger than me!

#6 Eshe

Eshe

• 130 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:33

Ray,

Your assumption that I spoke to Carlie is correct. Hopefully we can put Carlie in contact with a few of the people who worked closely with her father over the years. I have passed your contact details on, and Carlie also has the link to this thread.

The Horsepower Hotel - where was that?

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,266 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 20:00

Near Central Station...

I don't remember the real name of the pub, I'm not a pub person.

#8 gkennedy

gkennedy

• 193 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 23:06

Near Central Station...

I don't remember the real name of the pub, I'm not a pub person.

I'm not either, but I went there a few times (Wed. nights, I think were the motorsport times to go) back in the late '60s early '70s, when it was officially the Wentworth Hotel (no relation to THE Wentworth up in Phillip St) but unofficially the 'Horsepower'. It's on the corner of Campbell and Elizabeth Sts. opposite where the City Circle line runs from Central Station into the underground. It's now known as the 'Triple Ace Bar'. You should remember TAB Tommy, Ray - Tommy Trinder, he was a regular, and at the time, wrote a few umm.. poems in RCN.

#9 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,667 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 00:18

Would that book "The Allan Moffat scapbook" have any photos from memory that book had a number of photos of the /77 season in it.

#10 Carlieshae

Carlieshae

• 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:20

Hi Guys,

I cannot thank you enough for your help with this, like most dads although i barely knew him he still meant the world to me and he has a granddaughter now that wants to know all about him. I know he had lots of friends in the racing field and that Max was with him when he collapsed and never woke again. Just getting the chance to talk to him is unexplainable.

I will be forever grateful to you all for this and hope that someday i can return the favor somehow.

All the best for now

Carlie

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,266 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:25

Someone, I guess someone here, has told Peter Molloy that Carlie is on her personal quest to learn more about her father...

He's quite happy to provide her with more information and stories, so I'm sure she'll be happy with that. By tomorrow I fully expect she'll be in direct contact with a number of people who can help her (and her daughter) learn more about Keith.

Other people I think she should be talking to include:

Andy Hanwright (sp?)
Barry Carr
Graham Mewburn

Isn't it strange that in the past few weeks we've had a call via this forum for contacts from the distant past as two people have sought more information about relatives lost relating to the sport?

If we can help these people achieve their goals, this forum is doing some good that was never expected of it!

Edited by Ray Bell, 30 August 2011 - 10:40.

#12 seldo

seldo

• 2,603 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 14:59

Someone, I guess someone here, has told Peter Molloy that Carlie is on her personal quest to learn more about her father...

He's quite happy to provide her with more information and stories, so I'm sure she'll be happy with that. By tomorrow I fully expect she'll be in direct contact with a number of people who can help her (and her daughter) learn more about Keith.

Other people I think she should be talking to include:

Andy Hanwright (sp?)
Barry Carr
Graham Mewburn

Isn't it strange that in the past few weeks we've had a call via this forum for contacts from the distant past as two people have sought more information about relatives lost relating to the sport?

If we can help these people achieve their goals, this forum is doing some good that was never expected of it!

I knew Keith well, and co-incidentally, I spent an enjoyable few hours with both Andy and Barry at Mt Morgan a week or so past. Andy now lives at Coogee?, but I don't have a contact number

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,266 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 19:42

That's okay, David...

I'll pass on your number too, if that's okay, I have Andy's and Barry's for her. Thanks for reminding me that you were also an occasional at the Horsepower.