Photo

1950s style race numbers

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 706 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:59

I recall a discussion about where to obtain race numbers in a more "period" style than those available from the usual sources. I can't find it from a search so at the risk of repeating a previously answered question, does anyone know of a supplier of such?

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:03

Difficult because in the 50s virtually all race numbers were hand painted and the style was in the hands of the painter.

#3 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 706 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:39

I do appreciate that and if were any good as a signwriter I'd do it myself. However I do recall there is a supplier of numbers with a more old fashioned type face than those I can get from Demon Tweaks and the like. Just wish I could remember who it is.....

#4 Louism

Louism

• 86 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:50

Difficult because in the 50s virtually all race numbers were hand painted and the style was in the hands of the painter.

As an exemple at Le Mans 24 Hours 1961 with an Ace Bristol...

Posted Image

#5 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 14:21

By 1958 or so you could buy stick on plastic numbers.

#6 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 14:34

Duchy,
I am afraid you are just going to have to learn to use a steady hand, and a paint brush if you want a period look on your car. Oh! And a Simpson crash hat to complete the look.

Dump the fire proof undies and buy a nice polo shirt as well, and I'll be proud to take your picture (wedding photography a speciality).

Cheers,

bauble ( Don't we have a Bond between us?)

#7 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 14:42

Isn't the skill of those '50s/'60s signwriters something to marvel at (witness the chap in Louism's fine photo)?

#8 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 14:54

Isn't the skill of those '50s/'60s signwriters something to marvel at (witness the chap in Louism's fine photo)?

Certainly! Though I'm really not sure what Dutchy is after - the numbers on that AC are very French in outline.

#9 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 706 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 15:10

Duchy,
I am afraid you are just going to have to learn to use a steady hand, and a paint brush if you want a period look on your car. Oh! And a Simpson crash hat to complete the look.

Dump the fire proof undies and buy a nice polo shirt as well, and I'll be proud to take your picture (wedding photography a speciality).

Cheers,

bauble ( Don't we have a Bond between us?)

Bauble,

Simpson or Herbert Johnson?

I thought Simpson were those Darth Vader things that were popular a year or five back.

I'm afraid you've missed the wedding!

Cheers
Dutchy

#10 Louism

Louism

• 86 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 15:15

Dutchy, they are all pulling your leg but you are right...

Another exemple made in 2008 at Le Mans Classic. We stuck first a circular cream coloured and then it was hand painted.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Roger are they also French in outline ? :)

#11 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,202 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 15:47

If he'd been able to keep the paint from his frock, I'd be ready to start marvelling...

#12 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 16:32

Certainly! Though I'm really not sure what Dutchy is after - the numbers on that AC are very French in outline.

I also note that the car is matriculated in the Haute Garonne, whose was it?

#13 Louism

Louism

• 86 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 16:51

I also note that the car is matriculated in the Haute Garonne, whose was it?

24 Hours of Le Mans 1961
AC Ace Bristol #BEX 1110 entered by Chardonnet (AC disributor for France) and driven by Magne/Alexandrovitch finishing 17th overall.

Yes it was registered in Toulouse, may be something to see with Magne...

#14 WillHenderson

WillHenderson

• 29 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 17:29

If you can supply artwork or identify a style any sign company with a vinyl cutting machine will be able to cut numbers. It would fairly easy to draw up artwork for a vinyl cutter and recreate any number style, based on numbers on a car in a period photo.

#15 Louism

Louism

• 86 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 17:50

If you can supply artwork or identify a style any sign company with a vinyl cutting machine will be able to cut numbers. It would fairly easy to draw up artwork for a vinyl cutter and recreate any number style, based on numbers on a car in a period photo.

Still different from the matt and brush finish of the hand painting...

#16 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 18:04

with a vinyl cutting machine

I've got one of those but I'm afraid that A.4 size is the biggest I can do.

#17 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 20:11

Roger are they also French in outline ? :)

No.

#18 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 22:13

As a sign painter of over 500 race cars from 1976 through the '80s, I'd be happy to help guide anyone wanting authenticity in their lettering styles.

The easiest way for a non-artist to recreate this would be to have a photograph, re-draw the line art in Adobe Illustrator or the like, have a sign shop cut masking frisket, hand-paint the numbers using lettering flat brushes, and carefully remove the frisket after dry for a couple days (by pulling the mask away from the painted number, never towards it!!!).

Here's in the States, the paint to use is called "One Shot sign enamel," and the thinner I pre-mixed with the paint, and then strained, was called "Edge." The trick is to thin it enough to flow and reduce brush marks, but not over-thin or use the wrong — or too fast-drying — thinner that can dramatically weaken the paint and prevent flow out. The slower it dries, the better, and the far more durable. If done right, people will insist it was sprayed on.

PM me if I can help, no charge for advice. My interest is in seeing more old graphics looking old and proper. With all the vintage cars around these days, I'm considering a return to the brush.

Edited by E1pix, 26 August 2011 - 22:15.