Photo

1963 Monza Coppa Intereuropa and Torino hill climb

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jake Alderson

Jake Alderson

• 71 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 16:22

I am seeking information on the 2 Morgans that participated in the Coppa Intereuropa, particularly a source of photographs.
One was driven by Chris Lawrence, and the other by Carroll Smith. I have the Autosport report.
Carroll told me the one he drove belonged to a British architect living in Rome.
He also mentioned he drove it at a hill climb near Torino too, winning its class to everyone's amazement.
Can anyone advise as to this hill climb?
thanks
Jake Alderson

Advertisement

#2 richardspringett

richardspringett

• 211 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:28

In the 60`s there must have been many hill climbs around Torino!

The only one that springs to mind is/was the Cesana-Sestiere; still run to-day as a retro.

Good luck Richard

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:57

I've found a reference in La Stampa to Smith coming fourth in a Morgan in the 2500cc sports car class at Cesana-Sestriere on July 28th 1963. Nothing else in 1962, 1963 or 1964 though.

#4 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 15:02

I am seeking information on the 2 Morgans that participated in the Coppa Intereuropa, particularly a source of photographs.
One was driven by Chris Lawrence, and the other by Carroll Smith. I have the Autosport report.
Carroll told me the one he drove belonged to a British architect living in Rome.
He also mentioned he drove it at a hill climb near Torino too, winning its class to everyone's amazement.
Can anyone advise as to this hill climb?
thanks
Jake Alderson

Jake , as I'm reading at the moment 'Morgan Maverick' by Chris Lawrence,I remember well a photo of the Coppa Intereuropa. Showing (photo is not pro-quality) XRX1 and TOK258 in the starting grid , page 83 of the a.m. book. But I think the Coppa participation was in 1962 NOT'63??
Hope it helps a little bit

Regards Michael

Edited by Tuboscocca, 01 September 2011 - 15:05.

#5 Jake Alderson

Jake Alderson

• 71 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 15:19

I've found a reference in La Stampa to Smith coming fourth in a Morgan in the 2500cc sports car class at Cesana-Sestriere on July 28th 1963. Nothing else in 1962, 1963 or 1964 though.

That must be it as Carroll only mentioned two Morgan drives. Thanks for the info. Just need to find photographs now!
Jake Alderson