Photo

Mike Shoesmith (Marigold Norton)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 magnum45

magnum45

• 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:04

I'm Mike Shoesmith's son in law and as a surprise to Mike i'm looking for racing stories - Photo's of this racers career. Any help/contacts appreciated thanks gary. :clap:

Advertisement

#2 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:37

I'm Mike Shoesmith's son in law and as a surprise to Mike i'm looking for racing stories - Photo's of this racers career. Any help/contacts appreciated thanks gary. :clap:

Wasn't Lancashire's Mick Noblett also associated with the Marigold Norton?

Or am I getting my Mikes and Micks mixed?

From another Mick. :confused: :D

#3 Mick Robinson

Mick Robinson

• 271 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:58

I think it was just Mike Shoesmith who raced the Marigold Norton, I remember having a right battle with him at Lydden in 1975, Mike on his Norton and myself on a 250 TD2B Yamaha, I think I won but in fairness the Yam was far more nimble than the Norton.
Unfortunately I have no photos of Mike but my old mate Roger Winfield may have as he regularly raced against Mike.

#4 greg1953

greg1953

• 430 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 13:42

Mick Noblett was a Croft regular and took the outright lap record ( 1min 11.7 if I remember correctly ) on an ex works Suzuki triple, late 70s or early 80s.
Greg

#5 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 14:02

Mick Noblett was a Croft regular and took the outright lap record ( 1min 11.7 if I remember correctly ) on an ex works Suzuki triple, late 70s or early 80s.
Greg

Mick Noblett-Viking Norton with the 'unusual' exhaust system

HW

#6 Mick Robinson

Mick Robinson

• 271 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 17:22

I reckon Picblanc could be the man for Mike Shoesmith pics, I know he was taking shots back in 1975 at Brands, what ya reckon Graham ?

#7 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 17:37

Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge.

Edited by picblanc, 03 September 2011 - 17:38.

#8 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 17:39

Posted Image

Edited by picblanc, 03 September 2011 - 17:39.

#9 greg1953

greg1953

• 430 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 19:16

Posted Image

Phil Carpenter No.16 ?

#10 dommieracer

dommieracer

• 216 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 19:20

Posted Image

Blimey, no Elf and Dafty gravel traps! Good time shot.

#11 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 19:39

Phil Carpenter No.16 ?

Correct Greg. :up:

#12 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 21:09

At club a nationals in the early seventies he would often clean up with those Marigolds.

#13 magnum45

magnum45

• 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:15

Many thank you guys for taking the time and trouble in replying, especially (picblanc for photo's) and Mick Robinson for info on Roger Winfield. In regards to Roger i talked with Mavis Shoesmith, Mike's wife yesterday who was often at race meets and she remembers Roger with kind regards. Mike has often mentioned his racing days and friends of that era and would like to reconnect. I have seen several photo's of Mike's Norton which may be possible to upload for those who are interested. Mike has been made up with the info already got from the internet (another forums) and will be doubly made up from the replies plus pics here :stoned: :up: Any more info/contacts gratefully received, many thank you's
Gary :cat:

#14 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 21:37

At club a nationals in the early seventies he would often clean up with those Marigolds.

Been worse lines on here.

#15 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 17:49

Been worse lines on here.

:lol: :rotfl: :lol: , I get it , Russ :up:

#16 CaptainSlog

CaptainSlog

• 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 17:31

:lol: :rotfl: :lol: , I get it , Russ :up:

I remember Mike very well. He was very fast and very determined. It wasn't unknown for him to fall off, but he always seemed to be able to bounce up, seemingly unhurt. I remember one race in particular at Brands where we got away together in midfield. I knew he was faster than me but I tried to hang on as long as possible. We came across the finish line at the end of the first lap with me in his slipstream. As we approached Paddock I started to wonder when he was going to brake. Eventually I lost my bottle, but Mike carried on. It turned out I made the right decision as he lost it at the top of the hill and smacked into the straw bales pretty hard. What I hadn't thought about was that his leathers and helmet were very similar to mine. This was one of the few meetings that my mother ever came to and she was spectating at the exact spot where he hit the bales. She almost had kittens when she saw a 750 Norton and rider hurtling towards her along the ground, thinking it was me. Needless to say everythng turned out OK. Mike emerged from under the bales, shook himself down and walked away.

A great competitor.

#17 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 23:07

Nice story & welcome to forum. :wave: