• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 20:51

I can't match Barry with his Connew story...but here's my yarn:

The Kuga Kart

I started karting in the mid seventies, shortly after getting married. I had previously had brief forays into Autocross and Autotests, and was looking for a cheap form of competitive motor sport to have a go at before a family came along. I thought about karts…

I had been to see karting at the Long Marston circuit near Tring in the early 60s. Stirling Moss had appeared in a Keele kart with a Bultaco engine. Even back then the “go” had been dropped from the sport’s name…but still the unknowing public insists on adding that prefix!

So I went to a meeting at Little Rissington and see how it had changed. It was raining heavily. I thought the 210 National gearbox class might suit me, so I watched carefully. One bloke was half a lap ahead of all the others. He seems good, I thought, and looked in the programme....No. 44, Dale Falcon Villiers, driven by Nigel Mansell.

Over the winter I scoured Karting Magazine for a suitable machine. A 250- International at bargain basement price caught my eye…a Zip Silverstone with Merlin Rotary Valve engine. A bit of research revealed that Chris Merlin had concocted this engine and won the British Championship with it a few years earlier. It was a Villiers 9E with a square barrel like a Greeves Griffon, and a special right hand crankshaft half housing a disc valve like the 100cc karts had: a design going back to MZ 2 stroke racing bikes, I think. It had Tillotson carbs, the sort that have a diaphragm to pump the fuel using crankcase pressure pulses, and were used on chainsaws because they work upside down. This particular engine had had the Villiers 4 speed box replaced by an Albion 5 speeder, and had competed in the Snetterton 9 hour race on at least one occasion. By then, however, it was no longer a really competitive machine, despite being capable of around 120mph. Suzuki twins were the thing to have that year.

Although out of date and a bit tatty, my Zip Merlin offered a pretty hairy introduction to karting for a novice like me. Off I went to Shenington, where Eric Mansell (father of The Famous One) was scrutineer. Strangely, he tested everything by standing on the front bumper and observing what wobbled. Most mysterious.

Anyway, I did my 4 novice races, always starting at the back of the grid as the rules dictated for novices. And so I came to my first race on my 250 as a novice no more. Yellow number plates instead of black ones. Grid positions for the heats were by ballot...and I drew pole position! Only having previously experienced tail end grid positioning, here I was on the front row amid the old hands. Despite my tenseness, I got away quite well, only for the race to be stopped because a fair proportion of the field had crashed into the straw bales on the first corner, behind me.

After the St John ambulance men had done some enthusiastic bandaging, the race was restarted, with me on pole again. This time I stalled. I waved my arms in the air furiously while the field screamed past. When the 2 stroke haze had dispersed, revealing my stationary condition, a chap in yellowy gold leathers, who had been spectating while waiting for his 210 national race, ran out into the track to assist. Yes, it was NIGE!
He pushed me and the Zip Merlin. I was anxious to get going and dropped the clutch too early. Mansell nearly went A over T. "Let the bloody thing get rolling!" he shouted at me.

After a few races I realised it would make more sense to run in the 210 National class, so a suitable engine with Upton aluminium barrel was purchased and bolted to the Zip instead of the Merlin. I have a programme that proves that I competed in the same race as Mansell in 210N, but I must admit I don’t recall giving him too much to worry about…

By now the Zip was getting very tired. It had a few battle scars when I got it, and I had already added some more. By this time 99% of karts at any meeting were factory built, but I had a noticed that a chap called Paul Klaassen raced a kart called a Crusader at Shenington, which appeared to be a one off. This prompted me into thinking I would have a go at designing and building a kart of my own. I bought one of those sets of plans that Dale Karts sold to make your own Falcon like Mansell’s, but I just used them to copy the king pin geometry. The rest of the chassis’s design philosophy was based on the idea that no tube would have more than one bend in it, so it couldn’t be made on the wrong place! Reynolds 531 tubing was purchased from Dale karts, and bent for me by a certain George Brown in Linslade. (I wondered whether this could have been the George Brown of Super Nero motor cycle fame, but later research suggests it was not).

I now had a partner in this venture. This was my friend Keith Newman, who like me, was a Pressed Steel Fisher (later British Leyland) student apprentice at Cowley. Keith did his HND in Mechanical Engineering a year behind me at Oxford Polytechnic. One of his classmates was Adrian Reynard, who built his first Formula Ford car as his college project, with Keith’s assistance. When we started the kart project, we went to see Adrian at his original tiny, Sabre Automotive premises. He expressed some interest in helping, if we were to set out on a production venture, and said we should come back and see him when we were a bit further on. So after all the bending, filing and jig manufacture had been done, we went to find him to see about welding the pieces together. He was away, though, but one of his fabricators talked to us and offered to complete the work at his cottage. We took him up on this, and were glad we did, because the man was an absolute artist. We now had, not a pile of tubes, but DAB kart chassis 001 with absolutely immaculate nickel bronze welded joints. The welder’s name is lost to me in the mists of time, but I would love to know what he went on to do…

Progress was disrupted at this point, when I moved to Lancashire to take a job in the design office of Leyland Truck and Bus. The DAB 001 was completed for the 1977 season, however, and I competed with very limited success at Morecambe, Longridge, Rowrah, Fulbeck and Oulton Park. Problems were mainly to do with the engine or the driver, but the kart tended to understeer badly into the corners, then snap to oversteer on the exit. At the time I thought this was because the chassis was too stiff, but in retrospect I’m sure it was because I refused to replace the Continental slicks I had on the front until they were worn out. They never did wear out: they might as well have been made of wood…the level of grip would have been similar. I did always seem to go better in the wet, which I always put down to my natural skill rather than the fact that I had a decent set of hand cut wet tyres!

DAB 001

Posted Image

While I was contemplating with what I might have done better with my kart design, a new chap arrived at the Leyland Truck and Bus design office in the form of David Little. We soon got talking, since he had been a leading light in the very active Kart Club at Loughborough University. He had raced more successfully than me, with both Blow and Barlotti 210N karts. Rowrah was the track most local to his home, and here he had had numerous wins and given the late David Leslie a run for his money on several occasions.

David Little was now racing a Zip Mirage in 201N, but was keen to be involved with my latest design ideas. DBL Racing Developments was born to build not one, but a whole series of karts! (DBL = Davids Beard & Little). DL was content to let me have free rein on the design front, so long as we had a more glamorous and marketable name for the product than “DAB” (my initials). Hence the name Kuga emerged, long before Ford adopted it for their silly 4 x 4!

The design philosophy for the Kuga was as follows:

1. The chassis was to be torsionally as flexible as possible, but with a stiff rear end.
I don’t quite recall the reasoning behind these criteria at the time. To achieve them we had a very narrow wasted section in the chassis, and two cross members under the rear axle with a centre bearing. In retrospect, the centre bearing may have been a bad idea in terms of power loss…
We actually drew out the Zip Mirage, and put both it and the Kuga shape through an early Finite Element structural analysis program to see if we had got what we wanted.

2. Ease of manufacture was to be a consideration.
Where as the DAB001 had only one bend per tube, we got more adventurous here and had several. However, we thought things would be simpler if the bends were always in one plane. i.e the main members were flat and not sloping upwards towards the king pin. This decision had a major effect on the design of the front end

3. The front end geometry was to be multi-adjustable
I suppose the major advantage of this was that if we hadn’t got it right we would be able to change it. Anyway, the Kuga front end was the most significant part of the design. We had an aluminium upright into which the stub axle was bolted. A heavy duty RBJ series rose joint connected the bottom of the upright to the chassis, and took the main loadings. A smaller rose joint connected the top of the upright to the chassis via a small wishbone. Moving the wishbone backwards and forwards using different spacers altered the castor angle. The top and bottom rose joints could be adjusted to change the camber. The track could be altered by changing the length of the bush which fitted into the chassis and into which the bottom rose joint was screwed. There were different mounting points for the wishbone to go along with this. The brakes were of the floating disc, single position variety. AP Lockheed’s competition department were very helpful and supplied some special cylinders for us which were the small half of their racing motor cycle calliper with the cross feed passage blocked off. This bolted to the aluminium upright. The disc and the hub were from Brian Appleby, and were as used by Barlotti at the time.

4. Not to look like a clone of any other kart…
I think we achieved this alright!

Other Kuga features were an idler sprocket in the chain drive to the back axle which could be moved to adjust the tension. This avoided the need to lever the engine along slotted plates, which I always found a bit of a pain on other karts. An AP Lockheed standard motor cycle competition brake calliper was employed outboard at the rear, and we had a screw adjustable balance bar to adjust front to rear brake balance.

The Kuga 1 build
On a trip down south I went and found the Barlotti factory in Reading and bought T45 tubing for the main chassis members from Jack Barlow. I couldn’t locate the George Brown who had bent the DAB001 tubes, but I found a firm round the corner in Leighton Buzzard to do the job, who I think made roll over bars. They may have had something to do with SAH, the people who supplied Triumph car tuning parts at the time.

We constructed a humungous jig, with three scrap Leyland truck chassis members welded together to form the base. Then much filing and sawing commenced (it’s hard work with T45) in my garage and at the garage associated with Stokes Hall, the now demolished student residence associated with Leyland Truck and Bus. Although we had procured some welding kit, we were unsure that we could match the welding on DAB001 by the now inaccessible Reynard man, and looked for a local equivalent. We found a bloke called Ernie down the road who was confident he could do the same. We gave him the job, but we were hugely disappointed with the lack of elegance in the result. David L had to tidy up all the welds and in the process convinced us we should do it all ourselves in future.

The aluminium front uprights were initially machined from solid by my cousin at Titan Motorsports. He made a lovely job, but when we had plates welded to them to form the steering arms we were a bit nervous about their integrity. These items were thus replaced with cast ones produced at very reasonable cost, including pattern making and machining, by a supplier to Leyland Truck and Bus who we were very fortunate to be able to utilise. These new items were helicoiled for safety and had the steering arms incorporated. A small plate just had to be screwed onto them to run in wide track configuration. The castings were a bit on the heavy side though, and as we ran the Kuga we progressively filed more off the corners to make them lighter.

Kuga 001

Posted Image

The Kuga Races
We completed the Kuga in early 1980 and took it up to Rowrah for its maiden run. On the way we took a diversion to Heysham Head circuit near Morecambe where we showed it off to an intrigued Kelvin Hesketh. (Bert Hesketh and his son Kelvin used to have a workshop next the circuit where they built Star karts).

The run at Rowrah quickly hit a snag when the gear lever broke. We tracked down Terry Edgar (1977 100 International British Champion) in the village, and he repaired it for us. We got back to the track and ran with no more snags than I can recall, other than discovering that the brakes were rather powerful.

Our first race meeting, I think, was when David L drove the Kuga at Donington Park. I think he went reasonably well, but was still finding the over effective brakes a little difficult. Subsequently we reduced the mechanical advantage of the brake pedal, which improved matters, but they could perhaps still have benefited from detuning further to give better feel.

The Kuga went on to race at Cadwell Park, Oulton Park, Morecambe, and 3 Sisters. David was getting quite near the front of the field at times, and there were never any significant problems with the chassis. It worked especially well in the wide track configuration.

On the grid at Oulton: No. 17, here with Zip nose fairing.
Posted Image

Kuga 2
There was always the intention to build two Kugas. Work wasn’t too far behind on the second, but then David L got himself a new job in Scotland, and I was finding things more difficult in more ways than one now that I had two baby daughters. Tubes were bent and filed for the chassis, all the parts for the front end, the brakes and all the rose joints were bought, but that’s as far as it got. Then I moved house, and all the bits wre stowed away in the roof of the garage. The jig was progressively buried beneath all the stuff that naturally accumulates behind a garage…

30 years later
I came across the Karting Legends club stand at the Oulton Park Gold Cup 2010. I got talking to someone about the old days and left my contact details. Several weeks later I was contacted by Nick Purdie. The parts and jig were all unearthed and taken away by Nick. We hope to see Kuga 2 on the track after all, but now as a Historic Kart!

Right...next yarn, please!

Edited by David Beard, 07 September 2011 - 19:13.

Advertisement

#2 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:58

David, marvellous. A most fascinating story, well told. Posted Image

#3 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 13:32

I can't match Barry with his Connew story...but here's my yarn:

"The judges' scores are just in,so now it's over to Katie Boyle, would you please read them out for us Katie."

"Merci David, Barry's Connew tale neuf points, David's Kuga Kart tale, aussi neuf points, le match s'est terminé par une match nul, a draw".

#4 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 20:09

"The judges' scores are just in,so now it's over to Katie Boyle, would you please read them out for us Katie."

"Merci David, Barry's Connew tale neuf points, David's Kuga Kart tale, aussi neuf points, le match s'est terminé par une match nul, a draw".

Thanks for the thought but there is no way I would try to suggest that building a 210N kart is anything like building an F1 car! What is interesting in the comparison though is that the Connew crew seemed to have similar facilities to us...

Anyway, if my epistle seems a little self indulgent, it was posted with the thought that there must be many a TNFer with a tale to tell which hasn't been told here.

#5 brakedisc

brakedisc

• 225 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 22:24

I have dined out on this yarn for years.

I raced a Hawke DL19b in 1981 sponsored by Lander Alarms. They had recently sold out to the RMC group and and I was on a reduced budget as a result. Money was tight so when I flew through the catch fencing at a wet Knockhill and buried the car in the bank at Duffus Dip, I was in serious bother. Things got worse when I phoned Hawke and found out that the cost of the parts required to fix the car was £350. A friend, "Wee Jim" was a welder in the shipyards and came to my rescue. Wee Jim "found" a suitable sheet of steel at his work and I was dispatched to the local steel stockholder for a length of suitable tube. A few nights in the workshop saw us repair the chassis, fabricate a new wishbone, rocker, steering arm and upright. Total cost was £3.50.

At the end of the year my deal came to an end and it looked like things were over on the racing front. We then had a bright idea. If we could build one corner for £3.50 we might as well build 4. Add in a few quid for the chassis and we would be on our way. The Hawke was broken and sold as spares to finance this new venture. We had plenty of design ideas and the hardest part was getting the design team to agree on anything. It took ages to finalise the design but after we had it down on paper we began the build. There were four of us involved and we spent every spare hour on this new project. We decided to invest in tools to do all the work ourselves and that took a few months sourcing suitable equipment. We got the car finished early in 1983 but had little in the way of money to get out testing. It was June before the car hit the track. We had to come up with a name and we decided to call it a Rotor. This is because a rotor is a part of a machine that spins and the boys decided that as I had done lots of spinning in my driving career, it was a suitable name.

We ran at Knockhill and the car was fantastic. Using the same engine and box from the Hawke we were lapping 1.5 seconds a lap faster than we had done in the Hawke. The car was reliable and we decided to race it the following day. The car ran well but I returned to form and spun off mid race when I started to think more about making the car faster rather than concentrating on my driving. I raced it another three times before we decided to get a more experienced driver onboard. Roy Low offered his services and was suitably impressed. It was not all good news because Roy informed us that our engine, from a well known engine builder, was duff and "would not pull the skin off your custard" Roy raced the car at Ingliston and did well. Sadly the engine went flat and Roy switched it off before serious damage was done. We were pleased with our efforts and were looking forward to next year when we hoped to get a better engine. As they say in these parts, "the car was the talk of the steamie".

Tom Brown, the Scottish FF1600 Champion, had been watching the project with interest. Tom offered the team an engine to get the car back on track. There was a catch because Tom wanted a run in it. The team quickly fitted the engine and Tom had a run at Knockhill. Tom then offered to race the car at the last race of the season. This was a big deal for the team because there was a chance that Tom could lose the championship if he failed to finish. The deal was done and the team, helped by Toms team of mechanics, prepared the car for the Ingliston meeting on the 3rd of October. The pressure was further raised when the BBC heard about this car that was built in a lock up garage at the rear of his parents home and was to be raced with the Scottish Champion at the wheel. A date for filming was agreed, on the Thursday before the meeting, with the film going out on the Friday teatime show. I was dayshift on the Thursday and Friday before the race and nightshift the on the Saturday and Sunday. Despite my best efforts I could not get off work and this meant I could not do my bit to camera. "Wee Jim " stood in and he was brilliant. Asked how he thought we would get on Jim did not hesitate, "we are going to win". I nearly died when he went further and suggested that the car would win easily.

On the Saturday things did not go to plan. We had lots of things to try on the car but we ran out of test time and the day seemed to turn to chaos as everyone had their say. I left for work unsure of where we were going. When I returned on the Sunday morning Tom had everything sorted and the car headed out for qualifying. Help by a drying track Tom nailed it and took pole by 2.6 seconds. We were thrilled and looked forward to the race. Tom led from start to finish. Roy Low in his PRS followed him home with Wally Warwick third in the new 83 Reynard. It was a fairytale and I headed of to work shaking my head in amazement.

Posted Image

Scottish Road Services who sponsored Tom paid for the team to go to the Formula Ford Festival. We ran well but on the national stage we were a little out of our depth. We got lots of offers to do more but decided that racing for fun was what we enjoyed and the thought of building cars for a living carried too much hassle. It was the right decision because 28 years on I still build cars for fun.

Here is my latest creation.

Posted Image

#6 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 22:37

I remember a piece about Rotors in the Scotsman back in the mid '90s - a mid engined seven type road car if memory serves me rightly? I didn't know they were still being made. Are they all one offs?

Oh, and if anyone wants to emulate Nigel Mansell in the first post, I have plans for the Dale Falcon to take various engines. I sadly don't have plans for the famous Mansell 'tache. or how to whine. :drunk:

#7 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 23:21

These stories are brilliant thanks to David and brakedisc for sharing them :clap:

I never tried building a car from scratch but I did once prepare a 2CV and have retold the story elsewhere if anyone is interested :blush:

#8 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 801 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:57

Brilliant. These kind of gems are the reason I come here.

#9 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 13:57

This yarn does not recount me racing anything and I have posted it here before but it's well buried in a thread somewhere and it's been eight years since I told it. So...

In 1986 I worked with a leading Adelaide ad. agency that handled the local Transport Department. Two or three months before the 2nd. Australian Grand Prix was due to take place, the State Premier announced that the new name sponsor for the Australian Grand Prix was to be ... Fosters! Anticipating that some folks might feel uneasy about a liquor company sponsoring a motor race (Adelaide IS referred to as the City of Churches in some quarters), he went on to inform the assembled press, minders and rent-a-crowd at the press conference that arrangements had been made to get the competing Grand Prix drivers to make TV commercials discouraging the citizenry from drinking and driving.

This was news to .... ah .... everyone in the room, including us at the ad. agency.

So overseas phone calls were made but we held no great hopes. We were aware that when drivers travel to Grands Prix they kinda have a job to do. So we thought we'd spread the net a little and when an ABC pal mentioned a few days later that he was going to be interviewing SM from London, I asked if he could enquire whether Stirling would be prepared to record a simple anti-drink/drive TV commercial, gratis. I was delighted when the answer was yes and so it was that I met up with my boyhood hero at a cocktail party on, I think, the Tuesday prior, to arrange the where and when. He was charm itself and, unsurprisingly, very much in demand during the week but he suggested that we make the ad. at the Eagle-On-The-Hill (for those unfamiliar with Adelaide, The Eagle is a hostelry in The Hills about 10 km out of town, to which on the Thursday before every Grand Prix a fleet of hundreds of delicious cars would drive with Police escorts and some decorum up the hill for breakfast, and would later return to Adelaide minus Police escort and any vestige of decorum.)

Moss was due to drive a C-Type that year and Mercedes had brought out a 300SLR for Fangio. I went in my appalling Nissan 280ZX, parked it as anonymously as possible and sought out the ABC cameraman who had been allotted to me. Together we fought our way through the scrum milling around the entrance to the restaurant where the rich and famous were enjoying breakfast after the drive up the hill. My heart was beating somewhat since the hoi pollloi were not allowed in and the organiser of the event, who I knew and who was manning the entrance, damn well pretended not to know me, but having got this far I sort of dodged past into the restaurant where, thank the gods, Stirling instantly remembered me, turned to the gent sitting next to him - Juan Manuel (!!) - and excused himself for the time it would take to record the commercial.

When we emerged onto the balcony, the general hubbub went up a decibal or three and, checking that the cameraman was all set, I handed the script to Stirling who quickly read it, pronounced it a bit second rate and suggested that he say such and such, which was far better than the script I'd been given at work. I said yes, let's go, he did one take which was almost there, then instantly did another which was perfect and I thanked him warmly. He was, as he had been throughout, quite delightful to work with and took his leave to resume breakfast with Fangio.

The cameraman handed me the Beta tape and all was done. Almost. As I was trying to emerge from the scrum to take the tape to the studio for editing etc. three breathless reporters and cameramen from Channels 7, 9 and 10 burst through the crowd and, with very little grace, asked me "how the four letter word I'd pulled that one off."

Ha, ha ha. All marvellous stuff and thank you, Sir Stirling. That was a true highlight for a 'umble fan and I've still got the commercial!

Epilogue. I wanted to hang around for there were some truly gorgeous cars in the Eagle car park but I really had to get the tape to the studio. So I pointed the nose of the appalling 280ZX down the hill. There were throngs of people standing at the roadside awaiting the heroes' return sans Police escort. And they enthusiastically waved and cheered as the Nissan went by! Just about all of them! Oh Please! Spare me the embarrassment! I think it was Henry Ford who said that no-one ever went broke through underestimating the intelligence of the public.

Edited by Gary Davies, 07 September 2011 - 13:58.

#10 brakedisc

brakedisc

• 225 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:56

I remember a piece about Rotors in the Scotsman back in the mid '90s - a mid engined seven type road car if memory serves me rightly? I didn't know they were still being made. Are they all one offs?

Oh, and if anyone wants to emulate Nigel Mansell in the first post, I have plans for the Dale Falcon to take various engines. I sadly don't have plans for the famous Mansell 'tache. or how to whine. :drunk:

That would be this one.

When I retired from the fire service in 1995 I produced, for my seventh design, a road car Rotor.

Posted Image

There were dreams of putting it into production but after building one for my benefactor, I decided that the hassle was not worth it.

#11 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 14:21

That would be this one.

When I retired from the fire service in 1995 I produced, for my seventh design, a road car Rotor.

Posted Image

There were dreams of putting it into production but after building one for my benefactor, I decided that the hassle was not worth it.

Looks good to me!
Often dreamed about designing /building such a thing, but never got close to doing it...

Gary :great story. Is that Beta tape as in Betamax? Can you still play it?

Edited by David Beard, 09 September 2011 - 14:56.

#12 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 15:07

By now the Zip was getting very tired. It had a few battle scars when I got it, and I had already added some more. By this time 99% of karts at any meeting were factory built, but I had a noticed that a chap called Paul Klaassen raced a kart called a Crusader at Shenington, which appeared to be a one off. This prompted me into thinking I would have a go at designing and building a kart of my own. I bought one of those sets of plans that Dale Karts sold to make your own Falcon like Mansell’s, but I just used them to copy the king pin geometry. The rest of the chassis’s design philosophy was based on the idea that no tube would have more than one bend in it, so it couldn’t be made on the wrong place! Reynolds 531 tubing was purchased from Dale karts, and bent for me by a certain George Brown in Linslade. (I wondered whether this could have been the George Brown of Super Nero motor cycle fame, but later research suggests it was not).

Many thanks for your yarn David. Your mention of George Brown and Linslade rang some distant bells with me, as I used to work in that neck of the woods 20+ years ago. There was an agricultural machinery company in Linslade called George Brown, which I see is still there (albeit in new premises): http://www.georgebrowns.co.uk/. Is it possible that it was someone at the George Brown company who bent your tubes, not someone named George Brown? The original George Brown who started the company was a metal worker (a blacksmith) - but that was in 1830 so I doubt it was him!

#13 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 16:57

'Is that Beta tape as in Betamax? Can you still play it?'
as it was a professional tape it must have been a Beta SP tape, different from domestic Betamax.

#14 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 17:09

That would be this one.

yes, that's it.

When I think about it, I might even have written to you looking for work when I was made redundant from Applied Sweepers in Falkirk at about that time. Never got a reply......... :)

#15 brakedisc

brakedisc

• 225 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 17:47

yes, that's it.

When I think about it, I might even have written to you looking for work when I was made redundant from Applied Sweepers in Falkirk at about that time. Never got a reply......... :)

I doubt it. I remember replying to all the begging letters that came my way. :rotfl: :rotfl:

#16 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,545 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 19:36

What is interesting in the comparison though is that the Connew crew seemed to have similar facilities to us...

Err, not quite, David. Quote from you: "We actually drew out the Zip Mirage, and put both it and the Kuga shape through an early Finite Element structural analysis program to see if we had got what we wanted."

A few years ago I worked with a woman called Sheila whose job was once "computer". For many years in the last century, computers were human beings with quick minds who were handy with tables. Connew could have drawn out their chassis design on a huge gridded sheet of paper and conducted an FE analysis using humans... Considerable insanity would have resulted and the design would have been out of date before the "computers" had completed 100 iterations.

Thanks for the story, of course. The message is that a vehicle as simple as a kart or F750 requires a lot of design effort if it is not to be a clone.

#17 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:26

I was beginning to think that the Kuga 2 build had died a death, but just found out that progress is being made!

Posted Image