Photo

Tas 10,000 1975

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,616 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:23

Just going on from the John McCormack thread, I thought it might be good to do one on the Tassy 10,000 races which were so successful for Baskerville, none more so than the inaugural meeting in 1975. The Tasmanian 10,000 meeting for Sports Sedans in 1975 was the culmination of the Hobart Sporting Car Club's efforts to revive the Southern circuits profile after a pretty lacklustre end to the 1960's. Speedway had a big effect on crowds in 1968,69 especially and the promotors began to import some "name" drivers/personalities from the mainland to try and draw the crowds back in. These included Leonard Teale of "Homicide" fame (who was very popular), Kim Aunger in the Mustang (who was very evenly matched with Robin Pare), Jim Smith, Bryan Thomson (Camaro and XU-1 Chev), Peter Brock in a variety of cars (naturally very popular), Murray Carter, Lawrie Nelson and Ross Woodbridge (HO, Charger, XU-1 respectively), Allan Moffat in various cars and John Harvey, etc. The Tas 10,000 was a huge step up and a guy called Vincent John was one of the driving forces behind the promotion. As mentioned in the McCormack thread the crowd was 25,000 and could have been much more had the infrastructure been up to the job. I will add photos from later years in the next couple of weeks - love to see some other shots from other TNFr's too!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,770 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:33

Keep em coming, Baskerville is one of my favourite tracks. I wish I could have raced there more than once.

#3 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,616 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:09

Posted Image
Pooley Porsche is ex Naughton car. Graham is David Parsons' (Bathurst winner/Brock) father.

Posted Image
This shot ties in with the shot on the McCormack thread where Jim goes into the side of J Mac.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 475 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:56

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,616 posts