Photo

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:24

I've got abit of a conundrum. I changed my avatar a couple of days ago from my "Mercedes Steering wheel" (henceforth referred to as "1") to Peter Sellers in Dr. Strangelove. In my browser, the avatar never changed - it remained (1) for me - but another poster pointed out that me "new" avatar was the same as another posters - obviously not (1) as that is a photo of the dash of my own car....

So I changed it again. The avatar on this post should show an illustrated wire wheel on a pre war Mercedes with the #2 on the right - but - (and I'm almost sure about this) - I'll see my (1) avatar.

I logged out and logged in again... didn't help - I went to my setting and it shows the pre war Merc as my avatar...

what's going on?

I know it's unimportant - but that doesn't stop it pissing me off... :lol:

Advertisement

#2 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:25

Yup - I see my Mercedes steering wheel avatar - what are you guys seeing?

#3 ssperka

ssperka

• 30 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:37

Yup - I see my Mercedes steering wheel avatar - what are you guys seeing?

I see the wire wheel pic. You (Bruce) need to clear your browser's cache of temporary internet files. When you refresh your page, your browser is putting up a stored page with the old avatar image, not the "new" page and new avatar. Clearing the cache is easy, but is done differently depending on which browser you use, eg; Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc.. If you don't know how, look in Help for your browser.

Edited by ssperka, 12 September 2011 - 14:51.

#4 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,245 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:47

I see the W165 Bruce...
You only had Sellers up for a few hours IIRC
Jp

#5 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 19:36

Yeah - I'm accessing this from work now and am seeing the correct avatar. I'll look into the cache issue - thanks for your help guys! (And thanks for letting me know I had a duplicate, however briefly, JP!) Cheers -B

#6 Dimo

Dimo

• 38,349 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 19:21

A tad late to the party, but assuming that you are using IE then check your page refresh settings (Tools -> Internet Options -> General (tab) -> Browsing History (press 'settings' button) and check value under 'check for newer versions of stored pages when' parameter).

Edited by Dimo, 26 September 2011 - 19:22.

#7 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 16:45

I find it always takes a little while for a new avatar to kick on the user page anyway... just be patient.