Scuderia Ferrari Racing News n. 4 (EN)

http://www.youtube.c...p;v=lt5nZU24rB0

Nice 20 minutes :up:

Advertisement

#10752 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 17:42

The funny thing about arguments like this is that come 36 hrs time some will have egg on their face. I actually went through the thread from 35 pages back and to be honest I tried to be as objective as possible.

To be honest it really is messed up as the thread has been hijacked and if I was a Ferrari fan it can be quite frustrating and grating listening to all the noise and trying to find relevant info about the car. this year it also happens in the McLaren thread although to a lesser extent and it is usually when the thread seems to be in a good mood and there is some sort of decent vibe around.

Some posters like "Glen P" and "The bunk" coming in to just be negative for the sake of it.

I know this has been said for the umpteenth time and it won't really suit any Ferrari fans....but there are some rival fans who have nothing better to do than fan the flames of negativity and these include Ferrari fans as well. all you have to do is have a look at the MP-26 thread from last year and you will see the usual suspects in there when Macca was going through their exhaust trial. I know it doesn't excuse some of the nonsense in here, but the bottom-line is you will always get these sort of fans but its only a minute set of Macca fans doing the grating not most of them.

Edited by BernieEc, 14 March 2012 - 17:43.

#10753 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 17:42

There are assumptions based on logic/reason and there is wishful thinking based on nothing but that.

+1 :up:

There is no logic/reason or evidence that proves the wishful thinking that Mclaren and Red Bull ran with a lot more fuel than Ferrari during testing. I totally agree with you. Nobody knows for sure.

Edited by fabr68, 14 March 2012 - 17:43.

#10754 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 17:47

We know all this and know that when everything comes together the car is as good as the best out there if Anderson and co are to be believed.

It is just pretty difficult to get a decent conversation going when even the slightest bit of positive is spun into something negative as if to say the car is dying of some wasting disease.

I know you went to one of the tests last year. Were you there this year as well?

Yes, I was there for 3 days of the final test.

Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Of the teams that you would expect to be running at the front, Ferrari were the only ones that appeared to have an obvious deficiency (notwithstanding RBR and McLaren both had reliability problems).

I have literally no idea who will win/be fastest in Melbourne. Looking after the tyres will be even more important this year than it was last year.

Edited by Dunder, 14 March 2012 - 17:48.

#10755 BestCarWins

BestCarWins

• 196 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 17:59

Welcome to the forum.

Seen as there is so much negativity, my expectations have been lowered, therefore I feel a bit more relaxed this year compared to last year, because I'm expecting us to be rubbish straight away. So sit back and enjoy the ride.

Thanks for the welcome. I'd like to sit back and enjoy the ride but my feelings on this seem to go up and down based on the board mood lol.

Well we are a few days from finding out the truth anyhow - lets hope it's better than we fear! :up:

#10756 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,926 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:12

and i thought, 4 pages, must be major news. i would say, it is nice that Dom says they will be in the fight, but don't want another 10 pages of our silver brothersw keeping our expectations in check. where would we be without them? :drunk:

being serious though, if someone is on here to flame, then best thing is to not react, but if they are wrong, come back and quote their posts, and post a nice pic of some crow/humble pie, or show them the menu. :D

cannot wait though. interesting that acer duct is still there.

#10757 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,938 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:20

Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Of the teams that you would expect to be running at the front, Ferrari were the only ones that appeared to have an obvious deficiency (notwithstanding RBR and McLaren both had reliability problems).

I have literally no idea who will win/be fastest in Melbourne. Looking after the tyres will be even more important this year than it was last year.

Thanks Dunder. Concise as always.

#10758 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,688 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:24

and i thought, 4 pages, must be major news. i would say, it is nice that Dom says they will be in the fight, but don't want another 10 pages of our silver brothersw keeping our expectations in check. where would we be without them? :drunk:

being serious though, if someone is on here to flame, then best thing is to not react, but if they are wrong, come back and quote their posts, and post a nice pic of some crow/humble pie, or show them the menu. :D

cannot wait though. interesting that acer duct is still there.

I doubt it will be there after the first major upgrades. The damn thing does not work. In its present form, it is just a setback. Better expect something along the lines of the RB/Sauber/Merc exhaust. The 'we are going to make it work' is pure PR/damage limitation talk. AND no, I am not flaming.

#10759 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,926 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:32

I doubt it will be there after the first major upgrades. The damn thing does not work. In its present form, it is just a setback. Better expect something along the lines of the RB/Sauber/Merc exhaust. The 'we are going to make it work' is pure PR/damage limitation talk. AND no, I am not flaming.

yeah, it is just your opinion. :wave:

i have difficulty believing anything is PR talk especially since in the same interview, it was said Ferrari would not be fighting for podium. and with Alonso saying they know exactly where it went wrong for them.
the duct may something be to do with cooling, but i think i read something about the parts not being in Melbourne yet, and would be flown for FP1

remember, that the new things only show themselves around FP2.

Advertisement

#10760 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:34

To me, it's looked like the tires have much better tire life than last year.

#10761 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:55

It may be that they have more potential in terms of durability but that is not inconsistent with that I said.

#10762 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,688 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:05

Life, yes. Performance curve? That is a huge question mark yet. If Pirelli's and team's opinion is anything to go by, it will be a big factor in races. Could make a huge difference between teammates, or drivers, not necessarily between teams.

#10763 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:25

Life, yes. Performance curve? That is a huge question mark yet. If Pirelli's and team's opinion is anything to go by, it will be a big factor in races. Could make a huge difference between teammates, or drivers, not necessarily between teams.

What is the difference between life and performance curve?

If the tires lose 2-3sec they're out of performance and out of life.

#10764 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,688 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:34

What is the difference between life and performance curve?

If the tires lose 2-3sec they're out of performance and out of life.

:)

There are a few drivers out there who can implement a strategy by using the tyres given to them in different ways during one stint. One outstanding example is JB( I am not referring his tyre conserving driving style), but Alonso, and only a handful of others, IMHO, could profit from this for sure.

#10765 tommyhjortasen

tommyhjortasen

• 587 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 20:46

:)

There are a few drivers out there who can implement a strategy by using the tyres given to them in different ways during one stint. One outstanding example is JB( I am not referring his tyre conserving driving style), but Alonso, and only a handful of others, IMHO, could profit from this for sure.

Agreed, they got experience from different teams over a couple of years.

#10766 NoDivergence

NoDivergence

• 1,815 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 20:51

Maybe so, but how would you expect Ferrari to route the hot air from the sidepod radiators?

#10767 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,014 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 21:15

And you know this how? No need to answer, we know you don't. You expect us to believe that the team, who has came out and said the car isn't where we want it to be, Fry talking about not making the podium, etc etc, they won't lie about that, the the Team Principal and others are lying about saying the launch position is the way to go? They're lying about saying they believe it will provide them a performance advantage? They're not lying about anything except the exhausts? :rolleyes:

The fact remains if they get it working, it will work better/perform better than the current temporary position.

#10768 NeilMick

NeilMick

• 530 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 21:40

I have a sneaky suspicion that the ducts are still there for a reason, we'll see on Saturday!

#10769 intweb2001

intweb2001

• 1,504 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 21:55

Am not saying @stevieferrari is a real Ferrari member of staff, but he uploaded a photo this evening (uk time) that showed the Ferrari pit garage.

It was relatively poor quality, but it had a mechanic with some bodywork in his hands and I could see the acer logo clearly, but it wasn't (or didn't look like to me) the existing act exhaust as the acer logo was flatter?

It looks like he's deleted the post now and I can't see the acer logo anywhere else on the side of the car.

Frustrating, but did anyone else see or copy it?

Edited by intweb2001, 14 March 2012 - 21:56.

#10770 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,014 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 22:15

Am not saying @stevieferrari is a real Ferrari member of staff, but he uploaded a photo this evening (uk time) that showed the Ferrari pit garage.

It was relatively poor quality, but it had a mechanic with some bodywork in his hands and I could see the acer logo clearly, but it wasn't (or didn't look like to me) the existing act exhaust as the acer logo was flatter?

It looks like he's deleted the post now and I can't see the acer logo anywhere else on the side of the car.

Frustrating, but did anyone else see or copy it?

Yep I saw the picture. He claimed it was the F2012, but it's actually the 150 italia. The dude is full of it. Plain and simple.

Edit: and now he deleted the picture. It was very small, and he thought people would quickly look at it and think it was the F2012. It had push rod front suspension. Again the guy is a joke.

Edited by CrucialXtreme, 14 March 2012 - 22:17.

#10771 intweb2001

intweb2001

• 1,504 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 22:44

Knew you'd have the answer Crucial, thanks for that, fingers crossed for a positive weekend.

Yep I saw the picture. He claimed it was the F2012, but it's actually the 150 italia. The dude is full of it. Plain and simple.

Edit: and now he deleted the picture. It was very small, and he thought people would quickly look at it and think it was the F2012. It had push rod front suspension. Again the guy is a joke.

#10772 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,014 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 22:49

Knew you'd have the answer Crucial, thanks for that, fingers crossed for a positive weekend.

Ours are crossed too mate! :up: FORZA FERRARI!!!

#10773 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,438 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 23:27

I had a read through that Twitter and it gave me a good laugh. Little over 24h until FP1...hope it isn't wet because we need the track time.

No matter what the year ahead may bring I can't wait to cheer for every point and every position. Forza Ferrari!

#10774 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:03

Mark Webber in his BBC column describes how he and Adrian Newey were in Turn 10 in BCN watching drivers and their styles. We don't get to hear what Newey thought (we would have been interesting), but the fact that the car didn't look bad is certainly good, and tying that to what Mandzipop's significant other said... :)

Just about 24 hrs until the first competition.

"To the untutored eye, it's quite difficult to see the differences in style between drivers and the specific things the drivers are doing to handle the cars on the limit.

Obviously, us drivers know what to look for - and Adrian sees it exactly like a driver.

As we were watching at one point, Fernando Alonso came into Turn 10 in the Ferrari. I could see the fine things he was doing. You could tell he was working. The car didn't look bad - it was Fernando ahead of the car and he was doing his profession, and it's good to see that.

Adrian and I spoke about it and the things Adrian said were right on the money driver-wise."

#10775 anachronox

anachronox

• 144 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:08

When you literally have no idea about who will be fastest in Melbourne, why not leave it for the weekend! I am sure you have no clue from what you watched at testing and trying to sing the chorus of the media with observations.

It wasnt long back that Ferrari was fighting till the last race of a season for a championship unlike the drought for the Mclaren team. May be you should sit and pray for more luck for your team and leave it at that!

#10776 Vic Vega

Vic Vega

• 194 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:16

Mark Webber in his BBC column describes how he and Adrian Newey were in Turn 10 in BCN watching drivers and their styles. We don't get to hear what Newey thought (we would have been interesting), but the fact that the car didn't look bad is certainly good, and tying that to what Mandzipop's significant other said... :)

"To the untutored eye, it's quite difficult to see the differences in style between drivers and the specific things the drivers are doing to handle the cars on the limit.

Obviously, us drivers know what to look for - and Adrian sees it exactly like a driver.

As we were watching at one point, Fernando Alonso came into Turn 10 in the Ferrari. I could see the fine things he was doing. You could tell he was working. The car didn't look bad - it was Fernando ahead of the car and he was doing his profession, and it's good to see that.

Adrian and I spoke about it and the things Adrian said were right on the money driver-wise."

OH. MY. GOD! Groundbreaking stuff!

#10777 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,014 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:37

It just reinforces the fact the car is not near as bad as the media have been making it out to be, nor near as bad as other teams fans want it to be.. :wave:

#10778 xlr8

xlr8

• 717 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:58

Fernando Alonso is not ruling out fighting in front of the field in Australia despite a difficult pre-season for Ferrari.

The Maranello squad has admitted it has not reached the targets set for winter testing with its F2012 car, but Alonso said on Thursday that does not mean Ferrari will be slower than its rivals when the racing kicks off.

"I'm confident. I'm very relaxed about the possibilities of our car," said Alonso during a Shell VPower promotional event on Thursday in Melbourne.
<snip>

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/98026

We are waiting Fernando. :up:

#10779 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 429 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:05

It just reinforces the fact the car is not near as bad as the media have been making it out to be, nor near as bad as other teams fans want it to be.. :wave:

But Webber and Newey were saying Alonso was making the car look good with his skill rather than the car making the driver look good.I'm not saying the car is bad because there's no accurate comparisons to other cars.It's pretty much a wild beast.A wild stallion that needs to be harnessed which is pretty exciting really because if we happen to be competitive right away in such a raw state compared to advanced prep of other teams then I Imagine Ferrari will be the team to beat when they get to grips with the new design.

Advertisement

#10780 shanser

shanser

• 240 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:18

Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug also downplayed the team's chances for this year, and suggested rival Ferrari is not struggling as much as people think.

"This is a building progress, it has taken two years and we know it will take longer, that is for sure and of course, should you make a bigger step you should like that, but it is not really realistic that you go from fourth to number one," said Haug.

"There is 6 cars ahead of us, very strong and have to say that I think Ferrari is not struggling like this is described right now like now, this is my judgement, this is my feeling."

"We have good testing, good mileage. We had good test days so we have prepared ourselves as well as possible and now we have to wait for the first four races to see where we are."

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/98028

:up:
I will quote a million posts from this thread come this weekend if F2012 is a bullet!!
Beware !!! :(

#10781 NoDivergence

NoDivergence

• 1,815 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:44

You opened a can of worms there. How many posts will have to be posted if it isn't?!!!!!

#10782 topical

topical

• 2,097 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:51

Finally all the talk can stop and the action can start. So much uncertainty about who will be where, and I'm sure there'll be a few surprises. Let's hope for a good weekend from Ferrari.

#10783 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,938 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:56

Finally all the talk can stop and the action can start. So much uncertainty about who will be where, and I'm sure there'll be a few surprises. Let's hope for a good weekend from Ferrari.

I'm expecting a good quali performance, all things considered, but I'm nervous as hell about the race though.

#10784 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,284 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:20

Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug also downplayed the team's chances for this year, and suggested rival Ferrari is not struggling as much as people think.

"This is a building progress, it has taken two years and we know it will take longer, that is for sure and of course, should you make a bigger step you should like that, but it is not really realistic that you go from fourth to number one," said Haug.

"There is 6 cars ahead of us, very strong and have to say that I think Ferrari is not struggling like this is described right now like now, this is my judgement, this is my feeling."

"We have good testing, good mileage. We had good test days so we have prepared ourselves as well as possible and now we have to wait for the first four races to see where we are."

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/98028

I will quote a million posts from this thread come this weekend if F2012 is a bullet!!

I take from this that me means three teams are quick than merc and he's suggesting that Ferrari aren't too far off either. So that would mean Ferrari around fourth/fifth fastest but could be faster, right?

#10785 xlr8

xlr8

• 717 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:40

Alonso: “We are prepared, united and we trust one another”

“Engineers always look at the data, look at numbers. Maybe we did not reach the targets or the numbers we were expecting from this car, but that does not mean the actual numbers we see are not enough to fight for the podium. We will find that out only this weekend. There is definitely more to come from this car and hopefully it will come soon.”

#10786 xlr8

xlr8

• 717 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:43

Massa: “We must be prepared to fight for the victory”

“It’s nice that the time for ‘blah blah blah’ is over,” began the Brazilian, referring to all the speculation in the media over the past few weeks. “Now, after Saturday’s qualifying, we will have a clearer picture of where we are and on Sunday after the race, we will have a further indication of what our car is like compared to the others, as this was impossible to see in testing. In the winter, we saw that a lot of teams, a lot of cars were competitive, not just over a single lap, but also over a race distance which indicates it will be very close.”

#10787 shanser

shanser

• 240 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:04

Alonso: “We are prepared, united and we trust one another”

you missed an important point Alonso made...

" It will be good to put all the best parts of the car from winter testing together, as we never did this over the tests. That is what we will do for tomorrow’s free practice for the first time.”

#10788 as65p

as65p

• 17,299 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:27

I take from this that me means three teams are quick than merc and he's suggesting that Ferrari aren't too far off either. So that would mean Ferrari around fourth/fifth fastest but could be faster, right?

Sure.

#10789 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,820 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:10

you missed an important point Alonso made...

" It will be good to put all the best parts of the car from winter testing together, as we never did this over the tests. That is what we will do for tomorrow’s free practice for the first time.”

“Engineers always look at the data, look at numbers. Maybe we did not reach the targets or the numbers we were expecting from this car, but that does not mean the actual numbers we see are not enough to fight for the podium. We will find that out only this weekend. There is definitely more to come from this car and hopefully it will come soon.”

Alonso knows how to give us hope :up:

#10790 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,072 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:29

The funny thing about arguments like this is that come 36 hrs time some will have egg on their face. I actually went through the thread from 35 pages back and to be honest I tried to be as objective as possible.

To be honest it really is messed up as the thread has been hijacked and if I was a Ferrari fan it can be quite frustrating and grating listening to all the noise and trying to find relevant info about the car. this year it also happens in the McLaren thread although to a lesser extent and it is usually when the thread seems to be in a good mood and there is some sort of decent vibe around.

Some posters like "Glen P" and "The bunk" coming in to just be negative for the sake of it.

I know this has been said for the umpteenth time and it won't really suit any Ferrari fans....but there are some rival fans who have nothing better to do than fan the flames of negativity and these include Ferrari fans as well. all you have to do is have a look at the MP-26 thread from last year and you will see the usual suspects in there when Macca was going through their exhaust trial. I know it doesn't excuse some of the nonsense in here, but the bottom-line is you will always get these sort of fans but its only a minute set of Macca fans doing the grating not most of them.

I think that it is logical that Ferrari fans are concerned about the car: it is a very different design, and it has had teethering problems which are logical but that leave you wondering how serious and easy to correct they are. We'll see how it goes this weekend, at the time I would say that all options are open but that the probability that it turns out to be the class of the field is low. Still, it could happen. And in any case, not being the class of the field does not mean not being competitive enough to fight for podiums or wins.

#10791 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:34

Don’t write off Ferrari, experts warn

Pirelli’s Paul Hembery warned that writing off a great team like Ferrari is “very dangerous”.

web

#10792 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:35

I'm expecting a good quali performance, all things considered, but I'm nervous as hell about the race though.

Ye, reading between the lines it seems the car has a strong base pace but lacks some reliability and balance. As you say this could lead to a good quali but possibly a sub-par race. Again this time Sunday all will be revealed!

#10793 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,938 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:57

Ye, reading between the lines it seems the car has a strong base pace but lacks some reliability and balance. As you say this could lead to a good quali but possibly a sub-par race. Again this time Sunday all will be revealed!

I think reliability is fine. They had hydraulic issues in the first test and something minor in the second. The third test was smooth sailing though.

#10794 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,014 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:58

As I've maintained all along, things aren't looking that bad for this weekend. Rival teams are wary of the car, and the team is exuding more confidence regarding the car & their chances. Time will tell. But as I said last week, I think we'll have a good Quali if nothing else.

As far as the exhaust and the Acer Ducts, I think the problem is the ducts are too far backwards. They're too close to the brake ducts & tyres, hence why we were burning them up. It seems as though the speculation about the new crash test was probably spot on and it seems that the team is indeed planning on moving them backwards a bit. Think about it, moving them back jive with what Domenicali said: "It's a long process, because we have to modify the bodywork, engineers have to understand how to remodel using CFD then work out the temperatures."

So I'm thinking we'll probably see something similar to the launch configuration come Mugello only further forwards towards the driver. The only question is what if anything will change on the car from now until then..

#10795 xlr8

xlr8

• 717 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:05

Scuderia Ferrari ‏ @InsideFerrari

It is raining at Albert Park: let's hope tomorrow the weather will be better...

Posted Image

#10796 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,820 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:05

I think reliability is fine. They had hydraulic issues in the first test and something minor in the second. The third test was smooth sailing though.

Yeah, but tyres are another story, but it's the same for every team, let's hope our car is not a tyre eater.

#10797 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:25

I factored the exhaust and tyre issue into reliability; but ye if you discount those then you're right.

#10798 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,014 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:31

I factored the exhaust and tyre issue into reliability; but ye if you discount those then you're right.

When people, commentators included speak of reliability issues, they speak mechanically. It's pretty much universal. We're not breaking ground here. :up:

Edited by CrucialXtreme, 15 March 2012 - 11:31.

#10799 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,938 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:34

As I've maintained all along, things aren't looking that bad for this weekend. Rival teams are wary of the car, and the team is exuding more confidence regarding the car & their chances. Time will tell. But as I said last week, I think we'll have a good Quali if nothing else.

As far as the exhaust and the Acer Ducts, I think the problem is the ducts are too far backwards. They're too close to the brake ducts & tyres, hence why we were burning them up. It seems as though the speculation about the new crash test was probably spot on and it seems that the team is indeed planning on moving them backwards a bit. Think about it, moving them back jive with what Domenicali said: "It's a long process, because we have to modify the bodywork, engineers have to understand how to remodel using CFD then work out the temperatures."

So I'm thinking we'll probably see something similar to the launch configuration come Mugello only further forwards towards the driver. The only question is what if anything will change on the car from now until then..

I don't agree with Autosport piece about the comparison between the Ferrari and McLaren exhaust. I have a feeling that Ferrari were aiming the exhaust directly at the brake ducts (Mclaren are routing theirs to the floor in an attempt to seal the diffuser) which as an unsprung part of the car would generate more downforce, as per Scarbs, but would lead to handling problems (which indeed have occurred).

I also think that cutting off the top of the Acer duct (probably FIA intervention there because the tip of the exhaust has to visible) has somewhat compromised what they planned on achieving.

I do agree though that the exhaust on the Ferrari is too far back to achieve what they intended without overheating the tyres.

My reasoning for saying all this is that it is quite clear that Ferrari did not intend on using the downwash, which seems critical to making the McLaren solution work, on theirs; because

1. The exhaust is positioned to far back; and
2. The round nature of the Acer duct is not conducive to the downwash due to the spillage that would occur over the sides of the ducts.

Advertisement

#10800 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:44

I can't wait for this weekend to unfold.

I have a feeling that with the clamp down on the exhaust blowing rules the effect will not be as big as it was last year. Therefore, the cars will be much closer than people think.