Photo

Alesi confirms Indy500 entry

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#51 WBarnato

WBarnato

• 87 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 22:13

Sorry Ed - as you can see I am way out of my depth.

So can you just explain is anything about the Lotus entry to Indy in 2012 actually going to be Lotus? Or come from Hethal?

The engine is a Judd (with a Lotus badge), the chasis is a Dallara, the aero kit (which is for 2013) is designed by Dallara, and the team maybe an existing one bought by Lotus? Or will it actually be one Lotus is creating? Then again maybe I am being too literal. The press release said that Alesi will be driving "for" Lotus, instead of "a" Lotus.

Its no 96T is it? then again that was designed by Team Lotus, and therefore nothing to do with Group.

Advertisement

#52 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,883 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 22:16

Next year all cars are Dallara monocoques with Dallara bodywork. In 2013 and beyond they will still be Dallara safety-cells, but anyone can manufacturer the bodywork/aero kit.

#53 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,070 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 22:17

Is anyone else a bit surprised at why everything you read about this story has people talking like Indianapolis is a death trap? Even posters on here are talking like people are regularly killed at Indianpolis and Alesi's mad for doing Indy next year. I know open wheel racing on ovals is a risky business but it's weird to me that all this dangerous talk seems to come out of nowhere. You don't hear anyone talking about how risky Indy is when Dan Wheldon or Tomas Sheckter announce they're going to do it.

#54 WBarnato

WBarnato

• 87 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 22:24

Thanks Ross for clearing that up.

At the risk of hearing groans everywhere, whatever happened to Lola - didnt they have a stranglehold on Indy?

#55 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,012 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 22:29

Sorry Ed - as you can see I am way out of my depth.

So can you just explain is anything about the Lotus entry to Indy in 2012 actually going to be Lotus? Or come from Hethal?

The engine is a Judd (with a Lotus badge), the chasis is a Dallara, the aero kit (which is for 2013) is designed by Dallara, and the team maybe an existing one bought by Lotus? Or will it actually be one Lotus is creating? Then again maybe I am being too literal. The press release said that Alesi will be driving "for" Lotus, instead of "a" Lotus.

Its no 96T is it? then again that was designed by Team Lotus, and therefore nothing to do with Group.

Essentially, the Lotus involvement in Indy will be as a sponsor/funder - the engine will be a Judd, funded by Lotus and badged as a Lotus, the car will be a Dallara but in 2013 it will have a Lotus aero kit produced by Dallara but funded by Lotus, the team will almost certainly be an existing IndyCar outfit with Lotus sponsorship - like this year's KV Racing Technology team, for which Tony Kanaan, Takuma Sato and E. J. Viso drove.

#56 peacockantony

peacockantony

• 1,343 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 22:33

But that is the way that Group Lotus operate now. Do none of the work and then take the credit. So you are not being too literall. Like they have done with the Renault F1 team, only most F1 fans are smart enough to see through their lies. But you for noticing this obviously are.
It seems that the only forms of motorsport that Lotus1 are responsible for is the ones that there is a Lotus road car entered, sometimes they are not even responsible for those as they are customer cars.

Exactly, something that many are not aware of, or if they do, seem to ignore and then believe the lies generated to make Group Lotus look better.

Essentially, the Lotus involvement in Indy will be as a sponsor/funder - the engine will be a Judd, funded by Lotus and badged as a Lotus, the car will be a Dallara but in 2013 it will have a Lotus aero kit produced by Dallara but funded by Lotus, the team will almost certainly be an existing IndyCar outfit with Lotus sponsorship - like this year's KV Racing Technology team, for which Tony Kanaan, Takuma Sato and E. J. Viso drove.

As in most forms of motorsport that they are "racing in". Even though "racing in" just means paying a team to display their name!

Edited by peacockantony, 24 September 2011 - 22:37.

#57 edruth56

edruth56

• 92 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 22:44

But that is the way that Group Lotus operate now. Do none of the work and then take the credit. So you are not being too literall. Like they have done with the Renault F1 team, only most F1 fans are smart enough to see through their lies. But you for noticing this obviously are.
It seems that the only forms of motorsport that Lotus1 are responsible for is the ones that there is a Lotus road car entered, sometimes they are not even responsible for those as they are customer cars.

Exactly, something that many are not aware of, or if they do, seem to ignore and then believe the lies generated to make Group Lotus look better.

As in most forms of motorsport that they are "racing in". Even though "racing in" just means paying a team to display their name!

So when are you going to launch your hatchet job on Chevrolet Antony?

After all they are using Ilmor made engines, and badging them. You act as if engine badging is a cardinal sin ....

#58 WBarnato

WBarnato

• 87 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 23:05

Correct me if Im wrong Ed (and believe me I know you will), but I dont think problem is soley down to the engine badging issue.

I think its part of a package of issues of which many on this thread are getting tierd of re-reading. Nevertheless I dont have a problem with the rebadging as long as everyone knows what engine it is, whether its Ilmor or Judd.

What I do have issues over is when a press release is submitted and its misleading (if only for me). As I mentioned, and I believe everyone is now bored to tears of reading, Alesi is racing "for" Lotus, not driving "a" Lotus. We have discoverd that the car he is driving is no more than a Lotus sponsored Dallara (god alive Im getting bored writing that name in all my posts).

But the point has been made, Im happier for the knowledge of it. Good luck Jean - you brought me a lot of entertainment when you raced!

#59 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 23:07

I read a quote by Irvine recently who said that he sees Piquet hobbling about after his Indy shunt in 92 and thought that I don't want to be like and so quit(completely?) when he stopped F1 in 2002. You could say the same for other things like those who pack themselves off to Afghanistan and Iraq, climb Everest or go out to sea. If they are willing to accept the danger and what may happen, it's there choice.

Risk-taking and adrenalin has never been of interest to me, but if they are willing to put themselves up for it, why not. Must admit it all seems very left field.

Advertisement

#60 loki

loki

• 2,155 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:45

Thanks Ross for clearing that up.

At the risk of hearing groans everywhere, whatever happened to Lola - didnt they have a stranglehold on Indy?

Back in the CART days when Carl Haas had the US distributorship Lola was quite strong. When Champ Car decided to go spec and went with the DP-01, Lola was out. Earlier when then IRL was looking for new chassis designs Lola wasn't invited largely due to their involvement with CART. After the "mergification" (merger/unification);) Lola drafted a spec for the 2012 car that Dallara eventually won. The other potentials were Swift and Delta Wing. From what I understand Swift didn't really have the funding and Lola wasn't interested in building the cars in the US, which was part of the original idea. The Delta Wing was so different it didn't stand a chance.

#61 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,512 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:31

I wish he wasn't doing this.

He retired from F1 11 years ago, and got out safe.

And now at 47 he'll risk killing himself at the Indy 500.

Sheer stupidity.

I'm 66 - If someone handed me the keys to a car and said "Fancy a drive?", you wouldn't see me for dust (Always assuming I could get my 100Kg fram into one...) - I would be bloody slow, but I'd have a go. I did my first run on a luge at 57; the brain is the barrier, not the body.

#62 edruth56

edruth56

• 92 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:07

Sorry Tennis & antony, looks like Lotus are indeed turning up.

http://auto-racing.s...gine-contracts/[/quote]

Edited by edruth56, 25 September 2011 - 08:08.

#63 WBarnato

WBarnato

• 87 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:06

Ed I don't know why you are being so triumphant.

According to Conquest racing's Eric Bachelart he stated:

“Since last time we spoke, it has been very quiet,” he said. “Not much has happened. I want to believe we can get an engine from Lotus, but we still have to negotiate a little bit about it. I guess I need to go back to them people because I have not heard back from them. It’s still a frustrating process, but I hope it’s going to be OK. I think the pressure is a bit off because the dates have been moved back by IndyCar, and now they said we can take a bit more time. But still, it would be good to know what Lotus is going to do. It has been a busy time; we have to complete the season, we have new drivers in our team and we have to sign sponsors for next year, so also having to do a new engine [deal] makes things very busy for a team like Conquest. We can handle all of this, of course, but it makes our plate very full.”

Also according to the report only HVM Racing was known to have completed (not confirmed) a deal, with the rest still to be confirmed.

Hardly a ringing indictment of the confidence in Lotus's engine programme. Oh Sorry - its Judd isn't it. So its hardly a ringing indictment of the confidence in the Judd programme is it.

#64 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,469 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:46

I wish Jean all the best at Indy. He was one of the most exciting drivers in F1 when I first started following and I'm looking forward to seeing him race the 500. I doubt he'll be in a red No.27 car with black wings, but being in the race will be cool enough. Maybe his presence will help raise the reputation of the 500 a bit and encourage other F1 drivers or other international stars to enter.

Can you guys take the Lotus bickering to the other thread? It's rather tiresome.

#65 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,922 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:51

Exactly, as I previously said people are tired with this BS It's a thread about Alesi racing at Indy, not about your Lotus moaning and groaning.

I wonder how big will his chances for a good finish be? Has Alesi ever raced on a oval? I think not.

Edited by DrProzac, 25 September 2011 - 09:53.

#66 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,469 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:11

Exactly, as I previously said people are tired with this BS It's a thread about Alesi racing at Indy, not about your Lotus moaning and groaning.

I wonder how big will his chances for a good finish be? Has Alesi ever raced on a oval? I think not.

I don't think he has. At least not in a single-seater. At least with Indy he'll get more practise time. I think with Indy if you can keep it on track you'll get a good finish, so it's all about whether he stays in the race. I'm sure he has the talent, but the experience could hurt him.

Sato came 20th, 2 laps down at his first attempt last year. That seems like a reasonable target for Jean.

#67 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,012 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:40

I don't think he has - but that may not be as much of a problem as you might think. One of Jean's fellow "Lotus Ambassadors", Nigel Mansell, did pretty well back in 1993. Admittedly, he crashed during practice for his fist scheduled oval race (Phoenix), injured his back and missed the race. However, he did better at the next oval race, finishing 3rd in the Indy 500, having led much of the race. He had clearly "got" ovals by then because he won all the remaining oval races that season: Milwaukee, Michigan, New Hampshire & Nazareth, on his way to the PPG Indy Car Championship. In fact if you look at his results that year, he did better on the ovals than he did on road or street circuits! Going even further back, Graham Hill won his first oval race - the 1966 Indy 500.

#68 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,922 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:52

I remember that, but unfortunately it's no guarantee that Alesi will do as good as Mansell. Though I hope he will (apart from the crash/injury thing :) )

#69 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,883 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:07

Yeah, Alesi is going to have nowhere near the car advantage Mansell had.

#70 Earthling

Earthling

• 3,483 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 13:18

Alesi is now doing it with Newman Haas Racing! Thats probably the best place he can be in terms of support.
Mansell did it 20 years ago in a pretty top tier car, and was still racing, not coming back to single seaters after 11 years absence!

Great news since it was supposedly off with the Lotus engines fiasco thats going on with some teams!

#71 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 16:16

Race starts, as many who went through with it more than once said, past 450 miles. If you are still on a lead lap, chances are that you might score well, if not win a bottle of milk.

Edited by Sakae, 05 April 2012 - 16:34.

#72 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 1,586 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 20:19

I feel very uneasy about this.

It's absolute lunacy.

But it's his choice. Good luck to him.

#73 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,469 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 20:38

Great news. Go Jean! At least he has a proper team behind him. I don't expect him to win or anything, but it's great that he's having a go. This year's 500 is going to have quite a few ex-F1 guys isn't it?

#74 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 21:11

I think its a bit crazy for him to do it but I'll be rooting for him and now I have a reason to watch.

Go Jean, give 'em hell! :up:

#75 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,432 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 21:12

I feel very uneasy about this.

It's absolute lunacy.

But it's his choice. Good luck to him.

I agree, I don't think this will end well but in an embarrassing sense rather than in the ignorant knee-jerk post-Wheldon sense.

Edited by Disgrace, 05 April 2012 - 21:13.

#76 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,744 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 23:35

I admire him for it. Who knows how well he will do, but If he wants to have a go then it's up to him. I might actually watch the race, to follow his progress.

#77 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,400 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 23:41

All the beat Jean!

#78 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,863 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:29

I agree, I don't think this will end well but in an embarrassing sense rather than in the ignorant knee-jerk post-Wheldon sense.

Precisely. I have a feeling he'll try to test the limits far too early and write off both the cars he'll have at his disposal before he gets a chance to qualify on Pole Day. Either that, or he'll get bumped out of the field due to the Lotus engine not being good enough.

#79 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,688 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:35

It probably would've been better to put someone in with experience of ovals but anyway who gives a toss...its Jean Alesi! Now we're all gonna watch Indy because of him. Its also a very creative move, imagine if he proves to be very handy and gets a good setup we know how passionate he is.

Advertisement

#80 karlzy1

karlzy1

• 273 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 15:13

I think its a mistake. Its just too risky. No oval experience. The price can be high, and Alesi is not known to be the most careful man out there.

#81 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,688 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 15:49

Well its not the normal path is it to firstly be retired for a while and have no experience of ovals but like I said determination, passion, fresh ambition and positivity about all the fuss and show and enthusiasm it would bring can go a long way to getting him right up to speed. Technically the wrong thing to do but possibly totally inspired and exactly the right thing to do. So now those two views will be trolled around the forums for the next 2 months as always.