Photo
* * * - - 10 votes

The RB8 - The 2012 Red Bull Racing car (merged)

• Please log in to reply
3538 replies to this topic

#1 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:01

Now that Red Bull Racing have become Renault's official works team and Adrian Newey has said that the RB8 will amaze everyone, I think its time to start speculating about the car which, I hope will, god willing, make Sebastian Vettel the first driver to give Adrian Newey a hat-trick.

What do you think Newey is hoping to amaze people with? Should he continue the chain of evolution that started from the RB5 or should he go radical and come up with a revolutionary concept?

Kers certainly seems to be an area that needs working on. Is there anything else that he should work on, if he wants to maintain RBR's supremacy?

Besides, I would like to see him give Sebastian and Mark a racier car than what the RB5, RB6 and RB7 have been, even if it comes at the expense of some qualy pace. What about you guys?

EDIT: Here is the link for Newey's claim that the RB8 is going to amaze people...
http://www.f1zone.ne...1-paddock/9407/

Edited by gillesthegenius, 05 October 2011 - 12:40.

Advertisement

#2 Gridfire

Gridfire

• 887 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:13

Now that Red Bull Racing have become Renault's official works team

They have? I know that Renault are now not involved a great deal with the Genii/Group Lotus team anymore, but the RBR cars carry Infiniti badges not Renault in some kind of deal with Nissan's luxury car brand who are in partnership with Renault on some manufacturing deal or other. I don't think I saw the announcement of further involvement in RBR?

Edited by Gridfire, 05 October 2011 - 08:14.

#3 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:27

Red Bull now Renault’s works team - Horner

http://www.motorspor...ks-team-horner/

Christian Horner:
"It guarantees stability, it makes us the premier, factory team of Renault Sport, so our colleagues where the engines are produced will be working hand in hand with the engineers and designers at Red Bull."

#4 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:28

They have a winning formula with the RB7 - it has won 9 of 14 races for christ sake and taken all 14 poles.

It depends on Ferrari/McLaren - they're still paying for being slow from the start of 2009, so Newey has to strike a balance between maintaining the core elements of the RB7 that has made it so fast, but ensuring that tweaks will negate any advantage Ferrari/McLaren might find.

#5 Unbiased

Unbiased

• 414 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:33

If they try to fix something that ain't broke, they won't be in the top 3 next season, I think.

They should just develop the RB7 and not do something radical. Ferrari and McLaren and Mercedes should do something radical, they have to take that risk. RBR does not have to.

But then again, Newey knows better about this than everyone of us here or the entire of internet combined :p

No one outside Ferrari people has seen the Ferrari yet but many are very excited about their car already and the talk that is coming from Ferrari themselves promises a spectacular looking car.

#6 Higli

Higli

• 262 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:36

No one outside Ferrari people has seen the Ferrari yet but many are very excited about their car already and the talk that is coming from Ferrari themselves promises a spectacular looking car.

My guess would be that the new Ferrari will look spectacularly like the Red Bull. :stoned:

#7 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:45

Adrian Newey is no idiot, when your at the top of the tree and you say your going to amaze everyone then I think that reason to believe it's something special.

#8 Stormsky68

Stormsky68

• 1,623 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:54

My guess, it will have an onboard drinks cabinet

#9 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:14

I still think that it will be Mercedes who beats RBR the first. Ross is the one who's beaten Newey fair and square.
Ross is not retired from formula One racing and the appointments he made in his technical teams should bring a surprise to 2012. I smell it. Only, the driver is gettinga bit old ( :p ).

I have got this feeling that Newey's car got more down force than others but it's drag and CoG is a little too high to be in reign any longer than now. ( I hope so for the sake of more exciting championship.)

#10 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:18

Spy pictures ...

Posted Image

#11 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:23

Spy pictures ...

Posted Image

:lol: Good one. :up:

#12 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:28

I dont know whether I am allowed to post links to other forums out here, but there is an interesting discussion about the RB8 going on here...

http://www.f1technic...c...=12&t=10374

Edited by gillesthegenius, 05 October 2011 - 09:47.

#13 Gridfire

Gridfire

• 887 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:36

Ahh. I wish journalists and important people like Horner wouldn't use such misleading language. Red Bull Racing is NOT the Renault Works team, it's *kind of like* the works team in that there will be greater technical collaboration with Renault in the integration of their engines into the Redbull car and gearbox packages. If it were the Renault works team the team would be run and funded by Renault, and it is not.

#14 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:37

RB8 = Mark Webber WDC!!!!!! :love:

....so long as Horner and Marko stay out of it...

#15 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:39

I hope they will make notable changes to its livery for RB8.
current paint scheme is getting bit boring.

#16 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:42

My guess, it will have an onboard drinks cabinet

For the last time- Kimi is NOT coming to RedBull!! No use trying to entice him...

#17 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:42

Ahh. I wish journalists and important people like Horner wouldn't use such misleading language. Red Bull Racing is NOT the Renault Works team, it's *kind of like* the works team in that there will be greater technical collaboration with Renault in the integration of their engines into the Redbull car and gearbox packages. If it were the Renault works team the team would be run and funded by Renault, and it is not.

Well you do have a point there.

But if Im right, the Renaults engines will be supplied free of charge to RBR from now on. I have read that it will amout to a cut in about 7-8% of RBR's expenditure. So that 7-8% is probably how Renault want to start funding RBR with.

#18 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:44

For the last time- Kimi is NOT coming to RedBull!! No use trying to entice him...

:lol: another good one.

But I dont know why, but if Kimi does drive for Williams next year, I have a feeling that he and Vettel could be at the wheels of the two RB9s in 2014.

#19 Tufty

Tufty

• 10,393 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:49

:lol: another good one.

But I dont know why, but if Kimi does drive for Williams next year, I have a feeling that he and Vettel could be at the wheels of the two RB9s in 2014.

Plausible [although I assume you meant 2013 not 2014] but that relies on 2 things:
1 - Kimi actually going there [yes I did notice your 'if'].
2 - Kimi proving himself as good as he ever was.
3 - Kimi wanting to drive for them rather than enjoying the challenge of hauling Williams back up the grid.

Advertisement

#20 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:49

Newey will study Sam's Williams' smallest gear box it says. Smaller box to have enable more rake? With no EBD, more rake will create backward current to recurrent air under the car during the braking so the car will be more jumping around, I bet it will sit lower than what it is now. All is up to how Exhaust will be arranged tho.

#21 FlashMaster

FlashMaster

• 1,901 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:58

RB8 = Mark Webber WDC!!!!!! :love:

....so long as Horner and Marko stay out of it...

:rotfl:

Webber's getting trashed next season again. Good No2.

#22 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:11

Plausible [although I assume you meant 2013 not 2014] but that relies on 2 things:
1 - Kimi actually going there [yes I did notice your 'if'].
2 - Kimi proving himself as good as he ever was.
3 - Kimi wanting to drive for them rather than enjoying the challenge of hauling Williams back up the grid.

Oops!!! I did indeed mean 2013. :)

Besides, I do agree with your 3 points.

#23 Tufty

Tufty

• 10,393 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:16

Newey will study Sam's Williams' smallest gear box it says. Smaller box to have enable more rake? With no EBD, more rake will create backward current to recurrent air under the car during the braking so the car will be more jumping around, I bet it will sit lower than what it is now. All is up to how Exhaust will be arranged tho.

Forgive my woefully untechnical mind, but given that the exhaust outlets are being regulated next year to avoid the EBDs, how much difference do the exhausts make?

#24 Tufty

Tufty

• 10,393 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:17

Oops!!! I did indeed mean 2013. :)

Besides, I do agree with your 3 points.

We both can't count :lol: - there I am claiming there are 2 variables, then I go and write three... :| It's just one of them days!

Edited by Tufty, 05 October 2011 - 10:17.

#25 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:32

Please get back on topic and shut the **** up about Raikkonnen for once...

Now Ferrari and McLaren, they say the same old bullshit year in year out about their new cars otherwise they'll lose their sponsors, but when Newey says the RB8 will amaze everyone, allegedly, that's something to stand up and take notice of. Visually there's nothing really radical about the Red Bull series of cars, the only things I can think of since the 2009 rule changes are the v-noses, super tight rear ends and reintroducing pull rods and blown diffusers. Also maybe their high rake and camber setup.

It's nothing too visually radical but all the teams have more or less followed all of these things or tried to as much as possible and if it wasn't for the double diffuser row of 2009 they have had the fastest car for three years. It'll be interesting to see what amazing things the RB8 will therefore have. Cut sidepods like the McLaren, Double floors like the Toro Rosso, blade roll hoops like Force India and Lotus, tiny gearbox like the Williams (incidentally I hope Williams keep this and improve on it for 2012). I wouldn't be surprised if more teams try out a Williams-like gearbox.

Funny how Ferrari aren't even in that list of innovation, they've still had the third fastest car of the season which is no bad thing, for such a bland uninnovative car it's still fast.

Edited by King Six, 05 October 2011 - 10:34.

#26 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,543 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:44

Now that Red Bull Racing have become Renault's official works team and Adrian Newey has said that the RB8 will amaze everyone, I think its time to start speculating about the car which, I hope will, god willing, make Sebastian Vettel the first driver to give Adrian Newey a hat-trick.

What do you think Newey is hoping to amaze people with?

The nose of the RB8 is going to be shaped like Seb's finger...

#27 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:02

Forgive my woefully untechnical mind, but given that the exhaust outlets are being regulated next year to avoid the EBDs, how much difference do the exhausts make?

like the last Honda and the first Brawn.
Honestly that big low nose should be there now that diffuser is almost back to the future...

#28 David1976

David1976

• 1,638 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:15

I dont know whether I am allowed to post links to other forums out here, but there is an interesting discussion about the RB8 going on here...

http://www.f1technic...c...=12&t=10374

Very worrying for the other teams... If Newey is brave enough to say something like this now the other teams will (or should) be worried.
Another dominant season for Red Bull would not be good for Formula 1. I sincerely hope Ferrari and McLaren significantly close the gap, but I fear they will not.

#29 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:30

Maybe the surprise is that it will be the only non-radical-design car on the grid next year, but a nice evolution of the RB7 :p

#30 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:02

Maybe the surprise is that it will be the only non-radical-design car on the grid next year, but a nice evolution of the RB7 :p

Honestly, that was the first thing that came to my mind when I heard about Newey's comments. Is he playing mind games with his rival engineers? Could be. :)

#31 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:15

Where did Newey say it's going to amaze people? Sounds pretty uncharacteristic coming from him.

Let's hope it's a demon!

#32 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:24

Where did Newey say it's going to amaze people? Sounds pretty uncharacteristic coming from him.

Let's hope it's a demon!

#33 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:32

Thanks! (Perhaps edit it into the OP?).

#34 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:34

Please get back on topic and shut the **** up about Raikkonnen for once...

Finally, something I agree with you on.

#35 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:36

Thanks! (Perhaps edit it into the OP?).

I shall. :)

#36 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 1,469 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 13:02

Red Bull Racing is NOT the Renault Works team, it's *kind of like* the works team in that there will be greater technical collaboration with Renault in the integration of their engines into the Redbull car and gearbox packages. If it were the Renault works team the team would be run and funded by Renault, and it is not.

IMO being a works team of an engine supplier doesn't mean that the manufacturer would run and fund the team. In the past it used to mean, that the team got their engines for free and they had the access to the latest version of the engine, where as the customers had to pay for their engines and didn't always get the same equipment as the works team. With the engine freeze the whole works team consept isn't as important as it used to be, but it still has some benefits. If RB don't pay for their engines and there is some technical collaboration, i see them very much as a works team. Do LRGP pay for their engines?

#37 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 13:04

IMO being a works team of an engine supplier doesn't mean that the manufacturer would run and fund the team. In the past it used to mean, that the team got their engines for free and they had the access to the latest version of the engine, where as the customers had to pay for their engines and didn't always get the same equipment as the works team. With the engine freeze the whole works team consept isn't as important as it used to be, but it still has some benefits. If RB don't pay for their engines and there is some technical collaboration, i see them very much as a works team. Do LRGP pay for their engines?

Yes they are, there was a big hooplah a few weeks ago about LRGP actually being in arrears on their engines payments

#38 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 13:08

In the same article, Helmut Marko is said to have claimed that the RB7 will be fitted with new parts at Suzuka with the aim of collecting data for the RB8.

Anyone knows what new parts RBR are bringing to Suzuka? Will be interesting to keep an eye on them this weekend, although I believe that they wouldnt give away much.

Edited by gillesthegenius, 05 October 2011 - 13:10.

#39 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 13:22

In the same article, Helmut Marko is said to have claimed that the RB7 will be fitted with new parts at Suzuka with the aim of collecting data for the RB8.

Anyone knows what new parts RBR are bringing to Suzuka? Will be interesting to keep an eye on them this weekend, although I believe that they wouldnt give away much.

Indeed. I suspect all the big teams will be doing this now.

Advertisement

#40 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 13:54

Newey isn't one to gloat,as far as I know? And he basically said "Watch out"?

2014 can't come soon enough :lol: .

#41 Gridfire

Gridfire

• 887 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 13:58

Let's hope it's a lemon!

Fixed it for you! I wish RBR no ill will, but another season with them on pole every race will be pretty dull =/

#42 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,529 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 14:19

Maybe it will be like Williams of 1992 next season... I wouldn't be shocked.

#43 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,529 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 14:19

Fixed it for you! I wish RBR no ill will, but another season with them on pole every race will be pretty dull =/

1992 and 1993 Williams took 32 out of 34 poles combined....

#44 plastik2k9

plastik2k9

• 509 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 14:26

Posted Image
You saw it here first  ;)

#45 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,529 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 14:28

Let me guess, I bet he thinks the Williams of 1990s were all Renault works teams. :stoned:

#46 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 14:28

Posted Image
You saw it here first ;)

Impressive! :clap: :clap:

#47 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 14:51

Posted Image
You saw it here first ;)

Uhm I think you put Raikkonen one race too low ;)

#48 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 16:33

As someone else pointed out I think it's either going to be a mega-period of success like MS+Ferrari, or (more likely IMO) the end of Red Bull domination. If it's the latter it's going to be a great season, they may start out with the best car but others will catch up.

Don't know what to make of Newey's comments, though, there's no surpassing the RB7 in terms of sheer pace. Or maybe he has something a bit more adventurous in mind now that two title mark has been achieved with RBR. :drunk:

#49 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 16:36

No, I said **** off about Raikkonen! Last warning!

#50 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 16:47

The car will be developed in line with Seb's driving style as it has been for more than a year now. This probably means a slightly pointy setup style with a mild oversteer preference. Perfectly in line with Raikkonen's style.

RBR is a master of disinformation, so I would think twice about drawing conclusions from interviews. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the RB8 looks like the RB7 but with telescopic exhausts.

I suspect it will be a monster though, especially since Newey will have a chance to have begun working on the 2012 model already since both the WCC and WDC for this year have been effectively wrapped up for a while now.