Photo
* * * - - 10 votes

The RB8 - The 2012 Red Bull Racing car (merged)

• Please log in to reply
3538 replies to this topic

#51 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 17:03

Can a mod shift all the raik crap out of here? This is the car thread after all, and the blonde has-been has 3 threads to his name....

Advertisement

#52 Stormsky68

Stormsky68

• 1,623 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 17:08

It could actually be amazing in a visual way, say a radical new look? Like a see through PC with neon back lighting. Now THAT would be the ultimate cool, and I could quite happily forgive Seb / RB a boring season and 3rd WCC WDC

#53 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 776 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 17:14

Posted Image
You saw it here first ;)

Scary!! :eek:

#54 swerved

swerved

• 3,615 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 17:15

Posted Image
You saw it here first ;)

:lol: very good, and i wouldn't find that boring in the least, though someone with 10 fastest laps in a season should have at least one in there somewhere.

I wonder how much of the "amazing" will be visible and how much concealed ?.

#55 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:22

Can a mod shift all the raik crap out of here? This is the car thread after all, and the blonde has-been has 3 threads to his name....

Seconded, please?

He's got three bloody threads of his own! Let the dreamers who seem to think he's so great dream elsewhere!

#56 Zava

Zava

• 5,004 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:28

Seconded, please?

He's got three bloody threads of his own! Let the dreamers who seem to think he's so great dream elsewhere!

talking about dreaming...

RB8 = Mark Webber WDC!!!!!! :love:

....so long as Horner and Marko stay out of it...

:lol: :lol:

#57 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:54

talking about dreaming...

:lol: :lol:

At least Webber gives 100%+ every race, which is definitely not something you could say about Raikkonen...

#58 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:19

Adrian Newey is quite reserved and usually does not speculate about his cars halfway into a season. This speculation however sounds ominous to all their rivals and am sure this definitely has them quaking in their boots. Could this just be a speculation from the great man himself or has he found that magic silver bullet that the Red Bull car doesnt even need!!!

its remains to be seen what Mclaren and Ferrari have in response to this

Blown diffusers aside, the rules are staying essentially the same in 2012 but Newey has “revealed that next year’s RB8 will amaze everyone”, correspondent Heikki Kulta wrote.

“When he was asked what about it is so surprising, he replied that if he revealed that now then it would no longer be a surprise.”

Even team boss Christian Horner apparently knows very little about the 2012 Red Bull.

“So far he (Newey) has only told me that it’s going to be blue,” he joked, according to Die Presse.

Dr Helmut Marko said on the Servus TV channel this week that the 2011 car will feature some new parts in Japan this weekend.

What we learn can be used for the new car in 2012,” said the team advisor. “We want to come back with a clear lead for the first race of the season.”

But before the full focus turns to 2012, Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel need to mathematically conclude their 2011 title triumphs, and Newey insists there is no celebrating yet.

“We still have not won anything,” the Briton said ahead of Suzuka, where Vettel needs only a single point to secure his second drivers’ title.

Horner however insists the team will not be on ‘cruise and collect’ in Japan.

“We are not looking at the one point but the (maximum) 43,” Kleine Zeitung quotes him saying.

As for the future, Horner insists he can live with the constant sniping about Red Bull’s approach to F1 rules and financial agreements.

“We take it as a compliment,” he said. “We have shown that what we have achieved was no fluke.

“Ferrari and McLaren were sworn enemies for twenty years, yet now they are united against us.”

http://www.yallaf1.c...amaze-everyone/

#59 Owen

Owen

• 10,502 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:20

Everyone is talking up next years car. So what?

Advertisement

#60 Risil

Risil

• 13,897 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:22

It will be made entirely of those faster-than-light μ-neutrinos.

#61 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,462 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:37

Ahh. I wish journalists and important people like Horner wouldn't use such misleading language. Red Bull Racing is NOT the Renault Works team, it's *kind of like* the works team in that there will be greater technical collaboration with Renault in the integration of their engines into the Redbull car and gearbox packages. If it were the Renault works team the team would be run and funded by Renault, and it is not.

:confused: I'm sure people accepts "works" "as in" McLaren-Mercedes, Williams-Honda, Jordan-Peugeot etc in an F1 context. The primary effort.

With Infiniti badges on it - bleeding ridiculous. Put Reno back on the rear wing would you, that was smart and nicely anti-Ferrari. (Ferrari sign on Sauber rear wing :rotfl: :rotfl: )

#62 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,930 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 13:30

I hope they don't build a rocket ship or if they do at least Ferrari or McLaren build one that matches it. Happy for Red Bull, but lets get back to some racing at the front now...

#63 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,276 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 13:39

:confused: I'm sure people accepts "works" "as in" McLaren-Mercedes, Williams-Honda, Jordan-Peugeot etc in an F1 context. The primary effort.

So what, McLaren has never been dubbed as Mercedes' works team, niether Honda nor Peugeot. There was not any reason as to why we should call Red Bull-Renault team as Renault's works team. I believe they are misusing the term "works."

#64 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 14:09

So what, McLaren has never been dubbed as Mercedes' works team, niether Honda nor Peugeot. There was not any reason as to why we should call Red Bull-Renault team as Renault's works team. I believe they are misusing the term "works."

no they are not. Red Bull is mis using the name WORKS if they are to call themselved WORKS Renault team.

This does not exclude a possibility that renault might accept Red Bull racing calling themselves Works renault, tho. If this happens many more times, Renault gets free ads on the fastest car on grid. What it matter is if rd bull pays for Renault Engine to sit on its back and if the specification of those engines are better advanced, higher quality and more aggressive than the rest of Renault team. Some time honda works engine at Suzuka Special was less reliable tho. As a matter of fact, Williams are now viewing themselves Works Renault. Renault will perhaps not deny the fact that there is no WOrks Renault team in 20111 or 2012 grid. Renault is not Paying any of those Formula One team to compete in the FIA championships, so officially there is no works renault team. It i just one of those Christian Horner's day dream... He is trying to differentiate themselves from the rest in order to achieve psychological advantage. That is all there is.

You got any prove that Red Bull have NOT payed the engine bill? Show it here, we will look at it.

:rotfl:

#65 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 14:40

You got any prove that Red Bull have NOT payed the engine bill? Show it here, we will look at it.

:rotfl:

http://news.bbc.co.u...one/9409120.stm

Red Bull has linked up with Japanese car maker Infiniti and will receive effectively free engines for the first time.

Red Bull previously had to pay the statutory 8m Euros (£6.8m) for their customer Renault engines but the funding from Infiniti will at least cover that amount.

The deal is being labelled a "marketing and technical agreement" with Infiniti, the premium brand of Japan's Nissan, which is part-owned by Renault.

The engines will still be called Renault, contrary to an earlier story on this site.

#66 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 14:47

Pedants getting worked up about the "works" comment. :rolleyes:

Have the official rules for 2012 even been published yet? I don't think so.

#67 Gridfire

Gridfire

• 845 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 15:00

Pedants getting worked up about the "works" comment. :rolleyes:

Pedants? The opening sentence of this entire thread begins: "Now that Red Bull Racing have become Renault's official works team...", which is complete shameless spin, and we are pointing it out.

#68 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 18:54

Pedants? The opening sentence of this entire thread begins: "Now that Red Bull Racing have become Renault's official works team...", which is complete shameless spin, and we are pointing it out.

I dont understand why you are making such a fuss about Horner's comments when Renault themselves dont seem to have no issues about it. *shrug*

Surely, they would have told Horner to correct himself if they saw themselves as anything else than a works team, right?

#69 Concorde

Concorde

• 782 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 19:13

And how's that working for you? :rolleyes:
We got it you don't agree, anything to add on the 2012 Red Bull Racing car perhaps?

With Renault accommodating Newey's design I expect a very very strong 2012 car, perhaps even more dominant than this year if Ferrari and Mac don't up their game significantly.

#70 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 19:17

Red Bull has linked up with Japanese car maker Infiniti and will receive effectively free engines for the first time.

Red Bull previously had to pay the statutory 8m Euros (£6.8m) for their customer Renault engines but the funding from Infiniti will at least cover that amount.

The deal is being labelled a "marketing and technical agreement" with Infiniti, the premium brand of Japan's Nissan, which is part-owned by Renault.

The engines will still be called Renault, contrary to an earlier story on this site.

This is just a sponsor deal. No proof of Works Job. you logic is like the one of Horner's ...

#71 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 19:30

This is just a sponsor deal. No proof of Works Job. you logic is like the one of Horner's ...

You wanted proof that RBR were getting their engines without paying anything to Renault and that was the proof. :)

#72 Gridfire

Gridfire

• 845 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 19:30

And how's that working for you? :rolleyes:

Not sure, a bunch of internet people keep disputing it.

We got it you don't agree, anything to add on the 2012 Red Bull Racing car perhaps?

Nope, it's still under complete wraps at RBR. All we really have is Newey's boasts.

#73 JV97

JV97

• 199 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 20:17

KERS fitted in a much less compromised way. Probably have developed to the stage that everything flexes but still stays within the test limits......who knows? I dread to think what next season would be like if the hype is true. But part of me is a little curious about what he can build

#74 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:46

You wanted proof that RBR were getting their engines without paying anything to Renault and that was the proof. :)

Right, from Reno self... You could call Reno engine is paud by Red bull therefore Red Bullis a Reno works team... he? :cat:

#75 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:47

Any ways it is a detail not too important. :)

Newey never tells what his cars will be like, so this thread is going to be a very boring one. :p

#76 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:36

Lol. This should be a warning to Ferrari and Mclaren. Adrian is in his zone and so dedicated to the RB8 that he's not attending races. :drunk: :drunk: I love the emphasis on the "a completely new car". Given that EDB have been stapling success for the RB6 and RB7, Red Bull will need to seek a new advantage for next year that will acheive high aero grip, particularly at the rear.

"The focus has to start moving towards next year and we've got less than four months to design and build a completely new car," Horner said.

"That's why Adrian elected not to attend this race. He's busy back in the UK focussed on our RB8 (car)."

http://planetf1.com/...ash-from-rivals

Edited by F1ultimate, 18 October 2011 - 08:39.

#77 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:13

It's not really a completely new car, I don't see why they'd need to be so revolutionary unless they're actually worried that McLaren and Ferrari will finally put up a proper fight for 2012. So maybe all the hot air (especially from Ferrari) is actually working. Interesting, though.

But ultimately

It will be made entirely of those faster-than-light μ-neutrinos.

I think this thread should be pinned, locked and left with this as the sole comment until the car is released

#78 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:23

It's not really a completely new car, I don't see why they'd need to be so revolutionary unless they're actually worried that McLaren and Ferrari will finally put up a proper fight for 2012. So maybe all the hot air (especially from Ferrari) is actually working. Interesting, though.

Double diffusers will be banned and so will EBD. The entire RB7 is design around the EBD and thus an evolutionary approach cannot be taken. The entire design of the car will have to be reconsidered.

#79 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:33

Double diffusers will be banned and so will EBD. The entire RB7 is design around the EBD and thus an evolutionary approach cannot be taken. The entire design of the car will have to be reconsidered.

On the one hand most of the rules stayed the same, on the other hand the EBD will no longer be allowed, so I'm keen the see the next car, hopefully it is once again a beauty.

Edited by H2H, 18 October 2011 - 15:47.

Advertisement

#80 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:57

So back to 2009 concept.

#81 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:05

I think it will be interesting to see whether the current evolutionary trend of the RB series continues or whether the RB8 turns out to be a direct evolution from the pre-DDD RB5. For a car that didnt have the DDD, it was quite a beast.

Edited by gillesthegenius, 19 November 2011 - 16:30.

#82 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 13:43

Newey: An enormous challenge to stay at the top in 2012

Banning the blown diffuser is a big change. It has a fundamental affect on the aerodynamics of the car which then knocks on through the car. It is an enormous challenge to stay at the top.

#83 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,362 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 19:35

The other teams have to hope for a radical regulation change IMO. No reason at all to think that the RB8 will be anything other then the class of the field.. again.

The only thing the other teams can hope for is to bridge the gap and for every year that passes, this is sort of a natural trend anyway. So it can be closer between the teams, as it has been this season but Redbull should stay the team to beat.

RB8 will be the same as the other cars IMO, an evolution with a few new bits added to suit the regulations.

I don't know much about the details, haven't payed much attention this season, just payed attention to the racing (which is a nice comfort to have).. but it's the people within the team that I trust in. Continuity and the leadership of Horner/Newey and co. The whole team has gelled so well in the last few seasons, not just Newey but from Newey all the way down to the mechanics. It's the main way to dominate in all sports but also F1, to have this magic formula and team chemistry. And as long as that stays the same, they will be hard to beat. Until radical new regs come in or the team is broken up.

Edited by HoldenRT, 18 October 2011 - 19:35.

#84 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 21:48

Couldn't find an appropriate thread and this was the best i could see, but heres a video of a 15yo Christian Horner, sitting in what i think (not sure) is Adrian Newey's Leyton House and being interviewed.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Edited by olliek88, 18 October 2011 - 21:51.

#85 AirWebber

AirWebber

• 292 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 23:12

Posted Image

Posted Image

#86 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 23:40

how I miss those low/wide rear wings and those narrow front wings : :cry:

#87 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,115 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 00:13

Newey will study Sam's Williams' smallest gear box it says. Smaller box to have enable more rake? With no EBD, more rake will create backward current to recurrent air under the car during the braking so the car will be more jumping around, I bet it will sit lower than what it is now. All is up to how Exhaust will be arranged tho.

Tend to agree with you One. Smaller gearbox, bigger & better KERS, more rake & of course the changed exhaust set-up.

#88 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 00:28

Tend to agree with you One. Smaller gearbox, bigger & better KERS, more rake & of course the changed exhaust set-up.

It's debatable how effective extreme rake will be without the EBD sucking the rear end down

#89 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,115 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 00:34

It's debatable how effective extreme rake will be without the EBD sucking the rear end down

It is debatable engel. Seb does seem to prefer a pointy front end over a loose tail though doesn't he?

#90 BennyJohnson

BennyJohnson

• 656 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 00:45

I never take anyone seriously in F1 anymore.

Granted that Newey is making absolute beasts lately, but I wouldn't speculate on the characteristics of a car that is probably still 6 months away from launching...

I noted that the report was from a Finnish newspaper... I wouldn't be suprised if that interview got lost in translation, it's so unlike Newey to say something like that.

#91 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 00:53

It is debatable engel. Seb does seem to prefer a pointy front end over a loose tail though doesn't he?

Yeah I think Mark handles corner entry better when the rear end is unstable, Vettel is more about smooth entry and scrubbing the minimum amount of speed through the apex

#92 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 840 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:40

Yeah I think Mark handles corner entry better when the rear end is unstable, Vettel is more about smooth entry and scrubbing the minimum amount of speed through the apex

Quite the opposite. It is Mark that struggles more with an unstable rear on corner entry, or perhaps simply, Vettel who deals with it better. Pointy front/loose tail are generally not mutually exclusive as well unless you're a genius on design and setup.

The rake will be less next year i'm sure of it. It only works this year because the EBD acts as a skirt for the diffuser, sealing the air on the side. I'm perhaps a little worried now even that the RB8 will have many traits of the RB5, such as its poor driveability due to the need for a stiffer rear end.

Edited by FPV GTHO, 19 October 2011 - 06:43.

#93 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,926 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 14:29

Interview With Adrian Newey

Adrian Newey has admitted that one of the only things that has held him back from switching to Ferrari is his family.

The Briton, who has also won titles with UK based McLaren and Williams, is regarded as the best technical mind in formula one and instrumental to Red Bull's current run of dominance.

So has he thought about moving to Ferrari, F1's most evocative marque?

"There is no particular reason (why he has not), there has just never been the right time for it to occur," Newey told Spain's Canal 9.

"Also, my family and my children are in England and so it would be an upheaval for them to have to go to live in Italy.

"It is a shame," he acknowledged, "because it is a great team and while many drivers covet driving for Ferrari one day, the same goes for engineers."

Meanwhile, Newey denied recent reports that his next F1 car, the 2012 Red Bull RB8, will be completely different to the current single seater.

"People think I said that, but I did not," he insisted.

"It will be an evolution of the (2009) RB5, the car that started this series," Newey explained. "Last year's car was based on it and so was this one (2011). RB5 is the father of them all.
"

#94 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 14:42

That is quite interesting, as it sounds like it would be a different "branch" of the development tree based on the RB5.

#95 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 840 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 15:38

Well every year they make another attempt at closing up the rules to what they wanted the 2009 rules to be with their weak rear aero. First they dropped the double diffuser, now theyre dropping the exhaust blown diffuser. The RB5 was developed with neither of those in mind.

I really want to see them go back to shorter wheelbase cars, but i dont see it happening.

#96 Owen

Owen

• 10,502 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:08

Rumoured launch date: 5th Feb.

#97 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:07

Sky had an interview with Newey from the MK demo run saying that due to the new exhausts the RB8 is going to be a completely brand new car rather than an evolution.

#98 TeamSideways

TeamSideways

• 647 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:54

Sky had an interview with Newey from the MK demo run saying that due to the new exhausts the RB8 is going to be a completely brand new car rather than an evolution.

yeah yeah , we believe every word that comes from F1 teams directors and principals

#99 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 21:10

I'm really looking forward to this new challenger. Newey sounds quite positive about the car, and he is usually quite guarded.

Advertisement

#100 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 00:04

That news could fall either way. I am actually surprise that I read "new (as a different) design". I thought it will be evolution....