Photo
* * * - - 10 votes

The RB8 - The 2012 Red Bull Racing car (merged)

• Please log in to reply
3538 replies to this topic

#101 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 00:45

That news could fall either way. I am actually surprise that I read "new (as a different) design". I thought it will be evolution....

I get the feeling that he is playing mind games.

Advertisement

#102 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 00:54

A customer of mine, who works in the sailing boat tuning industry, said the company he works for developed a new way of fabricating carbon fiber into really thin and uberstrong composites, and Red Bull has ordered them to build parts for the floor of the new RB8.

#103 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:27

A customer of mine, who works in the sailing boat tuning industry, said the company he works for developed a new way of fabricating carbon fiber into really thin and uberstrong composites, and Red Bull has ordered them to build parts for the floor of the new RB8.

Gonna be the new flex floor scandal...

#104 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:59

Not that I don't believe it, but all the teams have very large Carbon Fibre departments with some of the best technicians around, especially RB who are pioneering laying techniques at present.

It would be far more believable if your customer had said they had sold the IP to RB on a consultancy basis than saying RB would engage them to build the floors out of house.

#105 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,447 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:23

You'll be talking about nanotubes then - although all of the F1 teams are after or have the technology now.

The next step is Graphene.............

Edited by maverick69, 14 December 2011 - 11:28.

#106 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 14:16

Not that I don't believe it, but all the teams have very large Carbon Fibre departments with some of the best technicians around, especially RB who are pioneering laying techniques at present.

It would be far more believable if your customer had said they had sold the IP to RB on a consultancy basis than saying RB would engage them to build the floors out of house.

You'll be talking about nanotubes then - although all of the F1 teams are after or have the technology now.

The next step is Graphene.............

It suprised me, too, but apparently the sort of stuff they make is from a very different approach. There was no secrecy involved but another F1 team also queried about delivery of that specific fabrication and did not want their name on the factory email.

#107 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 842 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 15:58

A bit aside from the car topic, but Vettel is apparently changing his trainer - http://twitter.com/#!/Kiril_Varbanov/s...960476918648833
Source: Auto Motor and Sport.

#108 handel

handel

• 415 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 19:46

A bit aside from the car topic, but Vettel is apparently changing his trainer - http://twitter.com/#!/Kiril_Varbanov/s...960476918648833
Source: Auto Motor and Sport.

What did it say? Looks to be deleted / doesn't exist / twitter is broken.

#109 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,306 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:19

It's funny to see that I posted in this topic.. I forgot it exists.

It's lucky that pages on the forum don't represent success or Redbull would be backmarkers. HRT has 12 pages vs Redbull's 3. :D

The good thing about Redbull since 2009, is you don't even have to talk about them on forums or scrutinise everything they do, because you know they will always be quick and near the front. Not even McLaren can claim that, despite their 120 page topics on here.

#110 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:30

Funny indeed. It shows how popular this team is. Red Bull won everything but the heart of fans. Webber does race a lot better if there was not rotten team adviser giving crown to Vettel. I stronglt believe Vettel should push Marko away if he were to be a real man.

BTW, RB7 has this very interesting rear body work. If Newey continues to do so and mount the pipe looking strongly downwards, integrated with break duct fins, could the exhaust blow still influence the rear diffuser sufficiently that:
1. it hear the rear tires up,
2. it prevent the recurrent of air towards the under the diffuser during braking,
3. it enforces the airflow around the diffuser at the fast corners.

or should it help slow corners by giving more rear wing down force...? This naturally with the idea that DRS will help at the fast corners.

#111 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:45

Funny indeed. It shows how popular this team is. Red Bull won everything but the heart of fans. Webber does race a lot better if there was not rotten team adviser giving crown to Vettel. I stronglt believe Vettel should push Marko away if he were to be a real man.

Confidence is strenght and while the dogs bark the caravan keeps hopefully going. ;)

Why should Vettel push away a team adviser with such good connection to the FIA that he manages to give him the crown even before the 2012 seasons begins? With Marko holding all the strings in F1 in his big hands victory for the dark energy drink force is all but certain.

Said that the engineering of the RB8 will once again be very interesting. I wonder if the teams move to link hydraulically the rear and the front suspension to control the pitch like Mercedes does within the rear to manage roll and heave.

Edited by H2H, 15 December 2011 - 09:47.

#112 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:33

What did it say? Looks to be deleted / doesn't exist / twitter is broken.

Vettel lose Tommi Pärmäkoski. Not good news for Vettel.

#113 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:42

Confidence is strenght and while the dogs bark the caravan keeps hopefully going.;)

Why should Vettel push away a team adviser with such good connection to the FIA that he manages to give him the crown even before the 2012 seasons begins? With Marko holding all the strings in F1 in his big hands victory for the dark energy drink force is all but certain.

Said that the engineering of the RB8 will once again be very interesting. I wonder if the teams move to link hydraulically the rear and the front suspension to control the pitch like Mercedes does within the rear to manage roll and heave.

Well from the dark side of the force I can see how to look at the perspectives that you are having.

But from the other side, of being a man to beat anyone on earth, you would rather say, forget Marko, I am going to organize everything around me from where I am now.

Or if Vettel have ball to compete Webber fist to fist with no daddy Marko's protectionism.

#114 Zava

Zava

• 4,978 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:23

I thought this is relevant in this topic:
http://www.scotcars....-role-for-lewis

HIGHLANDER LEWIS WILLIAMSON has joined the Red Bull Young Driver Development Programme [...] will also continue to spend time on the Red Bull F1 simulator helping develop the world champions' new 2012 racer.

so it seems Red Bull has the new simulator and reserve driver guy in line.

#115 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 974 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:34

BTW, RB7 has this very interesting rear body work. If Newey continues to do so and mount the pipe looking strongly downwards, integrated with break duct fins, could the exhaust blow still influence the rear diffuser sufficiently that:
1. it hear the rear tires up,
2. it prevent the recurrent of air towards the under the diffuser during braking,
3. it enforces the airflow around the diffuser at the fast corners.

or should it help slow corners by giving more rear wing down force...? This naturally with the idea that DRS will help at the fast corners.

The regulations next year mean the exhaust pipes must exit at certain angles, so facing them down is not permitted. The engine mappings have also been changed as well, preventing the blown diffuser from being used (in theory). I believe scarbsf1 had a blog about it, he said that from a center line of the car, the pipes can only move to a certain angle up or down. To my knowledge though, once there was an inkling that maybe teams could regain the blown effect, the over-runs were then regulated, so essentially all the teams should be the same in regards to the exhausts and the benefits they can regain.

Scarbs Blog on exhausts

#116 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 13:07

1. Heating the rear tire was said to be useful by critics on explaining the Qualify pace and the start acceleration of Vettel's car...
2. If you blow rear wing, rear wind may also suffer recurrent which end up in jumping rear?
3. Yes, cold blowing was omitted from a possibility but you have this Ferrari's channel solutions?

BTW Merc thingis interesting, as it looks like a new wing element around the chimney... Look, if you do make a periscope....

Edited by One, 15 December 2011 - 13:08.

#117 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 842 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 14:44

Gonna be the new flex floor scandal...

I disagree - the floor must be a flat structure, but a manufacturing tolerance of +/- 5mm was previously allowed. In order to minimize such potentially excessive and illegal flexiness, the metric has been changed down to +/- 3mm.

As for the flex of the front wing - I saw a post somewhere that FIA is looking into creating very stringent tests in regards to front wings, nothing official yet, however.

Edited by kvarbanov, 15 December 2011 - 14:45.

#118 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 14:52

I disagree - the floor must be a flat structure, but a manufacturing tolerance of +/- 5mm was previously allowed. In order to minimize such potentially excessive and illegal flexiness, the metric has been changed down to +/- 3mm.

As for the flex of the front wing - I saw a post somewhere that FIA is looking into creating very stringent tests in regards to front wings, nothing official yet, however.

Tolerance? Yes, but in racing at a speed a vert thin but strong floor can flex, then form wing section...

#119 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:29

Well the genius himself has spoken and it seems he is also stumped by the off-throttle ban..............he says its back to the drawing board for Red bull....maybe this can even things up!!!

http://www.planetf1....-Board-For-2012

Advertisement

#120 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:32

Well the genius himself has spoken and it seems he is also stumped by the off-throttle ban..............he says its back to the drawing board for Red bull....maybe this can even things up!!!

http://www.planetf1....-Board-For-2012

He said this a week ago. Every top team will have to go back to the drawing board with off-throttle blowing banned.

As we saw in Silverstone, Ferrari were the big winners by relying less on aero, McLaren were absolutely nowhere so they have plenty of work to do.

#121 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:27

I thought this is relevant in this topic:
http://www.scotcars....-role-for-lewis

so it seems Red Bull has the new simulator and reserve driver guy in line.

They have snatched up another promising talent? What are the other driver development programs doing?

#122 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,305 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 23:28

Great Murray Walker interview with Adrian Newey and Christian Horner about the RB8 but also about running the team, life at REd Bull compared to McLaren and thoughts on Sebastian.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...another_ye.html

#123 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:22

Great Murray Walker interview with Adrian Newey and Christian Horner about the RB8 but also about running the team, life at REd Bull compared to McLaren and thoughts on Sebastian.

Nice :up:

#124 Flamini

Flamini

• 799 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 20:08

hear, hear! could you post it in the RB8 thread? :blush:

From joseluisf1:

- Untested source: Rumour is that Newey & his guys achieved enormous downforce and they have a rocket again
- What is clear that RB8 is at least as good as RB7

He usually posts only about Ferrari so take this cautiously.

#125 Zava

Zava

• 4,978 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 20:36

From joseluisf1:

- Untested source: Rumour is that Newey & his guys achieved enormous downforce and they have a rocket again

thanks a lot! good news if true. :smoking:

#126 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 20:49

From joseluisf1:

I can believe it, Newey & Horner have both publicly said that the new car was going to be a beast.

#127 Aieljose

Aieljose

• 676 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 20:51

From joseluisf1:

): NOOOOOOOO!

#128 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 20:53

From joseluisf1:

I read (a rumor) somewhere that in the simulator tests the RB8 was already achieving more DF and it was 3 seconds faster than the RB7.It wouldn't surprise me.

#129 nimbus111

nimbus111

• 481 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 21:06

so another "to catch a red bull" year. hope the other teams keep up this time.

#130 purplejohn

purplejohn

• 1,601 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 21:07

I read it wasn't the car but Vettel because he is so good he makes the simulator quicker than its been programmed to go :up:

Edited by purplejohn, 28 December 2011 - 21:12.

#131 Zava

Zava

• 4,978 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 21:08

I read (a rumor) somewhere that in the simulator tests the RB8 was already achieving more DF and it was 3 seconds faster than the RB7.It wouldn't surprise me.

I don't believe that. shouldn't that be 3 tenths of a second?

edit: or sarcasm, I don't get it?

Edited by Zava, 28 December 2011 - 21:15.

#132 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,822 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 21:13

I read it wasn't the car but Vettel because he is so good he makes the simulator quicker than its been programmed to go :up:

:lol: I'm usually not so petty, but this works wonderfully as satire.

Edit: I'm surprised to see flyer21 hasn't already agreed with your post.

Edited by Kvothe, 28 December 2011 - 21:15.

#133 Concorde

Concorde

• 782 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 21:14

Thanks for that link, very interesting and I must say it looks all very confident.
What stood out for me was Newey on Vettel "never the same mistake twice and No Hollywood" and DC being credited as the one who warmed up Newey to Red Bull.

#134 purplejohn

purplejohn

• 1,601 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 21:14

Vettel testing the RB8 in the simulator

#135 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 21:15

It was a rumor and it was 3 seconds not tenths.
wewillsee

#136 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,729 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 21:56

edit: or sarcasm, I don't get it?

The 3 seconds was Vettel.

The 3 tenths was Webber.

;)

#137 Concorde

Concorde

• 782 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 22:30

The 3 seconds was Vettel.

The 3 tenths was Webber.

Ouch :lol:

#138 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 00:01

I read it's made out of kumquat.

#139 theTruth

theTruth

• 516 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 00:05

Ouch :lol:

Yeah, that's exactly what I was going to say, because there's more than one way to read that 3 seconds/3 tenths thing. :cool:

Advertisement

#140 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 00:15

I heard Vettel isn't allowed to use the simmulator too often, because he goes back in time in it.

#141 JV97

JV97

• 199 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 00:20

Stands to reason that whatever they're getting away with this year in terms of flexing or whatever, they'll have advanced even more next year.

#142 Zava

Zava

• 4,978 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 00:22

I heard Vettel isn't allowed to use the simmulator too often, because he goes back in time in it.

I guess that made him old enough for 2010 already to not take the youngest ever WDC from Lewis? :smoking:

#143 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,585 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 00:25

It's rumored it's so advanced it was actually assembled in space.

#144 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 00:36

Im already scared, but whats keeping me positive is this has happened so many times before, the 93 McLaren breaking lap records in pre season testing only to be spanked...the prost in 2001 broke the track record only tobe spanked, Ferrari the last 2 years were 'favourites' only to be put in the shade...I just hope, even if its a good car, that it isnt SO good that theres no competition, Ive sat through 92, Ive sat through 93, 2002, 2004, 2011, theres other years but these are the standouts for most dominent NON McLaren car, I dont want to sit through a 2012 like that. 2012 has the ingredients to be one of the classic seasons, hope it isnt ruined by boring racing!

#145 Zava

Zava

• 4,978 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 00:53

Im already scared, but whats keeping me positive is this has happened so many times before, the 93 McLaren breaking lap records in pre season testing only to be spanked...the prost in 2001 broke the track record only tobe spanked, Ferrari the last 2 years were 'favourites' only to be put in the shade...I just hope, even if its a good car, that it isnt SO good that theres no competition, Ive sat through 92, Ive sat through 93, 2002, 2004, 2011, theres other years but these are the standouts for most dominent NON McLaren car, I dont want to sit through a 2012 like that. 2012 has the ingredients to be one of the classic seasons, hope it isnt ruined by boring racing!

this year wasn't ruined by boring racing either - it was the boring championship 'fight'.

#146 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:43

Well I should have chosen better words, the racing was still good, but when Vettel is 10seconds down the road in every race it takes an excitement element over who will win. Most of the time it was a race for 2nd place and while that isnt SO bad, it isnt the same as a race for first. I want seasons like 2003 where there are numerous people that can win any given race. Or 2000 where there were two top teams, but their performance were so close that the race for first was a tense one.

#147 JimmyRecard

JimmyRecard

• 32 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:50

Anyone can show pace in preseason testing, Sauber and Williams have topped the sheets a few times over the last few years. The difference with Red Bull is they are always around the mark during preseason and then unleash their real pace in P3 at the first race. I will be very surprised if the RB8 isnt a good 3-4 tenths faster than anyone else in Q3 at Melbourne.

In Newey we trust!

#148 theTruth

theTruth

• 516 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:23

Stands to reason that whatever they're getting away with this year in terms of flexing or whatever, they'll have advanced even more next year.

Stands to reason also that the other top teams know what it is and will be improving on it as well. No?

#149 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:52

Stands to reason also that the other top teams know what it is and will be improving on it as well. No?

No.

#150 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 985 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:01

I heard a rumour that the RB8 will be so quick that Red Bull will only use one driver. He will drive the whole grand prix distance but for one lap and then change to the second car and drive the whole grand prix distance. With the amazing speed of the RB8, the cars will still finish first and second.