Photo
* * * - - 10 votes

The RB8 - The 2012 Red Bull Racing car (merged)

• Please log in to reply
3538 replies to this topic

#1651 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,545 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:31

Just some random info in here, Everyone uses the starter hole. Its not a red bull invention and everyone has been doing it for years now.
About the new exhaust and introducing it. There are pros and cons. Did they wait to hide or just to maximize time in the wind tunnel i don't know. In the beginning both i think, but as it turned out many other teams choose that route so, it was probably more to maximize development and wind tunnel time.
Rb's solution admitted is nice, their ability to shrink everything is just amazing. I know shrinking is not all, but it has somehow been made a trademark, in how to judge a cars performance :-).
Also amazing is red bulls trust in their tools, cfd/windtunnel. When ebd was introduced it was difficult for a lot of teams to simulate. Even simple solutions where difficult for many. With this latest solution rb's level of complication in the back is amazing. Does it work, i don't know, but it being red bull I'm pretty sure it will.
That said, i think Mclarens more simple solution, from my armchair, seems to less interrupt the lower airflow around the sidepods. But from a technical point of view, rb's solution is spectacular.

Still, i really hope we kick your asses this year, just to shut up Marko. :-)

Edited by f1rules, 04 March 2012 - 08:36.

Advertisement

#1652 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,545 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:46

Sauber and to a lesser degree Williams try to achieve a similar purpose with the exhaust plume by similar 'feeding' mean, a long ramp drawing the air towards the exterior part diffusor. The biggest difference (there are others) is the Undercut/S--Duct, which redirects a good deal of the air flow which should on the Sauber design bend the plume inwards, making it considerably less effective at sealing the diffusor at the interior of the tyre and further behind.

And this way to manage airflow is actually closer to the mclaren solution. Mclaren just doesn't fit bodywork all the way to the floor for flow attachment. Hence less influence on the air going round the sidepods. Which solution is better we will now soon, and it will be very easy for whoever is wrong to copy.

#1653 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,270 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:09

Again, that is my point. Those are upgrades. Look at the examples you gave, common, even you can see they pale in comparison to the number of BIG updates they put on this time. It almost effectively is a totally different car. There really isn't a lot more to add tot he car to call it a brand new car all together. For the tiniest amount of update , you need to hours of data collecting, not to mention a massive revamp. The only argument is to say updates aren't really that drastic, which they clearly are

I mean if Redbull last the last 2 years as you mentioned had a few updates to the rear of the car or a new exhaust, we would all just say 'yep, that was all planned'. But, they have changed even the bloody chasis, they have changed the front and back end, the sidepods, almost everything. The cause for concern is a logical one as we can't look back in F1 history to find any other reason where this happens except in panic/emergency. Newey does not equal God

then that's the point.
If you think the update is NOT pre-planned, and that such sophisticated, intricate and well-designed package is emergency copy thing, either you simply dont know about manufacturing - design and production process, or you're overrating Newey/RBR capability way too much.  ;)
In order for that to be emergency, they designed and built it within one month. Simply impossible. If such sophisticated package really were emergency/copy...then THAT would be true shock for other teams. It means Newey is more than just genius and RBR team more than just formidable...It takes God! :eek:
I rate Newey/RBR very highly and admire them, but not that much. :p

#1654 F1Maestro

F1Maestro

• 147 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:17

then that's the point.
If you think the update is NOT pre-planned, and that such sophisticated, intricate and well-designed package is emergency copy thing, either you simply dont know about manufacturing - design and production process, or you're overrating Newey/RBR capability way too much.;)
In order for that to be emergency, they designed and built it within one month. Simply impossible. If such sophisticated package really were emergency/copy...then THAT would be true shock for other teams. It means Newey is more than just genius and RBR team more than just formidable...It takes God! :eek:

It's all if and buts really. But, as I said point me to a time in F1 history where there's been such a drastic change in EVERYTHING in the last 2 days of testing without it being an emergency..

Anyway, we'll see. I'm not saying they didn't have plans for updates, but they could have well been revised for a newer concept. It happens, especially having seen other solutions.

Yesterdays underwhelming comments from mark and even todays dodgy running seems to prove the credit a bit of my skeptimism

Edited by F1Maestro, 04 March 2012 - 09:28.

#1655 orndorf

orndorf

• 379 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:35

Wonder what it is they are trying so hard to hide?

#1656 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:35

Yesterdays underwhelming comments from mark and even todays dodgy running seems to prove the credit a bit of my skeptimism

The fact that you're forming an opinion on Webber's comments says a lot...

If you genuinely expected Webber to come out and say to the media 'f*ck me lads the cars a beast! Ferrari, McLaren, send your boys over to get their photos as we've got the answers here' is unbelievable.

#1657 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,281 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:47

almost two hours of testing down the drain for Vettel and RBR. :|

#1658 F1Maestro

F1Maestro

• 147 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:49

The fact that you're forming an opinion on Webber's comments says a lot...

If you genuinely expected Webber to come out and say to the media 'f*ck me lads the cars a beast! Ferrari, McLaren, send your boys over to get their photos as we've got the answers here' is unbelievable.

Love the fact that you also ignored the other part of the point i made lol...If you were smart you will damn well know Mclaren as well as other teams, as well as US lol, have already seen everything that is visible to a camera on the RB8. It doesn't matter whether he was jumping for joy or skeptical, everythingis already out in he open. Who should i believe, Webber or YOU lol...I never said I formed an opinion, I just remained skeptical as to why soo much change soo late

Edited by F1Maestro, 04 March 2012 - 09:53.

#1659 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,281 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:53

Love the fact that you also ignored the other part of the point i made lol

have to agree with that one. today's looking dodgy indeed. Especially after the little running they've had yesterday.

Advertisement

#1660 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:53

almost two hours of testing down the drain for Vettel and RBR. :|

Not the end of the world, plenty of time left in the day still!

#1661 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:04

I will try to make my point of view about the exhaust systems of Ferrari, McLaren, Sauber and RBR as clear as possible:

1) All of them try to "seal" the diffusor with the hot exhaust gasses to increase the downforce. It allows to run a relative high rake. The theory was already discussed here and in other places.

2) The RB7 pioneered the most effective way [and most copied] by ducting the hot gas as close possible to the key areas right between the diffusor and the tyres. This way a very high percentage of the exhaust energy could used for the intended purpose (1). This in turn made off-throttle blowing even more attractive, complicated engine mapping a must and mandated a bigger fuel tank for it's heavy use during the races.

3) So how they want to achieve that?

a) McLaren and Ferrari try to blow it into that area over the strong airstream flowing around the low part of the sidepods. Thus the Ferrari elongated sidepods and the McLaren bulge.
b) Sauber and Red Bull try to blow it into that area along/aside by attaching the exhaust gas on a surface. Thus Sauber and RBR have that sidepods ending into a ramp. This creates problems with the strong airstream flowing around the low parts of the sidepods which were formerly 'solved ' by adopting a smooth coke bottle rear.

4) So why the so much fuss about the RBR and not the Sauber?

The RB8 has undercut sidepods, a considerable tunnel ducting a good deal of airstream coming around the sidepods which should considerably lessen their negative impact on the 'ramp' solution. The exhaust ducts are also bend outwards so that the plume attaches mostly on the outside of the ramp, right behind the entrance of the sidepod tunnels. There are also long small vanes in front of tyres to fence the hot plume in and to direct it into the sides of the diffusor. (The design of the starter hole and it's blowing by the interior channels of the tunnel is also very interesting but not as central to the topic).

5) What is best?

Impossible to say. Ferrari and McLaren have a clean lower cokebottle but have elongated and bulging upper sidepods ends and lack a physical surface to attached the exhaust flow which might reduce the amount of it reaching the intended areas. Sauber has said surface with the ramp but has to give up the lower cokebottle shape. RBR might have by the looks the best of both worlds but the whole package looks very complex and challenging.

6) Is it easy to copy?

It depends a great deal on the internal layout and packaging of the car and the complexity of the various solution. To make an example the DD was much easier to copy for some teams then it was for RBR has the whole rear was packaged in different way. My personal guess is that the RB8 system is due to it's level of complexity and deep integration into the whole car design the most difficult to copy, but also the other will take very considerable effort especially due to the lack of testing and as great deal of the sidepod design has to be completly changed. As I said before the amount of effort will vary from car to car depending on the specs of the 'copee' car and the 'copycator' car.

Of course this is all just my personal opinion, based on a decent study of all available material.

Edited by H2H, 04 March 2012 - 10:48.

#1662 F1Maestro

F1Maestro

• 147 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:04

Indeed, plenty of time to sort any issues and i am sure RB8 will be fast, how can it not be.

#1663 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,545 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:12

I agree with most you say. Im just not sure that enough good air is passing trough a small tunnel like that. Thats all. But its pure speculation. Mclaren seem to nurse their air flowing round the sidepod more while red bull relies more on the exhaust, thats why they dedicate a ramp for flow attachment. The mclaren exhaust outlet is also closer to the rear which means more energetic flow, but i quess also more prone for instability when its not blowing. We will see which is better soon. And the other can easily adapt so. Its all in the detail and who has made the best compromise. The last two years that was RB, i hope this time its not :-)

#1664 tommyhjortasen

tommyhjortasen

• 587 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:33

Any news from the RedBull garage, some sort of problem?

#1665 mistareno

mistareno

• 325 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:39

10:37 @RedBullRacing: Flexi nose malfunctioning, be out soon....

Posted Image

#1666 flowvis

flowvis

• 28 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:40

Posted Image

Broken front wing?
:lol:

#1667 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:44

I will try to make my point of view about the exhaust systems of Ferrari, McLaren, Sauber and RBR.
(...)

:up:

#1668 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 581 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:52

10:37 @RedBullRacing: Flexi nose malfunctioning, be out soon....

Posted Image

Haha :clap:

#1669 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 804 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:09

Posted Image

Wow, the FW seems different, the splitter supports/vanes are different, and the vanes under the RW are also different looking (at least in these photos). Doesn't look like a quickie 'lets try and copy Macca/Sauber/ or anyone else ... looks like the real thing to me. Oh, and they have also changed the exhaust ... thanks for that GTG :wave:

#1670 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 581 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:16

Wow, the FW seems different, the splitter supports/vanes are different, and the vanes under the RW are also different looking (at least in these photos). Doesn't look like a quickie 'lets try and copy Macca/Sauber/ or anyone else ... looks like the real thing to me. Oh, and they have also changed the exhaust ... thanks for that GTG :wave:

Welcome to yesterday morning mate...

#1671 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:22

post 1669 pictures - did nose lower lip seems open in the second picture?

#1672 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,613 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:31

post 1669 pictures - did nose lower lip seems open in the second picture?

Ha I thought that looked odd as well but I'm pretty sure that its the camera pods on the side of the nose and the angle the shot is taken from...

#1673 F1Maestro

F1Maestro

• 147 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:39

then that's the point.
If you think the update is NOT pre-planned, and that such sophisticated, intricate and well-designed package is emergency copy thing, either you simply dont know about manufacturing - design and production process, or you're overrating Newey/RBR capability way too much. ;)

Still confident that your Mr Newey had this all planned out from the start :confused: I doubt it Lol...This has proved my point. It is an entirely new concept redbull has gone for.

They haven't even got to testing the updates properly, not to mention evaluating tyres and race sims

#1674 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:41

You have not proved anything. I would be really wary to write RB off.

#1675 F1Maestro

F1Maestro

• 147 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:44

You have not proved anything. I would be really wary to write RB off.

Of course I won't write them off, I know they will still be very quick...Just saying I don't think this is what RB had planned all along. i.e to change their whole concept in the last 2 days of testing. No time to run current configuration and sorting out problems like we are seeing now. This wouldn't make sense if it was just a case of waiting so other teams cannot see what they were doing, that's pathetic and waste of time and resources

Edited by F1Maestro, 04 March 2012 - 11:45.

#1676 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:07

Posted Image

Hmmm interesting.And now they're not running,a lot of people speculated they had some kind of wing adjustment in the past.I'm thinking ''something'' failed unintentionally.

I will love Horner's explanation regardless.

#1677 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,928 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:23

Fantastic comparison pics of the RB8. They made such a big change with the sidepods to make them drop, even when the earlier RB8 already had a shrink wrapped design.

Just my opinion but both designs look to be a trade off, maybe that's why the performance of the new step isn't quite there. The older version aids flows around the sidepods to the rear and merges with the top flow as well. The newer version has a larger downwash effect but the airflow around the sidepod is hindered with the trailing edge of the sidepod falling right to the floor, to compensate they open up the ducts to give the airflow around the sidepods a path, but it doesn't look to work as well as the earlier design as the flows are treated separately in the new upgrade, but the new upgrade gives the ability to blow the starter hole more.

Regarding the flexing front wing, maybe they want the front wing to push the car at the front raising the rear ride height increasing the rake angle.

Edited by F1Champion, 04 March 2012 - 12:25.

#1678 Grundle

Grundle

• 722 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:30

Thank you helmet for your copying dig at Mclaren, now when you turn up at melb with a bulge you will look pathetic
on the other hand you could be too proud and stick with your inferior, smacks of trying to be clever, ramp.

#1679 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:38

Fantastic comparison pics of the RB8. They made such a big change with the sidepods to make them drop, even when the earlier RB8 already had a shrink wrapped design.

Just my opinion but both designs look to be a trade off, maybe that's why the performance of the new step isn't quite there. The older version aids flows around the sidepods to the rear and merges with the top flow as well. The newer version has a larger downwash effect but the airflow around the sidepod is hindered with the trailing edge of the sidepod falling right to the floor, to compensate they open up the ducts to give the airflow around the sidepods a path, but it doesn't look to work as well as the earlier design as the flows are treated separately in the new upgrade, but the new upgrade gives the ability to blow the starter hole more.

Regarding the flexing front wing, maybe they want the front wing to push the car at the front raising the rear ride height increasing the rake angle.

High levels of rake aren't as beneficial now that the EBD is virtually gone, the exhaust gases used to seal the outside the of the diffuser meaning you could run more rake effectively making the diffuser bigger and producing more DF. Now that it isn't able to be done to anywhere near the level of last year having too much rake will actually cost you DF as theres nothing to "seal" the outside of the diffuser.

N.B. My knowledge is based on the usual internet stuff and is in no way reliable, so that could all be tosh! :lol:

Advertisement

#1680 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:48

With the kindest will in the world, knowledgeable people such as Scarbs have said all along that the exhaust would change and Scarbs has even pointed out today parts that were on the car at launch specifically to work with this exhaust...

But hey, im sure 'F1maestro' is far more qualified and knowledgeable in his belief RB have 'panicked' :rotfl: :rotfl:

#1681 apoka

apoka

• 3,611 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:51

3 hours left now to do some serious testing. I would have liked to see a race sim of the "real RB8", but I am not sure whether they will manage to set up the car for that in the remaining time.

#1682 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:53

3 hours left now to do some serious testing. I would have liked to see a race sim of the "real RB8", but I am not sure whether they will manage to set up the car for that in the remaining time.

The gearbox needs to be changed, according to AMuS.

#1683 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:55

Still confident that your Mr Newey had this all planned out from the start :confused: I doubt it Lol...This has proved my point. It is an entirely new concept redbull has gone for.

They haven't even got to testing the updates properly, not to mention evaluating tyres and race sims

It could very well be a new concept AND it could still be the car to beat in a fortnight in Australia.

#1684 apoka

apoka

• 3,611 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:57

The gearbox needs to be changed, according to AMuS.

That probably means there are just 1-2 hours left unless the RB mechanics are really fast. :|

#1685 sebomaniac

sebomaniac

• 159 posts

Newey has apparently told Andrew Benson that RBR have no plans of doing a race sim today. There goes our only hope of gauging how fast the newer version of the RB8 is.

#1686 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,863 posts

It could very well be a new concept AND it could still be the car to beat in a fortnight in Australia.

Could be - and probably will be.

But I have a sneaky feeling that Red Bull are a little bit in the shit :smoking:

#1687 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 13:03

Hmm.

Interesting to hear WEB say that its all just minor tweaks. though he plays everything down constantly. I think they will be on the front row come Melbourne. Remember this time last year, everyone was saying Ferrari had them.

#1688 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,863 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 13:06

Hmm.

Interesting to hear WEB say that its all just minor tweaks. though he plays everything down constantly. I think they will be on the front row come Melbourne. Remember this time last year, everyone was saying Ferrari had them.

But at the same time you had the likes of Heidfeld saying that the RB7 was destroying everyone - and not to look at the headline times.

That magnitude of advantage, observed from trackside, doesn't seem to be being reported this year.

#1689 badyl

badyl

• 83 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 13:13

Haha :clap:

Once upon a time people were laughted at broken FW in RB... and all in all it didn't proved so funny :well:

#1690 F1Maestro

F1Maestro

• 147 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 13:37

With the kindest will in the world, knowledgeable people such as Scarbs have said all along that the exhaust would change and Scarbs has even pointed out today parts that were on the car at launch specifically to work with this exhaust...

But hey, im sure 'F1maestro' is far more qualified and knowledgeable in his belief RB have 'panicked' :rotfl: :rotfl:

First off, he didn't know Redbull would change, he made an educated guess. We all knew Redbull would have updates with exhausts anyway....What we didn't know was that they would go a totally different direction and no amount of rolling yellow head emoticons nor scarbs can say otherwise. Not a panic as such, but a late late design as evidenced by lack of running and reliability. It's like a day one running of a new chasis...

Afterall, they know more than anyone that if you are going to change pretty much the whole concept of the car you ran for a whole 2 tests and a half, then you need need more than 2 days to test it

#1691 JV97

JV97

• 199 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 13:39

As much as I'd like to think RBR are struggling a little, really don't think it's the case. That's a very tidy update and given the language I've no doubt it was planned. Vettel talking about how they 'should be ok' with the new update (before it even arrived) leads me to believe a) it was planned, not a panic reaction and b) they know it's a pretty big step forward. Downplaying it a lot imo

#1692 F1Maestro

F1Maestro

• 147 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 13:40

Hmm.

What are you talking about, they had super reliability and hardly any probems in testing last year. Also, didn't have a new car to test on last 2 days of testing

#1693 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 13:42

First off, he didn't know Redbull would change, he made an educated guess. We all knew Redbull would have updates with exhausts anyway....What we didn't know was that they would go a totally different direction and no amount of rolling yellow head emoticons nor scarbs can say otherwise. Not a panic as such, but a late late design as evidenced by lack of running and reliability. It's like a day one running of a new chasis...

Afterall, they know more than anyone that if you are going to change pretty much the whole concept of the car you ran for a whole 2 tests and a half, then you need need more than 2 days to test it

How would you explain that rudimentary heat protection on rear suspension parts that appeared during first test and disappeared once they bolted on this new package?

#1694 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 13:43

The lack of laps today is of course far from good. Luckily Webber got yesterday a good run with 70 so they should already got a lot of data and Vettel sounds pretty confident

"Wir hätten uns gewünscht, mehr zu fahren. Aber wir hoffen, dass das am Nachmittag klappt. So ist es leider: Manchmal ist der Hund drin. Alles in allem können wir zufrieden sein. Das Auto hat sich - bis auf heute - gut benommen. Ich war zufrieden mit dem Gefühl im Auto. Auch mit den neuen Teilen sind wir ganz zufrieden. Der Rest wird sich in Australien zeigen."

"Es ist ganz normal, dass ein neues Auto noch ein bisschen rumzickt. So lange es schnell ist, kann man das verzeihen. Ich freue mich schon, in Melbourne mit der "Zicke" an den Start zu gehen. Ich denke, wir sind gut dabei. Wir schätzen McLaren stark ein. Mercedes definitiv stärker als im Jahr zuvor. Ferrari scheint im Moment noch ein bisschen Schwierigkeiten zu haben. Lotus ist vielleicht ein Geheimtipp. Auch andere Teams darf man nicht vergessen - Sauber, Force India - die Zeiten muss man erst einmal fahren. Ich denke, es ist alles etwas enger zusammen."

Although Mark was downplaying the upgrade he sounded very confident about his chances to fight upfront. After looking at all the facts I'm quite confident too that RBR will have a competitive car this year, hopefully earning the third WDC and the third WCC in a row.

----

And please guys, just let those 1-2 trolls repeating their nonsense trolling along without giving them any attention. They made it already pretty clear that they have not understand a thing about the sport and the engineering behind it. Any explaining seems to be fruitless, so it is better to save the time and the effort.

Edited by H2H, 04 March 2012 - 13:48.

#1695 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 13:52

problems with UPGRADE....

Ferrari seems not to be the only car in trouble :drunk:

#1696 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,270 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 13:59

what do you mean by your mr Newey, what made you think I'm a RBR fan in particular? :rolleyes: I'm a fan of every team, have soft spot for all the teams for different reasons. I'm just stating as an F1 fan that it's a new concept that has been planned out from the start and not 1 month job, and I didnt mean anything more than that.
If it were messy, copy&paste patchwork, I wouldve thought exact same as you. But it's not.

#1697 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 14:01

From the autosport article

"So far not so good," said Vettel of his day during the lunch break. "We would love to be on the circuit more, but this morning I had an issue.

"I went off track and broke the front wing and had to come in, and it took quite a while to get back out and just before lunch we suffered a problem with the gearbox so we have to fix it and get back out after lunch."

He admitted it was hard to judge the updates introduced yesterday because of the lack of running.

"It would not be fair to judge it because I haven't enough laps on the track yet with the new car. Yesterday was quite a decent step and a good day for Mark, so hopefully I get a few more laps in the afternoon."

And the world champion said he is not making any predictions about the pecking order for the Australian Grand Prix.

"Last year was too long ago, I can't remember. I think it is always a bit the same, you never know where you are until you get to Melbourne and everyone puts their pants down - and you can see what they have got and you show what you have got in qualifying.

"Until then we still will not know, but if we have a good Friday and the team is on top of Friday that will probably be the likely be the same on Saturday."

#1698 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 14:07

From AMuS

Probleme mit Red Bull-Update?

Der Einfluss der heißen Auspuffgase auf die Aerodynamik ist etwas, das sich auch in den besten Windkanälen nur schwer simulieren lässt. "Dazu musst du auf die Rennstrecke", erklärt Mercedes-Ingenieur Aldo Costa. In keinem anderen Gebiet ist die Korrelation zwischen Windkanal und Rennstrecke mit so großen Fehlern behaftet. Die Temperaturfühler im Heck des Red Bull könnten ein Indiz dafür sein, dass die Auspuffgase nicht mit der Intensität oder Temperatur im Heck ankommen, wie sich das die Erfinder gedacht haben.

Dazu könnten die Beobachtungen von Streckenspionen passen. Der frühere Jordan-Ingenieur Gary Anderson hatte den Eindruck, dass sich das Fahrverhalten des Red Bull mit den neuen Teilen am Auto verändert hätte. "Webber war nicht mehr in der Lage, so präzise einzulenken wie vorher. Die Linie schwankte von Runde zu Runde."

Doch was wollten die Red Bull-Mechaniker am Morgen mit ihren Regenschirmen verbergen? Sie hielten ihre Schirme im Bereich der Hinterräder über den Unterboden. Auf den ersten Blick ließ sich dort nichts Neues entdecken. Es ist aber möglich, dass Red Bull über Nacht die Position der Hitzeprotektoren geändert hat und nicht wollte, dass man davon Fotos macht. Die Hitzeschilde könnten der Konkurrenz verraten, wo der Auspuffstrahl am Unterboden auftritt.

Nothing much of substance really and mostly based on the impression of Gary Anderson yesterday about Marks RB8. To conclude from the considerable use of sensors and a potentially nervous yar yesterday that the upgrade was problematic is a bit much, but part of the media game I guess.

We will see in Oz...

Edited by H2H, 04 March 2012 - 14:08.

#1699 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 14:55

The controversy is in a lower tunnel, which is detailed in the chart-, where they intend to pass the air through the car body itself to come out in the desired part. They try to gain some of that provided downforce blown exhaust system that brings all the teams head. The FIA technical delegate Charlie Whiting has clarified that this can not be done, for what is to be seen if they will use in Melbourne.

Advertisement

#1700 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 15:13

Does that mean that if it is deemed that at least some of the exhaust will fall into the diffuser slot (even if that is not the design intention) then that would constitute re-ingesting exhaust gasses for positive effect?