Photo
* * * - - 10 votes

The RB8 - The 2012 Red Bull Racing car (merged)

• Please log in to reply
3538 replies to this topic

#251 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,904 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 17:20

could it be some promo run car? imo, the car looks a little too 'basic' for want of a better word. i guess that may be due to the angle or the lack of stickers.
i dont think that is the RB8

Advertisement

#252 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 17:25

Could be new promo car, as they will be allowed to have newer spec parts

#253 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 17:49

Isnt it the RB5, 2009?

#254 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,140 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 17:54

Isnt it the RB5, 2009?

Nope, DRS rear wing. It's RB7 with new nose.

#255 Starish

Starish

• 985 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 18:04

Isnt it the RB5, 2009?

Clearly RB8

#256 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 18:07

Clearly RB8

Indeed :)

#257 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 18:12

Clearly RB8

Indeed :)

Actually.

Nope, DRS rear wing. It's RB7 with new nose.

#258 Starish

Starish

• 985 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 18:15

Actually.

That was meant as *Sarcasm* , lol my bad... its just an RB7, the lack of stickers just confuse you a little.

Edited by Starish, 12 January 2012 - 18:17.

#259 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 18:21

It's RB7!

Also that nose would be illegal in 2012.

Advertisement

#260 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 18:22

Actually.

Sarcasm fail.

#261 plumtree

plumtree

• 712 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 19:12

http://twitter.com/#!/frasersheader

Run done now back in the pits. #loud #f1 http://yfrog.com/nvta3udj

BTW, this seems like the original source of the picture?

#262 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 20:31

Looks more like a photoshop.

If it were a straightline test they would run at an airfield. Not a track for a start.

#263 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,632 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 21:23

It's RB7!

Also that nose would be illegal in 2012.

I think it is an RB7 too, but I am not so sure the nose would be illegal this year. I mean height-wise.

#264 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 21:57

I think it is an RB7 too, but I am not so sure the nose would be illegal this year. I mean height-wise.

It's too high, especially ahead of the front axle, to comply with this year's regulations.

The interesting thing is, what's legality of this testing. I guess it's sold as demo run.

#265 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 22:02

Looks quite similar to this RB7?

http://motocarswallp...ac-f1photos.jpg

#266 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,632 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 22:05

It's too high, especially ahead of the front axle, to comply with this year's regulations.

The interesting thing is, what's legality of this testing. I guess it's sold as demo run.

Not necessarily, if they have not used up all 4 straight-line test opportunities. Though at this time of the year, those could come in handy converted to extra wind-tunnel time.

edit: I forgot its january.

Edited by Szoelloe, 12 January 2012 - 22:05.

#267 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 22:06

Its an RB7, the exhaust layout doesn't comply with the 2012 regs i think, probs just a straight line test.

#268 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 22:06

Notice the exhausts are last years only difference i can see is maybe the nose rounder/fatter and the pod looks like it points inwards more then the RB7

#269 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 13:46

It was. The had to make sure they kept enough in their tyres for the start of races, and they still dominated qualifying regardless. I'm sure they could have been much faster.

Not really. Red Bull are really quite dominant right now and you can still find out where their shortcomings are. They still have an engine that is lacking top end power, although I'm sure Total and Renault have bent the rules and improved a bit as other engine manufacturers have done. As for solutions, you're getting blinded by the EBD. They already have a very efficient aerodynamic car that actually magnifies any innovation that they put on it. It's not the innovation, like the EBD, itself that really matters.

The thing that hardened my opinion last season was what happened after the summer break, or in the case of other teams, what didn't happen. There were two races in Spa and Monza where other teams would have expected to have had an advantage and it was a great opportunity for them to catch up and try and make a fight of the championship. What happened was Red Bull put in a development programme to improve on the areas where they were weak, namely straight line performance in Spa and Monza, and they ended up dominating both races. What on Earth McLaren and Ferrari were doing I have no idea.

My friend, if you can't see that a confident prediction of 10 years (ten years!!) of dominance such as the one you made is anything but utterly ridiculous then I can't assist any further. I expect no one can. In fact it would be a confident prediction to say that RBR would definitely be around in 10 years time, let alone claim there is little doubt that they will dominate for a decade.

#270 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,141 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 14:14

just looks like last years and they've pulled most of the sponsor stickers off making it look a bit weird/different

#271 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,904 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:22

Christian Horner says Red Bull 'burning midnight oil' to make first Formula 1 test of 2012
By Simon Strang and Matt Beer

Red Bull Racing remains on course to have its 2012 car ready for the first winter Formula 1 test on 7 February, though team boss Christian Horner admitted that there was plenty of hard work ahead in the weeks before the Jerez sessions.

The champion team's technical boss Adrian Newey said last month that the aim was to be ready for the opening test despite the new rule that crash tests had to be passed before testing, and Mercedes having opted to wait until the second test before rolling out its 2012 contender. Horner confirmed that Red Bull was still aiming to be ready for Jerez despite the challenge presented by the revised crash test regulations.

"At the moment things seem to be progressing well and the factory is incredibly busy, as I'm sure all the teams are at this time of the year," said Horner on the main stage at AUTOSPORT International.

"And of course there is the added challenge this year of trying to pass the crash test before we test it for the first time. That's the same for everybody and we are burning the midnight oil at Milton Keynes at the moment.

"We plan to be at that first test, that's on our schedule."

Horner said Red Bull was not paying too much attention to any reports of its rivals' winter progress yet.

"It's always difficult to tell at this time of year," he said. "It's the month of January and we don't see any of the other teams so there are obviously bits of speculation that float around and snippets that come out here and there.

"But we are very much focused on keeping our heads down and going about our own business and at the end of the day it only counts what happens in Melbourne onwards.

"There have been big changes over the last few years, whether it has been getting rid of the F-duct, getting rid of the double diffuser, there have always been changes in evolution or introductions like DRS and new tyres, and we got rid of refuelling a few years ago. That's all part of F1 and as a technical group I think we have proven to be adept at changing to different regulations, but we don't underestimate McLaren and Ferrari or even Mercedes.

"We will only know where we are when the fuel comes out of the car in qualifying in Melbourne in nine weeks' time."

From Main Page

i guess most teams are having issues with these new crash test regs. apart from McLaren, who seemed to have passed their tests in December.

#272 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:17

i guess most teams are having issues with these new crash test regs. apart from McLaren, who seemed to have passed their tests in December.

I believe Air Asia F1 were first to pass crash test.

The first sheet of carbon fibre wasnt laid on the RB8 until the first week of January though.

#273 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,140 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:31

I believe Air Asia F1 were first to pass crash test.

The first sheet of carbon fibre wasnt laid on the RB8 until the first week of January though.

I am very sceptical about this. The tub and gearbox are carbon fibre and take a long lead time to produce. There is no way they'd only start making this four weeks before the first test - especially when you consider how much bodywork etc they'll have to make to put on the car.

#274 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 14:44

My friend, if you can't see that a confident prediction of 10 years (ten years!!) of dominance such as the one you made is anything but utterly ridiculous then I can't assist any further.

Nope. As I said, you look at the shortcomings they have now even having been dominant and there's room for improvement. 2014 is an opportunity for them to catch up on the engine front with Renault and the top end power they've lacked. It's a bitter pill for many to swallow to think about those things, but it's by no means the stretch you're trying to claim.

In fact it would be a confident prediction to say that RBR would definitely be around in 10 years time...

That's a case of very wishful thinking and there is no reason to believe they won't. McLaren and Lewis Hamilton had those thoughts a few months ago, and it roughly translates as "Well, if we can't beat them maybe they'll get bored and pull out". It's a little desperate.

Edited by cilurnum, 15 January 2012 - 14:47.

#275 handel

handel

• 413 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 14:57

Nope. As I said, you look at the shortcomings they have now even having been dominant and there's room for improvement. 2014 is an opportunity for them to catch up on the engine front with Renault and the top end power they've lacked. It's a bitter pill for many to swallow to think about those things, but it's by no means the stretch you're trying to claim.

That's a case of very wishful thinking and there is no reason to believe they won't. McLaren and Lewis Hamilton had those thoughts a few months ago, and it roughly translates as "Well, if we can't beat them maybe they'll get bored and pull out". It's a little desperate.

Just picking up on one of your points - does anyone have any links to some solid evidence that the Renault unit is actually down on power?

#276 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 15:38

This was the last big bit of acoustic analysis made public at the end of 2009:

http://www.jamesalle...rmance-in-2009/
http://translate.goo...=...l=&ie=UTF-8

Being homologated, these figures should still hold but it's clear that manufacturers have been managing to improve their engines regardless. Renault almost certainly have caught on to what Mercedes have been doing, but the it's the top end power of the engine that's the problem.

#277 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:34

Red Bull with small problems, but they should crash test their chassis within next 10 days:

http://www.f1talks.p...aliczylo-testy/

#278 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 14:49

First of all, it's not my wish as I think it's great that RBR are around. However from Helmut's recent comments, there is an indication that Red Bull could pull out when they feel that F1 is not giving enough Return On Investment.

Secondly, as I previously said - if you can confidently predict not only RBR's performance, but all the other team's relative to it, in 2022 then you surely must have a great pair of crystal balls. Alas I think you are completely full of shit, and it's not the first time you've been wading in merde with your posts claiming to know it all.

Do continue though, it was just as humourous watching you at F1technical.

#279 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 15:10

Red Bull with small problems, but they should crash test their chassis within next 10 days:

http://www.f1talks.p...aliczylo-testy/

that seems pretty late?

Advertisement

#280 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,632 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 15:25

that seems pretty late?

why?

#281 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 15:32

why?

well what if it fails? that only leaves a little bit of time maybe a week before the first test?

#282 Zava

Zava

• 4,965 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 15:34

why?

because he's a mclaren fan who's hoping.  ;)

#283 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 983 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 17:31

well what if it fails? that only leaves a little bit of time maybe a week before the first test?

That is probably a calculated risk. Comparing to McLaren, who passed the test before Christmas, Red Bull have probably got two-three more weeks to work on the monocoque. Of course, if they fail, they will look rather silly. Which raises the question: how often does it happen that teams fail FIA's crash tests?

#284 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 17:32

That is probably a calculated risk. Comparing to McLaren, who passed the test before Christmas, Red Bull have probably got two-three more weeks to work on the monocoque. Of course, if they fail, they will look rather silly. Which raises the question: how often does it happen that teams fail FIA's crash tests?

Ferrari failed twice a few weeks ago I believe.

#285 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,632 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 17:43

Ferrari failed twice a few weeks ago I believe.

Failing a crash test is always a possibility, of course. But yes, it IS a calculated risk. If you watch the Horner Autosport Show interview, when asked the direct question about presence at the first test with the RB8, he only answered "that's the plan". They have missed the first test once in similar fashion, and it did not hurt them too much. Ok, now there is one test less, but development time seems to rule nowadays.

#286 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 17:45

I'm sure red bull know what they are doing they won the past two titles

#287 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 19:06

The RB7 passed crash test right before Xmas 2010, so the RB8 is 3 work weeks 'slower'.

#288 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:26

because he's a mclaren fan who's hoping. ;)

I'm sure red bull know what they are doing they won the past two titles

I believe Zava owes you an apology  ;)

#289 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 17:02

They will make it in time:

EliGP Pablo Elizalde
Red Bull confirms February 6 for the launch of its RB8 car

#290 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 17:45

They will make it in time:

They don't have to pass crash tests to launch their car so that's not confirmation. But yes I'm sure they'll make it.

#291 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 18:36

You're right, but I don't think they will bring new car only to test 2011 version :p.

#292 miniq

miniq

• 304 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 19:20

:lol:

#293 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,971 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 21:54

The RB8 has passed the FIA crash test with no problems.

#294 Zava

Zava

• 4,965 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 22:19

The RB8 has passed the FIA crash test with no problems.

thanks, good news.
I suppose it is a joseluis/truzone leak again? :p

Edited by Zava, 18 January 2012 - 22:20.

#295 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,971 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 23:26

thanks, good news.
I suppose it is a joseluis/truzone leak again? :p

Yes indeed. TruZone was spot on saying and maintaining Ferrari passed when in fact they did, so I feel like it's accurate. :)) At any rate we will hear in the next few days either way I'm sure.

#296 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 23:57

Yes indeed. TruZone was spot on saying and maintaining Ferrari passed when in fact they did, so I feel like it's accurate. :)) At any rate we will hear in the next few days either way I'm sure.

Just curious what they did to pass tests in all direction. Only from the front and nose?

#297 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,971 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 00:29

Just curious what they did to pass tests in all direction. Only from the front and nose?

Honestly I have no clue. I know that 2 people said Ferrari passed(Last week), then a couple minor publications cited some other "French & Spanish sources" as saying Ferrari failed. When in fact, it was in December that Ferrari failed the crash test in some capacity or another, not the most recent in which obviously they passed.
The source(TruZoneF1) said that Red Bull passed the crash test without problems. I'm sure one way or the other we will hear fairly soon(5 days) about the results of the test.

#298 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 13:12

Very harsh critism from AMS!
They are telling that RBR is loosing a lot of sympathie...... :up: and they are right!

Edited by puxanando, 19 January 2012 - 13:12.

#299 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 848 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 14:23

Sympathy from whom? People who can't stand them anyways? I couldn't care less that they try to hide their developments as long as possible. The car will be there for everyone to see when it hits the track.

Advertisement

#300 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 15:44

Very harsh critism from AMS!
They are telling that RBR is loosing a lot of sympathie...... :up: and they are right!

:lol: :lol:

To summise the article, those meanies Red Bull are launching the RB8 online with 'in-house reporting' rather than having a press-day. Obviously so they can regulate what pictures of the car are available pre-test, and AMS dont like it one little bit. As far as AMS are concerned, Red Bull should allow journalists and photographers to take photos of the car and put them online. Apparently they are losing sympathy for being so secretive and mean.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: