Photo

Tom Thorp R.I.P.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Arthur

Arthur

• 170 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 15:47

For information I regret to announce that Tom Thorpe has passed under the chequered flag.Tom and his wife Frances carry out a tremendous amount of work for the T.T. Riders Association and he will be sadly missed.
Tom competed successfully in the 50's against all the top racers of those days and I believe was the last A.J.S. works rider. Condolences to Frances and her family

Advertisement

#2 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 17:58

For information I regret to announce that Tom Thorpe has passed under the chequered flag.Tom and his wife Frances carry out a tremendous amount of work for the T.T. Riders Association and he will be sadly missed.
Tom competed successfully in the 50's against all the top racers of those days and I believe was the last A.J.S. works rider. Condolences to Frances and her family

That's sad news indeed. His sponsors in the early sixties were Pinks, a Harrow dealership; as a kid I remember gazing longingly at his 7R and Manx which were in the shop window, having come straight from that year's TT, fly splattered an all.

Somewhere on both the Pathe News archive and here, is a piece on Tom putting it across everyone at a big Aintree meeting around 1960; I'm pretty certain the opposition included, Bob Mac, Hailwood, Hartle TerryShep et al. It's out there somewhere but I'm buggered if I can find it at the moment.

http://www.britishpa...rd.php?id=42167

Edited by Russell Burrows, 06 October 2011 - 19:11.