Photo

Monte Carlo Rally 1955 colours

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fatbaldbloke

fatbaldbloke

• 51 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:50

Good afternoon. A bit of a long shot but it has been suggested that the vast pool of knowledge here may be able to help.

For a model building project I'm trying to find the colour of the Ford Comete driven by "Levegh" & Fraichard on the 1955 Monte. There's an excellent rear 3/4 shot of the car on page 157 of Louche's Monte history but this is in black and white and simply suggests that it was a darker colour. Does anyone happen to know the answer? Motorfilms' "Best of the Monte carlo rally in the 50s" apparently has 20 minutes of colour from the Standard archives, is this perhaps a vehicle that we see?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 14:08

Bump!

Over a month and no reply. Does anybody know?

From a standpoint of total ignornce, I expect that in 1955 it would have been a standard catalogue colour.

#3 tombe2

tombe2

• 17 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 23:08

Good afternoon. A bit of a long shot but it has been suggested that the vast pool of knowledge here may be able to help.

For a model building project I'm trying to find the colour of the Ford Comete driven by "Levegh" & Fraichard on the 1955 Monte. There's an excellent rear 3/4 shot of the car on page 157 of Louche's Monte history but this is in black and white and simply suggests that it was a darker colour. Does anyone happen to know the answer? Motorfilms' "Best of the Monte carlo rally in the 50s" apparently has 20 minutes of colour from the Standard archives, is this perhaps a vehicle that we see?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

The car in question can be seen in one of the very first shots of the above mentioned documentary. To me it appears to be either black or very dark blue.

Tom

#4 fatbaldbloke

fatbaldbloke

• 51 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:03

Thanks Tom.

We were waivering between dark blue and burgundy.

#5 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,591 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:49

FWIW there's another black and white photo of the car on this page:

http://rallyemontecarlo1955.unblog.fr/

(you need to scroll down quite a way to car #293)